Old 18th August 2006, 16:07   #1
Triton4
Major Dude

Was the cashier being rude?

I go to a local store to buy stuff, and I pay the cashier wallet & put it into my pocket and leave; this process takes just about 3-4 seconds. But this is where I felt kinda bad - usually the cashier, after handing over the receipt with change, waits for me to put everything in place and set myself before leaving. But today, this cashier gave me the change and said "can you move?" almost immediately (when I had just about opened my purse).

I felt bad because almost all cashiers I've met have been very patient and courteous with me, i.e. they wait for me till I get set - except this guy.

What is your opinion on this? Was the cashier being rude to me, or was it a mistake on my part?
Triton4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2006, 16:21   #2
Rocker
Hiding in plain sight (mod)

i would have complained, he sounds like a moron.

morons should not be in customer service.
Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2006, 17:28   #3
rohan_pwln
Major Dude

/My 1st post after a looong time...

Well.. may be he was just pretty jerked off or whatever... you don't meet good people always... so jus plain forgive that poor o'l guy (to forgive is divine )

My MAKI contribs.: STONE
My WebSite My Blog My Skins: fnk 32 Rioport v1 Sienna Burning Steel
My Saying: Eat healthy, Stay fit... Die Anyway
rohan_pwln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2006, 18:21   #4
fastingaciu
Major Dude

Maybe he was just in a bad mood.

Btw you have a purse?

Those who can do, do; those who can't do, teach.
fastingaciu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2006, 18:34   #5
Warrior of the Light
Forum King

Of course he was rude - you're a customer, his job is to help you.

Jesus loves you [yes, you] so much, he even died for you so that you will not need to die, but live forever
Warrior of the Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2006, 19:04   #6
rockouthippie
Banned

There is this gal at the Albertson store up the street. She has red hair fairly attractive and is just NAS...TEE... I remember waiting for a cab one night with my groceries. Her husband was 5 MINUTES LATE picking her up. OMG!.

She makes me laugh, although I try not to do it in front of her.

I always make especially sure to greet her warmly when I see her to see what nasty thing she'll say.

I was kidding the store manager about her. I said "Does she permanently have a bee in her bonnet?." He smiled and said. "Yeah, pretty much, but she works hard."
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2006, 19:09   #7
CaboWaboAddict
Forum Sot
(Major Dude)

Quote:
Originally posted by Triton4
...But today, this cashier gave me the change and said "can you move?" almost immediately (when I had just about opened my purse). ...Was the cashier being rude to me, or was it a mistake on my part?
Maybe he was feeling a little homophobic?

Idiot's Advocate
My site (under construction)
CaboWaboAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2006, 19:24   #8
Razzinno
Piffle Producer

You opened a "purse" up in front of a man and it was at this time he told you to move out of the way?

I can't see a connection at all...

I'm guessing since you mentioned a wallet, that the purse was a coin purse? In any event, hell yeah, the guy was rude. What, no one can wait 10 seconds?
Razzinno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2006, 02:14   #9
dlichterman
Forum King

I'd say that person just had some sand in his vagina

Software is like sex: It's better when it's free.-*-If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0-*-Guess the band from pics game
dlichterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2006, 03:10   #10
LuigiHann
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to LuigiHann
One question overlooked: Was there a line? If there was someone behind you, maybe he noticed that person looked impatient, or something.
I can't tell you how often I want to yell at old people who take five minutes to get organized while people wait in line behind them...
but still, it's his job to be polite and patient, so he should have at least asked nicely, even with a line.

Who is the milkman? What is the purpose of the goggles?
LuigiHann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2006, 03:28   #11
missyob
Angel of Winamp

The cashier was very rude but like rohan_pwln
said to forgive is devine.
missyob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2006, 06:50   #12
MidnightViper88
Made In The USA
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88 Send a message via Yahoo to MidnightViper88
Never forgive...

Go back to the same cashier and make your next payment in pennies...

MWA-HAHAHAHA!!!

"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
MidnightViper88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2006, 08:11   #13
dlichterman
Forum King

oh god we had this one old guy pay in all change for something that was like 10 dollars......we didnt need any change rolls for a while after that

Software is like sex: It's better when it's free.-*-If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0-*-Guess the band from pics game
Old 19th August 2006, 11:57   #14
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

Quote:
Originally posted by MidnightViper88
Never forgive...

MWA-HAHAHAHA!!!

I like you.

He was rude and when he asked if I could move, I'd have said "Sorry, I don't dance with guys."
ElChevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2006, 12:57   #15
NJK
The Frisian Spamfighter

Quote:
Originally posted by fastingaciu

Btw you have a purse?
next post is going to be about slapping cashiers with handbags
when they are rude to you at the moment you put your money back in your purse-------

Each Thursday a new show on Celtica Radio with Darkwave music.

WINAMPSHOUTCAST
NJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2006, 14:45   #16
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

Or pull out a gun.
Old 19th August 2006, 17:22   #17
eheiney
und keine Eier!

Send a message via AIM to eheiney
Quote:
Originally posted by MidnightViper88
Never forgive...

MWA-HAHAHAHA!!!
I've had this happen quite a few times. I'll kindly tell the customer that I can't accept his or her payment unless the coins are rolled. If they refuse, "Right down the street at Martin's is a CoinStar machine. They will be more than happy to give you cash in exchange."

Spiral out, my friend. You will find your way back to yourself, we all will.
I'll be waiting, and shall see you on the other side...
eheiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2006, 17:51   #18
ScorLibran
Resident Floydian

"Can you move?"

Don't complain about them, manage them.

I would stop what I'm doing, entirely. That's VERY important to make sure you have their complete attention, as well as that of anyone else nearby. An observed lesson is always more valuable and memorable than a private one. Once you've stopped moving, look at the cashier squarely in the eyes and in a firm, quite tone, say, "You'll wait until I'm ready to move." Then, after pausing another second or so after completing the sentence, look at the objects in your hands and proceed to do what you were doing before at the same normal speed...putting your change in your wallet, etc. Do NOTHING different than you'd have done if the cashier hadn't said anything. This is also important for the lesson. It teaches them that you set the course of events, not them. And that you weren't taking any outrageous amount of time to complete the activity...them waiting 10-15 seconds for you to stow your change, credit card, etc. is quite reasonable, and is common.

This sort of "quiet assertiveness" is very beneficial to people in need of such lessons. I do this frequently with rude people, especially rude service people. And it has always worked, at least at the time of delivery. Everyone in earshot falls quiet and pays attention for the few seconds the lesson takes. So you're also potentially teaching more people than just the rude cashier.

Whether they remember to behave themselves later, I can't say. But at least I've done my part by giving them the lesson.

And this whole strategy takes practically no time. My response to the rude remark takes less than one second to plan in my mind, and execution adds no more than 5 seconds to the activity at hand. And plus, it just feels to good to be assertive and fearless in public. Not easy for everyone, but it does get easier with age for most people.

I'm a psychosomatic sister running around without a leash.
ScorLibran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2006, 18:02   #19
rohan_pwln
Major Dude

now now now.. don't u think it's getting to be sorta mountain-outa-a-mole thingy??

My MAKI contribs.: STONE
My WebSite My Blog My Skins: fnk 32 Rioport v1 Sienna Burning Steel
My Saying: Eat healthy, Stay fit... Die Anyway
rohan_pwln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2006, 18:12   #20
Bilbo Baggins
Wind Chime of the Apocalypse

Hmm, I am like this with customers all the time. Goddamit I am not going to wait hours for you to fiddle about with putting your change and receipts and cards into their own compartments. Do it in your own time.
Bilbo Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2006, 18:15   #21
SSJ4 Gogitta
Followed by Gnomes
(Forum King)

Location: West Virginia Googolplex: 10^10¹°° FB:/SSJ4.DominusDeus DeviantArt: DominusDeus XboX GT: A Wild Meeseeks Playstation 4: DominusDeus
Send a message via AIM to SSJ4 Gogitta
So you expect them to push their cart away, while holding in one hand an open and exposed wallet, and the other a fist full of change and who knows how much in bills?

No thanks, I'll gladly take 15 seconds or so and put them away on the spot before I begin moving.

SSJ4 Gogitta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2006, 18:55   #22
ScorLibran
Resident Floydian

Quote:
Originally posted by rohan_pwln
don't u think it's getting to be sorta mountain-outa-a-mole thingy??
Quote:
Originally posted by ScorLibran
And this whole strategy takes practically no time. My response to the rude remark takes less than one second to plan in my mind, and execution adds no more than 5 seconds to the activity at hand.
Considering the value of the lesson to the student, this is a tiny donation of time and effort.

More than happy to do my bit to improve society. And it's fun, too.

Old 19th August 2006, 18:55   #23
rockouthippie
Banned

Oooohhh Gaaawd!. I was in laiyn at the stooore, and some brute asked me to moove while I was closing my puuurse, and then my panties just got all in a bunch.

Isn't that special.
Old 19th August 2006, 19:49   #24
psyfive
Forum King

"Can you move?"

I would have told him "yes, yes I can." and the completed putting my stuff away at the same pace.
psyfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2006, 20:31   #25
rockouthippie
Banned

I woulda said "Sure, have a good day." and moved. Call me weird
Old 19th August 2006, 21:52   #26
ScorLibran
Resident Floydian

Reaction will vary by strength of character. Everyone's different.

But if someone doesn't gently guide folks like the person described in the OP, they'll never learn. It only takes a few seconds and is completely stress-free for everyone involved.

Old 19th August 2006, 22:09   #27
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
Reaction will vary by strength of character. Everyone's different.

But if someone doesn't gently guide folks like the person described in the OP, they'll never learn. It only takes a few seconds and is completely stress-free for everyone involved.
Maybe you teach manners by showing them. Maybe dude/ette is just having a bad hair day?. In the case of NAS...TEE at the supermarket, maybe she's just having a bad hair life Even she is diffused by manners and usually just grumbles something kurt, instead of saying out loud when I say "Have a nice day".

If you get the groceries in the cart, and don't put cans on top of my bread, it's cool. I didn't need my butt kissed.

Last edited by rockouthippie; 19th August 2006 at 22:48.
Old 20th August 2006, 02:24   #28
LuigiHann
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to LuigiHann
My judgement still hinges on whether or not there was a customer behind Triton.

Who is the milkman? What is the purpose of the goggles?
LuigiHann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2006, 02:52   #29
ScorLibran
Resident Floydian

I don't put any priority on the conditions. It's never acceptable to say something like that to a customer under any condition. I don't care if there was no one else in line, or 5000 people in line.

100% of sales revenue comes from customers. Treating them with ignorance is shitting in your nest.

I get tired at work too. I have bad days. Sometimes I have extraordinarily bad days. It's a very simple matter of being a grown-up and controlling yourself.

Old 20th August 2006, 04:30   #30
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

It may just be me but I could also muster up a response along the lines of "Can you suck my dick?"
Old 20th August 2006, 05:30   #31
eheiney
und keine Eier!

Send a message via AIM to eheiney
Quote:
I don't put any priority on the conditions. It's never acceptable to say something like that to a customer under any condition. I don't care if there was no one else in line, or 5000 people in line.

100% of sales revenue comes from customers. Treating them with ignorance is shitting in your nest.

I get tired at work too. I have bad days. Sometimes I have extraordinarily bad days. It's a very simple matter of being a grown-up and controlling yourself.
For those who may not know, I work at a gas station. While I would never do what Triton4 described, I've sure thought about it with one customer in particular.

Every day this man comes in to buy a can of tobacco and some instant lottery tickets. The employees are constantly harassed by this man; he is very rude and obnoxious. "Oh, Jesus Christ. You're still back there? You don't ever give any winners away," he says, speaking of the lottery tickets. He once tried to scare me while standing on a ladder, stocking cigarettes with my back turned. I gave him a dirty look to which he replied, "I was hoping you'd fall off and break your neck."

I'm supposed to take that shit every day? I completely agree that it's up to the employees to control themselves and be courteous to the customers, but I also think this should go both ways. I'm a pretty nice guy, but I don't take very kindly to uninvited abuse. If I weren't such a nice guy, I would tell this guy to kiss my ass. Believe me, the business would not collapse without him.

Spiral out, my friend. You will find your way back to yourself, we all will.
I'll be waiting, and shall see you on the other side...
eheiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2006, 06:43   #32
hgnis
Hobbit Humper
Forum King

Scor, your tactics will likely get you shot down here in TX. Though, I would recommend flinging the change in the mofo's face then saying "How you like dem movements?" prior to exiting.

I am so important I feel the need to let it be known like a liberal discovering the internets for the first time. Uh hur hur hur. I also wash myself with a rag on a stick.
Realitybites
<3
hgnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2006, 08:48   #33
dlichterman
Forum King

Denkensiefursich puts it exactly how I was going to say it. How much shit are we supposed to take shit from customers? Whats even worse is that we usually break our own rules just so the customer doesnt complain to corporate because then they(corp) will ask us why we didnt break the rules to help the customer. Its freaking retarded-one example:

1. The return guy works M-F, 10-5:30.
2. We are open 10-6 and sat 10-4.
3. "We are not supposed to do returns"

What happens? Too many complaints so we have to get trained and deal with return when the return guy isnt there, which he also seems to take 100000000 breaks a day.

Old 20th August 2006, 09:55   #34
NJK
The Frisian Spamfighter

i deal with those idiots each day
i don't care if they say things about the company
i don't care if they don't like the products we offer
I stay polite, let them finish what they need to say

but

as soon as they start to get personal , i warn them once, the second warning goes with ending the telephone call, with the exact words i always use

if you sir/madam can't stop using those words and you keep insulting me the conversation ends here, have a nice day, goodbye.

I can fully understand that people are angry , disappointed but there is a line that no matter what the company did is not crossed. attacking my person for something i did not do.

WINAMPSHOUTCAST
Old 20th August 2006, 13:13   #35
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

You know what I also deem as rude behavior?
When you purchase something, say thank you and they say "Yep"
Old 20th August 2006, 14:08   #36
Rocker
Hiding in plain sight (mod)

better than them saying "well, fuck you too"
Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2006, 15:37   #37
ScorLibran
Resident Floydian

Quote:
Originally posted by denkensiefursich
I'm supposed to take that shit every day?
Absolutely not. There's a line over which a customer is asked nicely to leave, then forcefully removed by authorities.

But in the original example, it was a completely uncalled for rude comment by a cashier to a customer who had not been rude or out-of-line. I've fired employees for less.

Quote:
Originally posted by hgnis
Scor, your tactics will likely get you shot down here in TX.
I've done it in Texas, among other states. They tremble just like anyone else when given an assertive, unexpected response. It's human nature. I'm just taking advantage of it, that's all.

Quote:
Originally posted by spaceplay
I can fully understand that people are angry , disappointed but there is a line that no matter what the company did is not crossed. attacking my person for something i did not do.
Amen.

But (relating this to the original post), it's never acceptable for the cashier/service person/etc. to be rude when the customer has been nothing but courteous, or at least quiet.

And actually, it's never appropriate for a cashier to be rude in any situation. If the customer gets out of hand, then employees should call the police and reasonably protect themselves until the police arrive.

If an employee can't deal successfully with an irate customer who hasn't yet "crossed the line", that's when the cashier calls the manager to deal with the situation. It's also a CYA move for the cashier. If the cashier loses control of the situation rather than calling a manager, then they could be fired. I've certainly fired people for that.

Maturity brings the ability to deal with any situation calmly and without speaking out of turn in any way. Be better than them; set an example; train them. I've talked down many, many pissed off people using a very relaxed tone. It tends to work better than yelling or being mean towards them. It gets their attention in a way you can't understand until you try it.

Even if I have to sweep their legs and pin their arms behind their back on the floor, I'm still polite yet assertive.

Showing anger is the forte of the weak minded. I never let anyone bring me that low. But that's just my own position on the subject.
Old 20th August 2006, 16:15   #38
Bilbo Baggins
Wind Chime of the Apocalypse

Quote:
Originally posted by SSJ4 Gogitta
So you expect them to push their cart away, while holding in one hand an open and exposed wallet, and the other a fist full of change and who knows how much in bills?

No thanks, I'll gladly take 15 seconds or so and put them away on the spot before I begin moving.
Then pay with sensible amounts of cash so you minimise how much change you are having to deal with
Bilbo Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2006, 16:28   #39
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

Two words:

Debit card
Old 20th August 2006, 16:30   #40
NJK
The Frisian Spamfighter

Quote:
Maturity brings the ability to deal with any situation calmly and without speaking out of turn in any way. Be better than them; set an example; train them. I've talked down many, many pissed off people using a very relaxed tone. It tends to work better than yelling or being mean towards them. It gets their attention in a way you can't understand until you try it.
how true

the harder customers start to yell , the slower i start to talk back to them , i keep my voice on one tone without raising it no matter how hard they yell.
9 out of 10 times i succesfully calm down the customer to have a serious talk about his complaint.
( often it's just a matter of telling them how to use it or in our case ( cable company) with the telephone service we provide a wrong type telephone ( one that is dtmf instead of fsk)

the 1 customer i cannot calm down is the type that gets personal and gets disconnected after the second warning to keep it on a proffesional base instead of going after my person.

WINAMPSHOUTCAST
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions