Old 19th June 2002, 14:35   #1
CraigF
Passionately Apathetic
Administrator

WA3 Build 478 RC1

Thought this was worthy of its own thread, so anyway:

The latest build is available from Deskmod at:
http://www.deskmod.com/files/news/fi...8_talkback.exe

It includes Talkback, which is a piece of software that allows you, the tester, to report crash data back to Nullsoft, (people who tried mozilla will probably be aware of this).
For more WA3 related Talkback news, check Aus' post here.

Deskmod's report of 478 being feature complete is misleading, im not saying its wrong, but, well, its wrong. Some components still arent there, configurification didnt make it into the build.
the crossfader defaults to the software one, rather than peters hardware one, possibly because config is lacking for peters components.

Peter is working on fixing config for his components, and was given a working config.wac to play with. Once he updates his plugins, an updated wa3plugz.exe will be available, until that time wa3plugz.exe is out of date

478 IS RC1, afaik there will be no OFFICIAL RC1, however, if RC1 is to go onto the front of winamp.com and replace beta3 (highly likely) AND there are big bugs in RC1 that get fixed before that time, it is likely that either:

1) There will be a build #479 RC1, or
2) A 478 RC1 that is updated, or possibly
3) A 478 RC2 (muhahaha).

Clearly the former would be the better plan, or even the latter

For those who want an SDK, I believe that at this time, you will have to wait until Thursday afternoon PST for nsdn to be updated, at which time you can expect both the build, AND the SDK to be uploaded.
For future reference, these should appear on NSDN, unless Aus slacks off, in which case you can bitch at him here (dont forget to abuse his canadian heritage).

I'll add more to this as I think of things, If anyone has any questions, just reply, and dont forget, keep tuned to your number one wa3 resource, the wa3disc forum!

CraigF

[edit]Nobody told me wa3plugz was delayed[/edit]

Old 19th June 2002, 14:43   #2
Rocker

/me loves build 478
....btw winamp3 plugz hasn't been updated yet
Old 19th June 2002, 16:33   #3
schweitn
Winamp3 Component Guuuru
Beta Team

Send a message via AIM to schweitn Send a message via Yahoo to schweitn
And for all of you people who I'm sure will ask... the 2x Plugin Manager is being updated as we speak (with playlist functionality - hehe).

But don't expect it right away - there were a lot of SDK changes between Beta3 and RC1. The version that worked with Beta 3 WILL NOT work with RC1. Period.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
- Albert Einstein

Winamp 3 Projects | Winamp 2x Plugin Manager | Explorer Playlist | FileSystem Object | Shoutcast List | Sashimi
Old 19th June 2002, 17:44   #4
dlichterman
Forum King

HOLY SHIT!!!!

Wow I come back to the web site and 478 kicks ass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Software is like sex: It's better when it's free.-*-If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0-*-Guess the band from pics game
Old 20th June 2002, 01:52   #5
Scar Da Kookee
[Forum Pastry]

Quote:
<Scar> a version of wa3, that the user can deside how meny bar he wished to use for sound output
<neko> would be a pain to code
<Scar> and if that make of winamp is made, theres gotta be a skin for that
<Scar> i know. but it'd be cool
<Scar> you think you could do it?
<Scar> mostly if your using a dll file made with C++ you'd use a select case statement to tell the skin script and waveout feaquency to change when case is Number
<neko> hm, it should work if you mess around
<neko> maybe rc1 will allow that]
<Scar> but, the only problem is i could do it, but not only that i dont have the info on what things are being used to call out for the wave out buffersm i dont really have C++
<Scar> but in any which way, do you think its a good idea?
<neko> yup
<Scar> esp, for low to high end computers
<Scar> shuch like yours
<Scar> such*
<Scar> see, everyone thinks my idea is a good idea
<Scar> but no one wants to code it
<neko> lol
<Scar>
well? how bout it?
otherwise saying that: must have version of wa3 that can have an option that the user can adjust the number of eq bars he wants, esp for people who use slow to fast machines. (lower resorce useage VS higher qualities of sound)

Needs more moo-cows.
Old 20th June 2002, 06:45   #6
s0be
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to s0be Send a message via AIM to s0be Send a message via Yahoo to s0be
from a mathemetician's point of view...

(quoting radiskull)

VERY BAD

(end quote)

because of the abundance of VBR mp3s, and what would be required to do an FFT on the output to allow this, anything over what is being done already in wa3, aside from them using hardware acceleration, increases the overhead at an exponential rate.

(besides, you SHOULD notice little to no difference by having 12 over 8 sliders anyways, unless you're on crappy speakers. If you're on good enough speakers to notice the difference, you probably sholud have purchased cheaper speakers and bought a real amp/tuner)

/*
S0Be
*/

And On that day, the Lords of the land said unto their Master Architect, "The temple you have made to the gods of Wasabi and Maki has brought us no great prosperity" and they sent out him into the lands.

As he traveled to a far off land, he found he wasn't traveling alone, but that he had gained companions, and when they found their new land, they started work on a new temple, one that would be OPEN to all who wanted to worship.

from The Book of Wasabi C 12 Vs 09 (pg 2003)
Old 20th June 2002, 07:01   #7
ernesto_05

kind of semi-problem

i got #478 rc1, and its cool. but when i try to load my playlist it frequently fucks up and only gets to song 900 or something.... comes up with an error msg saying
"error parsing xml layer (all.bpl)
not well formed at line 3693"

DAMN THAT LINE
it shits me so hard.
Old 20th June 2002, 07:26   #8
mc^^^^
Forum King

Location: Perth, Australia MSN: mcbriar@ii.net Posts: All your posts are belong to me!!!!
i have found build 478 seems to use heaps of memory, after closing 478 and trying to play counter-strike, i was getting 4fps (usually 99). im not sure if this was winamp3 or just some other thing but it seems to load alot slower than 477.

configurifaction is gone too, i thinks maybe there will be a RC1-B.

i dunno if you have noticed this but when u load thousands of songs into playlist they seem to scroll down as they are added. when they are scrolling open like 'my computer' and slowly move it around over the lower part of the playlist. - nice effect.

oh and have a look at the 'rust' colour preset

oh and another thing, it doesnt remember some of the component windows postitions, and whether they were open on close or not. (playlist, media library, avs)

Old 20th June 2002, 07:30   #9
mc^^^^
Forum King

Location: Perth, Australia MSN: mcbriar@ii.net Posts: All your posts are belong to me!!!!
oh and one FINAL thing (i hope), when updating id3 tags winamp3 should say 'temorarily stopping playback' in status bar so it stops the file - updates id3 - then resumes from where it left off.

ok another thing (this is like my fith 'edit post') avs presets change on random, but when i try turn it off they keep changing. it wont stay on one preset

Old 20th June 2002, 11:43   #10
HarderBeatz

Send a message via ICQ to HarderBeatz Send a message via AIM to HarderBeatz Send a message via Yahoo to HarderBeatz
Does the autoplay on start up feature work with anyone ? I'm not bitching it just doesn't seem to work except the first time after install.
Old 20th June 2002, 15:24   #11
Schlirf

Send a message via ICQ to Schlirf
Well this RC1 is great! Now the only thing that prevents me to migrate from 2.80 is the lack of a "Stop after current" functionnality...

Even if it is not available in the final release it could still be achieved using some timer plugin... but I think the new SDK is needed to do that
Old 20th June 2002, 15:29   #12
ernesto_05

thanks my friend

thanks N e m e s s i s, ill try that again, i thought i did that, but its entirely possible that i made an error along the way.... but yea, all in all it looks pretty cool.

thanks again

joe
Old 20th June 2002, 21:12   #13
nothin2g

Location: Zeil, wo der Wein wächst und gesoffen wird wie Wasser ;) Ohweeeehhhh... Posts: overflowed
did anyone notice that the clutterbar is missing?
And easymove in components would be cool
and there's a bug with the opacity:
if i open the thinger and set the opacity to a value < 100% my cursor begins to stutter and moving the window is very slow. but when i resize the thinger window ( and back to the same size...) everything like moving the window and my cursor is very fast. did anyone notice?
this bug could only exist at systems with no graficcard accelerated alphablending like mine (e.g. kyro2). same thing with the splashscreen opacity effekt. it's _VERY_ slow and my cursor stutters.
too slow for an amd with 1200 mhz. (i have compared it with other programs...and my cursor doesn't stutter when i click through the start menu *G*)
sorry for bad english
HTH,
nothin2g

Last edited by nothin2g; 20th June 2002 at 21:42.
Old 20th June 2002, 22:17   #14
ReDVsion
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to ReDVsion Send a message via AIM to ReDVsion Send a message via Yahoo to ReDVsion
is anyone else having problems closing windows with the upper-LEFT hand corner button?

I think I can finally use WA3 full time - was always too buggy up until this build.

?
Old 21st June 2002, 01:29   #15
Whismerhil

Closing Windows with the upper-left hand corner button does not work ... it does not crash or anything else ... just do nothing
Same thing for Configufication ... when clicking on it does not appear
Then, in the preferences when i chose the media to play ... they aren't keep highlighted ... don't know if it's desired or not ...
Anyway i guess i will keep it as my full time mp3 player ... Winamp is great ... sigh ... it's just a Beta ... final will kick ass
Old 21st June 2002, 20:04   #16
SNYder
Forum King

what the heck is up with options for scaling and transparent windows. they disappeared from the right click menu and appeared in the Thingers top left button drop down menu. If that was the way it was for all the windows then would rock the casbah... that'd be better then where it was; in the old right click menu. Anyway... ifthey keep it in only the Thinger, it might just hafta get physical up in here
Old 21st June 2002, 23:23   #17
nothin2g

Location: Zeil, wo der Wein wächst und gesoffen wird wie Wasser ;) Ohweeeehhhh... Posts: overflowed
i have used the "O" in the clutterbar very often to go to the preferences but it would be very easy to skin/script it. but i'm to lazy to learn scripting
Old 22nd June 2002, 13:29   #18
Russ
Mostly Harmless
(Alumni)

Wow... it's really looking good now. My plugins won't be updated until there's a configurification again, so I'm sticking with 477 until then .

As for the scaling and transparency options, from what I gather they'll be in the corner menu on all the windows eventually (indeed, it is in the playlist editor window as well).

Talkback is a great idea, it saves everyones' time . How does it work on the developer side? Do you still need us to report bugs in Bugzilla (I've found a few )? Heheh we need an open-source alternative to talkback it's a great tool.

Update: 2 hours of my abuse and only one crash - I'm impressed

For long you live and high you fly, but only if you ride the tide, and balanced on the biggest wave you race towards an early grave.
|Musicbrainz|Audioscrobbler|last.fm|

Last edited by Russ; 22nd June 2002 at 15:30.
Old 22nd June 2002, 14:39   #19
CraigF
Passionately Apathetic
Administrator

Quote:
sig wacked. fix your .htaccess! ~CF <- now the sig rules =)
hahahahaha, i remember that.

Old 22nd June 2002, 17:28   #20
Plague
f(caffeine){
return wasabi;
}
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by Sawg 2.0
>> did anyone notice that the clutterbar is missing?

If I rememebr correctly it was hated in WA2. I doubt you will see it in WA3.
I'm constantly using 'o' 'i' and 'v' in the clutterbar.
I like it, shortcuts to most used stuff are great.

sure it's possible to add those things in a skin, we're doing just that in the Wa2 - Wa3 skin converter..
Though we cannot make it 100% like in wa2, ofcourse, but we're trying to emulate the clutterbar menus as accurate as possible.
(speaking of that, there are upcoming additions to those menus in a later release of the converter)

I would actually like a clutterbar in Wa3 default skin, there are enough room for it in the same place as in wa2.
Though, I would suggest some changes to it, if made.

Here's my suggestion for a clutterbar:
1. options menu rock, add compontnts menu and skins menu to it as sub menus and it'll rock even more.
2. AOT can stay, once the user wants it to be always on top, it should be fast and easy to switch to and from.
3. file info box rock, it stays.
4. doublesize isn't needed that much so it can be skipped or replaced by something better such as scale submenu and opacity submenu.
Doublesize could stay as a fast option above the other submenu's.
5. well, since visualizations are handled in a far better and easier way in wa3, that item isn't useful in the same way anymore.
replace it with, maybe a skin modification menu, containing: color themes submenu, fast and easy to switch color theme.
aswell as a add-ons/skinmods submenu, for the same reason.

Just some suggestions.

-Plague
Old 22nd June 2002, 17:34   #21
nothin2g

Quote:
Originally posted by CraigF

hahahahaha, i remember that.
somewhere i have a screenshot of the "owned" forum
Old 22nd June 2002, 18:31   #22
Lactobacillus

To counteract the everyone-is-pro-clutterbar image: I hate it.

BTW: Scaling and Opaque are still there, just click on the + button of a window (this works not some like Main Window, Equalizer, ... in build 478).

BTW: Dunno but I don't think that Configurification will come back, but there might be an interface for setting up third party components in Perferences.
Old 22nd June 2002, 18:42   #23
Bizzeh
Forum Pirate
Beta Team

is there any difference between the #478 in NSDN and the 1 on deskmod?
Old 22nd June 2002, 19:14   #24
Russ
Mostly Harmless
(Alumni)

I don't think so - if one 478 is different from another that would just be rediculously confusing .

For long you live and high you fly, but only if you ride the tide, and balanced on the biggest wave you race towards an early grave.
|Musicbrainz|Audioscrobbler|last.fm|
Old 22nd June 2002, 19:15   #25
Plague
f(caffeine){
return wasabi;
}
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by Lactobacillus
BTW: Scaling and Opaque are still there, just click on the + button of a window (this works not some like Main Window, Equalizer, ... in build 478).
yes, I know that, did I ever say they weren't there?
A clutterbar is like a bar of shortcuts, ie: FASTER access to stuff.

Quote:
BTW: Dunno but I don't think that Configurification will come back, but there might be an interface for setting up third party components in Perferences.
Configurification will be back..
I can assure you that.
They better bring it back, coz preferences isn't half as advanced.

-Plague
Old 22nd June 2002, 20:04   #26
nothin2g

/me wants the clutterbar back, NOW!
they could implement it with a very cool (bloated?!) animation (some alpha blending or so..)

Old 22nd June 2002, 20:20   #27
QHOBBES
Banned

Send a message via AIM to QHOBBES Send a message via Yahoo to QHOBBES
i know we're not suppose to post bug reports in here but b3 is still
the current one on main page and i could see how this one could go
MAJORILY over looked.

Goto the ID3 editor, and rename the Artist "M" without the quotes.
Now in the playlist it will show up as "My Documents"
Old 22nd June 2002, 22:57   #28
CraigF
Passionately Apathetic
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Bizzy D.
is there any difference between the #478 in NSDN and the 1 on deskmod?
the #478 on nsdn may not have talkback since its usually a copy of the internal build (copied from the same location), in which case, it is likely identical, and i dont remmeber seeing any talkback in my build.

Old 22nd June 2002, 23:45   #29
Plague
f(caffeine){
return wasabi;
}
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by QHOBBES
i know we're not suppose to post bug reports in here but b3 is still
the current one on main page and i could see how this one could go
MAJORILY over looked.

Goto the ID3 editor, and rename the Artist "M" without the quotes.
Now in the playlist it will show up as "My Documents"
hehe, cool...
that's not a bug, that's a FEATURE
or perhaps an easter egg

j/k

-Plague
Old 23rd June 2002, 00:41   #30
bonj
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to bonj
Quote:
Originally posted by mc^^^^
it doesnt remember some of the component windows postitions, and whether they were open on close or not. (playlist, media library, avs)
Go to config > system > display, and uncheck "enable optimized window placement"

heh?
Old 23rd June 2002, 02:39   #31
QHOBBES
Banned

Send a message via AIM to QHOBBES Send a message via Yahoo to QHOBBES
bonj, that would work... in theory (communision)... if there was a
config in #478!

I consider it a bug because the for song "Pop Music" by M it displays
it as "My Documents - Pop Music" when it should display "M - Pop Music"
Old 24th June 2002, 07:06   #32
SNYder
Forum King

hmmm... when i put in "M" it doesn't say "My Documents", it says "Music"...
Attached Images
File Type: png music.png (94.3 KB, 274 views)
Old 24th June 2002, 07:22   #33
SNYder
Forum King

Interesting... I took a look at the image I uploaded above and realized I was keeping the song in a folder inside a folder called Music. SO I tried moving the file to the E: drive and as I guessed, it no longer said "Music" as the title. It just says "M", as it should. But then I moved the file back to the original folder and it some how returned the title (only in the scrolling display) back to the actual artists name even though it still said "M" in the ID3 tag. So I tried renaming the file and the scrolling display went back to displaying "Music". So I un-renamed the file so it was named what it used to be name, and the scrolling display showed the actual artists name again. Last but not least, I tried pressing the "Update" button in the info editor so that the ID3 tag would be re-written, and just like I suspected, now it said "Music" in the artist display again.

as you can see, I'm bored.
Old 24th June 2002, 10:50   #34
nothin2g

for me it displays "Morpheus" for "M". My music is in the morpheus folder, yes
Old 24th June 2002, 16:14   #35
Orkybash

Quote:
Originally posted by QHOBBES
bonj, that would work... in theory (communision)... if there was a
config in #478!
Yeah, it works. You just have to realize that when Bonj said "config" he meant "preferences."
Old 24th June 2002, 21:34   #36
bballer182

Holy crap! I've been laid up for the last couple of days well almost a week and look what happens. First my big thread gets bumped and the build #478 (RC1) comes out. Wow that's a lot of stuff to happen within one week!

478 (RC1) rocks

Way-to-go

WinLAME, the best FREE Mp3 Encoder | Find WindowClass Spy Utility
Winamp ICON PACK is back! HERE
Old 24th June 2002, 21:40   #37
dlichterman
Forum King

Quote:
Holy crap! I've been laid up for the last couple of days well almost a week and look what happens. First my big thread gets bumped and the build #478 (RC1) comes out. Wow that's a lot of stuff to happen within one week!
YOU SAID IT.

I lost everything but my MP3's and a clean install of XP.

Dont bother me, I'm listening.

Software is like sex: It's better when it's free.-*-If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0-*-Guess the band from pics game
Old 25th June 2002, 17:43   #38
bballer182

Quote:
Originally posted by dlichterman

YOU SAID IT.

I lost everything but my MP3's and a clean install of XP.

Dont bother me, I'm listening.
Lucky for me i have my Mp3's and other misc. syuff that i hold very highly on a secondary HD

WinLAME, the best FREE Mp3 Encoder | Find WindowClass Spy Utility
Winamp ICON PACK is back! HERE
Old 25th June 2002, 20:05   #39
dlichterman
Forum King

See I had backed everything up on CD's, so I'm set

Old 25th June 2002, 22:16   #40
ReDVsion
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to ReDVsion Send a message via AIM to ReDVsion Send a message via Yahoo to ReDVsion
I have a hard time backing up shit on CD - not necessarily mp3s, but files and programs, considering by the time I burn something, a new version comes out...

?

Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp3 > Winamp3 Discussion