Old 25th November 2002, 04:26   #1
jyvasaa
Major Dude

your math/universe theories?

i just felt gd needed a place to discuss some of the things forummers believe. it can be related to mathematics the universe. i don't care how strange it is, as long it agrees with the forum rules, you can put it. before i get ready to type, you may post any mathematical oddities you find on the internet; just be sure to include the source. and most importantly, try to make some arguments to keep the discussion going.

---------------------------

i think that there is a close-to-neutral form of matter out there somewhere, i.e. it isn't antimatter or antiantimatter. i say close-to-neutral because if it was completely neutral it would be way too unstable to really exist imo. this neutromatter could serve as a bridge between matter and antimatter because it is not opposite to either (although it is slightly slanted towards one of them), thus allowing us to manipulate antimatter without destroying ourselves or some tool.

i also believe that every universe contains a single particle that has the property to dictate all of the universe's goings. it can physically/chemically change and apply forces to matter/antimatter/neutromatter, it can alter space-time and light, and it can intercept and transmit radiation/brain waves/light/ktp. it might just be able to create any of the three matters, but i doubt it. the changes depend on what happens to the particle, but it requires extremes of matter/forces to cause any change to the universe. because it can intercept waves of stuff, however, it can cause change to occur without the involvement of matter.

----------------------------

now begin

jyvasaa
jyvasaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2002, 04:35   #2
Jay
Moderator Alumni

I say there is more things that we don't know about ourselves and our environment then things that we do know. I was thinking to myself the other day in my calculus class that there could be a whole other system of thought and logic that we haven't descovered or defined yet.
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2002, 04:37   #3
s0be
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to s0be Send a message via AIM to s0be Send a message via Yahoo to s0be
I believe in the Kane-Hackman theory

/*
S0Be
*/

And On that day, the Lords of the land said unto their Master Architect, "The temple you have made to the gods of Wasabi and Maki has brought us no great prosperity" and they sent out him into the lands.

As he traveled to a far off land, he found he wasn't traveling alone, but that he had gained companions, and when they found their new land, they started work on a new temple, one that would be OPEN to all who wanted to worship.

from The Book of Wasabi C 12 Vs 09 (pg 2003)
s0be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2002, 07:02   #4
RanDom_ErrOr
Banned

Location: The loony bin, just outside of nutsville,USA. I would visit you, but my room is padded and i cant get out...
Send a message via ICQ to RanDom_ErrOr Send a message via AIM to RanDom_ErrOr
not a theory on the universe, but more on space time. i heard it once and it seems to make some sence to me.

imagine if u will that we are all in a "film room" with our different dimensions hanging from the celieng.
now this being said, he brought up a good point, which is this.

people who can "see" into the "future" are able to skip ahead a few frames, or they are seeing what is happening in another dimension, which is what could or couldnt happen. if the "seer" can see, why cant they jump.

now i know i have some "psychic" ability, because i sometimes "dream" about events the previous nights before it happens. not everything, but somethings. im sure some of u have been able to do this before. u will be in a situation and you will realise deja vous. *im not a spelling major* then it hits u and u realise that u dreamed it a previous night. u dont get the whole experience, just somethings, some important, some just letting you know that u can "see" into the future.

now with that being said, he brought up the point that, if we see it in our dreams, then our subconcious must play some part in the "seeing" of the future and then the jumping from place to place. if we could somehow "harness" this ability, through which method i dont know, we could move possibly easily between time, and possibly dimensions.

this also brings up some delemas and paradoxes, like always with time travel. what happens when we "jump" into a new frame, and we dont know how to get back? what happens to the "current" self in the "new" time line that u just jumped to. (the one u would be replacing.) but since no one has done it, i dont think we will ever know.

your thoughts, keeping in mind that its been a year since ive heard about this, but i seem to have remembered what he said, are welcome.
RanDom_ErrOr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2002, 08:03   #5
Dynamik

Send a message via AIM to Dynamik
I believe that as soon as the ability to travel at and above the speed of light is accomplished, so will be the feat of time travel. I think that something really messed up will happen and destroy earth while experimenting with this. I have tommorrow dreams, maybe this is a ten years from now warning coming from somewhere inside me.
Dynamik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2002, 09:34   #6
Dazfish

Send a message via ICQ to Dazfish Send a message via AIM to Dazfish
saddam has already achieved remote ime travel! hes pushing the entire UN back into 1990!

seriously tho, i do feel that 'time travel' as we see it in movies will never be possible, but to slow time down until it is effectively stopped will be easily done once we have achieved the ability to travel at speeds greater than c, ie, infinate accelleration
Dazfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2002, 09:48   #7
griffinn
Court Jester
(Forum King)

Send a message via ICQ to griffinn
I believe human beings are genetically programmed to never be able to get the right answers.

The smiley slot machine! | Quotable Blog
griffinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2002, 15:04   #8
zootm
Forum King

i believe that maths is an abstract system that can never be properly, fully applied to the workings of the universe. unfortunately, since it is the most accurate system imaginable, it's all we have to approximate understanding of the world around us in an rigourous way.

zootm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2002, 15:07   #9
binary hero
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to binary hero
there is antimass (antimatter is simply matter with an inverted charge, for example an electron has a charge of -1eV, and an antielectron has a charge of 1eV). I just don't see how the universe came into existence from nothing without creating antisomething.
binary hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2002, 21:37   #10
Aquila Blue
Major Dude

I personally am a fan of the Big Crunch theory, just because it's so cool, but I guess I'll have to wait until the mass of the universe is determined to see whether that will actually happen or not. Right now I think its not looking like the universe is going to collapse back on itself and re-explode, but seems like it's going to keep expanding forever... we need to find more mass!

Aquila Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2002, 21:56   #11
RanDom_ErrOr
Banned

Location: The loony bin, just outside of nutsville,USA. I would visit you, but my room is padded and i cant get out...
Send a message via ICQ to RanDom_ErrOr Send a message via AIM to RanDom_ErrOr
well we have the spoutings of the winamp forum users.... that should constitute as some mass
RanDom_ErrOr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2002, 22:26   #12
smeggle

zorbillas the space travellors were one period in time passing by the quadrant known as Xz1 G9er stear right. on this occasion though amphonono had been having a bit to much fale when he made a mistake and turned around the wrong way so went left instead of right.

unknown to amphonono, the dwerliens had been by and being the orrible little blighters they are had laid multiple chain space mines.
obviously there was one almighty big bang.....

many years later as science still wondered on the theory of the universes origin the earth was flattened to make way fro the new inter-galactic express (acknowledge "Hitch Hikers Guide To The Galaxy)
or on a more serious note (if I can find that possible):
this is some of what I believe,Love the Dark Lords with all your"Light" and they shall become one again withyou and once we join,So again can we break our curse and fly free in the Heavens once more.......
http://www.childrenoflight.com/
http://www.greatdreams.com/meditate.htm
http://www.seizethemagic.com/lol/04events/04oppor.html

and some books at barnes&noble..yahoo search
Old 25th November 2002, 23:23   #13
I am Jesus
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to I am Jesus
2+2=22
I am Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2002, 23:43   #14
dirkdeftly
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to dirkdeftly
Mine are too long to write out. Sorry. But I can hint at them: They involve 3 hippopotumi, Alfred Einstein and the number 53.

"guilt is the cause of more disauders
than history's most obscene marorders" --E. E. Cummings
dirkdeftly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2002, 01:15   #15
fish
Pretty Cool Guy

Send a message via AIM to fish
If you were to travel around the world counterclockwise (east if I'm correct) in under 24 hours would you go back in time or would everything just be snapped back in place at the international date line?

I swear, study halls can bring out the weirdest in your mind. Staring at the wall or formulating geographical time travel. Hmmm.

eh, heh.
fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2002, 01:49   #16
Merlin
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by Atero
Alfred Einstein
Who the hell was he?

as he faced the sun, he cast no shadow
Merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2002, 02:29   #17
dirkdeftly
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to dirkdeftly
I'm not telling (/me wishes that would be a greenguy face)

"guilt is the cause of more disauders
than history's most obscene marorders" --E. E. Cummings
dirkdeftly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2002, 02:59   #18
jyvasaa
Major Dude

it's albert einstein's uncle-in-law

which makes me think. it's kinda off-topic, but why is there no one single word for a simple concept "uncles and aunts"? i mean, you have "parents" for mother and father, "siblings" for brothers and sisters, "cousins" for male cousins and female cousins (in german such a word doesn't exist), and "grandparents" for grandmother(s) and grandfather(s) (add any amount of great-'s before that last one). why, then, is there no such word as "niecephews" or "great-siblings"? maybe i'll coin those someday

back on topic... just a little math oddity i found from this site (scroll down to #12)

code:
a = 9.999999...
10a = 99.999999...
10a - a = 90
9a = 90
a = 10

jyvasaa
jyvasaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2002, 04:46   #19
QHOBBES
Banned

Send a message via AIM to QHOBBES Send a message via Yahoo to QHOBBES
i believe 0/0=1, 0^0=0. i also believe time has a y and z axis much like
space does.
Quote:
there is antimass
I understand this and all except how you have inverted neutral charge.
maybe +- infinite charge?
Quote:
saddam has already achieved remote ime travel! hes pushing the entire UN back into 1990!
W. is also getting dumber by the second, kinda like Merlin, but in the
I.Q. department
QHOBBES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2002, 05:26   #20
SSJ4 Gogitta
Followed by Gnomes
(Forum King)

Location: West Virginia Googolplex: 10^10¹°° FB:/SSJ4.DominusDeus DeviantArt: DominusDeus XboX GT: A Wild Meeseeks Playstation 4: DominusDeus
Send a message via AIM to SSJ4 Gogitta
Quote:
Originally posted by jyvasaa
code:
a = 9.999999...
10a = 99.999999...
10a - a = 90
9a = 90
a = 10

Assuming it is an infinite number of 9's after the decimal...

10a - a = 89.999999999999......
9a = 89.999999999999.......
a = 9.999999999999......

SSJ4 Gogitta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2002, 10:00   #21
binary hero
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by SSJ4_Gogitta

Assuming it is an infinite number of 9's after the decimal...

10a - a = 89.999999999999......
9a = 89.999999999999.......
a = 9.999999999999......
yeah, what he said. maths is pretty much unbreakable
Old 26th November 2002, 10:40   #22
. - .... .- -. ....
Backpacking

Send a message via ICQ to . - .... .- -. .... Send a message via Yahoo to . - .... .- -. ....
I post my life-changing theories repeatedly under the guise of a signature

Like my photography? Buy some here....
. - .... .- -. .... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2002, 13:00   #23
binary hero
Banned

"the liver is evil and must be punished" <<ethan_h sig quote used by me, today
Old 26th November 2002, 13:29   #24
fwgx
Rudolf the Red.
(Forum King)

"Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is mearly energy condensed through a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, life is only a dream and we are the imaginations of ourselves. Here's Tom with the weather."

"Think of me as Chomsky with dick jokes."

.: fwgx.co.uk.:.My art:.

"We think science is interesting and if you disagree, you can fuck off."
fwgx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2002, 13:38   #25
binary hero
Banned

i have decided what my life's ambition will be! to diffract myself through a doorway. (according to my physics teacher, this is actually possible).

and now back to the thread:
Old 26th November 2002, 19:36   #26
zootm
Forum King

actually,

9.99999999... if it is an infinite series, is equal to 10, or at least tends to it.
well, never equal, but tends to it. hang on, i'll write down what i mean...
Attached Images
File Type: png maths.png (4.5 KB, 203 views)

Old 26th November 2002, 19:55   #27
Merlin
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by Phily Baby
I already do, Phily. So many dick jokes...

*the moral of this is this - maybe add an author note to your quotes so they make more sense

as he faced the sun, he cast no shadow
Merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2002, 20:38   #28
Raymund Nonatus

Quote:
Random quotes
i think that there is a close-to-neutral form of matter out there somewhere, i.e. it isn't antimatter or antiantimatter. i say close-to-neutral because if it was completely neutral it would be way too unstable to really exist imo. this neutromatter could serve as a bridge between matter and antimatter because it is not opposite to either (although it is slightly slanted towards one of them), thus allowing us to manipulate antimatter without destroying ourselves or some tool.

i also believe that every universe contains a single particle that has the property to dictate all of the universe's goings. it can physically/chemically change and apply forces to matter/antimatter/neutromatter, it can alter space-time and light, and it can intercept and transmit radiation/brain waves/light/ktp. it might just be able to create any of the three matters, but i doubt it. the changes depend on what happens to the particle, but it requires extremes of matter/forces to cause any change to the universe. because it can intercept waves of stuff, however, it can cause change to occur without the involvement of matter.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

seriously tho, i do feel that 'time travel' as we see it in movies will never be possible, but to slow time down until it is effectively stopped will be easily done once we have achieved the ability to travel at speeds greater than c, ie, infinate accelleration

there is antimass (antimatter is simply matter with an inverted charge, for example an electron has a charge of -1eV, and an antielectron has a charge of 1eV). I just don't see how the universe came into existence from nothing without creating antisomething.

I personally am a fan of the Big Crunch theory, just because it's so cool, but I guess I'll have to wait until the mass of the universe is determined to see whether that will actually happen or not. Right now I think its not looking like the universe is going to collapse back on itself and re-explode, but seems like it's going to keep expanding forever... we need to find more mass!
Funny, how some people can be absolutely assured about something they know nothing about. These are the same fools who were so certain that the world was flat, that human beings had 46 chromosomes, and that one particle can't be in two places at the same time.

Please, don't confuse knowledge with intelligence. Regardless of what you think you "know" about the world, you know nothing. Something, yes, you know, but there is no certainty about it. Furthermore, what you DO know is in such a tiny proportion to what you DON'T know that it is insignificant, and can be deemed "nothing".

Thank God, some of us still have intelligence about us:

Quote:
I say there is more things that we don't know about ourselves and our environment then things that we do know. I was thinking to myself the other day in my calculus class that there could be a whole other system of thought and logic that we haven't descovered or defined yet.
Raymund Nonatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2002, 21:59   #29
fwgx
Rudolf the Red.
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by [Merlin]

I already do, Phily. So many dick jokes...

*the moral of this is this - maybe add an author note to your quotes so they make more sense
But the fun is in the finding out.

Old 27th November 2002, 01:25   #30
zootm
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by Raymund Nonatus
Please, don't confuse knowledge with intelligence. Regardless of what you think you "know" about the world, you know nothing. Something, yes, you know, but there is no certainty about it. Furthermore, what you DO know is in such a tiny proportion to what you DON'T know that it is insignificant, and can be deemed "nothing".
funny how some people confuse words - see how those all started?
"i think" - "i believe" - "i feel" - "i <like>"

only one you cited had a certainty about it. the rest were regailing their theories in a fair way. people are entitled to think or believe what they like. stop denying them of that.

Old 27th November 2002, 04:05   #31
ujay
Forum King

code:

code:----------------------------------
a = 9.999999...
10a = 99.999999...
10a - a = 90
9a = 90
a = 10
----------------------------------------

This is just the standard algorithm for converting recurring decimals to fractions.

e.g.
code:

x = 0.142857142857142857 ........
100000x = 142857.142857142857142857 ........
99999x = 142857
x = 142857/99999
x = 1/7

It follows that the ability to put a number in the form of a recurring decimal is a proof of rationality.

UJ
ujay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2002, 08:42   #32
Sandman2012
<3 foobar2k
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by Phily Baby
"Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is mearly energy condensed through a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, life is only a dream and we are the imaginations of ourselves. Here's Tom with the weather."

OMG! I thought I was the only one here who liked Bill Hicks. w00t!
Sandman2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2002, 09:39   #33
fwgx
Rudolf the Red.
(Forum King)

Bill Hicks was great, I love him so......

Old 27th November 2002, 09:44   #34
Dazfish

Send a message via ICQ to Dazfish Send a message via AIM to Dazfish
Once upon a time everyone thought the world was flat, one day some dude says "i think the worlds not flat, im gonna go prove it", everyone says sure go ahead cya in hell except one guy who said...

Quote:
Funny, how some people can be absolutely assured about something they know nothing about. These are the same fools who were so certain that the world was flat, that human beings had 46 chromosomes, and that one particle can't be in two places at the same time.

funny eh? you indirectly claim that all theories made about things which nobody has any knowledge of are automatically false, however, that in itself is a theory since we have no knowledge of it in reality as nobody can ever be certain about such a claim, my point? exactly, i need not make a point, your theory proves itself wrong

imagine writing a program that contained a procedure that prevented that program ever being run even in the past -

...but thats just my theory ^^
Dazfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2002, 12:25   #35
SSJ4 Gogitta
Followed by Gnomes
(Forum King)

Location: West Virginia Googolplex: 10^10¹°° FB:/SSJ4.DominusDeus DeviantArt: DominusDeus XboX GT: A Wild Meeseeks Playstation 4: DominusDeus
Quote:
Originally posted by ujay
code:

code:----------------------------------
a = 9.999999...
10a = 99.999999...
10a - a = 90
9a = 90
a = 10
----------------------------------------

This is just the standard algorithm for converting recurring decimals to fractions.

e.g.
code:

100000x = 142857.142857142857142857 ........
99999x = 142857
x = 142857/99999
x = 1/7

It follows that the ability to put a number in the form of a recurring decimal is a proof of rationality.

UJ

99999x = 14285.571428571428557143

not 14285

x = 14285.571428571428557143/99999

x = 0.142857142857142857

Old 27th November 2002, 14:06   #36
binary hero
Banned

Quote:
Funny, how some people can be absolutely assured about something they know nothing about.
it's just opinion and i'd like to see you disprove any of it.
Old 27th November 2002, 14:26   #37
zootm
Forum King

Quote:
99999x = 14285.571428571428557143

not 14285

x = 14285.571428571428557143/99999

x = 0.142857142857142857
you are wrong.

Old 27th November 2002, 14:39   #38
SSJ4 Gogitta
Followed by Gnomes
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by zootm

you are wrong.
Every calculator in the world is wrong then.

i can clearly put in a calculator "99999 * 0.142857142857142857" and get the answer 14285.571428571428557143. not 14285.

Old 27th November 2002, 15:17   #39
ujay
Forum King

My fault here guys .

code:
Should have been :-

1000000x = 142857.142857142857142857 ........
999999x = 142857
x = 142857/999999
x = 1/7

Even so no calculator can handle recurring decimals without some sort of round off error. This is why algorithms of this sort are used to calculate true values. Try the corrected values and you will be back to something like 142856.9999995 ...

Try 142857 * 7

Sorry about that.

UJ
ujay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2002, 15:24   #40
zootm
Forum King

Quote:
Every calculator in the world is wrong then
which is exactly why you can't use calculators for this sort of thing.

if the numbers were an infinite series, then it would work. you don't have eternity to sit punching numbers into a calculator though.

calculators are really, really crap for doing maths with.

what did you change in the new version ujay? - i'm failing to see a difference...

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions