Old 22nd May 2001, 21:08   #1
John M
Puts the Cuss in General Discussions
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to John M
i was think of buying a guitar, and had a question. What is a humbucker pickup?

ps if u wanna see the guitars, goto http://www.mandalaymusic.com . theye the double cutaway johnson electrics

missyob made me post this.
John M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2001, 06:04   #2
Jayn
Honorary Vixen
(Forum Queen)

Send a message via ICQ to Jayn Send a message via AIM to Jayn
A humbucker pickup is a double coil pickup which gives a more powerful sound and less background noise than a single coil pickup.

Jayn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2001, 08:23   #3
fwgx
Rudolf the Red.
(Forum King)

yeah a humbucker is 'meatier' (to use a technical term) and a single coil is 'twangier' (again a technical term). Jimi Page, Manics, Terrorvision, Gary Moore, most British rock bands and American use humbuckers. single coil users are Hendrix, Cobain, Yngwie Malstream, Kula Shaker guy.

But what you could get as a bit of a custom add on is a trembucker (or Motherbucker as i've heard them called) like a humbucker but with three coils for extra power. I think the guy from spinal tap had one and that guy who has 9 separate pickups on his guitar.

Generally hum buckers come on Gibson/Epiphone guitars and single coils come on Fenders, although some Fenders do have a bridge humbucker. I don't think you can beat the sound of a nice bridge humbucker squeeling when playing a nice solo through lots of distortion!!!

Give me a Les Paul anyday. There's a really nice 7 string LP in a music shop round here black it is, must try it someday.

try here:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/prodinfo.html

.: fwgx.co.uk.:.My art:.

"We think science is interesting and if you disagree, you can fuck off."
fwgx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2001, 12:57   #4
John M
(Forum King)

thanks guys (err, guy and gal ) the guitar i was thinking about is a strat knockoff with either 3 singles or 2 singles and a humbucker.

Old 23rd May 2001, 14:59   #5
piesupreme
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to piesupreme Send a message via AIM to piesupreme Send a message via Yahoo to piesupreme
i got 4 singles on mine. doesn't have the same effect than 2 humbuckers though. but i like it, i'm gonna get a better guitar someday, when i can afford it

use the search, that's what it's there for.
Jungle Ravers never die, all we do is multiply
piesupreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2001, 17:06   #6
endless17

i have an old les paul somewhere, a relic from a once musically talented uncle. i hardly use it since i've gotten my accoustic - you can never go wrong with a yamaha accoustic - great full sound and a decent price.

----
feed me.
endless17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2001, 22:04   #7
John M
(Forum King)

thanx watadoo. i wanted to get a 70's, sorta classic rock sounding guitar just to play myself, but i figger i can fuck it up bad enough with a distort pedal if need be

heres what i was lookin at:

The Johnson JS-800 Series electric guitars are designed to reproduce the classic sounds of the 1960's. A thicker body is used to create that beefy tone associated with the glory days of the electric guitar. These guitars have more features and are better made than any other guitar even close to it's price. It features a solid alder double-cutaway body, and a solid-maple neck with a rosewood stripe to give it a classy look. Computer cut nickel/silver frets are well-dressed for ultimate fell and playability. The high-quality electronics include high-gain pickups for a better tone, and sealed controls that won't collect dust. The JS-800 has 3 single-coil pickups, controlled with a 5-way pickup selector switch. This configuration gives this guitar a huge range of tonal possibilities. The bridge is modeled after vintage fulcrum bridges and have 6 adjustable saddles. We're confident you'll love the feel and sound of this guitar. The JS-800STG has a beautiful translucent green finish. Includes whammy bar.

Features:

Solid Alder Body
One-Piece Maple Neck
Rosewood Neck Stripe
Adjustable Truss Rod
Rosewood Fretboard
Fulcrum Bridge
3 Single Coil Pickups
2 Tone & 1 Volume Control
5-Way Pickup Selector
Translucent Green Finish
2-Year Warranty
Amazing Value

Special Offer!
Each Johnson JS-800C elecrtic guitar comes with a FREE Johnson CG-090E carrying case, FREE amp cable, and a FREE guitar strap! A $39 value at no extra cost!

Old 23rd May 2001, 23:53   #8
John M
(Forum King)

so do you think that this would be a good start off point for playing guitar? ps. its $100, so its not like i'm pissing away a good sum of money =)

Old 24th May 2001, 02:57   #9
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

I think you've got yourself a helluva deal there, John!
ElChevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2004, 15:39   #10
fwgx
Rudolf the Red.
(Forum King)

How's the playing going John? I've recently started playing a bit after not playing for about 2 years. I'm going through the whole sore fingers thing again. Thankfully, I'm not a total beginner, I just need to reconnect some of these broken neron connections and build up some muscle memory again.

.: fwgx.co.uk.:.My art:.

"We think science is interesting and if you disagree, you can fuck off."
fwgx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2004, 21:04   #11
MidnightViper88
Made In The USA
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88 Send a message via Yahoo to MidnightViper88
Wow...Old thread...Probably doesn't matter anymore , but to those people reading that still want reference...

A humbucker get's it's thick tone because it's magnet is laid flat and and is wide...

Single-coil on the other hand have a thinner tone because the magnets are thinnly cylindrical and are set upright to each string...

I'm originally a bass player, but I'm slowly leaning towards 6-stringers as well...

"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
MidnightViper88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2004, 23:58   #12
xzxzzx
Forum King

MidnightViper88, you're forgetting the primary purpose for a humbucker (perhaps not anymore, but originally) - that is to get rid, or reduce, hum. Hence the name.

[edit]See http://www.excellentleads.com/Splitt...humbucker.html [/edit]

Freedom of speech is the basic freedom of humanity. When you've lost that, you've lost everything.
1\/\/4y 34|<$p4y 1gp4y 33714y, 0d4y 0uy4y? | Roses are #FF0000; Violets are #0000FF; chown -R ${YOU} ~/base
The DMCA. It really is that bad. : Count for your life.
xzxzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2004, 03:19   #13
s0be
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to s0be Send a message via AIM to s0be Send a message via Yahoo to s0be
silghtly off the normal track...

I saw a custom done guitar that had 2 humbuckers, and 2 single coils, each with it's own volume, on/off switch, and a polarity inverter per pickup. You want to hear some funk? check out a pair of humbuckers with inverted polarity! you need to turn the volume down on one a tonne, but it's crazy.

s0be

And On that day, the Lords of the land said unto their Master Architect, "The temple you have made to the gods of Wasabi and Maki has brought us no great prosperity" and they sent out him into the lands.

As he traveled to a far off land, he found he wasn't traveling alone, but that he had gained companions, and when they found their new land, they started work on a new temple, one that would be OPEN to all who wanted to worship.

from The Book of Wasabi C 12 Vs 09 (pg 2003)
s0be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2004, 03:36   #14
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to k_rock923
xzxzzx, we all know that the real purpose of the humbucker was to have a fat strat like Eddie Van Halen. I think that the humbuckers sometimes are overkill and a loud single coil is better.

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
k_rock923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2004, 05:59   #15
shakey_snake
Forum Domo

John M
Get a guitar that has a coil tap. A tap switches the circut in a humbucker to run in either parralel(sp) or sequentually thus giving you the option of the humbucker or single coil at the click of a nob.

elevatorladyelevatorladyelevatorladyelevatorladyelevatorladylevitateme
shakey_snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2004, 06:02   #16
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to k_rock923
those are cool. I actually like using it to get a single coil for the rear pickup without having to remove my humbucker. I never knew it was called a tap though. I'm not going to start a war by saying what I first thought of when I saw the word "tap".

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
k_rock923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions