Old 22nd May 2014, 00:46   #1
Dumbunny

drop in volume

Winamp' volume has dropped considerably. I have the volume slider at 100% . Lately I have had to set my speaker volume at 100% as well, and the resulting volume is still low and muffled. It's not a problem with the computer, as Windows Media plays loud and clear with speaker volume set at 60%.
Dumbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2014, 02:28   #2
ujay
Forum King

See if this thread helps :

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=331437

UJ
ujay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2014, 15:59   #3
Dumbunny

Drop in volume

Thanks Ujay. It works fine now.
Dumbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2014, 16:22   #4
DrO

wonder what caused the level to be dropped since we [Winamp] don't intentionally do it unless using Waveout (out_wave.dll) as the output plug-in (which is only like that as a side-effect of how that works vs the newer audio system on Vista and more recent).

as i could add something that will force the Winamp per-session level to 100% if using the DirectSound (out_ds.dll) though i can see that possibly causing other issues if someone has purposefully lowered the per-session level from 100%. it wouldn't be needed for Waveout since that will already adjust the level again due to how that works since the Directsound output controls the volume level in a different manner.

[note: this is mainly ramblings on my part so i've something to track back at a later date]
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2014, 20:24   #5
ujay
Forum King

Hi daz,

I've always got the impression the level could be dropped if the input plugin was bypassing Winamp's output plugin, e.g. in_tara takes full control of both input and output so Winamp itself is blind during this period. Maybe this is also the case with in_midi.
ujay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2014, 20:34   #6
DrO

that could do it as well depending on the mode it is using. generally anything doing a Win3.x/Win9x style audio handling (like Waveout does) will typically control the volume directly instead of the fake volume control like DirectSound does.
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support