Old 12th April 2002, 02:50   #1
Nothlit

.htaccess redirect

I have a dynamic IP address, but I have a bit more complex situation than that. I signed up for a dynamic subdomain name from dyndns.org. It works wonderfully for redirecting users to my stream, but the inconvenience is that it doesn't match the domain name that I own and use for my web site. I tried creating a subdomain of my domain name at my webhost, and creating a .htaccess file with "redirect /listen.pls http://my.dynamichost.here:8000/listen.pls" (of course with the correct hostname). But it doesn't work. It merely goes into an endless loop if I try to access it in the web browser, and if I try to type it directly into Winamp's location bar, it says there's an error loading the stream. I have a hunch it has to do with the port numbers. Has anyone else attempted this, or know how I could get it to work? I doubt my webhost is willing to establish port 8000 on the server just for my little stream.
Nothlit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2002, 04:21   #2
Jay
Moderator Alumni

why not just download the .pls file and copy it up to your webserver.

I am not sure about .htaccess files because I use php but redirection is real simple to achieve but not in the way you are trying to do it. for example if I wanted to fool a listeners into *thinking* that the stream was coming from my domain name then I would just simple put php in the index file that redirects to the stream when the user-agent passed is Winamp, RMA, iTunes ect. If you want to see this fake out in action just put radiotoolbox.com into your Winamp's Location Bar.
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2002, 15:02   #3
Nothlit

Wow, that was a lot easier than what I was trying to do. I had read that article at radiotoolbox.com earlier, but didn't think it applied to what I was trying to do. I guess it does. Thanks for the help.
Nothlit is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Technical Support