Old 7th February 2005, 07:37   #1
PAK-9
Major Dude

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Really HARD games

It seems like games are getting easier these days, or maybe I'm getting better at them. I remember some games that were so damn hard you couldnt get past the first level.

I think the hardest game I've ever played is Contra for the snes, you spawn in and *bam* bullets are flying everywhere, people are running at you from all directions and you touch ANYTHING and your dead. They sure dont make em' like that anymore (thank god)

R-Type 3 is a real nasty too, I have an emulated version and even using save state all the time I still get totally stuck.

Anyone else got any super hard games they cant believe have ever been completed?

http://PAK-9.deviantart.com

...innit
PAK-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2005, 08:20   #2
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Metal Slug Advance on the GBA nearly had me throwing the thing at the wall it was so frustratingly tricky.

The bad guys only had to look at you in a funny way and you lost 3/4 of your energy bar, next bullet killed you and back you went to the beginning of the level, oh and did I mention that even if you did manage to kill them, they spawned again almost immediately behind you ...

And lets not mention the boss level that had me playing for about 45minutes before I switched off as I was beginning to loose the feeling in my fingers..
Mr Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2005, 00:03   #3
sgtfuzzbubble011

Quote:
R-Type 3 is a real nasty too...
I second that.
sgtfuzzbubble011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2005, 01:33   #4
Cheezychops
Major Dude

I still swear that Toxic Crusaders for NES has nothing but the first section of the first level. I couldnt figure out that game when i was 11 and i still can not figure it out at age 21.
Cheezychops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2005, 16:20   #5
PAK-9
Major Dude

NES games were all hard to me. Even mario, I couldnt understand why they made him jump in that accelerating, gravity defying way, and he skidded when he stopped. Why didnt they just make him go up and down and stop, its not exactly hard to program.

...innit
Old 20th February 2005, 07:41   #6
whiteflip
Post Master General
(Forum King)

Contra is easy. Fun too. Alien Hominid is out on PS2 and GC in the states and XBOX in the EU (bastards) Haven't played it but its a throw back to the side scrollin' Contra days.

Halo 2 on Legendary is pretty difficult. Ninja Gaiden for the Xbox is supposedly one of the hardest games ever.

Games aren't getting easier they are just being made for mass audiances. Maybe Mario games are getting easier but on a whole I think Video games can still be as difficult if not more difficult as the 16 bit days.

I'm Back?
whiteflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2005, 22:19   #7
PAK-9
Major Dude

Contra...easy? You lie sir

...innit
Old 21st February 2005, 02:41   #8
whiteflip
Post Master General
(Forum King)

If you are talking about Contra III for the SNES than yeah it was pretty easy. Challenging but still not too difficult.

I'm Back?
whiteflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2005, 02:06   #9
Mrs_Mia_Wallace
has a crush on Bilbo
(Forum Queen)

Location: Switzerland Posts: The starting points at a racetrack.
Maniac Mansion - either it was incredibly hard or I was just too stupid

Mia
Mrs_Mia_Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2005, 13:25   #10
King Raa

halo 2 - xbox - legendary, makes halo 1 on legendary look easy.
otherwise Mario is hell, i've got all the mario games (bros 1, 2, 3. super mario world - rpg - kart - kart 64 - paper mario - mario 64... etc)and super mario world is, maybe my reactions are slow... but then why do i have good reactions in fps games...
King Raa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2005, 20:41   #11
PAK-9
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by Mrs_Mia_Wallace
Maniac Mansion - either it was incredibly hard or I was just too stupid

Mia
Most point n click adventures are stupidly hard, because the puzzles are so stupid. "Use bottled sunshine with fart hammer" or something, really ridiculously obscure stuff.

By the way games set to a really hard difficulty dont count, they have to be just plain frikkin hard.

With regard to metal slug, the arcade versions are pretty hard, I have them emulated so I can just punch the insert coin as many times as I like, but some parts are just stupid, the old 1-million-projectiles-coming-at-you-from-all-angles-at-different-speeds syndrome. 1 hit kill of course. And when you die you revert to your pea shooter default weapon.

...innit
Old 27th February 2005, 07:08   #12
cppman

I always found Mario games challenging, but beatable. Snake Rattle n' Roll on the nes gets insanely hard around the middle of the games. F-zero GX on GC is very hard (but also super fun and rewarding.)
cppman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2005, 02:30   #13
PAK-9
Major Dude

Icy Tower http://www.freelunchdesign.com/games.shtml

Hard the first 300 or so times you play it, its a real buzz when your winning though

...innit
Old 28th February 2005, 06:04   #14
manthabeats
Winamp's Cinematographer
(Major Dude)

Send a message via Yahoo to manthabeats
Metroid on NES, could never beat it with out the Game Gene.

Currently filming: Youtube stuff
My Website
manthabeats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2005, 23:27   #15
Bilbo Baggins
Wind Chime of the Apocalypse

There was a game I used to play on my Amstrad 1640 that was essentially an RPG. I cant remember what is was called, but it was the hardest game I have ever played.
Bilbo Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2005, 04:28   #16
sgtfuzzbubble011

Quote:
manthabeats said
Metroid on NES, could never beat it with out the Game Gene.
Metroid is insanely hard if you don't draw yourself a map while you're playing.
Old 1st March 2005, 07:11   #17
manthabeats
Winamp's Cinematographer
(Major Dude)

Send a message via Yahoo to manthabeats
Never thought of that.
Goes to play Metroid but finds NES doesn't work for some reason (mysteriously dropped).

Currently filming: Youtube stuff
My Website
manthabeats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2005, 05:57   #18
EfaustuS9
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to EfaustuS9 Send a message via AIM to EfaustuS9 Send a message via Yahoo to EfaustuS9
Currently toiling through Super Mario Bros. 2 (jap) also known as Super Mario Bros. The Lost Levels on the SNES. Thoughs who developed this game are true sadists… I challenge any one to actually play though this masochistic masterpiece featuring poison mushrooms and mandatory reverse warp zones.

I guess I am a glutton for punishment.

Last edited by EfaustuS9; 15th December 2005 at 07:12.
EfaustuS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2005, 20:57   #19
Mattress
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by sgtfuzzbubble99
Metroid is insanely hard if you don't draw yourself a map while you're playing.
Hmm, I never drew myself a map and I beat it tons of times.

Alien Hominid is insanely difficult, though I only played the flash version, might be easier with a controller rather than a keyboard to control the dude.

Zork was really hard, never did beat it.
Mattress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2005, 01:58   #20
sgtfuzzbubble011

Sorry, I don't have photographic memory.
Old 17th December 2005, 01:07   #21
Tuggummi
Bin King

Last Action Hero for the SNES, not only is the game hard, but it sucks so bad you don't even want to play it till your good enough to get even past the first level!

And i agree on the Metroid for NES, the game is just not possible to play through... Zero Mission on GBA on the other hand is very enjoyable, which is the remake of the NES one.

Also Megaman/Rockman 1 is just torture, i got to the wily castle, but i never got through the game, the colossus boss is just too damn hard without any Energy Tanks. Once i get the E-tanks in Megaman 2,3,4,5,6,7 and X, i have no problem beating them, although they are a challenge (but a fun one )

Oh and Sonic 1 on genesis, i have no problem with Sonic 2 or 3, but i somehow can't even beat the 2nd world of Sonic 1, Marble Zone or what it was called.

And one last game worth mentioning is Rick Dangerous for Amiga, although the game is very fun to play, without the cheats (infinate Ammo & Lives) i would never got past the first level

Im sure there is plenty of others that i can't remember, and i have no doubt that there still will be games that are hard to the core.

Texer Resources

Im retarded... err i mean retired!
Probably both...
Tuggummi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2005, 14:54   #22
Doggy Dog
Canis Sapiens
(Reviewer)

Send a message via ICQ to Doggy Dog
The games Codemasters did around 1990-4 were usually very hard. The Dizzy series is tough, but then there's Captain Dynamo. You've got to play that to learn frustration. Everything kills you... even from a couple of pixels away, jumping is damn odd and hard, no save at all, and basically, you have to learn the levels by heart to have a chance of beating the game. Even then, you still don't have much of a chance on later levels. Luckily, the game is pretty short.

Then there are the illogical p&c adventure games, and even more illogical Myst-style games....

Then there are the games that are very hard to get into, some RPG's, or just about every flight simulator, but those are much easier once you've mastered one (and thus mastered the principle).

I'll have to consult my "finished games" list at home for more.
Doggy Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2005, 15:26   #23
TypoKing

Send a message via AIM to TypoKing Send a message via Yahoo to TypoKing
Zelda 2

Okay, Call me an idiot, but I honestly thought this game was hard as hell. I stillhaven't beaten it. I can barely get to the last castle.

The wooden walls with the lizard men throwing fireballs at you can be a royal pain in the ass when you are running through the swamp. And 3 lives? Come on! Even getting the extra lives hidden throughout the game map aren't enough to help!

And there is still the problem with fighting Shadow Link....
TypoKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2005, 18:50   #24
mysterious_w
Forum King

Sonic 2 on the master system, I could never get the hangliders to work right.

mysterious_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2006, 15:00   #25
Sandman2012
<3 foobar2k
(Forum King)

Civ 4 is pretty challenging, even on the "neutral" level where the AI doesn't have any advantages. The higher levels are crazy.
Sandman2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2006, 18:29   #26
Phyltre
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to Phyltre Send a message via Yahoo to Phyltre
Slightly off-topic, but: Zelda 64 is not what I'd call a "hard" game, but it's very frustrating when you keep losing your saves--I've played the first 4 hours of that game at least 15 times, and the ending as well, but most of the latter dungeons/temples only once because there's so much stuff to work through to get to them. And once you get towards the end, you overwrite your save, and if you want to fight Shadow Link (appears roughly 80% through the game) again you have to start all over...which is why I've only fought him once in countless hours of play.

A game I found extremely annoying in terms of level design--portions of Turok and Turok 2. I'd get lost for HOURS, and end up cheating to skip the level (usually so I could get lost again.) The action was fun, but the level design/backtracking killed me.
Phyltre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2006, 23:08   #27
mikm
Major Dude

Original Contra was hard
Almost any text-based adventure
Another World/Out of This World