Old 10th June 2006, 04:02   #1
lumper5

YP not listing stream

Hello:

I can't seem to get one of my streams listed in the yp. My low bit rate stream (port 9324) shows up. My 128kBs one, at 208.100.15.165:9328 does not. The log file for 9328 indicates that yp added me sucessfully, but it never gets "confirmed" by the SHOUTcast Directory Tester.

Here's the tail of port 9324

(UID: 85)[L: 1]{A: SHOUTcast Directory Tester}(P: 0)
<06/09/06@21:07:03> [yp_add] yp.shoutcast.com added me successfully
<06/09/06@21:08:12> [dest: 207.200.98.4] connection closed (81 seconds) (UID: 85)[L: 0]{Bytes: 331500}(P: 0)

verses that of 9328:

<06/09/06@21:35:26> [source] icy-nameeeper-Into-Music ; icy-genre:Various
<06/09/06@21:35:26> [source] icy-pub:1 ; icy-br:128 ; icy-url:http://www.deeperintomusic.net
<06/09/06@21:35:26> [source] icy-irc:#audiorealm ; icy-icq:dim ; icy-aim:dim
<06/09/06@21:35:27> [yp_add] yp.shoutcast.com added me successfully

I had serveral days where my dsl was going up and down every 30 seconds while I was away and I know I hit the yp 100s of times (only the 9328 port was running at that time).

Even though yp indicates I'm added, is that some banning process that is keeping the tester from verifying the stream and adding it to the public yp?

What can I do to solve this problem?

Both encoders are set up the same (except for the port) and both are defaulted to show up on the public yp.

Thanks!
lumper5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2006, 04:44   #2
hackerdork
Forum King

everyone knows. 20 or more complaints and new posts a day. its happens and not much you can do. its not your server is shoutcast.com getting hit hard with stations all the time.

~ According to the ship's log we're down to our last 3000 vomit bags.It'll never be enough.
search the forums! don't PM me on how-to, or ask me to setup you system. you do it so you learn.
hackerdork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2006, 04:53   #3
lumper5

I would understand it if this were reproducable on both ports. However, only ONE of my ports is "ignored" by the tester. I can re-start, kick or drop port 9324, wait 10 seconds, re-start server and that stream will re-appear 100% of the time. The directory tester comes by and adds it. However, on port 9328, I can do the same thing, and nothing. Looking at the logfile, the directory tester stopped testing port 9328 on 2 June. I have re-started about 125 times since then.

Port 9324 was just re-started and the directory tester found it immediately.

It simply leads me to deduce that port 9328 is being ignored for some reason.

But, thanks for your reply. I'd already read most of the other statements of problems w/yp. I thought mine was a little outside the norm, since one of my streams always gets listed and one always gets ignored.
lumper5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2006, 08:07   #4
Nick@ss

there is more than 1 directory tester so it may only be one yp server that you have issues with..

unfortunately theres nothing you or we can do to help you resolve your problems apart from wait it out

this link might help..
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....hreadid=248155

Last edited by Nick@ss; 10th June 2006 at 09:14.
Nick@ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2006, 13:13   #5
dotme

This link also

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....58#post1953558
dotme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2006, 03:26   #6
dwacc

Ok so it's getting to the point where I'm almost afraid to ask about this issue, since mods seem to be getting fed up with discussing it, but I'd appreciate if some things were clarified:

1. A reply said "there's nothing you or we can do." By that, do you mean that some other department is in charge of fixing it and that we'll all have to wait until they get around to it? Or do you mean that this isn't a fixable bug, one that's caused by server-stress, and that nobody'll be "fixing" it ever?

2. One post said the yp-listing problem is caused by master/slave servers being out of sync, but I think it was posted a while ago. Is this still the cause of the problem?

3. There've been some posts saying that if you change your stream's port from 8000 to something else, your station gets re-listed, and apparently this has worked for some but not for others. Is this a real fix? (and yeah, I tried it)

4. Can you please update the "no stations" sticky with a status-report? I think the reason the debate persists is not so much that people don't know there's no fix for it, but rather that they just want to know what's going on and how long this might last.
dwacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2006, 08:34   #7
Nick@ss

ill try and answer these questions for you as someone that is around here a lot and has a little idea of what is happenining to the yp...
the mods may come and correct me but this is only my perception of what i have worked out.

1. A reply said "there's nothing you or we can do." By that, do you mean that some other department is in charge of fixing it and that we'll all have to wait until they get around to it? Or do you mean that this isn't a fixable bug, one that's caused by server-stress, and that nobody'll be "fixing" it ever?

remember this is a free listing that is maintainained at aol/nullsofts cost hardware and software that they will fix when they get round to it if they have the abillity to do so.
if it were an easy fix im sure it would have been done by now,

2. One post said the yp-listing problem is caused by master/slave servers being out of sync, but I think it was posted a while ago. Is this still the cause of the problem?

we have had no updates since that post that i have seen.

3. There've been some posts saying that if you change your stream's port from 8000 to something else, your station gets re-listed, and apparently this has worked for some but not for others. Is this a real fix? (and yeah, I tried it)

did it work? if not you got you answer.
these things have been tried and tested by some of the users and it may or may not work,
if it were an official fix im sure we would have been told about it but then all that may happen is the yp could fall over again as it just appears overloaded these days, shoutcasts popularity makes it something worth paying for a proper listing to be maintained (maybe something for the future)

4. Can you please update the "no stations" sticky with a status-report? I think the reason the debate persists is not so much that people don't know there's no fix for it, but rather that they just want to know what's going on and how long this might last.

this is a good idea but if they knew how long it would take to fix i reckon they would have fixed it..

most of the old shoutcast programmers are not around anymore so this puts a massive dependancy on the guys that are left and probably very busy...but i do agree a few regular updates would be nice but it hasnt really been the pattern so far

please dont read any malice in this post as it was not intended that way...

Nick

Last edited by Nick@ss; 11th June 2006 at 08:50.
Nick@ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2006, 12:12   #8
letsrock

Hi
I have a similar problem. When i start the shoutcast server on my home computer, it adds me to the stream list. But when i start the shoutcast server on my root server, it says "error connecting to yp.shoutcast.....
The servers are running on the same port, no firewall is active...
letsrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2006, 12:36   #9
dotme

Quote:
Originally posted by letsrock
Hi
I have a similar problem. When i start the shoutcast server on my home computer, it adds me to the stream list. But when i start the shoutcast server on my root server, it says "error connecting to yp.shoutcast.....
The servers are running on the same port, no firewall is active...
Similar, but not the same. "Error connecting" messages are usually DNS or route-related. The only remedy I know for that one is to wait it out.
Old 18th June 2006, 13:05   #10
milosz

YP not listing my hosted stream......

I am using Viastreaming to host my little stream, and although I advertise and have a web site, etc., since the Shoutcast YP started ignoring me, my listeners have dropped by 60%. It's a real small operation and I count on Shoutcast to help listeners find me.

Here' the logfile, you can see me connecting my source and although YP says it added me, there's never an entry showing that the directory tester has connected or tried to connect. Then, later in the log I get NAKs and extended error 100's - seems to me that no way should a COMERCIALLY HOSTED server have bandwidth, firewall or routing issues such that YP is getting NAKs- does that mean this is just a problem at Shoutcast / AOL HQ and there's nothing I can do about it?

LOG EXCERPT

<06/18/06@08:35:41> [source] connected from <IP address edited out>
<06/18/06@08:35:41> [source] icy-name:AUDIO NOIR ; icy-genre:Hardboiled Old Time Radio OTR
<06/18/06@08:35:41> [source] icy-pub:1 ; icy-br:48 ; icy-url:HTTP://AudioNoir.com
<06/18/06@08:35:41> [source] icy-irc:N?A ; icy-icq:N/A ; icy-aim:HardBoiledNoir
<06/18/06@08:35:43> [yp_add] yp.shoutcast.com added me successfully
<06/18/06@09:35:45> [yp_tch] yp.shoutcast.com gave error (nak)
<06/18/06@09:35:45> [yp_tch] yp.shoutcast.com gave extended error (100)
<06/18/06@09:40:46> [yp_add] yp.shoutcast.com added me successfully
<06/18/06@10:40:46> [yp_tch] yp.shoutcast.com gave error (nak)
<06/18/06@10:40:46> [yp_tch] yp.shoutcast.com gave extended error (100)
<06/18/06@10:45:47> [yp_add] yp.shoutcast.com added me successfully
<06/18/06@11:13:46> [dest: 70.18.210.150] starting stream (UID: 59)[L: 5]{A: WinampMPEG/5.0}(P: 0)
<06/18/06@11:45:47> [yp_tch] yp.shoutcast.com gave error (nak)
<06/18/06@11:45:47> [yp_tch] yp.shoutcast.com gave extended error (100)
<06/18/06@11:50:49> [yp_add] yp.shoutcast.com added me successfully
milosz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2006, 14:18   #11
dotme

Yep - that's pretty much it. This isn't a ViaStreaming problem. There isn't much anyone can do except wait and hope it gets fixed. I had the luxury of being able to change ports on the servers I had that were affected. Since I did that, I have had no problems. But changing ports with a stream host isn't easy. All I can suggest at this point is to read the stickies and file your own report with SHOUTcast via email. Perhaps if more people report the problem, it will get more attention. Who knows...
Old 18th June 2006, 14:25   #12
fc*uk

what is odd is, inspite of the nak errors, it seems as if the yp is still adding the station. Usually, an error message would folow the nak, not [yp_add] .....
fc*uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2006, 22:45   #13
MegaRock
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to MegaRock Send a message via Yahoo to MegaRock
<06/18/06@11:45:47> [yp_tch] yp.shoutcast.com gave error (nak)
<06/18/06@11:45:47> [yp_tch] yp.shoutcast.com gave extended error (yp.shoutcast.com borked. try again later)

Megarock Radio - St. Louis Since 1998!
Don't click this link!
Corporate Radio Sucks! No suits, all rock!
MegaRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2006, 19:31   #14
stormy316

i also noticed that if your server drops source and you get the remove yourself message that when your source returns you get the nak error and have to set up a dif port
stormy316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2006, 19:53   #15
dotme

Nullsoft Dev is aware of the issue. It is being worked on. Patience is the key now.

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....38#post1962638
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Technical Support