Old 1st December 2010, 20:51   #1
nitromix

Send a message via Yahoo to nitromix
YP become a bad joke?!?!

Hi Guys,

I check YP from Shoutcast from few days to understand how work now, because as i see it's full of bugs and no one work to fix this, is like a older woman and nobody looks at her.

I listen a lot SmoothChoice station (nice smooth jazz station) and from more than 1 month, maybe more, when i search on YP for that station .... surprise
http://yp.shoutcast.com/sbin/tunein-...pls?id=1273774

There are 13 different stations, and only one from that list or 2 it's real Smoothchoice Stream.

Guys? Somebody try to destroy SHOUTcast? Honest now, is just a bad joke to search for a station and to have that surprise to fin n that station many different other stations.

SHOUTcast works great many years without any update. I looking also on that SHOUTcast 2 Beta, what remain beta from one year and more and looks like never will be finish .

Guys, maybe is somebody there with a little brain, and fix this issue as is very frustrating for any listener or shoutcast server owner, to stream something and to be published another station on your name .

I use many years shoutcast server, in that period was great, not remain just a bad joke. I hope soon new streaming servers will be release as SHOUTcast stop to be anymore what was.

As i final suggestion: Better remove complete SHOUTcast Directory (YP), i don't think in actual mode of functions can be used by somebody else, or better just recover old YP version, that was brilliant.

All the best, and i hope somebody read and do something, not as i expect to happening that.
nitromix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2010, 06:17   #2
Jkey
Forum King

I will explain one more time slowly so you can understand.

The...
Sc staff...
that...
fix...
the...
yp...
are...
away...
on...
vacation...
It will be...
fixed...
when...
they...
return...

Shoutcast staff like you are human beings,they do not work 24/7 365 days of the year.
If you are upset by level of service you receive from this free service,move on to
one where you pay.

So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish.
Jkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2010, 06:53   #3
nitromix

Send a message via Yahoo to nitromix
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkey View Post
I will explain one more time slowly so you can understand.

The...
Sc staff...
that...
fix...
the...
yp...
are...
away...
on...
vacation...
It will be...
fixed...
when...
they...
return...

Shoutcast staff like you are human beings,they do not work 24/7 365 days of the year.
If you are upset by level of service you receive from this free service,move on to
one where you pay.
First please, is not necessary to be a little ironic, I'm not so dump as you believe
Second, this system work perfect many years till come this super-fantastic SHOUTcast 2 and all was destroyed.
3. Is not so free service as you suggest me, AOL win good cash from banner ads, and that is because we visit this page and many looking for favorite station (but get that surprise, bad surprise to listen another station).
4. From begin this new project gone in wrong direction, is a disaster to put together yp1 and yp2, this is the results, i don't understand why for SHOUTcast 2 you didn't made separated YP2.

I use from more than 8 years this server, also i listen many stations from shoutcast directory, but i'm not the only who say "before was better", that have to mean something.

Thanks for your time
nitromix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2010, 07:25   #4
Jkey
Forum King

First,today I am in a bad mood,you noticed this.

Quote:
3. Is not so *free service* as you suggest me, AOL win good cash from banner
ads, and that is because we visit this page and many looking for favorite
station
The cost of all the bandwidth used and the staff that are needed to maintain it,
is not covered by banner advertising, when you visit shoutcast.com or listen
to aol bandwidth sponsored stations ,it helps recover some of the costs involved.

I am sorry you are experiencing problems,I know it is frustrating.
I don't think destroying everything and starting again is going to fix things.

J.

Old 2nd December 2010, 12:18   #5
Qmusica

And whilst the staff are on vacation, the stations owners are steadily looking for other alternatives, such as Icecast.
I, for one, wouldn't leave my radio station in a non-functional state to take a vacation. If I did, it would mean the end of my business.
Either do it properly or don't do it at all. And the fact that the banner advertising isn't paying is probably down to the fact that YP2 is far too chaotic for the public to adhere to.
I'm not blaming the staff for taking vacations, rather the "executive" decisions of AOL. They had a potential gold mine, and have turned it into a circus.
Qmusica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2010, 13:09   #6
DrO

right, i'm going to do what i can but as i cannot work out what part of the site code stored in the code repository (that's probably let the cat of the bag for certain things now) is what is up on the site i'm going to struggle at the moment to get anything resolved but i need to make sure that what i'm seeing is correct first.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

however YP2 is dealing with legacy clients (all of the streams in http://yp.shoutcast.com/sbin/tunein-station.pls?id=1273774 are using a 1.9.8 DNAS with all linux bar one win32 instance) it is not leaving individual stations as it should do and i can only guess some sort of hashing or something like that done on those streams is giving the same (incorrect) result and so making YP2 think they all belong to the same stream (which obviously is not the case).

however i've just searched for SmoothChoice and it servers up http://yp.shoutcast.com/sbin/tunein-station.pls?id=696032 for me which only gives streams relating to that station from what i can see but not the two parts i've done in red

and whilst making this post i've just refreshed the page a few times and now 1273774 is coming up again though there's only one instance linked to it so something is caching / indexing against the wrong information at some point for those other streams hence leading to weird playlist created against 1273774. it's almost like if the station isn't connected to the YP at the time that it goes out of sync and the id somehow gets re-used.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2010, 13:51   #7
Jkey
Forum King

Since all this responsibility is falling on one pair of shoulders,
May I advise you to stay away from traffic,If you get hit by a bus
we are all screwed again

keep up the good work.

Old 2nd December 2010, 13:56   #8
Qmusica

Just to summarise my particular problem, if it helps;-

(A) About 1 month ago, my station disappeared from YP. I've had the same slot for about 5 years.

(B) When it returned (48 hours), I noticed that it was relaying song titles from another station.

(C) About 50% of the time, my listing would link to my station, 50% of the time to the wrong station.

(D) Today, my station has, once again, disappeared from YP.

(E) I have restarted both encoder and servers, tried disabling "PUBLIC ON YP" for a few hours, with no positive response to the problems.

(F) These problems began when I added a relay server. We changed ports from 8000 to 8500 on this secondary server (8500 had never been in use before), no difference.

If there is ANYTHING I can do from my end, please let me know. I'm using a SIMPLECAST encoder, linking to s1.viastreaming.net:7420 (primary server), which is then relayed to 64.34.187.144:8500 (secondary server).
Qmusica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2010, 15:29   #9
bored_womble
Winamp's Womble

Basically at the moment it appears there is perhaps 1 or possible 2 people who have access to the code, but perhaps no one who can make any significant changes to the servers/databases/operation issues.

This is an absolute travesty given it appears people want to help , Dr O/Jkey just being 2 I can see commenting at the moment, but so little access and perhaps understanding of the systems leaves it to chance how it all falls out.

I suspect the YP2 issues may have had some impact on the YP overall, but given how they differ in operational calls I suspect more that YP1 (I'll call it that for my clarity) has had so little house keeping over the last 12 months it has gone from a leaky boat, to counting down the minutes until it sinks completely.

There should be blame here ( none of this corporate no one is to blame crap) as ultimately it was a good directory, with some good stations all wanting to feel part of something unique. Now it is pretty much worthless and worst of all has effectively hung the stations out to dry as some had become reliant on the directory (ok that was a little stupid on their part too).
So who is to blame ? no doubt they still have a job, even though AOL has shifted many staff out of the way, and will continue to bumble about providing no resource and no concrete solutions, shame on them!

Here endith my rant.

BW

Without open minds the world will die. Open yours and correct the mistakes you are making right now.
bored_womble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2010, 02:54   #10
Jkey
Forum King

@bw
I have no access to anything,you give me far too much credit.
And again the people who do deal with this stuff are away on vacation.

Be thankful that DrO is even trying to help,I sure am.

edit:
Look into the staff cuts that took place across the corp at the beginning of the year.
The mess you see today could be the caused by this.

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Discussions

Tags
shoutcast yp