Old 5th November 2009, 10:26   #2481
rockouthippie
Banned

Errr... No. You'll screw up the rhodium plating on the platinum/white gold and it's abrasive so not for yellow gold either. Some diamonds are coated. Take it to the jeweler. They'll tighten the stones up so you won't lose them too. For DYI cleaning, I wouldn't use anything stronger than ivory dishwashing soap and warm water. You can blow the guck out of a ring with a water pik tooth tool. Don't drop the thing down the sink...

Toothpaste OK for cheap silver stuff where you don't care if you grind it a little. Also for polishing scratches out of your watch xtal. Also for polishing scratches out of optical media... gently...just rub off the gloss of the scratch... you don't have to grind it completely out.. Gold, platinum and rhodium will not make oxide (tarnish) so if they are clean, they are shiny.

Last edited by rockouthippie; 5th November 2009 at 10:56.
Old 5th November 2009, 11:09   #2482
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

Really? Wow, for years the rich women around here have used Toothpaste for cleaning their diamonds..well, ya' live..ya learn... or not!
Old 5th November 2009, 11:26   #2483
SSJ4 Gogitta
Followed by Gnomes
(Forum King)

Location: West Virginia Googolplex: 10^10¹°° FB:/SSJ4.DominusDeus DeviantArt: DominusDeus XboX GT: A Wild Meeseeks Playstation 4: DominusDeus
Send a message via AIM to SSJ4 Gogitta
If you want to clean gunk off gold, silver, platinum and rhodium, I suggest a soak in pure acetone (an organic solvent). For tarnished/oxidized/toned silver, acetone will not harm the toning (certain toning on coins can actually bring a premium price, and knowing that acetone will remove the PVC on a PVC damaged rare coin, but not harm the metal is useful).

Acetone shouldn't hurt a diamond, but I'm not sure.

And if you do use acetone, know that it eats PVC, so don't pour it down your drain! Set it outside and let it evaporate.

Old 5th November 2009, 11:41   #2484
rockouthippie
Banned

I wouldn't. If soap and water wasn't enough, I'd tempt fate with ultrasonic or steam cleaning. I know some people use mild ammonia solutions, but I'd do as little as possible in general.

I think acetone has too great an opportunity to be reactive with something. Really I think unless you dipped your diamond in paint or something, soaking it in soap and water and using a water pik should do the job.

I do know you wouldn't EVER use toothpaste on a coin.
Old 5th November 2009, 11:49   #2485
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

^Proving I don't know my ass from my elbow regarding "good jewelry" maintenance!
Old 5th November 2009, 11:57   #2486
rockouthippie
Banned

I have a few silver rings that I wear, some turqoise, some gem, some plain. In the $40-$100 range. Toothpaste is just fine. It's quick, it grinds the tarnish off. On silver, the patina it leaves is acceptable. Who cares? Not my gold ring though.
Old 5th November 2009, 12:00   #2487
SSJ4 Gogitta
Followed by Gnomes
(Forum King)

Location: West Virginia Googolplex: 10^10¹°° FB:/SSJ4.DominusDeus DeviantArt: DominusDeus XboX GT: A Wild Meeseeks Playstation 4: DominusDeus
Quote:
Originally posted by rockouthippie
I wouldn't. If soap and water wasn't enough, I'd tempt fate with ultrasonic or steam cleaning. I know some people use mild ammonia solutions, but I'd do as little as possible in general.

I think acetone has too great an opportunity to be reactive with something. Really I think unless you dipped your diamond in paint or something, soaking it in soap and water and using a water pik should do the job.

I do know you wouldn't EVER use toothpaste on a coin.
I wouldn't use toothpaste on a coin, no, but acetone is harmless to silver and gold. Coin collectors I know (fucking rich ones that buy $20k coins on a whim) do indeed soak some of their damaged (but still valuable because they're ultra rare) coins in pure acetone, rinse with distilled water, then rinse in pure isopropyl alcohol. The only thing pure acetone will harm is organic materials such as PVC and oil residue (such as fingerprints).

Old 5th November 2009, 12:11   #2488
rockouthippie
Banned

I know my gold class ring is coated to make the stone less shiny. It's possible there's some jewelers compound (glue) in there that wouldn't take kindly to acetone. I know that's the case with some of my rings.

Acetone has got to be overkill. But I guess I could consider it in a fallback situation. A Hail Mary maybe.

Quote:
distilled water
Yep, even chlorine in water is slightly reactive with metals.
Old 5th November 2009, 18:10   #2489
SSJ4 Gogitta
Followed by Gnomes
(Forum King)

Didn't buy this myself, but I did receive it in the mail the day before yesterday as a gift from a friend. It's the PS3 version. Played a bit for a couple hours this morning. Quite fun.

Current favorite weapons is the pistol that sets shit on fire, and the sniper rifle that does the same.

Old 5th November 2009, 18:12   #2490
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

^ Uh..er...Is this a guy thing, or anger issues?
Old 5th November 2009, 18:16   #2491
SSJ4 Gogitta
Followed by Gnomes
(Forum King)

No, it's just that the weapons are really effective at killing shit at this point.

You've heard the phrase, "kill it with fire!" Well, those guns do just that.

Old 5th November 2009, 18:31   #2492
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

^

*backs away ...slowly*
Old 5th November 2009, 22:47   #2493
cooky560
Major Dude

Send a message via MSN to cooky560 Send a message via Yahoo to cooky560 Send a message via Skype™ to cooky560
A lovely meal

Cooky560 - Making Pointless Posts since 8/12/ 2002

WWW.
Victory Requires no explanation, defeat allows none.
All that Evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing
Old 5th November 2009, 23:36   #2494
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to swingdjted Send a message via Yahoo to swingdjted
Diamonds are cleaned at the jeweler's by use of an ultrasonic technique. The vibrations in combination with steam somehow clean the stone. If a customer handles a stone on the sales floor, they'll take a paper soaked in common bathroom alcohol to wipe it down.

Last bought - Scotcharoos from the sophomores' bake sale.

Don't forget to live before you die.
Old 6th November 2009, 01:03   #2495
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to k_rock923
Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000:

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
Old 6th November 2009, 02:30   #2496
fc*uk

Quote:
Originally posted by swingdjted
Diamonds are cleaned at the jeweler's by use of an ultrasonic technique. The vibrations in combination with steam somehow clean the stone.
[annoying chemist's input]
Sonicators do not steam, they only vibrate. Sonicators work off the principle of fundamental vibration harmonics whereby vibrations of a generic energy are produced that are of the correct generic harmonic to break generic chemical bonds. Thus, cleaning is possible.

Sure, the water/solution acting as the sonicating medium does heat up ... but that is only because the medium is absorbing the energy of the vibrations as well and getting down with the jive. The result being, the medium has to release it's new found extra energy because it really can't sustain it in a stable from ... thus heat is produced.

Sonicators are also well known to break up aggregates, thereby increasing the rate solubility by increasing the surface area of the analyte exposed to the solute.

[/annoying chemist's input]

But yes, overall, they magically clean/dissolve all kinds of shit.
Old 6th November 2009, 04:08   #2497
rockouthippie
Banned

They can also damage jewelry, but not if it isn't about ready to fail anyway.

Diamond Ring Jungle Juice.

Soak a diamond ring in 1 pint 190 proof Everclear for an hour.
Remove ring. Wipe it with a chamois.
Mix liquid with 1 can fruit punch and 2 cans water in a punch bowl. Add a chunk of dry ice. Lemon slices. Orange slices.
Drink heavily.
Inspect ring.
Chant "Oh fuck I spent a shit pot of money on this thing!"
Suppress urge to slap Old Lady when she says "Have you been drinking again!"
Give Old Lady a good slug of JJ claiming it's got Vitamin C.
Leave toilet seat up.
Socks and underwear on floor.
Fall asleep immediately after sex.
Remind her in the morning that you cleaned her wedding ring.

Old 6th November 2009, 10:28   #2498
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

John? John is that you?

Last edited by Widdykats; 6th November 2009 at 10:51.
Old 6th November 2009, 12:49   #2499
rockouthippie
Banned

A midnight run for Zantac to try to keep the TV dinners I ate from burning a hole in me. Too late.
Old 9th November 2009, 04:28   #2500
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by fc*uk
[annoying chemist's input]
Sonicators do not steam, they only vibrate. Sonicators work off the principle of fundamental vibration harmonics whereby vibrations of a generic energy are produced that are of the correct generic harmonic to break generic chemical bonds. Thus, cleaning is possible.

Sure, the water/solution acting as the sonicating medium does heat up ... but that is only because the medium is absorbing the energy of the vibrations as well and getting down with the jive. The result being, the medium has to release it's new found extra energy because it really can't sustain it in a stable from ... thus heat is produced.

Sonicators are also well known to break up aggregates, thereby increasing the rate solubility by increasing the surface area of the analyte exposed to the solute.

[/annoying chemist's input]

But yes, overall, they magically clean/dissolve all kinds of shit.
^I like the description - does this mean that sonic cleaning happens with the ring submerged in liquid then? If that's the case, then the steaming they tell me about would be a separate process I guess?

Anyway, I just ordered a new mattress and box-springs set:
http://www.slumberland.com/furniture...CategoryID=152

The picture is not exactly what I got, but the description is. It's the same but king sized and with a taller box spring than the low-profile one pictured. The brand is "Stearns & Foster", which is the upper division of Sealy Posturepeidc, similar to Acura being the upper division to Honda. We tried literally dozens of mattresses over the course of months before choosing this one, and it just seemed perfect. Neither of us like the texture of pillow-top mattresses, and it seems that no other brand of non-pillow-top mattresses felt quite right.

The spring-within-a-spring design gives a graduated amount of firmness the further you push down on one spot of the mattress, so that it gives a soft surface but without swallowing a heavy portion of the body. The surface materials are very good at breathing to keep things cool and dry. The design of the spring infrastructure keeps you still if your bed-mate decides to get up or toss and turn. The level top keeps you from losing real estate from the doming effect created by other plush tops. It was the only mattress that could keep my shoulder under me without cutting off circulation, overheating that area of the body (like all-foam mattresses), or causing me to shift my torso so that the shoulder was in front the way I would on a more firm mattress (causing undue neck bending when attempting to sleep on my side - hard to explain without pictures). It's also one of the only mattresses still made with handles.

In addition to the set, the salesman tossed in a steel frame, a mattress protector, a bedsheet/pillowcase set, two very high quality king-sized pillows (half memory foam, half latex foam), and free delivery. I'll post pictures when it all arrives.

Old 9th November 2009, 05:22   #2501
rockouthippie
Banned

Ultrasonic cleaners are kind of a neat thing and pretty reasonable to buy for home use. They work because the ultrasonic waves create a massive amount of surface tension in the solution, usually a surfactant and water. I've used one for cleaning labware with a few drops of ammonia and water. It does result in cleaning that is even sterile.

I have a household steam cleaner, which is really handy for blasting goop out of the cracks in things. Nice for the car and getting in the nooks and crannies and for cleaning walls.

Would I stick an expensive diamond ring in one or blast one with a steam cleaner? There probably wouldn't be any reason not to. On the other hand, I like accidents with stuff like that to be someone elses fault.

In a former relationship "Gee, I can fix a Ford, but you'll have to take your BMW to the mechanic, Honey" Of course, that was a complete lie. I just preferred to be a lesser target! I learned when I changed a headlight and got blamed for something completely unrelated. How changing a headlight makes the fuel injection fail... didn't matter...

It was shortly after that where I quit doing anything at all for her and she went and found another victim. That was nice.

I know. I know. All women aren't like that, but you should always consider where you could go wrong and choose your battles. It's fine to sometimes let things be someone elses fault. Then you can be supportive....

Because all women are a little like that.

Nice mattress, but for a couple grand, where's the steering wheel

Last edited by rockouthippie; 9th November 2009 at 05:46.
Old 10th November 2009, 07:45   #2502
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

I spend more time in bed than in a vehicle, despite having a 57 mile round trip each work day plus errands and recreational driving, and I'll try and spread the mattress life over 2 decades if I'm lucky, which comes to well over 50,000 hours spent in that bed if I average 7 hours per night. Some of the best times of my life are in a bed, so I really value it. I could have bought a lower quality mattress with a very nice bedframe with beautifully sculpted headboard and foot-board, etc. which was a worthy thought, but really, when I'm in the bedroom, I'm either looking at the back of my eyelids or my wife, so having a good looking bed took a back seat to a higher quality mattress and a bare-bones metal frame. Perhaps a few years down the road I'll buy a nice bedroom furniture set, but there are other priorities for now. I've been rather heavy on the spending these past couple months, and it's making me worry that I won't have a buffer for unexpected-needs such as a sudden change in health, employment or something like that.

I totally understand the women thing... and they have valid complaints about a lot of us too. I had to pull out a lot of weeds before I found a good flower. Some looked really hard and stretched quite a bit for a way to pass the blame to me for anything that wasn't going right, almost to the point of teaching me to do the same back, which is even worse. It was to the point where I was convinced that being single was better, and up until that point I really was better off single than involved with the people I dated. I got burned out to the point where I was very reluctant to start anything with Renee despite her being attractive to me, because the other gals of the past had been as much or more attractive on initial first impressions, and then turned out to be pains in the ass. The difference was that with those of the past, things started good and turned gradually bad over time, and with Renee, things started good and gradually got better.

It's really sad - instead of having a gal's reactions to blame for keeping me from doing work, I can't really figure out what it is. I used to do a lot of shit on my own like brakes, body work, basic tune-ups (plugs, wires, filters, liquids, adjustments, distributer cap...) etc. Some of that is obsolete now, but, in the last 2 years I've just thrown the vehicles at the stealership and borrow a loaner from them to take to a book store or something until the job is done, and then I bitch about the labor costs... laziness I suppose. I even paid the high school Spanish club to wash/detail the truck the other day for their fund raiser instead of cleaning it my own damn self. It was a pretty good-weather weekend day for it too.

Someone needs to kick me in the ass a bit so that I start doing my own shit again.

Last bought - more loratadine (generic Claritin) and *************** (generic Sudafed) to keep my allergies from causing any more annoying upper respiratory infections. In combination, those two produce a really cheap Claritin-D. Although it's just suppressing symptoms, I was told it reduces the chance of those symptoms causing something worse.

for fuck's sake my posts are getting too damn long - let me know if it's too much - I don't mind the criticism in that regard

Old 10th November 2009, 16:55   #2503
NJK
The Frisian

we are getting rid of old papers.
we even found stuff dating back to 1991

since it contains personal info i went out got one of these things

now where is the manual to get it working?

Each Thursday a new show on Celtica Radio with Darkwave music.

WINAMPSHOUTCAST
Old 10th November 2009, 17:38   #2504
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

^ Woah! That's really kinda cool!
I still have a GAP gift Certificate and I'm going out tomorrow and I like This
and I'm looking for some Olive Green Sweaters.
Old 12th November 2009, 04:06   #2505
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Why is is so damn addicting to shred paper? I use one at work and it's the highlight of my day to watch a piece of paper go through it. When my credit card expired a month ago (issued a new one), I impatiently waited all weekend so that I could finally go to work Monday and watch with absolute euphoria as the old one was reduced to 1" x 1/4" shreds.

Old 12th November 2009, 05:18   #2506
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
almost to the point of teaching me to do the same back, which is even worse
I bow to your discovery of that fact. It is in the best tradition of men that you have found that understanding. If you found a lady that understands it, you are indeed fortunate, because it can be easily confused with indifference, which was not what we were about at all... huh bud?
Old 12th November 2009, 23:09   #2507
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

It just sucks when I learn bad habits from people who I once thought were good for me. It extends to co-workers, family, and other friends too. One can only assert their own personality so far before their environment finally rubs off on them. It could be as simple as the rather annoying habit of ending spoken statements with "so..." or "but..." (just talk to people and/or watch television and count how many people end statements with that shit). Or, it could be something as bad as trying to shut down everybody's statements with a 'devil's advocate' response, even when said response doesn't really serve any purpose. Both are things I have caught myself doing after being around someone else that did it all the time around me, and now I have to try and remember to hit the brakes before that shit spews out of my mouth.

Last bought:

a school lunch because I was running too late this morning to pack my own. It didn't suck! Our kids don't eat gourmet, but really, I'm pleasantly impressed. The salad, meatloaf, and mashed potatoes they served were pretty good, despite the ugly industrial-style sectional tray. The half-pint of milk was nowhere near enough though, but at $2.45 total, I can't complain. From what I hear, the kids don't have anything to throw away most days, so they're either really hungry to the point of not caring about bad food, or the food is good. I'm guessing we're pretty lucky and it's the latter of the two that is true. All my past schools gave food that I could get down in a pinch, but was mostly not very good.

Old 13th November 2009, 00:01   #2508
rockouthippie
Banned

I want $2.45 lunch, because I will have to get off my butt, I hsve a cold, I am playing switchboard for family because my mom isn't doing so good, Daisy need petties, and nobody has called me today caring to help, quite the contrary.

The highlight of my day was talking to one of mom's care providers, a sturdy black woman named Sheika, whose cheerfulness was really welcome. I'm tellin' you guys, if I was 15 years younger!

I will have to find some way to return a favor.
Old 17th November 2009, 04:48   #2509
MidnightViper88
Made In The USA
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88 Send a message via Yahoo to MidnightViper88
Picked up a copy of Modern Warfare 2 last week

"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
Old 17th November 2009, 06:04   #2510
EfaustuS9
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to EfaustuS9 Send a message via AIM to EfaustuS9 Send a message via Yahoo to EfaustuS9
Quote:
Originally posted by MidnightViper88
Picked up a copy of Modern Warfare 2 last week

[Image]
you me and 4,699,998 others.

Old 17th November 2009, 07:44   #2511
Psythik
Got his CT back
and didn't pay $10
(Forum King)

Was originally gonna get Modern Warfare 2 but it's way too expensive ($60 for a freakin' game!?), and doesn't have dedicated servers. So far I'm not regretting my decision; L4D2 is a blast!

This is a sig of some nature.
Old 17th November 2009, 10:04   #2512
P$ycHo™
Flakmonkey!

Did you see the hacked multiplayer on PC yet? Its really funny xD

edit: I'm talking about MW2
Old 23rd November 2009, 23:25   #2513
Razzinno
Piffle Producer

Silk Stalkings DVDs Seasons 1-4
Old 25th November 2009, 21:24   #2514
vagassi

Latest Ipod with huge memory to store lot of movies and music.
Old 26th November 2009, 16:05   #2515
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

It was delivered this past Monday but haven't had time to post a pic. With such a good mattress set, I thought I would never want to get out of bed when the alarm screamed, but oddly enough, when it's time to get up; I feel well-rested and wide awake, and it's quite easy to get up. No more feeling like shit for the first hour of the day and still being drowsy after that. Made in USA.

There was a lot of other stuff tossed in, (frame, sheets, etc.) including these pillows. They are top half "memory foam" and bottom half latex foam (or vice-versa if you flip it). They are king sized (despite my link's saying queen only), and were tossed in to the mattress sale free despite being such high-end models. Made in Canada. The link is worth checking out.

http://www.organicsleep*************/...ct-pillow.html

Everything above is advertised as naturally hypoallergenic and antimicrobial. I'll see if that holds true over time though.

Old 28th November 2009, 18:31   #2516
NJK
The Frisian

went into the city to get me a pair of these

WINAMPSHOUTCAST
Old 28th November 2009, 20:02   #2517
deeder7001
Jesus Freak
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to deeder7001 Send a message via Yahoo to deeder7001
The last thing I can remember buying is a gallon of Arizona tea. Sweet tea with lemon flavor I think.

There is no sig.
Old 28th November 2009, 22:52   #2518
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

I like the shoes - do you mind telling me what model or price? They look like something I'd like to have to keep up with the dogs when they tow me around the neighborhood. The soles look to have a slightly aggressive tread pattern which could be quite handy in light snow while still not weighing much.

Arizona tea in a gallon? I'd like to see that (or does that mean a multi-pack of smaller amounts?)

Old 28th November 2009, 23:12   #2519
NJK
The Frisian

Reebok is the brand, don't ask me what type they are.

they cost me only 29 euro's which is about 25 dollars

A shop that sells stock that they buy from the insurance companies after fires, shops that go banktrupt etc etc

WINAMPSHOUTCAST
Old 29th November 2009, 02:26   #2520
SSJ4 Gogitta
Followed by Gnomes
(Forum King)

Actually, 29 Euro is $43.47.

Closed Thread
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions