Old 28th August 2015, 01:49   #1121
themadproducer

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpete View Post
He does state that there is a crash issue with the default mp3 decoder on his page.
https://github.com/gargaj/gen-waveseek
It doesn't crash for me because I use Shibatch mpg123 decoder.
You can find that here
http://otachan.com/in_!mpg123.html
@djpete
Hey...so far NO CRASH!
That makes my day...and my month...perhaps my year!
Thanks very much for taking the time...really!!!

NOTE: The page you linked me is not in English, so I had a bit of a hard time finding the correct download link. (just guessed) To help others, what I did was extract the file inside the zip: bin>normal>in_!mpg123.dll and renamed it to in_mp3.dll and wrote over the winamp version located in the Winamp installed directory. (eg C:\Program Files\Winamp\Plugins\in_mp3.dll) Alternatively, I could have just deleted the Winamp version and just copied in_!mpg123.dll into this plugins directory)

UPDATE:
1) Crash on exit...fixed
2) Crash when exiting before waveform is drawn...fixed
3) Crash when launching Winamp with empty play list...mostly not fixed (who cares lol)

[merged]

Also...I am new to this forum...

1) Is there a thank you button?
2) I am used to using @username to tag my reply to a specific user. Is there an equivalent here?
themadproducer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2015, 01:59   #1122
djpete
Major Dude

no thank you button I know of.
Here is Google translated version for others if needed too.
https://translate.google.com.au/tran...-text=&act=url

We also have a very simple download of the dll at our group. Link below

Cheers, Pete

Anything & Everything Winamp - All In One Place...
Winamp Enthusiasts Group
djpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2015, 02:03   #1123
DrO

Quote:
Originally Posted by themadproducer View Post
1) Is there a thank you button?
2) I am used to using @username to tag my reply to a specific user. Is there an equivalent here?
there is no such functionality on here.
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2015, 02:07   #1124
themadproducer

Ok thanks djpete and DrO
themadproducer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2015, 14:43   #1125
seyss

so what's going on with winamp?

is it being developed?

I'm sure you'll say "search the forums" but we all want the latest info in the latest thread
seyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2015, 15:55   #1126
PunkBuzter

I was just about to ask the same question, then I saw your comment here and decided to just join
What's going on??

Site hasn't changed much, 3 radio stations added and nothing else?
Didn't even bother to talk to the old master radio "Digitally Imported" ...?
Asking myself why they didn't just leave the old site up... At least we'd have something to cruise through for plugins and such.

[edit-moderation => threads merged so is why there's this merged edit of PunkBuzter's posts]

(banging forehead to wall)
Where's the Winamp 6.0 release?? Haven't we been waiting long enough already?
PunkBuzter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2015, 16:57   #1127
GorillaCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkBuzter View Post
(banging forehead to wall)
Where's the Winamp 6.0 release?? Haven't we been waiting long enough already?
Mon ami, le horse, it is dead. Click the link in my signature and you'll see where we are in terms of a release date.

Making a super dope user image for Windows 10 in Photoshop or Illustrator? Make it 448x448 to minimize artifacting from compression.
ReactOS - My Winamp Wishlist - Custom EQ - Playlists missing tracks on Android (Fixed?)

Last edited by GorillaCat; 29th August 2015 at 18:12.
GorillaCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2015, 22:38   #1128
PunkBuzter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GorillaCat View Post
Mon ami, le horse, it is dead. Click the link in my signature and you'll see where we are in terms of a release date.
Yeah?
Well why don't they just say so on the website?! Had to actually make another 1-time forum account just to ask this question.
Why not just show the world it's simply delayed, at least that'd be SOME kind of message instead of giving us the silent treatment we're being given right now. Oh, and when I mean "we" I mean the world outside, not just you and me cuz you know, and now I know but others don't.

Can I make contact with someone responsible here?
PunkBuzter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2015, 05:17   #1129
JasonFriday13
Major Dude

I think I remember reading that there might be a release next year, someone said there was a post about it somewhere.

"Only a MouseHelmet will save you from a MouseTrap" -Jason Ross (Me)
NSIS 3 POSIX Ninja
Wiki Profile
JasonFriday13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2015, 20:36   #1130
seyss

whoa 2016? I believe that there's no development so far..
Old 30th August 2015, 21:29   #1131
DrO

Quote:
Site hasn't changed much, 3 radio stations added and nothing else?
it just shows the top handful of SHOUTcast stations based on listener numbers. so that's why it's not 'changed' much as the top stations haven't (sadly) changed in a long time. and to see more, you just click on the 'more stations' option.

Quote:
Didn't even bother to talk to the old master radio "Digitally Imported" ...?
they moved off SHOUTcast prior to the sale of Winamp and SHOUTcast as they wanted to monetise their streams and SHOUTcast didn't have a solution for doing that at the time. so DI did what was best for them (which they are fully entitled to do) even if it annoyed a number of SHOUTcast users (and not helped by some actions that had to be done by SHOUTcast in-order to keep itself going as just providing loads of free bandwidth for their streams wasn't something that could be maintained without any money back).

Quote:
Asking myself why they didn't just leave the old site up... At least we'd have something to cruise through for plugins and such.
because AOL ran those servers and there was no 'simple' way to migrate them across to a different platform without re-coding or going through a mass of pain to try to replicate the existing setup and backend dependencies which had become a complete mess over the years (based on the fad at the time) leading up to the sale (all of which has been covered early on when the sale happened).

and most of the plug-ins that were on the site (and that others are promoting elsewhere) are often unstable, don't work correctly on recent versions of Windows (or Winamp for that matter) or require forced administrator rights to be able to work correctly which is not how things should be but as there is effectively no 3rd plug-in development anymore (like i've given it up as mentioned a few pages back), none of them are going to be fixed and the issues will just increase with time... with old plug-ins being Winamp's achilles heal.
Old 31st August 2015, 04:23   #1132
Aminifu
Forum King

IMHO, the former Winamp and 3rd party developers have simply gotten old (like Winamp itself). The enthusiasm and energy of their youth has faded over time (which happens to most of us). The motivations behind making something that worked (often mainly for the thrill and joy of doing so) have dissipated. The personal need to find ways to pay ever increasing bills has not helped. Those who started Winamp were able to 'cash in' and move on. Those who followed were never able to achieve a similar 'pay day'.

If the documentation needed to maintain and expand Winamp had been kept up to date maybe a new younger group would have taken up the challenge. At this point, we will never know. If some way is not found for Winamp to pay for itself, and compensate those who work on it, Winamp will be allowed to fade away.

I was born into a world without personal computers, color TV, and many other things that are now taken for granted. Times have changed; there are many other 'toys' to play with and no need to stay with something that doesn't suit you. The current version of Winamp provides for most of my needs (related to playing and managing digital music on my desktop computer) and I intend to keep using it for as long as possible. Whatever happens, I will always be grateful for the years of entertainment Winamp provided me.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1809 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2015, 04:45   #1133
musicf8
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
<snip>
I have to agree a lot with what you said, but I do think that the merger with AOL and Time Warner caused the development to become stagnate much like other AOL technologies (AIM) so it wasn't able to move with the times. This day an age people listen to most of their music on their fone and while winamp started penetrating that area and started to get into cloud services, that fell after AOL wanting to close winamp and then the sell off.

From a personal nostalgic perspective, I have used Winamp for some 17 years or so and the greatest things I ever done was hook up my computer w/ my aiwa stereo when I was 16 (I was so happy, my father not so much) and to this day I still use winamp to play my music through my system at home (w/ my logitech z-5500) as my computer has replaced my tv and stereo, but the general public isn't the same. They don't want to install and configure a new player, if something is on their computer they will use it unless they have an ipod and use itunes. Even then, people just use spotify and pandora for their music, they dont seem to care much about their own music collection like I do. The reason winamp became so popular in the first place was because it was the only (tmk) nag-free shareware out that could play mp3 files when they started to grow in popularity.

All and all, I hope the next generation of winamp brings in the needed features to compete with other players while at the same time keeping the spirit alive for the old schoolers (and no, I don't mean keep backward compatibility support for old plug ins)

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡ʎɯouoıpɐɹ

Current status of Winamp: (Winamp 5.8) is not an ongoing project get wacup

5.8 beta issue quick fix - Install 5.666 (there's no further 5.8 releases)
musicf8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2015, 12:24   #1134
seyss

what alternatives to winamp have you guys found?
Windows's 10 Groove Music is a joke, WMP: no comment..
Old 1st September 2015, 12:29   #1135
djpete
Major Dude

there is nothing better than Winamp.
That's not being biased. That is being truthful. I have tried them all over the years. Nothing even comes close

Cheers, Pete

Winamp Enthusiasts Group
Old 1st September 2015, 12:31   #1136
seyss

currently, yes, but since WA is probably not being developed and dead, it'll break and start to lag behind other players.
I heard about foobar2000.. is this the best alternative out there?
Old 1st September 2015, 12:37   #1137
djpete
Major Dude

If you havent compared foobar to winamp be prepared for a big shock. Ugliest player on the market. Winamp will still chug along for many years yet

Cheers, Pete

Winamp Enthusiasts Group
Old 1st September 2015, 12:49   #1138
cleeds

Quote:
That's not being biased. That is being truthful.
You must not have tried JRiver Media Center. It walks all over Winamp.
cleeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2015, 12:52   #1139
djpete
Major Dude

yep tried that one too.

Cheers, Pete

Winamp Enthusiasts Group
Old 1st September 2015, 13:23   #1140
Raj_09

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleeds View Post
You must not have tried JRiver Media Center. It walks all over Winamp.
Dude I have used Music Bee, AIMP even JRiver. Always come back to Winamp

Powering through with the bolt
Raj_09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2015, 17:00   #1141
GorillaCat

Alternativeto.net could point someone in the right direction but don't expect to find a 1 to 1 alternative, those might not exist. If the day comes when Windows Update causes Winamp to break or fail the only thing we'll be able to do is to run in compatibility mode and hope for the best. I doubt it'll happen soon if at all.

Making a super dope user image for Windows 10 in Photoshop or Illustrator? Make it 448x448 to minimize artifacting from compression.
ReactOS - My Winamp Wishlist - Custom EQ - Playlists missing tracks on Android (Fixed?)
Old 1st September 2015, 18:20   #1142
cleeds

Quote:
That's not being biased. That is being truthful. I have tried them all over the years. Nothing even comes close
No, this is opinion stated as fact. Winamp is clearly your preference, but to insist there's "nothing better" is just your opinion.

For example, JRiver Media Center has many functions Winamp doesn't offer, such as network operation with remote control. Of course, that may not be important to you. JRiver MC is under constant development and improvement. Of course, that may not be important to you. Its developers are active on its user forum. Again, that may not be important to you.

JRiver's product has a steeper learning curve than Winamp, a consequence of its much greater functionality than Winamp. Some users don't have the time, patience or skills to master Media Center. That's certainly understandable. Also, JRiver is not free, and some users insist on using only free software. Regardless, to assert as "fact" that Winamp is superior to all other players is just silly, even if you've tried every single player on the market, as you claim.

I still use Winamp, btw. I like it. But I also use JRiver Media Center. That's because there are things MC does that Winamp can't. And it's increasingly unlikely that Winamp will ever catch up.
cleeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2015, 18:28   #1143
musicf8
Major Dude

Quote:
For example, JRiver Media Center has many functions Winamp doesn't offer, such as network operation with remote control.
Plugins and software are available for it, I use my android to control my winamp

Quote:
JRiver MC is under constant development and improvement.
So was Winamp up until recently with the purchase.

Quote:
Its developers are active on its user forum.
As are many of the developers on here have been.

Regardless, it is all opinion anyway. Some people think Nero is better than say CDBurnerXP because of all the features it has for CD/DVD burning, others might see it as just bloat.

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡ʎɯouoıpɐɹ

Old 1st September 2015, 19:06   #1144
DrO

use what you like and just be happy with it - simple really.
Old 2nd September 2015, 04:34   #1145
RetroDigital

Outside of the canned email response that some people have put on here.. This is the last Radionomy mention of Winamp that I'm aware of.. which was in April of 2014.

http://board.radionomy.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=5169

I'm patient though but they really should work on some sort of communication plan regarding Winamp. (outside of canned email responses)
RetroDigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2015, 13:52   #1146
ryerman
Major Dude

Don't hold your breath.
It seems that communication with current users is unimportant to Radionomy.

Right now, there appears to be zero official responses concerning Winamp, by any Radionomy employee.
http://forums.winamp.com/showpost.ph...postcount=1038

We can only hope their participation in this forum increases, when (if) a new version is released.

Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Winamp 5.666, Bento Skin
ryerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2015, 18:36   #1147
deltawing

Send a message via AIM to deltawing
Quote:
MusicBee is what I went to after Winamp and I probably won't ever go back. It's incredible.
deltawing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2015, 18:38   #1148
musicf8
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltawing View Post
MusicBee is what I went to after Winamp and I probably won't ever go back. It's incredible.
I think I've tried most players out there and always end up going back to winamp. MusicBee is kind of meh to me. I do though need to try the new AIMP beta, it is enticing, but more than likely I will stick with Winamp. Why change something that works well?

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡ʎɯouoıpɐɹ

Old 4th September 2015, 04:54   #1149
djpete
Major Dude

shame the media library does not look that good or functional on aimp beta compared to winamp.
Also a ram hog on my machine but may be just the beta bugs.
But some pretty good features

Cheers, Pete

Winamp Enthusiasts Group
Old 4th September 2015, 15:05   #1150
Benski
Ben Allison
Former Winamp Developer

what features are in AIMP and MusicBee that are more interesting? or is it just a quality-of-experience thing?
Benski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2015, 15:27   #1151
djpete
Major Dude

these are the things I like in Aimp.
Quality decoder options including Wasapi and Exclusive Mode.
Built in waveform seeker.
Not much more to be honest.
The library shouldn't really be called that because it's a useless as tits on a bull.
Winamp kills it. The end. :-)

Cheers, Pete

Winamp Enthusiasts Group
Old 4th September 2015, 16:13   #1152
StreetWalker

I have Windows 10 64-bit running on my Dell Studio 1747 laptop. Winamp version 5.666 Build 3516 (x86) is working but I found an issue with the Media Library. The search box work normally but when I click a column title, it does not SORT that column instead is does not respond to sorting any column in any Local Library View. Does anyone know what is wrong? It used to work fine under Windows 7.
StreetWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2015, 02:14   #1153
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by A11ectis View Post

Looks like you have the same issue I have.
To my knowledge the development has fizzled out, as I haven't seen any response in either forums since I've posted that thread.
@A11ectis Do you have a sample file on which I can see the strange characters always shown? I think I can fix it.. (a workaround actually)
Victhor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2015, 02:45   #1154
StreetWalker

ANY ONE KNOW WHAT MY PROBLEM IS?

I have Windows 10 64-bit running on my Dell Studio 1747 laptop. Winamp version 5.666 Build 3516 (x86) is working but I found an issue with the Media Library. The search box work normally but when I click a column title, it does not SORT that column instead is does not respond to sorting any column in any Local Library View. Does anyone know what is wrong? It used to work fine under Windows 7.
Old 6th September 2015, 02:52   #1155
musicf8
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetWalker View Post
ANY ONE KNOW WHAT MY PROBLEM IS?
Are you using a different skin? I haven't noticed any issues on mine, and i'm running windows 10 x64 as well. have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling winamp?

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡ʎɯouoıpɐɹ

Old 6th September 2015, 02:55   #1156
GorillaCat

@Victhor can you post the workaround or a how to on it? I'd upload the sample for you but I'll be stuck without a PC for a while.

@Streetwalker Sorting works fine in 32bit, I know this might sound dumb but try running it in compatibility mode for XP or 7.

Old 6th September 2015, 05:17   #1157
garetjax
Candyass
(Major Dude)

Send a message via ICQ to garetjax Send a message via AIM to garetjax Send a message via MSN to garetjax Send a message via Yahoo to garetjax
Musing and Info

@Anyone Who Cares,

I love and hate winamp. I love all the ins/outs of it and have through the years continued loving it. At the end of the day however, I use a paid subscription service for my music; while there are purists out there that will always use something in someway different than this; the mass majority of users with their tastes have little use for something that only does as Dr0 pointed out (niche).

I hate that I cannot use winamp to play DRM Subscribed music, I hate that as a player it isn't native to my OS; it is 32bit and works as expected (no complaints, but everything feels dated about it, from a time when only very geeky people use it ... me included.)

It has over the years evolved from a single function tool; to shoe-horned all everything thing. While much of what it does it does fairly well, it does nothing but playback at any players ability today. Why use winamp, if there a hundred it doesn't do this or that when players and subscription services do all that I need it to and I don't need the other features ever?

The new life of winamp should be focused on it's strengths and drop everything else including skinning...(I cringe at it). But, as pointed out the best thing going forward for winamp is its ability to play music and that's pretty much it.

IMHO, your right Dr0 and at the end of the day if it can play my DRM, then i'd use it no matter what else it could or could not do.

1001skins |
That's not a skin, it's some god awful piece of skinner gunk. - Mr. Jones
garetjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2015, 06:17   #1158
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GorillaCat View Post
@Victhor can you post the workaround or a how to on it? I'd upload the sample for you but I'll be stuck without a PC for a while.
Try this version as soon as you can and tell me if it worked >> http://forums.winamp.com/showpost.ph...90&postcount=5
Victhor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2015, 19:39   #1159
bloodfiredeath

Well, I formatted Windows 7 because Windows 10 suck so bad and winamp 5.666 is horrible and would not rip my cds so I found and an old version of winamp 5.65 and it rips my cds just fine. I hope that if winamp ever releases any new versions that they will have the ability to rip cds. Too bad lastfm has changed to a horrible new site. I still have winamp.
bloodfiredeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2015, 20:26   #1160
StreetWalker

it's an end to an era...
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion