Old 15th February 2001, 21:18   #1
Shyaleekins

Send a message via ICQ to Shyaleekins
Hi all.
What I would love to see appearing in Winamp is a function which copies all the files which are in the playlist into a folder, so that we don't have to spend hours ganging up all the files that we want to burn for our latest MP3 compilation for our portable MP3 player for example.

I do find making my own compilations a very long process, which can take me hours especially when I want to have a nice printed playlist, with the track numbers since the HTML autogenerated playlist does not contain the tracknumber (ie. 1 - [title] - [artist], 2 [etc...)

I would suppose such a function would require the tracks to be renamed "track0001.mp3" "track0002.mp3" etc, since I think that CD burning software burns in alphabetical order (at opposite to not renaming the tracks, meaning they will be burned in another order)

I really am no expert on the subject so you will have to forgive me.

I hope this topic has not already been posted, if so, sorry, I did not find it in the archives.

Feedback time! (even if you have some tips to how to do this with a batchfile or whatever)

Thanks for reading so far.

Shyaleekins.
Shyaleekins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2001, 01:49   #2
Shyaleekins

I have found some plugins which will act as disc writters, but did not find a straight forward one, which does not try recompressing my stuff or whatever... this message is visibly being treated as an off topic or something, I guess this exists but you are too busy telling me which plugin I should get, I guess my destination is the newbie chatroom then... Well so it shall be
Old 1st March 2001, 16:51   #3
Abraxa

Do you still need such a tool?

If yes then I can write one for you, shouldn't be too much work since I only need to read the tracks out of the playlist and throw the files into one folder and rename the files afterwards... or did I get you wrong?

Regards,
-Søren
Abraxa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2001, 17:18   #4
Shyaleekins

Yes please!

Yes dude, you did get it right, I would greatly appreciate such a thing, it would actually be wicked!

For the renaming, I guess I can write a batch file, sort of "rename $1 blabla01.mp3, rename $2 blabla02.mp3" etc, but if you can make a proper one which will tranfer all the tracks (which I am completely unable to do), that would be great since I still spend hours ganging up and renaming my tracks before burning them.

Thanks for taking the time dude.

CHEEERS!

Shyaleekins.
Old 1st March 2001, 21:12   #5
Abraxa

No problem, I think I'll have it done on saturday...

Regards,
-Søren
Old 1st March 2001, 22:10   #6
Abraxa

Humm...

I wonder whether you really want to lose the file infos by renaming the files to trackxxx.mp3?

I think it would make more sense to keep the original filename and put the number before it (as you also mentioned). The program which burns the CD will sort the tracks by the number and the original file order is retained.

But what is to do when a track already starts with a track number? For example "03 - Nightmares on wax - Nights interlude.mp3"?

It would be a bit silly to put another number at the beginning of the file and keep the other number.

So what do you think? In my opinion the best way would be to throw away the original track number and replace it by the number which the file has in the playlist.

So if it is stored as track #8 in the playlist it would become "08 - Nightmares on wax - Nights interlude.mp3".

Another thing: should winampCollector (that's the name of the tool) also create a playlist with relative paths? So you can load the playlist directly from CD if you want to listen to your mp3s on the PC... just wondering.

And still a question left:
Should wC also create a HTML playlist? You complained about winamp generating a useless one.
If yes - what should it look like and which infos do you want it to contain?

As an overview over my mp3 archive (for others to leech from it) I created a small tool which creates such a list:
http://www1.inetmail.de/Bitfummler/y...ist/index.html
Perhaps you want the HTML overview in a similar way, dunno...

Regards,
-Søren
Old 2nd March 2001, 04:39   #7
gtugg

Easier than EVER

I dont know what You are talking about, but without winamp i dont know where i would be with making CD's. All you have to do is use Napster, make a playlist, Save it, go to winamp and load the playlist, then make it a .wav from winamp (nullsoft diskwriter.....) make it to the folder you want, the whole process take about 20min. TOTAL depending on how many song you make .wav files.
gtugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2001, 06:57   #8
Abraxa

As he is talking of a portable mp3 player I don't think that he wants to burn an audio CD, that's what you are doing...

Regards,
-Søren
Old 2nd March 2001, 13:19   #9
Shyaleekins

You are right, it would be a bit silly losing the filename by rename it entirely, I don’t mind renaming them though since 1/The CDs I burn only are for listening rather than Storage, this tool can also be used for flashcards, in which case people don’t care about the filename either 2/I do all my ID3 tags 3/MP3 CD players display the file info from the ID3 and not from the filename (or so I think, mine displays nothing at all).

I think the best way to do your wC is to have two different functions: The “Burn to listen” which removes all folder info, file name (this is not all that necessary as you mentioned), and simply transfers everything in the order of the playlist, in a folder, assuring that the burn will be in the same order.

What could also be considered for a “Burn to Listen” function would be a simple ready to print playlist displaying the track number, artist, album and trackname. Album length, number of tracks, (in other words the same as the Winamp one but with the Track number in front)

ok, were I you, I would start with such a function for the few lads like me who don’t care about classifying and who just want to listen to their burned cd or their flashmemory mp3s in the same order as they had it in their winamp playlist, and have a little playlist printed.

Then I recogn the second function should be for burning for storage, in a much cleaner way.
Is that HTMP playlist autogenerated? Wow, many to many relational database, that sounds wicked to me

> I think it would make more sense to keep the original filename and
> put the number before it (as you also mentioned). The program
> which burns the CD will sort the tracks by the number and the
> original file order is retained.

> But what is to do when a track already starts with a track number?
> For example "03 - Nightmares on wax - Nights interlude.mp3"?

> It would be a bit silly to put another number at the beginning
> of the file and keep the other number.

> So what do you think? In my opinion the best way would be
> to throw away the original track number and replace it by the
> number which the file has in the playlist.

> So if it is stored as track #8 in the playlist it would become
> "08 - Nightmares on wax - Nights interlude.mp3".

Yup, this sounds brilliant to me!

> Another thing: should winampCollector (that's the name of the tool)
> also create a playlist with relative paths? So you can load the playlist directly from CD if you > want to listen to your mp3s on the PC... just wondering.

Wowowow, ok, I think we are not talking about the same tool here, the aim of the tool I am asking for is to listen to your MP3s in the order you want “without the use” of a pls or m3u playlist, for the use of MP3s in MP3 cd players and MP3 car stereos or FlashMemory MP3 players, the point I am getting at is that some people don’t care about classification on that CD, flash card, or hardrive (the creative player) since either the CDR is so cheap they can chuck it, or the flash memory will only hold these tracks for the day, etc. What I am picturing is the perfect “symbiosis” between winamp and a flash card, see where I am getting at? You have your playlist, and you can click export and all the tracks will be sent to the flash card with the one and only aim of being played in the same order as they were in the winamp playlist. And why not, have a little printed playlist so you know where track is which number on your portable player.

That is my aim. A tool capable of doing this I would use it at lease once a day, since I am looking forward to purchasing a flashcard MP3 player and would like to listen to my tunes in the same was as I do at home, and be able to put them from my PC to my MP3 player whistle having my morning coffee, and not spend 30 minutes doing this, but do it in less than 1

You seem to be more interested in MP3 classification, since just like me, you have 12Gigs of them, and would like to burn them in a clean way right? I am happy to give you the “user’s will” for this too, but I really think these should be two distinct tools.

You see the problem is that the user wants to store their favourite mp3s in a classified order, he might want to keep the folder info, in which case the CD will never be played in the right order by a portable player, this will also require a playlist relative to the path as you mentioned.

Can flashcards have a drive letter? If yes, imagine how awesome that would be, “export tracks to flashcard” and it writes it to that drive. It sounds like a great step forward to me, keep on churning at it I would concentrate more on this for now if I were you since not only is it an easier task, but long-term File storage as you are more planning on really is a headache.

Cheers.

Old 2nd March 2001, 17:33   #10
Abraxa

Thanks for your comments, I have to agree that I thought that I had to keep parts of the original file name to make archiving easier. Now I know that this isn't needed, so...

...I completed a first version you can play around with.
Please grab it from http://www1.inetmail.de/Bitfummler/winampCollect.zip and tell me if it is what you want, ok?

The playlist feature is yet to come, same goes for the numbering option.

As far as I know you can handle SmartMedia cards as virtual drives...
Right, you could use the tool for copying files onto them as well

Regards,
-Søren
Old 3rd March 2001, 19:21   #11
Shyaleekins

Link

Hey dude.
The link is broken, could you repost it?

Cheers.
Old 3rd March 2001, 19:56   #12
Abraxa

Shame on me.

Of course the link must read http://www1.inetmail.de/Bitfummler/winampCollector.zip

Regards,
-Søren
Old 3rd March 2001, 20:46   #13
emsiv82

mmmm... just use NERO!
It supports playlist D'n'D
=P

-=EmsiV=-
emsiv82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2001, 11:30   #14
Shyaleekins

Wicked!

Wow, wicked dude! That is going in the way I needed, really, that you do this for me or for others, I really appreciate! What are you intending to do next? Do you need suggestions?

By the way sorry for not communicating for a while, our proxy had a little problem, meaning I had no connection for a couple of days.

Would you ever concider integrating your program to Winamp itself? Like a plugin, or a DSP or whatever?

I would like to participate somehow, do you need a logo? If yes, along which lines? You can really go crazy on it if you like, I use Maya3.0 which allows you almost anything in CG.

I suggest we continue by Email, some dudes haven't *quite*
understood what we are doing here :0)

osb@ntlworld.com

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Wishlist