Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion

Old 26th January 2010, 14:51   #201
r.e.e.d

found a small bug in playlist when I mistakenly added a folder twice:

removing duplicate entries causes playlist loose the ability to retrieve tag info, only displaying filename info like if don't have id3 tag(artist/music).

it shoud have a refresh command.

Winamp 5.572 build 2830

to reproduce:

1. clean install
2. add a folder with more files that the playlist can show
3. add some duplicate files from this same folder(or the entire folder)
4. remove duplicate entries (via shift+delete shortcut or button doesn't matter)
5. result > playlist show some music with id3 tag info and the others without, only filename. (scroll if necessary).

it's happening with all classic/modern/bento skins, so is a playlist bug
r.e.e.d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2010, 15:37   #202
Alpha2k6

The file assosciation to .m3u playlists doesn't seem to stick to winamp using the version 5.572.. think that 5.571 was the same.

Alpha2k6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2010, 15:37   #203
DrO

r.e.e.d: can you provide a copy of the playlist contents (ideally as a m3u8 playlist) before and after you've done that action (and as a clarification it's not a direct playlist action and is implemented via gen_jumpex.dll) though i've just tried to reproduce it (after changing playlist title reading back to play+view instead of background reading) and couldn't get it to happen. also can you provide a plugins list so we can check plugin versions please.

Alpha2k6: have you definitely made sure that you're running the current 5.572 build (if need be please create a plugin's list for us to confirm).

[edit]
list of plugins

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2010, 16:41   #204
r.e.e.d

it's a clean install/default plugins.

added a screenshot and a original m3u8 without duplicates
Old 26th January 2010, 17:13   #205
DrO

r.e.e.d: i've worked out what's going on. with how you're loading the files, Winamp hasn't cached all of the title data for the files which is causing an unfortunate quirk in the remove duplicates functionality.

so... when the remove duplicates is done, Winamp is queried for the title as the code is essentially creating a new playlist and it passes to Winamp the title it received back. the benefit of this is that it doesn't cause a complete re-population of the playlist titles when they are already known.

however as you've found, if the titles aren't fully loaded then when you use the remove duplicates, it's filling the title data with a best guess (essentially the filename) which Winamp provided in the creation of the new playlist.

so i guess i'll have to have a look at determining in a better way if a file title has been loaded for the file otherwise not pass anything in order to get Winamp to try to load it again.

-daz
Old 26th January 2010, 17:25   #206
r.e.e.d

ok! thanks.
Old 27th January 2010, 12:07   #207
Alpha2k6

Quote:
Alpha2k6: have you definitely made sure that you're running the current 5.572 build (if need be please create a plugin's list for us to confirm).
So ill just post it here then...

http://meggamusic.co.uk/shup/1264599664/My_Plugins.txt
Alpha2k6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2010, 13:43   #208
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Alpha2k6: Please attach such infos as txt file in future, it's a pain to scroll, if a posting is so long.
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2010, 18:01   #209
Stone Free

Argh, I noticed there is no mention of the cross linking track issue (iPod classic anyway).

Haven't had a chance to see if its been silently fixed. Only got back from Holiday yesterday.

I will be really narked if this isn't fixed, I either use winamps iPod support and have artwork displayable, but cross linked tracks occurring, or used ml_ipod which doesn't have artwork supprt.

And yes I have plenty of times formated, resynched and a few weeks later cross linked tracks.

I'm convinced the problem is having clashing file names when uploading to the iPod, because one week things are fine and the next a different song plays to the one from the week before, with incorrect length after copy new items to the iPod
Stone Free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2010, 00:34   #210
Calico Jack

Quote:
Originally posted by osmosis
Anyone else getting a crash when manually choosing "Remove missing files from Media Library"?

It only occurs for me at the end of the scan when it finds files to remove. Another interesting thing to note is that it doesn't appear the check the first time I click it, the menu just flickers and comes back.
I am seeing that also on Win7 Pro.

When I open "Remove missing files from Media Library" the first click does nothing and I have to click it again then it runs the scan and Winamp crashes.

Winamp Pro latest version.
Calico Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2010, 23:07   #211
knalsite

I just want to chime in with the rest that the new OSD is no improvement with the old version. It takes up too much from the window, is right in front of the subtitles (and stays there for 5s before fading away) and is positioned too high. The old one was nice and basic (which is one of the main reasons why I like Winamp) and got the job done.

Hopefully there will be some changes or at least an option to use the previous, less intrusive OSD.
knalsite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2010, 17:17   #212
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Just added this to the Updates & Extras section of the first post:

Local Media plugin (ml_local.dll) v2.91
Fixes: Rating lost when updating mp3 file info

Also fixes the weirdness when rating mp4/m4a files with writeratings=1 set in gen_ml.ini
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2010, 18:55   #213
osmosis
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by Calico Jack
I am seeing that also on Win7 Pro.

When I open "Remove missing files from Media Library" the first click does nothing and I have to click it again then it runs the scan and Winamp crashes.

Winamp Pro latest version.
Windows 7 Pro and Winamp Pro here as well.

I think I partially figured it out.. when it flickers on the first click it IS starting it but it's either behind the window or just hasn't drawn it yet.. if you wait it eventually pops up. The second click (basically running two scans at once) is what I think crashes it. I seem to recall this feature normally blocking you from doing other things in Winamp when it's running (is the term "modal"?); so the big problem is that it's not locking down the window - allowing the second run.
osmosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2010, 20:59   #214
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
Quote:
Originally posted by DJ Egg
Just added this to the Updates & Extras section of the first post:

Local Media plugin (ml_local.dll) v2.91
Fixes: Rating lost when updating mp3 file info

Also fixes the weirdness when rating mp4/m4a files with writeratings=1 set in gen_ml.ini
Egg, what is this? can you explain it a bit? does it write ratings into the tags? i know benski did an initial thing, but i'm looking for the one that will be compatible with WMP and also bidirectional between tags and ML.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2010, 21:59   #215
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

It's initially the fix for the "Rating is wiped when updating MP3 File Info" bug in 5.57x.

There was also a weird bug which affected m4a when the writeratings=1 setting was enabled,
where the m4a file lost all metadata and format info until the next m4a file was rated, etc etc.

So yes, it's the natural continuation of the development for writing ratings to tags
(currently for mp3 & mp4/m4a only, with hopefully flac, ogg & wma to follow later).
Old 1st February 2010, 22:48   #216
MrSinatra
Forum King

Egg,

please forgive these questions, but i'm hopelessly confused.

does 5.572 support writing or reading ratings to/from tags in any way? i was under the impression it did not.

my understanding is that winamp only supports ratings in the ML DB and ignores tags all together.

in "Wish #1" in my sig below, benski gave me a "beta way" to do ratings, but i can't use it b/c its not compatible with WMP or anything else. my understanding was he was going to work on it and i haven't heard anything since.

so i am still then totally confused by what you posted above. i don't understand what it does, what it is, or what it is meant to fix?

--
Old 1st February 2010, 23:19   #217
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

MrSinatra:

The feature is a brand new feature, which still needs a lot of work. While 5.572 was only a bug fix realese.

The feature can be manually enabled, if you set writeratings=1 in gen_ml.ini.

But there is still no GUI to enable it via options and it's disabled as default, because it isn't finished yet and may has some glitches.

The updated file fixes some weird issues with rating of mp4/m4a files, if people have manually enabled that option.

It also fixes another issue which is independent from the new (hidden) feature and important for all users.

Again 5.572 was just an unplanned release to fix some bugs. Bug fix releases usually don't contain incomplete, new features.

The feature will be available in an upcoming release (maybe 5.58?).
Old 2nd February 2010, 04:24   #218
MrSinatra
Forum King

i'm still confused...

do i need the "popm.zip" stuff still? (the stuff benski posted in my wish #1 link in my sig)

or is what Egg posted all i need? what manual edits to ini or other files do i need to make?

and i still don't know how the feature is implemented or to what degree... does winamp now read and write ratings to tags? what if the ML already has ratings? which takes precedence? what scale is being used to represent the ratings? 0-255? etc...

--
Old 2nd February 2010, 04:56   #219
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

@Mr Sinatra

The POPM frame stuff (in_mp3 & ml_local) that Benski posted in your thread was included in 5.572

However, we didn't document it, because it's a work in progress.

We disabled it by default, and to enable it you need to manually set:

writeratings=1

in gen_ml.ini

So... the newer ml_local.dll fixes two 5.57-specific bugs related to ratings:

1. Rating is lost when updating mp3 file info

ie. rate a file in winamp, then view File Info (Alt+3) for that file,
click 'Update'
and the rating you just set is gone.

2. When writeratings=1 is set in gen_ml.ini, m4a files temporarily lose metadata & format info when you rate them.

ie. add an album of m4a files to the playlist,
rate the first track,
then try to play it - and notice how it skips to the next track.
If you view File Info for that 1st track, the metadata & format info are empty.
However, when you rate track 2, then track 1 becomes playable again,
and the metadata & format info return,
but then track 2 is affected by the bug instead.
The only way to fix it was to make a physical copy of the last track and rate that last.
Then all the album tracks were ok, and you could then close winamp and delete the copied file
(Windows wasn't letting you delete said file, because it was locked whilst Winamp was open).

The new ml_local fixes all that.

The first bug occurred regardless of the writeratings setting, but was caused by the implementation of that feature.

Oh, and it also fixes the tabbing order of Director & Producer in the Edit Selected Items (Ctrl+E) dialog.

Re: "what if the ML already has ratings? which takes precedence? what scale is being used to represent the ratings? 0-255?"

Well, if you've already rated an mp3 in Winamp before the popm feature was implemented/enabled,
then the rating will only be stored in the ML database.

If you rate it again in Winamp, then both the mldb entry and id3v2 popm field will be updated,
so Winamp will then read the new value.

If you rate it externally with a program/app that writes ratings to the popm frame (ID3FID_POPULARIMETER),
then as with all things when edited externally,
you will need to refresh the metadata in the library for Winamp to be able to see it.

ie. Media Library -> Local Media view -> song(s) -> right-click -> Read metadata on selected items

Yes, we're using the WMP-style 0-255 scale for ID3FID_POPULARIMETER
(0,1,64,128,196,255)

The ID3FN_RATING field stores the Rating within the POPM frame.
Though note that the IDFN_RATING is not standardized.
e.g. Some players/systems use a 1-10 scale, and then divided by 2,
some use just 1-5,
some use 0-255 (and the scale might not always coincide with wmp's version above)
etc etc etc.

At the moment, I think we read popm 0-255, but write 1-5,
which is why currently, eg. a 1-5 star rating in Winamp only shows as 1 star in Windows, heh
(I guess this will need changing).

By the way, I strongly recommend that you DO NOT use Windows Explorer / WMP in Windows 7 to edit any tags whatsoever, including star Ratings, because it destroys custom TXXX frames such as Album Artist and ReplayGain:
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/...howtopic=76998

That's a pretty bad bug in Win7, and I'm quite amazed that it hasn't been patched yet.
Old 2nd February 2010, 05:30   #220
MrSinatra
Forum King

DJ Egg,

thanks for that reply, very helpful. in the interests of not dragging this thread [hijacked] further off topic i posted your post and my reply in my wish thread. would you be good enough to reply there please?

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....52#post2625752

--
Old 2nd February 2010, 13:17   #221
Stone Free

Am I ever going to get any acknowledgement of the iPod syncing occasionally causing cross linked tracks, and track disappearance?
Stone Free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2010, 21:10   #222
osmosis
Major Dude

I had crosslinked tracks at one point and have also noticed entire library disappearance when it overfills. pmp_ipod doesn't properly account for the space required for the iPod Control and album art files so when it autofills from empty to 100% full the database can't be written to the iPod even though all the files are there. ml_ipod can fix this. I keep it on standby for such things, though I like the way pmp_ipod is streamlined into the ML interface better.

Request: A little SmartView Query Language love.
Old 5th February 2010, 18:01   #223
osmosis
Major Dude

It also seems as though SoundCheck info is inconsistently written to the IPod_Control DB from replaygain id3 tags, resulting in some tracks still playing more quietly than they would in winamp even though soundcheck is being applied to them.

Request: A little SmartView Query Language love.
Old 10th February 2010, 14:31   #224
spin26

want to have bento skin combine video and vis tab as one (video as priority if playing video files)

also i want to have a mini tabs as small as the repeat/shuffle buttons line vertically for the multi content view on its left instead of the small button on the lower right to switch between file info/vis/settings/eq

And Lastly to have an option
DO NOT SHOW BROWSER TAB!

already posted on the wishlist, just to have some attention..

Sorry for being stubborn just want to have those.. U
spin26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2010, 18:32   #225
MrSinatra
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by osmosis
It also seems as though SoundCheck info is inconsistently written to the IPod_Control DB from replaygain id3 tags, resulting in some tracks still playing more quietly than they would in winamp even though soundcheck is being applied to them.
soundcheck, from what i understand, isn't complete enough, while RG is. i believe if a file has both SC and RG then RG should be used (meaning in general). if only SC, then SC should be used. if only RG then an attempt should be made to have RG info work for SC on an ipod, but i would not be surprised if that attempt isn't totally successful.

itunes sux, ipods suck, and i would use a mp3 player that supports RG.

--
Old 10th February 2010, 21:00   #226
DrO

spin26: you know you're not meant to double-post (as you've done) and as for the request you're probably going to get it implemented quicker by taking the bento source code and working on it yourself (not trying to sound harsh but being realistic with such a large design change for the skin).

-daz
Old 11th February 2010, 00:08   #227
zepper

When installing the latest version 5.572 if support for MP4s is checked it disables DirectShow for that extension.

Normally I use ffdshow codecs for MP4s and so MP4; is in DirectShow. But it still wouldn't work until I removed "in_mp4.dll" from the Plugins folder. There wasn't a problem with Flash videos, which I also use ffdshow codecs for.

It only took me about two hours to figure it out because after updating I could no longer get my MP4s to work. So what good is "in_mp4.dll", all I got was sound and no video?
zepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2010, 02:26   #228
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Please refer to the release notes in the first post:
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....d=315355#video
Old 14th February 2010, 13:46   #229
Cozmoz

Hi guys, I'm running Winamp 5.572 and found it crashes when I add new Podcast feeds.

I'm running Windows XP Pro, Version 2002, Service Pack 3.
Cozmoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2010, 14:35   #230
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

We can't reproduce the problem.
Please provide some example feed url's which cause Winamp to crash.
Also include details of the crash error message.
Are you adding the feeds via the Podcast Directory interface
or via the manual "Add RSS Subscription" dialog?
Attaching your List of Plugins would also help...
Old 14th February 2010, 15:47   #231
Cozmoz

Here are some example feeds:

pcast://leo.am/podcasts/twif - This week in the fun (clicked on link directly)

http://revision3.com/internetsuperstar/feed/MP4-Large (Added via "Add RSS Subscription")

http://g4tv.com//xplay/podcasts/6/XPlay_Daily_Video_Podcast.xml (Added via "Add RSS Subscription")

I seem to have trouble reproducing the problem when removing and adding existing podcasts.

Please find my list of plugins attached.
Old 14th February 2010, 19:36   #232
Serpher

I've noticed a strange bug.
In 5.572 Winamp version on Winamp Modern Skin try to grab and move to left that vertical bar on Playlist Editor but do not drop it, just hold. You should see something like that:

As attached file I send windows crash log.
The library that causes this is "tataki.dll".

Sorry for my bad English
=====================
MB: Gigabyte P35C-DS3R || CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 (3.00 GHz) || RAM: 8 GB Kingston DDR3 1333MHz || Audio card: ASUS Xonar D2X || Video card: GeForce 460 GTX || OS: Windows 7 SP1 || DirectX: 9.0c (latest) || Winamp version: latest || Winamp skin: Modern
Serpher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2010, 21:16   #233
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

@Serpher

What vertical bar on Winamp Modern skin Playlist Editor?
You mean the sidecar from the Essentials Pack?
If yes, then it's not supported, but maybe Martin might look into it...?

@Cozmoz

Those feeds don't crash Winamp for me.
Well, they all add to Subscriptions ok anyway.
The mp3 podcasts from the 1st & 3rd feeds all play (stream) ok, though the g4tv server is a bit iffy.
The revision3.com h264/mp4 podcasts play like shit though, lol.
Alas, mp4 video streaming (with in_mp4, Winamp Pro only) still needs a lot of work.
When downloaded, the mp4 files play ok though...

What's the details of the crash error message?

Do you still get a crash after removing in_mplayer.dll
and setting output to out_ds instead of out_mp3?
Old 14th February 2010, 22:04   #234
Cozmoz

I've made ur suggested changes and I'll let you know if the error occurs again and with what feed.
Old 14th February 2010, 22:30   #235
Serpher

@DJ Egg
Maybe I described that using wrong words. Either way I don't know if it is from Essentials Pack or build into but it is what you saying.

Sorry for my bad English
=====================
MB: Gigabyte P35C-DS3R || CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 (3.00 GHz) || RAM: 8 GB Kingston DDR3 1333MHz || Audio card: ASUS Xonar D2X || Video card: GeForce 460 GTX || OS: Windows 7 SP1 || DirectX: 9.0c (latest) || Winamp version: latest || Winamp skin: Modern
Old 14th February 2010, 22:54   #236
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Just installed the Playlist Sidecar (from the EP) for testing and couldn't reproduce any crash here, doesn't matter, where I move the vertical bar to.

You may should delete studio.xnf, this files gets often corrupt from time to time and produces weird issues.
Old 15th February 2010, 08:24   #237
Serpher

For me windows was tellin' that "tataki.dll" file was responsible for the crash, but now I've done clean install and all its normal. The weird thing is that the Sidecar previously was "wider", I mean there is that vertical 1px wide grey beam, and then was like maybe 10px wide o_O
Just nevermind...

Sorry for my bad English
=====================
Old 17th February 2010, 23:23   #238
Serpher

Check this:
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....61#post2632461

Sorry for my bad English
=====================
Old 25th February 2010, 12:27   #239
OlexijL

Send a message via AIM to OlexijL Send a message via Yahoo to OlexijL
I have a following problem:
After inserting an Audio CD in the drive Autoplay window comes, and i select Winamp to play disc.
Winamp launches and crashes immediately after this.

However i can launch Winamp and play disc normally.

olexijl

running Winamp 5.572 on Win7
OlexijL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2010, 21:38   #240
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

OlexijL:

Can you post the whole crash message or provide a screenshot of it?

Also does tthis happen, when it's accessing Gracenore database and is the 'Rip & Burn' view in the library opened during the crash?
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion