Old 14th January 2009, 21:49   #41
fooeynet

For the iPod Touch 2G w/fw2.2, is it true that Scrobbling will no longer work?

I get the following in debuglog:
ml_AudioScrobbler.dll not needed (no played tracks)

...even though I played tunes for hours.

Are we still unable to read the playcounts/history FROM the iPod?
fooeynet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2009, 23:18   #42
logaen

Abu, what about the features for playing tracks stored in iPhone/iPod 2.2 ?

I usually sync iPhone at home and use it at work! :°(

Somebody here know a programs thats work just for playing tracks?
logaen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2009, 23:50   #43
fooeynet

Quote:
Originally posted by logaen

The Music button on the iPhone?
Old 15th January 2009, 03:16   #44
gilion

Quote:
Originally posted by abu
Welcome to this forum, gilion!
Please try with some more songs. Never seen anything like that...
Hmm another few songs I transferred showed up in all of the correct areas so I'm not sure what the problem is. It should also be noted that ejecting/reading the contents of the iPhone takes a really long time in most cases. Also, when trying to transfer songs while they're playing I get a "Transfer error!" and below the status bars "Unhandled error during copy..." Once I stop the music and then transfer it works fine though.

[edit] I realized that the problem is that the iPhone isn't showing songs in strict alphabetical order, i.e. songs like "A Breath of Fresh Air" are placed under B instead of A with the alphabetical order all messed up.
gilion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2009, 05:07   #45
fatcerberus1
Major Dude

Yeah, ignoring the leading article (the, a, an) in a sort is normal behavior in nearly every media manager these days--including Winamp itself, incidentally.

Anyway, with the iPhone this is basically required: If we don't sort it that way when writing the database, the iPhone/iTouch will do it itself, but you wouldn't like the results. "The " and "A " songs will get sorted in so-called "strict" order, but then the iPod creates a header for each letter following the article! So you'd end up with a list like this (titles made up because I have nothing better to do ):

[K]
A Killer Hippo
[E]
An Enormous Hippo
[A]
And It's Going to Eat You
[T]
That's a Big Hippo
[H]
The Hippos Ride Again
[P]
The Phantom Hippo
[T]
There's a Hippo in My House

Not very pretty, is it?

Windows 7 Beta
iPod touch (Second Generation), 8GB
Winamp 5.55 with ml_iPod 3.08
fatcerberus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2009, 06:14   #46
abu
mlipod moderator
(Senior Member)

Quote:
Originally posted by logaen
Abu, what about the features for playing tracks stored in iPhone/iPod 2.2 ?

I usually sync iPhone at home and use it at work! :°(

No, see http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....72#post2469772
and the Wiki: http://mlipod.sourceforge.net/wiki/I...support#Status

Actually, I'm not working on this feature, so please stop asking for it again and again. It won't happen, unless somebody else wants to code it. Sorry.
You can still download songs from the iPhone to your work PC and play them. Here is how to:

Configure the file download in the ml_ipod prefs like this:

Make sure that all downloaded files go into the same directory, makes it easier for playback. That means, replace the \ characters with -, as in the screenshot.

Then select all songs you want to play (or albums...) and copy:

Play the files:

WinAmp Pro 5.5 with ml_iPod 3.10 + dev.patches (download it)
ml_iPod documentation Wiki - ml_iPod FAQ - search ml_iPod forum - iPhone/iTouch - Found a bug?
Donations to support the ml_iPod project can be done HERE

Last edited by abu; 15th January 2009 at 13:07.
abu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2009, 07:32   #47
abu
mlipod moderator
(Senior Member)

Quote:
Originally posted by fatcerberus1
...titles made up because I have nothing better to do ):

[K]
A Killer Hippo
[E]
An Enormous Hippo
love that. Could you record them and send a CD ?

ml_iPod documentation Wiki - ml_iPod FAQ - search ml_iPod forum - iPhone/iTouch - Found a bug?
Old 15th January 2009, 07:33   #48
abu
mlipod moderator
(Senior Member)

Quote:
Originally posted by fooeynet
For the iPod Touch 2G w/fw2.2, is it true that Scrobbling will no longer work?
No longer? Has it ever worked? Not with ml_ipod...
http://mlipod.sourceforge.net/wiki/I...support#Status

Old 15th January 2009, 16:44   #49
fooeynet

Quote:
Originally posted by abu
No longer? Has it ever worked? Not with ml_ipod...
http://mlipod.sourceforge.net/wiki/I...support#Status
I guess "no longer" since I was coming from a nano
Old 15th January 2009, 16:58   #50
fooeynet

Quote:
Yeah, ignoring the leading article (the, a, an) in a sort is normal behavior in nearly every media manager these days--including Winamp itself, incidentally.

Anyway, with the iPhone this is basically required: If we don't sort it that way when writing the database, the iPhone/iTouch will do it itself, but you wouldn't like the results. "The " and "A " songs will get sorted in so-called "strict" order, but then the iPod creates a header for each letter following the article! So you'd end up with a list like this (titles made up because I have nothing better to do ):
What about on the CoverFlow view? The albums there are sorted alphabetically by artist, but "The Beatles" and "The Cure" show up in the "T" section instead of "B" and "C", respectively. They do show up in "B" and "C" in the Artists browse list.
Old 15th January 2009, 17:48   #51
jdhar

Quote:
Originally posted by gilion
Hmm another few songs I transferred showed up in all of the correct areas so I'm not sure what the problem is. It should also be noted that ejecting/reading the contents of the iPhone takes a really long time in most cases. Also, when trying to transfer songs while they're playing I get a "Transfer error!" and below the status bars "Unhandled error during copy..." Once I stop the music and then transfer it works fine though.

[edit] I realized that the problem is that the iPhone isn't showing songs in strict alphabetical order, i.e. songs like "A Breath of Fresh Air" are placed under B instead of A with the alphabetical order all messed up.
See my post a few ones back abou the ejecting/reading taking a really long time. Abu pointed me to another post on how to properly handle album art. In my case, I have over 500MB over album art being transferred each time, which made it very slow.
jdhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2009, 17:49   #52
jdhar

Quote:
Originally posted by jdhar
The only issue I could find (other than the speed) is that all of my songs that don't have an Album are grouped together into an Album in the album list. MAkes sense since they all have the album name equal to eachother of <blank>, but is there no filter to catch this case? Is this supposed to happen? pmp_ipod and iTunes seems to catch this.
Abu, could you confirm is this behavior is expected? I understand if it's not in your plans to fix it.. I just want to confirm that this is something that is known or expected.
Old 15th January 2009, 18:37   #53
abu
mlipod moderator
(Senior Member)

Yes, that is what I expect to happen. If there is no album, I write an album name of " " into the database. Every track needs an album entry, otherwise the iPod won't show it at all. How do pmp_ipod or iTunes handle that? All my tracks have album entries, so I can't really test that...

Old 15th January 2009, 19:05   #54
jdhar

The rational is this. In my music collection, I have plenty of full albums, and then a bunch of singles where I don't own the full album to it. My logic is when I am looking through the list in 'Album view', I only want to see the full albums that I own.. otherwise I will see a whole bunch of albums with only 1 or 2 songs in them, which aren't complete by any means. This is why I forced all of my 'singles' to not have an album name, and iTunes seemed to be ok with this since it did not group them into an album named <blank>. I will have to confirm with pmp_ipod, but I believe it is the same since I did not have this issue until switching to ml_ipod.

Maybe my rational is flawed.. wouldn't be the first time
Old 16th January 2009, 11:46   #55
kartu

Guys as an owner of Touch 2g I am a bit confused about what I have to do to set it up. (reading this http://mlipod.sourceforge.net/wiki/I..._touch_support it suggests to "jailbreak" ipod, but afaik it's not jet possible with 2g touch)

Is installing AppleMobileDeviceSupport.msi + QTMLClient.dll / QuickTime.qts stil needed?
Will I be able to see non drm content which was copied to device by itunes?

I am sorry, if I've missed FAQ that already answers this question.
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2009, 15:08   #56
fatcerberus1
Major Dude

Yes, you need QuickTime and Apple Mobile Device Support installed, at the very least. AMDS is more like a driver than a program, so I don't mind installing it... but I have no clue why the QuickTime files are required. Abu, care to shed some light on that one?

Also: Jailbreaking is not required anymore since 3.08. ml_iPod can manage "virgin" iTouches as well as jailbroken ones.

Windows 7 Beta
Old 16th January 2009, 15:37   #57
abu
mlipod moderator
(Senior Member)

Quote:
... but I have no clue why the QuickTime files are required. Abu, care to shed some light on that one?
Apple Mobile Device Support depends on it . You can't load AppleMobileDeviceSupport DLL without having this sh** on PC...

Old 16th January 2009, 15:49   #58
abu
mlipod moderator
(Senior Member)

Quote:
Originally posted by kartu
Guys as an owner of Touch 2g I am a bit confused about what I have to do to set it up. (reading this http://mlipod.sourceforge.net/wiki/I..._touch_support it suggests to "jailbreak" ipod, but afaik it's not jet possible with 2g touch)
I updated that page to make it a bit less confusing.

Old 17th January 2009, 18:16   #59
Outcast

Unicode

So there's absolutely no chance of unicode support even people donate just for it?
Outcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2009, 19:26   #60
abu
mlipod moderator
(Senior Member)

No. You can always use pmp_ipod...

Old 20th January 2009, 06:52   #61
ctkatz8086

i can finally stop using the horrific itunes to sync my itouch and instead use my preferred media player. i was using mediamonkey but stopped because it could not download video podcasts and it could not recategorize my audio books and programs that i downloaded from various other sites. this does it within winamp.

i don't download music with itunes and i download my apps with the appstore program on the player itself. if i could jailbreak it or do drag-and-drop syncing like on my other players i would be golden

ctkatz8086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2009, 11:55   #62
abu
mlipod moderator
(Senior Member)

Quote:
Originally posted by ctkatz8086
if i could jailbreak it or do drag-and-drop syncing like on my other players i would be golden
What kind of drag-and-drop do you think of? You can drag'n drop inside Winamp, can't you?

Old 20th January 2009, 14:56   #63
ctkatz8086

drag and drop as in drag an mp3 from my computer and drop it on the player without using a third party program in between, something that i know is not going to happen ever in a billion years.

ctkatz8086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2009, 06:22   #64
Outcast

Quote:
Originally posted by abu
No. You can always use pmp_ipod...
pmp_ipod is kind of sucky...
Old 24th January 2009, 12:55   #65
abu
mlipod moderator
(Senior Member)

Quote:
Originally posted by Outcast
pmp_ipod is kind of sucky...
Yeah, but I'm really sorry. Have a look at http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....readid=273446, we discussed that some time ago.

Old 26th January 2009, 19:14   #66
kabutar

A quick question: what exactly does the 'backup' function do? Does it backup EVERYTHING on the iPhone (songs, applications, text msgs, contacts, etc) or does it only do songs, or only everything other than songs?

I use iTunes to backup right now, but if this does backup... then I can dump iTunes! Any info would be awesome. Thanks
kabutar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2009, 21:31   #67
abu
mlipod moderator
(Senior Member)

The backup function only dumps the database files, no songs, no other stuff.

Old 26th January 2009, 22:21   #68
kabutar

Quote:
Originally posted by abu
The backup function only dumps the database files, no songs, no other stuff.
thanks for the info. what exactly is included in the database files?

(sorry, I know it doesn't dump the songs themselves, but I thought it might dump a songlist or something since it can do album art as well)

Are there any plans to backup contacts/text messages/applications (though I'm not sure how applications work, lol) or incorporate the functionality of the iTunes 'backup' option? That would be the only thing holding me back from dumping iTunes, because if I do have to restore at some point, I'd be in big trouble.
Old 27th January 2009, 01:52   #69
kabutar

Sorry to doublepost, but while I'm here: when adding album art is there any way to set it to pad with blackspace instead of whitespace? The white bars look very jarring... again, I'm not sure what iTunes does (pad with black or silently crop to fit?)

Thanks again, and keep up the amazing work! You rock.
Old 27th January 2009, 07:57   #70
abu
mlipod moderator
(Senior Member)

At the moment, I have to say 'no' to both your requests, nothing planned. ml_iPod is mainly about managing music and videos, not the whole iPod. Apple changes stuff so quickly, we just couldn't catch up with it. You'll have to use iTunes for a full backup feature.
For the padding issue - please add this to the feature request list at SF, to insure that it gets tracked. Thanks.

The database files mainly contain the contents of the iPod music menus, and the connection between a song title and the corresponding filename on the device (the songs all get renamed to something like RHUK.mp3 during transfer, that's Apple's way of making things more complicated...). So, ml_ipod's backup feature is a bit misnamed, it is mainly for creating an archive in case the writing of the iTunesDB crashes, but you know that the songs are still there. then you could restore the database, and hopefully the songs would show up again.

Old 27th January 2009, 17:55   #71
kabutar

Thanks a ton for the info! That was exactly what I was hoping to find out. And fair enough - I guess I will just not dump iTunes quite yet lol.

I'll add the padding issue now. Thanks again for the detailed reply and all your time and effort!
Old 29th January 2009, 15:19   #72
Outcast

Quote:
Originally posted by abu
Yeah, but I'm really sorry. Have a look at http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....readid=273446, we discussed that some time ago.
Thanks for the reply. I'll still cross my fingers for a unicode version eventually. Keep up the great work!
Old 29th January 2009, 21:38   #73
abu
mlipod moderator
(Senior Member)

Quote:
Originally posted by Outcast
Thanks for the reply. I'll still cross my fingers for a unicode version eventually. Keep up the great work!
I think you have higher chances to ask for the missing features in pmp_ipod. Will is working full time on that now, I hope there is room for some feature requests. And pmp_ipod definitely has the better internal architecture and design to implement new features. ml_ipod's code is old, ugly and hard to maintain. pmp_ipod is the future.

Old 30th January 2009, 01:56   #74
fatcerberus1
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by abu
And pmp_ipod definitely has the better internal architecture and design to implement new features.
I'm not so sure I agree with that. ml_iPod is standalone, so it's free to do as it pleases in order to implement a feature. pmp_ipod has to work within the parameters of ml_pmp, which I think could make certain iPod-specific features difficult to implement without adding iPod-specific bloat to ml_pmp.

Windows 7 Beta
Old 30th January 2009, 14:35   #75
angelwolf71885

Quote:
Originally posted by abu
I think you have higher chances to ask for the missing features in pmp_ipod. Will is working full time on that now, I hope there is room for some feature requests. And pmp_ipod definitely has the better internal architecture and design to implement new features. ml_ipod's code is old, ugly and hard to maintain. pmp_ipod is the future.
dose that mean you might be stoping ml_ipod devolpment?
if yes the i request the relise of the sorce code so that another might contenue this wonderful programes devolpment
angelwolf71885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2009, 19:08   #76
DrO

Quote:
Originally posted by angelwolf71885
if yes the i request the relise of the sorce code so that another might contenue this wonderful programes devolpment
it already is open source

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2009, 20:01   #77
abu
mlipod moderator
(Senior Member)

Quote:
Originally posted by angelwolf71885
dose that mean you might be stoping ml_ipod devolpment?
Well, I'm pondering on that for more than a year already, but I always get back to the source and fix a thing or two. But I'm getting more and more angry about Apple, which in turn causes more and more frustration when I want to add something to ml_ipod. I would be more than happy if somebody else would join the "team" and continue with coding. I'm quite lonely here
As DrO said, it's OSS, for code see
http://mlipod.cvs.sourceforge.net/vi...lipod/ml_ipod/

So you can see for yourself, it's old, ugly, messy code - but it still works...

@fatcerberus1: Yes, maybe you are right, there are some restrictions due to ml_pmp. But all in all, the architecture seems to be better (using a central transfer queue for example, or clean Unicode APIs). It's only a guess, as this is closed source (the mayor point for keeping ml_ipod alive, in my opinion)

Old 30th January 2009, 22:43   #78
angelwolf71885

well i dont know code any codeing..wish i could help..
but just looking at all those files makes me go o.o lol

but i may have an idha or solushion for you
to aglest git more ppl developeing with you
or might be willing to take a large part of the raines..

try contacting the iphone dev team on thair IRC channel
one of the dev team might just talk to you...

it worth a shot..bedise thay might be able to tell you how to bedder communacate with the iphone i mean thay can communacate
with it all the way down the the rom lol...
if you need there irc channel just pm me and ill give it to ya..

hope i helped
angelwolf71885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2009, 10:46   #79
UndeddMonkey

I've gotten this to work very nicely with WinAmp. It will so far only work with my administrator account, it won't work under the other account on my computer (which is a standard user account). Is this normal, otherwise what do I have to do to get it to work with the other account?
UndeddMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2009, 04:26   #80
adrianblack

This is an amazing update! Happy to finally be able to use my Touch 2G. Great work guys!

But is it just me or do playcounts/ratings not sync from the iPod back to the ML at this point? The last few times I connected my Touch it said "0 songs altered" and wiped any changes I made to the ratings on my Touch.

My live playlists on touch are working fine, though.

I had the album art/coverflow glitch, but I just rebuilt the album art and it fixed it. Otherwise, I've had zero problems.

You can see a video I made of the glitch here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHjLxTSQXe4
adrianblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp iPod Plugin Discussion