Old 26th November 2002, 00:59   #1
Independence

Send a message via AIM to Independence
windows 95, stable as a rock

im sitting here typing away on my windows 95 machine, listening to music, after playing Natural Selection (any Half-Life players here gotta check out that mod, its kickass), and i just started thinking. since reinstalling windows 95, i have has very few problems with it. it rarely crashes (compared to the infinitely unstable and glitchy windows 98), its about as stable as my windows 2000 and linux machines (not joking). in fact, the only program so far thats caused it to crash and burn was McAfee antivirus but that program is horrible on any OS except for XP (always had problems with it on my 2000 system). my only gripe is that i cant play GTA3 because the OS isnt supported but until i get rid of my TNT2 Vanta i wont be playing it anyway.
Independence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2002, 01:04   #2
Atmo
The Freak
(Forum King)

How stable??

Like running for 2 weeks without a restart, running multiple apps, having no problems whatsoever...

Or only crashing once or twice a week, getting restarted every few hours, and turned off at night?
Atmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2002, 01:12   #3
sgtfuzzbubble011

My record uptime for this computer is 2 days 1 hour 14 mins. I've got a 633mhz Celeron with half a gig of RAM, and I'm running Win98se.
sgtfuzzbubble011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2002, 01:16   #4
I am Jesus
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to I am Jesus
My longest uptime was about 2 days.
I am Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2002, 01:23   #5
Atmo
The Freak
(Forum King)

I've had mine up for 3 weeks once.

Current uptime only 4 days, 19 hours as i had to restart after another security update for xp.
Old 26th November 2002, 01:35   #6
smeggle

windows95,Stable as a rock

[ Slow as A Rock as Well
Old 26th November 2002, 01:39   #7
Independence

runs pretty well on my AMD Duron 800 MHz with 256mb ram.

Quote:
Originally posted by Atmo
How stable??

Like running for 2 weeks without a restart, running multiple apps, having no problems whatsoever...

Or only crashing once or twice a week, getting restarted every few hours, and turned off at night?
i do restart it every so often, usually after installing software that requires a restart and my parents are so uptight about money that they wont leave anything on at night (not even the VCR or DVD player ). but still, i put this machine under a lot of strain. windows 98se usually always crashed and burned (sometimes while compiling my install scripts), windows 95b keeps running, no illegal operations, no bluescreens, no bullshit.

Last edited by Independence; 26th November 2002 at 01:55.
Old 26th November 2002, 01:46   #8
smeggle

Quote:
Originally posted by Independence
runs pretty well on my AMD Duron 800 MHz with 256mb ram.
Sorry but I am trying not to take the piss but try XPpro (with the fix's ) You'll think your hitting warp speed.There is a definate difference and in stabibility to.But if your happy with it and it works for u well who am I to say ,but you just have to u know

<joke>
Old 26th November 2002, 01:50   #9
Atmo
The Freak
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by smeggle

Sorry but I am trying not to take the piss but try XPpro
Xp home is just as stable.
Old 26th November 2002, 01:57   #10
Independence

Quote:

i have a copy of XP Home. not happy with it. besides, i had some really strange shit happening before i blew it off and reinstalled 2000 on my other machine.
Old 26th November 2002, 01:57   #11
james
Forum PFY
(Major Dude)

and slower than Win2000 IMHO

He uses statistics like a drunk uses lamp-posts: for support, not illumination.
james is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2002, 01:58   #12
Merlin
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
(Forum King)

Quote:
I've had mine up for 3 weeks once.
!

Oh right, computer...

as he faced the sun, he cast no shadow
Merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2002, 02:18   #13
insomniac
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to insomniac
Longest Uptime: May 23, 2002 13:34 - July 16, 2002 22:48
insomniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2002, 04:39   #14
JADias1

Longest uptime: 4 days on a Red Hat Linux 7.2 machine, 466 Celeron, 288 SDRam...
anyway, i beleive that all windows except for 2000, 98SE and 3.1 are as stable as an upside down pyramid.
but bc i said that lets not turn this into another win vs Lin debate...
JADias1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2002, 06:43   #15
cgfiend

Send a message via ICQ to cgfiend Send a message via AIM to cgfiend Send a message via Yahoo to cgfiend
Win95? LOL

Using Windows 95 is like using DOS 3.0 when there's DOS 6.22 available. Windows 95 is redundant and outdated. Sure, it's stable, because it's the most stripped down version of Windows there is (besides 3.1, but who's counting that? LOL). What can you run on Windows 95 anymore? Half-Life is almost as old as Windows 95 is, no wonder it runs good on it. <grin> It's been almost 8 years now, isn't it time to upgrade to Windows 98SE at least? Windows 98SE is stable if you know how to treat it right. Of course, with any Windows OS, you end up having to blow the whole deal and reinstall from time to time. The exception for me has been XP Pro. I've not had a single problem with it. It's solid as a rock and takes anything I want to throw at it.

Here's what I have on my machines:
  • Home system: Win2k as primary OS, Win98SE as backup (dual boot) Longest up time is 2 months, with daily hard use (Win2k)
  • Laptop: WinXP Pro

Of course, this is all my opinion. I do think Windows 95 needs to be put to rest tho. It's extinct, like the dinosaurs.

On a sidenote, I'm not an Apple fan per se, but if it weren't for their proprietary nature and the lack of software support, Apple would be serious competition for the PC and Windows. It's gaining momentum. Maybe the tables will be turned one day and Bill Gates will be begging Steve Jobs for help with Microsoft when it's near bankruptcy. Wouldn't that be a twist. "Gee Bill, remember when you STOLE the Windows concept from Apple? Remember when you STOLE the mouse concept from Xerox? See ya!" M$ (namely Bill Gates) needs a lesson in humilty.
cgfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2002, 08:39   #16
Sandman2012
<3 foobar2k
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by [Merlin]
Oh right, computer...
You thought he meant some sort of time-release ******, didn't you?
Sandman2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2002, 08:50   #17
ctn|chrisw
Forum King

Quote:

Not really. I had xp home, reinstalled it like 30 times in a month. I put xp pro in the same pc, it doesnt lock up much, and the only time it is restarted is updates and power falures.

ctn|chrisw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2002, 10:28   #18
binary hero
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to binary hero
Quote:
Originally posted by cmw6988

Not really. I had xp home, reinstalled it like 30 times in a month. I put xp pro in the same pc, it doesnt lock up much, and the only time it is restarted is updates and power falures.
home IS the same as pro basically, only pro has one or two more features.
binary hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2002, 12:08   #19
Dazfish

Send a message via ICQ to Dazfish Send a message via AIM to Dazfish
ive got a p166, 64 megs ram (not my main comp lol) and its running win98se, admittedly i dont use it very often, just for testing websites, playing the occasional game of age of empires, and for file storage

due to windows 98 stupidity it forces me to restart every 49.7 days, ive hit that 3 times in a row now and it hasnt crashed once

my main comp is an athlon 1800+ with 1/2 gig ram and im running win xp pro, it went without a problem for over a month, i shut down every night and was a very good boy, now over the last couple of days its started to act up and is randomly closing things im doing and freezing for no reason even if im not even doing anything, bah, BLAME CANADA!
Dazfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2002, 12:28   #20
PabUK
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by binary hero

home IS the same as pro basically, only pro has one or two more features.
That is correct, and therefore it is just as stable. My laptop has had an uptime of several months now running Windows XP Home. It continually runs as an SMTP, FTP, HTTP (with PHP + mysql) server and also runs antivirus and a firewall at all times. It has never crashed!

In support of aggressive sex with llamas, and freedom from the obligation to explain.
Pawhosting.com | Pawsoft.com | Pawdesign.com | PabUK.com
PabUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2002, 15:41   #21
zootm
Forum King

give windows 95 a couple more weeks. it's fine until you use it for many things, regularly. its errors are cumulative though - lots of small problems mount up exponentially, and one day you'll be back to "shit. it did that yesterday. WHY HAVE YOU FORSAKEN ME, GATES?!".

such is the way with 95 installations, at least in my past.

zootm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2002, 17:58   #22
Merlin
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by Sandman2012
You thought he meant some sort of time-release ******, didn't you?
It's an intriguing thought. I heard that if you kept it up for more than six hours, the muscle tissue would be damaged and you would suffer permananent erectile dysfunction. Thus it was curious that Atmo had managed to sustain it for eighty-four times longer than the supposed 'limit'... I mean, how does one go about one's daily life with a permanent boner?

as he faced the sun, he cast no shadow
Merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2002, 20:36   #23
Independence

Re: Win95? LOL

Quote:
Originally posted by cgfiend
Using Windows 95 is like using DOS 3.0 when there's DOS 6.22 available. Windows 95 is redundant and outdated. Sure, it's stable, because it's the most stripped down version of Windows there is (besides 3.1, but who's counting that? LOL). What can you run on Windows 95 anymore? Half-Life is almost as old as Windows 95 is, no wonder it runs good on it. <grin> It's been almost 8 years now, isn't it time to upgrade to Windows 98SE at least? Windows 98SE is stable if you know how to treat it right. Of course, with any Windows OS, you end up having to blow the whole deal and reinstall from time to time. The exception for me has been XP Pro. I've not had a single problem with it. It's solid as a rock and takes anything I want to throw at it.

Here's what I have on my machines:
  • Home system: Win2k as primary OS, Win98SE as backup (dual boot) Longest up time is 2 months, with daily hard use (Win2k)
  • Laptop: WinXP Pro

Of course, this is all my opinion. I do think Windows 95 needs to be put to rest tho. It's extinct, like the dinosaurs.
i realize windows 95 is outdated and it cant play modern games but my video card cant play modern games either except for star trek bridge commander. and i could reinstall 98se but it's way too buggy to do anything serious with. maybe someday, when i get a video card that can play modern games, i'll toss windows xp on this machine again but after my previous encounters with "XP Hell" im kinda reluctant. i'll stick with windows 95 for now. i for one will never touch windows 98 again.

anyway, who doesn't like Half-Life? thats the best first person shooter in existance. its old but it still has a hell of a lot of players (i think its somewhere around 60,000 players on at any given time).
Old 27th November 2002, 04:43   #24
Sandman2012
<3 foobar2k
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by [Merlin]

It's an intriguing thought. I heard that if you kept it up for more than six hours, the muscle tissue would be damaged and you would suffer permananent erectile dysfunction. Thus it was curious that Atmo had managed to sustain it for eighty-four times longer than the supposed 'limit'... I mean, how does one go about one's daily life with a permanent boner?
Using a tongue depressor and several tight rubber bands.
Old 27th November 2002, 09:48   #25
Dazfish

Send a message via ICQ to Dazfish Send a message via AIM to Dazfish
Quote:
you are forgetting the iron underpants
Dazfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2002, 13:51   #26
binary hero
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to binary hero
Quote:

binary hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2002, 18:35   #27
Sandman2012
<3 foobar2k
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by binary hero

Old 27th November 2002, 18:44   #28
Merlin
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
(Forum King)