Old 30th January 2011, 15:33   #2841
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to swingdjted Send a message via Yahoo to swingdjted
I had a wireless kybd/mouse set that went bad from logitch. They replaced it free with an MK300 (also inexpensive model) and it's been really good so far since. I only use those when I'm using the computer as a media center and I don't feel like getting up from my listening/viewing position. Most of what I do in that case is on the computer's TV card remote anyway.

Don't forget to live before you die.
Old 30th January 2011, 17:01   #2842
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to k_rock923
When I was doing Linux work, my mice lasted forever. Now that I took a job doing Windows admin work, my mice can't take all the clicking involved.

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
Old 31st January 2011, 01:33   #2843
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

Send a message via Yahoo to Too-DAMN-Much
i really have no clue why, but i could post up a graveyard of logitech input devices that.... well honestly, i'd be afraid they might sue me for defamation, their hardware seems to have the shortest lifespan out of any i've tried, but conversely more features.

I hate everyone, so you don't have to.
Old 31st January 2011, 01:36   #2844
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to k_rock923
I've heard that they are really good about replacing things under warranty. Have you had any experience with their support?

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
Old 31st January 2011, 03:33   #2845
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_rock923 View Post
I've heard that they are really good about replacing things under warranty. Have you had any experience with their support?
yeah, like i said, they've sent me a total of four replacements for that P.O.S. revolution MX with the wheel mechanism that LOVES to commit suicide, all free of charge.
and no it wasn't too much of a hassle.

the funny thing?
i've yet to have any single bad experience or need to replace any of the microsoft manufactured input devices i've ever owned, i could probably find keyboards from the 80s that work perfectly if i looked.
i've gone through at least 2 logitech G series gaming keyboards, they last... on average i'll guess 6 months to a year at most.
my current microsoft gaming keyboard is going on four+ years and the keys are about as worn as you could expect and the paint on the key caps is almost non-existant in parts, but it still works perfectly in every last way.

this doesn't show it well, but the problem is mainly because it's a backlit set of keys and most of the key is clear material with a thin layer of black paint excluding the lettering so it shines through.

as you can see, that doesn't hold up well on my main gaming keys, the keyboard itself though is in perfect condition and if i really cared i could bring it to like new appearance with way too much time and a small brush and some black paint.

Old 1st February 2011, 02:05   #2846
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Despite having a very high-end box and monitor, I still use the keyboard I got on a Dell in 2001, and worse yet, the same mouse, which oddly enough is a logitech - see picture (Dell written on top of both mouse and kybd). AND, it's a ball mouse! Laser and optical mice don't work on the reflective (gloss spray-painted black steel) surface I use, and I don't really like mouse pads. That mouse works really well for me as a primary mouse, so I just haven't had any motivation to change it. Furthermore, it keeps a USB port free, not that it's really a concern. The ball mouse and keyboard have been good even through now, in their 10th year (bought in 2001) - still pretty good condition. The wireless stuff is kept at the couch/chair, and aren't used often.

Recently "bought":

Baxter State Parka from L.L. Bean (blue). It's their warmest coat. Free for me since I use their credit card and have earned reward points. I do have warmer coats, but they don't look good enough for work (e.g. one is blaze orange for hunting, snow shoveling/plowing, etc. other is for mountain climbing/snowmobiling and makes you look like a tool if not used for that). I'll take a pic when it arrives; it was just ordered. Picture from site:

Old 1st February 2011, 04:23   #2847
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swingdjted View Post
Despite having a very high-end box and monitor, I still use the keyboard I got on a Dell in 2001, and worse yet, the same mouse, which oddly enough is a logitech
well... that clinches it anyway, they try hard enough to innovate that the lifespan of the products is potentially on average much shorter.

Old 10th February 2011, 04:57   #2848
EfaustuS9
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to EfaustuS9 Send a message via AIM to EfaustuS9 Send a message via Yahoo to EfaustuS9
I usually by a new PC every six years or so. Well my last computer which was a laptop just died on me. It works out though as I purchased it in 05' thus I was going to purchase a new machine this year anyways. This is what I purchased...

HP Model: HPE-560Z
AMD phenom II x6 1075T 3.0Ghz
8GB DDR3 RAM
Radeon HD 6850 1 GB
1TB 7200 rpm HD
Windows 7 home premium 64-bit.

Old 12th February 2011, 23:06   #2849
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

It sounds like quite a box. Please if you have the ability, post pics! I love seeing new rigs.

Old 19th February 2011, 12:59   #2850
Atmo
The Freak
(Forum King)

Car audio bits.

Old 19th February 2011, 13:40   #2851
mike-db
Pancakes!
(Major Dude)

Send a message via ICQ to mike-db
Six of these:

One K&N air filter:

A FRAM oil filter:

New (to me) valve cover from a pick and pull, cost me $25.

New Valve cover

New battery

Grand total: $250 or so.

I love trucks...

SEX APPEAL UP IN HERE!
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Old 19th February 2011, 18:23   #2852
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

At least you have one where one can work on one's own. New ones seem too complicated and cramped. I've had very good luck with Fram and use them every time I do the oil changes myself. It does upset me that there are no standardized sizes for oil filters from brand to brand. The companies need to meet and decide on a standardized sizing system.

Here's the coat, same as I posted above, but that was web site, this is home. It isn't the kind of coat that you put on and talk a bit before walking out the door. It's so warm that if worn in temperatures above freezing, it's uncomfortably hot, even in the short term. But, when I first received it, I was in -20s weather (-40s with the extreme wind chill), and it seemed more appropriate. Taking walks in those temperatures isn't so bad with this if I keep my face and hands covered.

Last thing bought was a buffet at the Pizza Ranch with some friends, and a tank of gasoline for the Camry.

Old 20th February 2011, 08:40   #2853
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EfaustuS9 View Post
HP Model: HPE-560Z
AMD phenom II x6 1075T 3.0Ghz
8GB DDR3 RAM
Radeon HD 6850 1 GB
1TB 7200 rpm HD
Windows 7 home premium 64-bit.
I've been running a 1055T for a while. The 1075T has better power consumption than the 1055T and is a little faster. It makes for a really fast machine. You can overclock them a lot!

What I bought was this:

http://www.furhatworld.com/mouton-sh...ack-p-911.html

You would probably like this hat with the weather you get Ted. A friend of mine was sort of goofing around wearing his dads hat circa 1975. I remembered these old cossack ambassador hats were really popular in the day. I found one. I had to order from Canada.

It's nice out here in Oregon in February, aside from the piercing wind. I would have to say... this is the warmest hat I have ever owned. I like being outside. This hat is gonna save me a cold. It's real lambs wool and has fold down ear muffs.... Comfy...

Quote:
New ones seem too complicated and cramped.
The seem that way, but I remember a couple of vintage cars... like a Corvette my buddy had that you had to "cherry pick" the motor to get at the last spark plug. I've done a lot of work on pretty modern cars, and the thing is "buy the book". Haynes makes good books. Sometimes you look at something and just don't understand because it's nothing like you've ever seen before. That doesn't mean it's a tough or big job. Sometimes (and often) they are actually easier to work on than the old stuff.

http://www.haynes.com/catalogs

These guys do a complete tear down and rebuild of a car and write these manuals. It will at least tell you how much trouble DIY work is. I've bought one for all my cars for the last 30 years. It will tell you how much of a bitch things are in detail. Then you can decide whether you want a pro or not. Sometimes this stuff is just so simple... if you have the book.

As computerized as these things are today, they'll practically diagnose themselves in anything newer than 2000. It's sort of plug and play..... Pay a shop or buy a reader... or if you are really cheap, you can count square waves with a voltmeter.

Then you can decide if your time is worth $95+ an hour? I can turn a wrench, and most of this stuff isn't rocket science.... well it is.... but they already launched the rocket. I think some of the design consideration in cars lately has been dedicated to making them halfway reasonable to repair. Cost of repair numbers for cars are widely reported.

Last edited by rockouthippie; 20th February 2011 at 10:00.
Old 20th February 2011, 16:47   #2854
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

That is a good looking hat. I have a couple blaze orange hunting hats with fur on the inside and fold down flaps. That really is a good feature to have, and I love wearing stuff like that while doing outdoor work or of course hunting, but blaze orange doesn't quite look good on the way to work or walking through the city. Your suggested hat might be better for that. Generally I just use a skull cap and cover my face in a scarf when I'm on the way to to work and it's excessively cold, and if I'm out riding on the 4-wheeler I add ski goggles.Good hats do make a big difference though.

As for working on newer vehicles... [edit] That book you were referring to isn't available for my Camry.[/edit] If I wanted to work on my truck it wouldn't be so bad, but getting anywhere in the Camry engine is quite a mess. Where do you put the wrench? (this is what my engine would look like after removing the big plastic cover):

Old 20th February 2011, 21:22   #2855
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
Where do you put the wrench?
Yeah... it looks scary, but:

A. You probably won't have to take a wrench to it very often.
B. When you do, you have a computer to tell you the problem.
C. You probably find you have a lot less bolts to take out.
D. When you do have to take something apart, the alloys don't warp, so the bolt holes line back up. Unlike older cars.

I always thought these newer cars were more like working on a washing machine than a car. Even taking an engine out looks scary, but even that's simpler. Most of the electronic scariness goes through fairly organized harnesses, instead of having to chase a million wires to make sure you hooked them all back up.

It's different, not probably harder. If you have a Haynes book, it will tell you what you need to get things apart. If you do need a special tool, they usually have figured out a workaround with common tools.
Old 20th February 2011, 22:35   #2856
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Yes, that would be fine if it were a three-cylinder engine, but as hard as it is to believe, there's 3 more hidden somewhere behind the cigarette lighter... The front three are right there at least. Luckily, that kind of stuff only needs maintenance once every hundred thousand miles or so.

So far all I have needed other people to do is scheduled long-term fluid flushes (I don't have gear for that), timing&serpentine belt replacements (with water pump for good measure), plugs/wires, and air conditioner service (replace refrigerant). Most of that I had done at about 110,000 miles (I probably should have done it earlier). Before that and since then, I didn't do much of anything to the engine or transmission.

About the only thing I do myself anymore is oil, brakes, batteries, tire rotations, and washer fluid... and maybe wash/vacuum once in a blue moon. Everything else either never needs done, or I can't do it myself.

Old 21st February 2011, 04:41   #2857
MidnightViper88
Made In The USA
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88 Send a message via Yahoo to MidnightViper88
Ohhh...I've got a year's worth of purchases I could catch up on here, but I've got one purchase I really want to show off, and it's courtesy of my federal/state tax refunds...

That's right; The money I'm supposed to own that the government gave back to me was used on the purchase of a firearm...DPMS Panther Arms Mod A-150 carbine, chambered in the Remington 6.8mm SPC; That entire case, plus two 30-round boxes of 6.8, and I got it for a really great deal...Expensive fucking ammo, but given that it's practically a new cartridge, and especially since it's a much better round than the 5.56mm/.223cal (I just assumed it was a 5.56, til I actually read what was engraved on the lower receiver), it's more than worth it, and was much to my already delighted surprise...

Time to save up for a Trijicon ACOG sight, quad RIS barrel guard, and other nifty stuff for it...

"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
Old 22nd February 2011, 06:28   #2858
Atmo
The Freak
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightViper88 View Post
Time to save up for a Trijicon ACOG sight, quad RIS barrel guard, and other nifty stuff for it...
Like this?

Old 22nd February 2011, 06:30   #2859
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Wow. That's the first time I have actually laughed out loud in a while. Nice.

Old 22nd February 2011, 10:50   #2860
daisyau

Australian Cab Sauv and cured meat with rocket!
Old 22nd February 2011, 13:22   #2861
SSJ4 Gogitta
Followed by Gnomes
(Forum King)

Location: West Virginia Googolplex: 10^10¹°° FB:/SSJ4.DominusDeus DeviantArt: DominusDeus XboX GT: A Wild Meeseeks Playstation 4: DominusDeus
Send a message via AIM to SSJ4 Gogitta
$130 money order. 38 loan payments to go.

Woo.

Old 22nd February 2011, 15:45   #2862
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

Nice Photo Atmo. You a spy..er agent..or at war..or sumpin?
Old 23rd February 2011, 02:21   #2863
MidnightViper88
Made In The USA
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88 Send a message via Yahoo to MidnightViper88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmo View Post
Like this?

Yes, but with the greyhound hood ornament from a Ford Model 48 instead...

"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
Old 23rd February 2011, 02:44   #2864
gaekwad2
Foorum King

and a one-way ticket to Libya amirite

Old 23rd February 2011, 02:45   #2865
MidnightViper88
Made In The USA
(Forum King)

You got a big enough card to save as raw?

Old 23rd February 2011, 03:05   #2866
gaekwad2
Foorum King

16GB - big enough to hold over 1000 raw images

Memory cards have gotten really cheap.
Old 23rd February 2011, 03:40   #2867
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightViper88 View Post
.Expensive fucking ammo
Yeah. A buck a round. Not an economical target shooter. On the other hand, it is suitable for deer hunting where the .223 Rem bullet is really too light. That's 270 caliber. It packs a pretty good wallop. There are a couple hunting rifles using 6.8 SPC. You probably could find someone reloading those if you looked around. I guess you can kit AR-15 types to fire the new ammo too. I read this cartridge was designed by military guys, not egg heads. Soldiers who have been shooting people with it say they really like it.
Old 23rd February 2011, 05:27   #2868
MidnightViper88
Made In The USA
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockouthippie View Post
Yeah. A buck a round. Not an economical target shooter. On the other hand, it is suitable for deer hunting where the .223 Rem bullet is really too light. That's 270 caliber. It packs a pretty good wallop. There are a couple hunting rifles using 6.8 SPC. You probably could find someone reloading those if you looked around. I guess you can kit AR-15 types to fire the new ammo too. I read this cartridge was designed by military guys, not egg heads. Soldiers who have been shooting people with it say they really like it.
$40 for a box of 30 for 6.8 SPC...

Only thing is, I don't hunt...I'm looking around Louisville for a good indoor shooting range to take it to, and at best, it's more of a functioning ornament that's a nice show-off but still is a deadly serious tool in a reserve situation...

After all, why collect a rifle and not get bullets? Kinda like buying a camera without a memory card, DVDs without a DVD player, or having marijuana without papers...The last one is just a guess, though...

I also have my dad's old Marlin Glenfield Model 60 to shoot for shits and giggles; You can't get any more of an economical shooter than something chambered in .22 LR...

Old 23rd February 2011, 06:13   #2869
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Heh, that's my fun gun; a 10-22 (takes .22LR) you can shoot all day for next to no cost (the bullets come in buckets), and your ears and shoulder don't notice.

Your $40 would get you 600-700 bullets, although it's not really comparable in power obviously. 270s are common rounds for high-powered deer rifles. .22s are common for small game and/or target shooting.

Old 23rd February 2011, 17:17   #2870
MidnightViper88
Made In The USA
(Forum King)

I could have gotten an AR-15 chambered in 5.56/.223, and I could have saved myself some money with something with a little less fluff with more economical value, and I could have gotten more bullets for my money with something a little more common, but you know what? Screw it...If I had listened to my logic instead of my feelings, I would've left with a rifle I wouldn't have been nearly excited about; Sometimes, you have to do things on impulse or else the after-thoughts will come off as sub-par... If anything, it will be a good bragging point...

When I noted the "6.8" engraving on the lower receiver, I asked them if it really was chambered in 6.8, and they were like "I'm sorry, I'll show you another rifle", and I was like "No, I want it!"

My box of ammo was Barrett brand, so that may have had something to do with the price...

But like I said, I have my Model 60 if I want to have some plinking fun...My dad also has a lever-action Marlin .30-30, and he also bought a .22 LR Sig Sauer Mosquito pistol the same place and day I bought my A-150...I've got options...Maybe even next year, I'll get another AR-15 rifle chambered in 5.56/.223? Maybe I'll get a pistol instead? There were some attractive 1911 .45 ACPs in there too...

Old 24th February 2011, 00:58   #2871
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by swingdjted View Post
Heh, that's my fun gun; a 10-22 (takes .22LR) you can shoot all day for next to no cost (the bullets come in buckets), and your ears and shoulder don't notice.
I usually use Stingers. First it's a more effective bullet. Second, it leaves a whole lot less shit in the gun to clean out. You also don't get black hands from handling the lead. You can get a good group out of Stingers at probably up to 125 yards. Another decent bullet is the Rem "Yellow Jacket". If you shoot a prairie dog with one, they basically explode. I'd at least use mini-mags. You aren't shooting any of that "Bucket o' bullets" stuff out my guns. They aren't accurate, and they are too dirty.

If you have a .22 pistol, the minimum round you should use is a Stinger. The muzzle velocity of "bucket" 22 shells out of a pistol.... You might as well be shooting spit wads. If you buy Stingers in bulk, they are about 12 cents.
Old 24th February 2011, 03:42   #2872
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

When it warms up perhaps I should put a youtube up and show the accuracy of the cheap bucket bullets - they're pretty impressive if you shoot single-shot at a time, and a reasonably tight pattern when semi and fully auto. As for velocity, I don't really know how to home-test that.

When it comes to "dirty" and "clean" I usually wear gloves loading any clip, whether it be the good stuff or bad (lead makes me nervous). I have to clean the gun whether I use good stuff or bad too, just a habit my dad forced on me when I was younger. I don't have a .22 pistol, just a .38, which probably hasn't been shot in quite a few years. I don't really have a "collection" of firearms, just hunting basics - 30-06, 10-22, 12-gauge, and the .38. Come to think of it, I don't know if any of them have been fired since before 2010. I didn't hunt this year or last. Anyone want to buy some firearms?

Old 24th February 2011, 04:11   #2873
mike-db
Pancakes!
(Major Dude)

Six packs of Next Blue International Regular, $45. Woopie!

SEX APPEAL UP IN HERE!
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Old 24th February 2011, 21:25   #2874
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

Good time to write that document to your dad. *snicker*
Old 24th February 2011, 21:42   #2875
mike-db
Pancakes!
(Major Dude)

Haha thanks for the laugh!

SEX APPEAL UP IN HERE!
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Old 24th February 2011, 22:22   #2876
gaekwad2
Foorum King

(not the Zuikos)
Old 24th February 2011, 22:37   #2877
mike-db
Pancakes!
(Major Dude)

You took a picture of a camera? Nice!

SEX APPEAL UP IN HERE!
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Old 24th February 2011, 22:47   #2878
gaekwad2
Foorum King

Yeah, sorry it's no gun.
Old 25th February 2011, 00:19   #2879
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
have to clean the gun whether I use good stuff or bad too
Guns always should be cleaned before you put them away, but cleaning after Stingers, or to some extent mini-mags is .... shoot it with some spray solvent, run a brush through a couple times..... Wipe it off. Dirty ammo.... way more trouble... Start with getting the caked powder and lead out of the reciever. That and cheap .22 shells will usually make the gun start jamming after a couple hundred rounds.

Quote:
I should put a youtube up and show the accuracy of the cheap bucket bullets
I was shooting "bucket" 22 shells before you were born. That's why I good ammo now. Up to about 75 yards, it isn't bad. Add 50 yards with hyper-velocity ammo. In a .22 pistol, it completely changes the character of the weapon. Fire a bucket bullet out of a pistol and then fire a Stinger. Just the "Bang" will tell you the difference. Your .22 pistol now sounds like a gun. The terminal performance of Stingers is very good too. In a revolver, use the Yellow Jackets.

As far as accuracy goes. Using consistent ammo like Stingers or Yellow Jackets, you should be able to put a .22 on a bench rest or clamped and shoot a group no bigger than a nickel at 50 yards. You won't do that with bucket bullets.

Last edited by rockouthippie; 25th February 2011 at 02:18.
Old 25th February 2011, 00:45   #2880
mike-db
Pancakes!
(Major Dude)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaekwad2 View Post
Yeah, sorry it's no gun.
Guns are over rated, shoot em with photos.

SEX APPEAL UP IN HERE!
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Closed Thread
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions