Old 17th March 2019, 17:48   #1
Mcin

Winamp does not read RIFF ID3v2 tags in.wav files

Hi, I recently got quite a lot of files (~230) in .wav format. I tagged them all in MP3tag, adding track numbers, album, title, year and cover. For most of the files, Winamp fails to read tag correctly. for most of the songs, I have only tittle and artist read, for 5 out of all only title and album with no artist.
Tag certainly is there, as I checked in VLC and all is read correctly. even Windows explorer show proper title, artist and album tags!
I thought maybe to convert it all to FLAC to make it match rest of my collection, but fre:ac (the program I use for conversion) fails to read those tags as well.

Please help me, one, I don't want to repeat all the tagging clickery, two, I'm just curious. I tried to find list of supported Winamp file formats and tag formats, but obviously built-in help sends me to void.

Is still use 5.666 and didn't try to run 5.8 beta yet. ( sample file removed by a Moderator)
Mcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2019, 18:06   #2
musicf8
Major Dude

Try converting them to flac via winamp, and then add tags that way. I believe those tags would save in vorbis comments which winamp reads. I could by wrong but I don't believe winamp tries to read tags from wav files.

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡ʎɯouoıpɐɹ

Current status of Winamp: (Winamp 5.8) is not an ongoing project get wacup

5.8 beta issue quick fix - Install 5.666 (there's no further 5.8 releases)
musicf8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2019, 01:36   #3
thinktink
Forum King

Send a message via Skype™ to thinktink
As I've worked with RIFF wav data chunk headers before I know that tagging support for WAV files is sketchy. They are very limited in size and not easy to update or read. It's not surprising you're having such difficulties. As suggested, convert all the files to another format (like FLAC) and edit the tags in the FLAC formatted files.
thinktink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2019, 05:48   #4
musicf8
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by webbreed View Post
I want to know that really cat can eat cheese? or not and is it healthy for them?
Well, this is a different kind of spammer, but... YAY KITTEHS!

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡ʎɯouoıpɐɹ

Current status of Winamp: (Winamp 5.8) is not an ongoing project get wacup

5.8 beta issue quick fix - Install 5.666 (there's no further 5.8 releases)
musicf8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2019, 00:32   #5
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
I think there is some confusion in this thread...

First of all, any and all id3 tags in a wav file are always, ALWAYS, a hack, and as far as I know, not supported by mp3tag or most apps. It's a bad idea to hack id3 tags into wav files, and imo, FLAC files, or other formats which don't need or don't natively support id3.

Secondly, wav files, contrary to conventional wisdom, do support some tagging natively, but it's very very limited and most apps don't support that either. Mp3tag might, and Audacity does. I believe it is done in the RIFF header.

Regardless, no one needs wav files, unless they are actively doing audio editing. Otherwise they should use either FLAC or ALAC which saves space and can be properly fully tagged and are well supported by many apps.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support