Old 13th December 2002, 01:53   #1
hestermofet
Major Dude
 
hestermofet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,763
I'm going to have to kill someone

I was all set to see a movie tomorrow. Unfortunately, not a single theater in my city is showing Heaven I absolutely LOVED Run Lola Run. The only movie which caught my interest at the moment that's showing is Solaris, which looks good, but not great. Definitely not worth the $12 or so it costs nowadays to see a movie in the theaters.

Why do I have to live in such a dump?

For the freedom to express myself in my own way without fear of being censored or banned.
hestermofet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2002, 02:01   #2
Bop
Forum King
 
Bop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 2,884
Save yourself the $12 and go to the library and pick up the original; Andrei Tarkovsky's Solyaris. I can almost guarantee it is better than the current one in theaters.

ßoþL¡©¡†¥
Bop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2002, 02:05   #3
dj_rigo
Senior Member
 
dj_rigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Santiago, Chile
Posts: 391
Quote:
Originally posted by Bop
Save yourself the $12 and go to the library and pick up the original; Andrei Tarkovsky's Solyaris. I can almost guarantee it is better than the current one in theaters.
or buy a porno mag!!! lots of fun and "self love".

i don't suck, right?
dj_rigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2002, 02:06   #4
Bop
Forum King
 
Bop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 2,884
While you're out picking up Solyaris, grab another Tarkovsky classic- Andrei Rublev. It's a 3 hour biography of an icon-painter in the midst of Russian war. A more poetic film I have not seen.

ßoþL¡©¡†¥
Bop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2002, 02:08   #5
hestermofet
Major Dude
 
hestermofet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,763
They're both on my list (although I checked the local libraries, both Uni and public, for movies as you suggested.... they don't have a very large selection).

For the freedom to express myself in my own way without fear of being censored or banned.
hestermofet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2002, 02:13   #6
Bop
Forum King
 
Bop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 2,884
On the topic of films, I went to see the new Bond film a few weeks back and I must say I was quite shocked at how different it was compared to the other 19! This was more in-line with the Mission Impossible series...

Regardless of the fact it was still quite entertaining... except for the final act of course. The Iceland scene was so well executed and so beautiful- why could they not have left well enough alone?

And the guy with the "expensive acne" was one of the best villians of any Bond film yet.

ßoþL¡©¡†¥
Bop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2002, 02:21   #7
I am Jesus
Major Dude
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Your mom
Posts: 1,555
Send a message via AIM to I am Jesus
where the hell do you live?
I am Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2002, 02:31   #8
Anacific
Major Dude
 
Anacific's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 1,744
Send a message via AIM to Anacific
In an igloo

"He who desires but acts not, breeds pestilence." - William Blake
WSPA | WWF | RSPCA | AAPA | Green Peace - Know and help...
The Rainforest Site | The Animal Rescue Site - Click and help...
Anacific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2002, 02:51   #9
hestermofet
Major Dude
 
hestermofet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,763
lol


Bop, I made a thread on Die Another Day somewhere around here. If you look for it, you may find it.

For the freedom to express myself in my own way without fear of being censored or banned.
hestermofet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2002, 03:09   #10
raydream
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 867
kill celine dione plz, ktnx
raydream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2002, 03:53   #11
Some1
Forum King
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: 14th Street Posts: (-1)^�
Posts: 2,236
aww...I thought this thread was going to be about me.
Some1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2002, 06:09   #12
Sandman2012
<3 foobar2k
(Forum King)
 
Sandman2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 3,203
Heaven was a very good film. I macked it in another thread (the one called "What Heavan is like" - nobody got it). It's been out in the states for a while. Have you asked around to see if it's coming to your town, or just bypassing the Canadian 'burbs completely?

Solaris was better than most movie sci-fi, but if your into philosophy (which I know you are) it falls short. I haven't read Lem's book, or seen Tarkovsky's version, but I'm sure they're both better based on thing people who know them. I will say that Sodherberg's version was beautifully shot and the score worked well.
Sandman2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2002, 07:32   #13
hestermofet
Major Dude
 
hestermofet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,763
According to Tribute.ca, Heaven isn't showing at all in Canada at the moment

Score and cinematography are top-notch? I will probably see it, then. Based on the trailer, it looked pretty beautiful...

For the freedom to express myself in my own way without fear of being censored or banned.
hestermofet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2002, 08:26   #14
Oni-Dracula
Registered User
 
Oni-Dracula's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 1,590
Re: I'm going to have to kill someone

Quote:
Originally posted by hestermofet
I was all set to see a movie tomorrow. Unfortunately, not a single theater in my city is showing Heaven I absolutely LOVED Run Lola Run. The only movie which caught my interest at the moment that's showing is Solaris, which looks good, but not great. Definitely not worth the $12 or so it costs nowadays to see a movie in the theaters.

Why do I have to live in such a dump?
Move to the US! We have moobies out the bung hole!

(anyone up for some ST: Nemesis?)
Oni-Dracula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2002, 08:43   #15
Sandman2012
<3 foobar2k
(Forum King)
 
Sandman2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 3,203
Btw, hester, if you loved Run Lola Run you should go rent The Princess And The Warrior as soon as possible. Also, written and directed by Tykwer, it blows ...Lola... away.
Sandman2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2002, 08:45   #16
binary hero
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 7,004
Send a message via ICQ to binary hero
Quote:
Originally posted by Bop
On the topic of films, I went to see the new Bond film a few weeks back and I must say I was quite shocked at how different it was compared to the other 19! This was more in-line with the Mission Impossible series...

Regardless of the fact it was still quite entertaining... except for the final act of course. The Iceland scene was so well executed and so beautiful- why could they not have left well enough alone?
was it? i thought it was pretty much exactly the same as the other 19.

i disagree with the iceland bit, just look at what they did in insomnia, that was real beauty, but the plastic 'ice' of the bond film was bleh.
binary hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2002, 12:28   #17
Dazfish
Senior Member
 
Dazfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: K-PAX
Posts: 187
Send a message via ICQ to Dazfish Send a message via AIM to Dazfish
i loved the scene where bond turned on his grippy tired and invisible mode and went backwards up the wall so the villain dude crashed mwuahaha, daz wants an invisible car now! *stomps feet*
Dazfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2002, 12:32   #18
binary hero
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 7,004
Send a message via ICQ to binary hero
Quote:
Originally posted by Dazfish
i loved the scene where bond turned on his grippy tired and invisible mode and went backwards up the wall so the villain dude crashed mwuahaha, daz wants an invisible car now! *stomps feet*
but...that was awful, for a start the camoflague was thiefed almost directly from Ghost in The Shell's 'thermoptic camoflague', and secondly it just looked crap.
binary hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2002, 15:11   #19
Orgone_Man
Major Dude
 
Orgone_Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Earth
Posts: 1,235
Quote:
Originally posted by binary hero

was it? i thought it was pretty much exactly the same as the other 19.

i disagree with the iceland bit, just look at what they did in insomnia, that was real beauty, but the plastic 'ice' of the bond film was bleh.
There is an actual "ice palace" in Iceland. It's actually more of an ice hotel w/ bar and restaurant.
Orgone_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2002, 15:15   #20
Dazfish
Senior Member
 
Dazfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: K-PAX
Posts: 187
Send a message via ICQ to Dazfish Send a message via AIM to Dazfish
Quote:
Originally posted by binary hero

but...that was awful, for a start the camoflague was thiefed almost directly from Ghost in The Shell's 'thermoptic camoflague', and secondly it just looked crap.
you are entitled to your opinion, i can see your point, but im still happy, things go bang, im happy, if its stolen from something else, but it still goes bang, im still happy

/awaits the re-release of 007 Die another onion, or the more aptly named, cheese another day
Dazfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2002, 15:45   #21
hestermofet
Major Dude
 
hestermofet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,763
Quote:
Originally posted by binary hero

for a start the camoflague was thiefed almost directly from Ghost in The Shell's 'thermoptic camoflague'
Give me a break The US military has been developing such technology since the 1980's. Predator also used a similar system.

For the freedom to express myself in my own way without fear of being censored or banned.
hestermofet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2002, 19:45   #22
Bilbo Baggins
Wind Chime of the Apocalypse
 
Bilbo Baggins's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: The Forest
Posts: 17,229
I am going to sit here and wait for the 18th to roll around.
Bilbo Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump