Old 3rd February 2008, 17:44   #1
tuckerm
Forum Emo

Virginia Beach police seize photos from Abercrombie store

VIRGINIA BEACH

Police, saying they were responding to citizen complaints, carted away two large promotional photographs from the Abercrombie & Fitch store in Lynnhaven Mall on Saturday and cited the manager on obscenity charges.

Adam Bernstein, a police spokesman, said the seizure and the issuance of the summons came only after store management had not heeded warnings to remove the images.

The citation was issued under City Code Section 22.31, Bernstein said, which makes it a crime to display "obscene materials in a business that is open to juveniles." He did not say what was being done with the pictures and when the manager, whose name was not released, is scheduled to appear in court.

The manager, reached by telephone, declined to comment on the incident Saturday, saying that he was conferring with and waiting for guidance from Abercrombie corporate officials.

The mural-like black-and-white photographs were taken from the store at midafternoon.

Bernstein confirmed that one depicts three shirtless young men from the back, walking through a field. The man in the lead appears to be about to pull up his jeans, which have slipped down enough to reveal his upper buttocks.

The same image is displayed on the Abercrombie Web site.

The other image is of a woman who is topless and whose "breast is displayed with her hand covering just the nipple portion," Bernstein said. "You could still pretty much see the rest of the breast."

The seizure was "prompted by several customer complaints, and the management of Abercrombie & Fitch was notified of those complaints," Bernstein said.

The company's corporate offices in New Albany, Ohio, were closed Saturday and no officials could be reached for comment.

Bernstein said the summons for a Class One misdemeanor was issued to the manager because there is no legal way to issue a summons to a corporate entity in such circumstances. The manager was not arrested but faces a fine of up to $2,000 and as much as a year in jail, if convicted.

Bernstein said that in a meeting last week with store management, the officer - who is assigned to routine patrol of the mall - said he understood it was a corporate decision as to what would be displayed in the stores. But he explained that that didn't exempt the local store from complying with the city code.

Bernstein said management was told specifically: "We want those advertising signs taken down."

When the officer returned to the store Saturday, Bernstein said, he found that the pictures were still in place.

Abercrombie & Fitch has earned a reputation for its risqué catalogues and promotional photography featuring scantily clothed models.

In 2003, the company halted publication of its 7-year-old A&F Quarterly catalog because of complaints about sexually suggestive photographs by award-winning photographer Bruce Weber.

Link: http://hamptonroads.com/node/452689
tuckerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2008, 19:30   #2
gaekwad2
Foorum King

In reaction to the complaints A&F issued new advertising material for all flyover states:

gaekwad2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2008, 03:15   #3
MidnightViper88
Made In The USA
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88 Send a message via Yahoo to MidnightViper88
Re: Virginia Beach police seize photos from Abercrombie store

Quote:
Originally posted by tuckerm
Bernstein confirmed that one depicts three shirtless young men from the back, walking through a field. The man in the lead appears to be about to pull up his jeans, which have slipped down enough to reveal his upper buttocks.
Hey; You can only get so much money from the Varsity Blues people before you have to target the Brokeback Mountain boys...

"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
MidnightViper88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2008, 05:25   #4
sgtfuzzbubble011

I have mixed feelings about this, really.

Yeah, the store manager should've taken down the signs when informed to do so by city officials and/or authorities citing that they were in violation of city codes. If the store manager is convicted, the corporate personnel that are responsible for having the signs placed in the store should also be convicted.

Now... Why are those particular signs bringing so much controversy when nobody even blinks and eye at Victoria's Secret or Frederick's Of Hollywood?
sgtfuzzbubble011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2008, 05:33   #5
General Geoff
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to General Geoff Send a message via AIM to General Geoff
Because nobody wants to see Victoria's Secret shut down, and everybody loves to ogle that store front.

General Geoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2008, 06:20   #6
deeder7001
Jesus Freak
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to deeder7001 Send a message via Yahoo to deeder7001
If the store manager had refused to put them up he'd probably get into a heap of trouble from his superiors. I know at Taco Bell, the RGM(store manager) will be in trouble with the person next higher up if things like that aren't done.

There is no sig.
deeder7001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2008, 06:42   #7
sgtfuzzbubble011

Well yeah, but your boss doesn't have the same amount of authority as the police and a court of law. What sounds worse... getting bitched out by your boss, or going to jail and paying a hefty fine?
Old 4th February 2008, 06:50   #8
deeder7001
Jesus Freak
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to deeder7001 Send a message via Yahoo to deeder7001
True.

Now I'm wondering why it's only happened in this one location.

There is no sig.
deeder7001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2008, 21:33   #9
General Geoff
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to General Geoff Send a message via AIM to General Geoff
Quote:
Originally posted by sgtfuzzbubble99
Well yeah, but your boss doesn't have the same amount of authority as the police and a court of law. What sounds worse... getting bitched out by your boss, or going to jail and paying a hefty fine?
Boss has more legitimate authority over the manager in this scenario; it's the STORE that's being fined, because the manager put up the signs while acting as a representative for the company:

Ignore boss: Get fired
Ignore police: Have signs taken down forcefully by police, store gets fined $$$, superiour looks dumb, you get away with "I was told to do it." And at the end of the day, you still have your job.

edit; the article says the manager himself could be fined and jailed, but I find that highly unlikely.

General Geoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2008, 02:12   #10
Jay
Moderator Alumni

nah screw that. If the law comes in my store and tells me to do something that will trump any corporate entity anytime. If I get fired for following the law, then I will sue them for unlawful termination, otherwise I wouldn't want to work for someone who forces me to choose between them or the law.
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2008, 02:22   #11
sgtfuzzbubble011

What Jay said.

Quote:
edit; the article says the manager himself could be fined and jailed, but I find that highly unlikely.
From what I gathered from the article, the police directly told the on-duty store manager to take the signs down. That right there eliminates any possibility for the store manager to step back and let corporate and the law hash it out. And it's possible that the store manager could very well get fined and/or given jail-time for refusing to comply with city ordinance.
Old 5th February 2008, 03:08   #12
watadoo
JEDI MASTER

Americans are such provincial prudes. The laughing stock of the rest of the world. well, maybe their religious nutcase brethren in the Middle East are the same, but the world laughs at them, too.

"Which is worse, ignorance or indifference?"

"I don't know, and I don't care."
watadoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2008, 03:10   #13
watadoo
JEDI MASTER

Quote:
Originally posted by deeder7001
True.

Now I'm wondering why it's only happened in this one location.
virginia beach is Pat Roberson country, son. Can't have no half nekkid kids in photographs. It'll ruin the moral fiber of society or some such bs.

"Which is worse, ignorance or indifference?"

"I don't know, and I don't care."
watadoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2008, 12:44   #14
ame

Atualy that black-and-white photo is not for complaint.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > Breaking News