X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trh222
    • Mar 2008

ipod sync question

I am planning on taking a crack at at using winamp again for syncing my ipod with the latest 5.551. previous had been unsuccessful mainly due to problems with transering album art, but I digress.
    My main question is with syncing. I know winamp will try to sync the entire library to the ipod. What if I don't want he entire media library to sync. I have a large collection and dont want an extra, over a thousand songs added to the ipod. I would like to keep whats on the ipod now and add albums/songs manually when I want.
    how can I still sync to get updated podcasts, playlists, playcounts and other metadata synced and not have the entire media library transerred?
    i read this in winamp blog which is very nice by the way

but did not given me the answer I have described above.
    thanks
  • Juanus
    Major Dude
    • Oct 2004

when your ipod is plugged in
    Highlight what you want
    right click > send to: > Ipod

Comment

• trh222
      • Mar 2008

thanks for your reply Jaunus,
      I know how to send music to the ipod, what I am wanting to know is if I have an ipod chalk full of music how do I keep winamp from adding everything on the media library to the ipod when i hit the sync button. I have tons more music on my computer/media library than than I have on my ipod and would like to keep it that way.
      I just want to sync new added music, playlists and play counts when I hit sync not the whole media library.

thanks again

Comment

• Juanus
        Major Dude
        • Oct 2004

When you hit the sync button, its going to scan your ipod and not import duplicates and only import the new things.

However, obviously, if your ipod version differs from your Media Library version, then its going to want to import it. This would be problematic if you have updated the tags on one version or another.

When you click sync, a box comes up. There is an Advanced button (I am going off of memory because I dont have my ipod handy) and you can choose what you want to import and not.

Comment

• trh222
          • Mar 2008

the problem is I have more music in my library.
          everything on the ipod is in the library so it should not find anything new it import to the ML.
          I just dont want the winamp to sync the rest of what in the media library thats not already on the ipod. If for example, say I have 1000 songs on the ipod and 3000 songs in the media library, i dont want the remaining 2000 songs not on the ipod, added to the ipod when i sync. I think winamp will always try to to put everything in the ML on your ipod to make them exactly the same and I dont want it to do that really if there is some way to avoid it.

Comment

• Juanus
            Major Dude
            • Oct 2004

Originally posted by Juanus
            When you click sync, a box comes up. There is an Advanced button (I am going off of memory because I dont have my ipod handy) and you can choose what you want to import and not.

Comment

• trh222
              • Mar 2008

ok thanks Juanus, I think I know what box your referring to i'll have to check out the advanced tab and see what options to use.

Comment

• trh222
                • Mar 2008

ok,
                so the sync box says there is 0 songs to be transfered to device and 2755 songs on the device not in local media (but they really are, no not sure what that means) anyway, options leave them, delete, or copy to local media.
                clicking the radio button for "leave them" then "ok" does nothing. no metadata, no podcasts are synced. I don't want to delete, so is copy to media library what I want even though all 2755 songs are already there? I dont want to duplicate all of those songs in the ML.

Comment

• trh222
                  • Mar 2008

so i tried a test and imported a the "top 25 playsist from itunes to see what happens and indeed it duplicated all 25 songs to the ML. Not what I was hoping to happen but at least I had to go delete only 25 duplicated songs rather than the entire 2755?
                  I would love to use winamp with ipod but don't want my entire ML duplicated if I try to sync?
                  Does anyone else have this problem?

Comment

• trh222
                    • Mar 2008

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Juanus

"However, obviously, if your ipod version differs from your Media Library version, then its going to want to import it. This would be problematic if you have updated the tags on one version or another"

not sure what you mean by this?
                    Why does does it want to import 2755 songs that are already in the media library?
                    all the music in itunes is from the same music folder/same path as winamp gets it from.
                    I am real sorry to keep asking this, so please bear with me.

Winamp has been my main means for all my music on my computer for years, and love it, and would really love to get it to work with my ipod. right now all I use itunes for is syncing my ipod and would like get rid of itunes for good!
                    thanks, and any advice would be appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                    X