Old 3rd July 2006, 17:47   #201
sgtfuzzbubble011

Just got my camera and gear yesterday when I was in Chattanooga again. Haven't had a whole lot of time to play with it yet, but this thing kicks ass. I'm really glad I got the battery grip for it, too. It adds a lot of stability to the whole camera, and it's easy to find rechargable AA batteries for it. The Image Stabalizer in this lens is awesome, too. I'll get pictures a little bit later.

Also, I want to say thanks to everyone that's helped me pick all of this gear out. I really appreciate it.
sgtfuzzbubble011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2006, 05:05   #202
STanger

Send a message via AIM to STanger Send a message via Yahoo to STanger
yo sarge! glad to hear that u like the new camera gear!
STanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2006, 00:51   #203
sgtfuzzbubble011

I'm thinking about getting another 2GB card for it just like the one I've already got, as well. Just this past weekend, when I got the camera, I put a GB of pictures on the card just playing around with it. So, if I ever decide to take it out and do some serious shooting, I'm going to need more space. I'm thinking about getting an internal card reader for my computer, too. It's quite a pain to hook the camera up with the USB cable every time I want to transfer pictures, and it's slow as hell anyways. I was looking at these three readers. Got any other suggestions maybe? I always appreciate suggestions.

I also need to get a nice carry case for my tripod. I'd like to find one with some padding (doesn't have to be a lot, but at least some), is primarily black in color, and doesn't cost an arm and a leg.
Old 6th July 2006, 02:16   #204
dlichterman
Forum King

If you are going to have to open your computer to put something internal in, get something like this:
http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=SP-BA-N

I love it!!!

Software is like sex: It's better when it's free.-*-If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0-*-Guess the band from pics game
dlichterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2006, 03:47   #205
sgtfuzzbubble011

I wish I could, but all four of my 5.25" bays are being used. The only free bay I have left is one 3.5" bay.
Old 6th July 2006, 03:50   #206
dlichterman
Forum King

Well that just sucks for you. Buy a new case.

Software is like sex: It's better when it's free.-*-If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0-*-Guess the band from pics game
Old 6th July 2006, 03:57   #207
sgtfuzzbubble011

I've already put well over $2,000 into just the tower alone. That doesn't include the dual LCD monitors. I'm not going to get another case just to install a card reader. :P
Old 7th July 2006, 23:28   #208
Razzinno
Piffle Producer

I've read this thread since its inception with only a passing interest. After all, I had two digital and two 35mm cameras already. That was until Wedneday when someone(s) stole my latest digital camera, wallet, and other items from my truck (those back windows are not secure!) Now I'm looking at Sarge's list with keen interest:
The main thing I'm balking at is the lens. Right now it just sets the total too high for comfort. Hopefully next week though I'll order the camera and a couple other items.

I'm glad Sarge did all the homework for me.
Razzinno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2006, 23:43   #209
SSJ4 Gogitta
Followed by Gnomes
(Forum King)

Location: West Virginia Googolplex: 10^10¹°° FB:/SSJ4.DominusDeus DeviantArt: DominusDeus XboX GT: A Wild Meeseeks Playstation 4: DominusDeus
Send a message via AIM to SSJ4 Gogitta
Quote:
Originally posted by sgtfuzzbubble99
I've already put well over $2,000 into just the tower alone. That doesn't include the dual LCD monitors. I'm not going to get another case just to install a card reader. :P
Case + Dremel = case mod

SSJ4 Gogitta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2006, 00:18   #210
sgtfuzzbubble011

@ razzinno:
Sorry to hear about your camera and wallet. If that lens is too much, this one is a good alternative. It's focal length range isn't quite as wide, but it still has the long top end zoom length. It doesn't have Image Stabalization, but it does have the USM autofocus drive system. It's also got a rear-mounted focusing ring, so the lens doesn't rotate at the front when focused. And since it's EF-Mount, it's compatible with all of Canon's dSLR cameras, including the smaller-framed cameras like the Rebel XT and 30D. So, if you decide to get a full-frame dSLR in the future, this lens will be compatible. Another lens you might want to consider in this focal length category is this one. It doesn't have the rear focusing ring like the other, but it has a wider focal length range (same as the lens I bought). It's also got USM, which is good. Both of these lenses should be 1/2 to 2/3 the price of mine, depending on where you get them.

@ SSJ4:
Yes, but I like this case too much to ruin it with my lackluster skills. :P And after doing some more math, talking a bit with techsupp0rt on IRC, and doing a couple benchmark tests, I've come to the conclusion that it won't be any faster to put the card in a card reader. The only advantage to get a card reader at this point would be to cut back on the hassle of using a USB cable to connect the camera. :\
Old 8th July 2006, 00:22   #211
SSJ4 Gogitta
Followed by Gnomes
(Forum King)

Location: West Virginia Googolplex: 10^10¹°° FB:/SSJ4.DominusDeus DeviantArt: DominusDeus XboX GT: A Wild Meeseeks Playstation 4: DominusDeus
That's the reason I got a card reader for my desktop. Though since I've given my old camera to my mom, both of my new(er) cameras use SD cards, and my laptop has a built in SD reader on the front of it.

Old 8th July 2006, 00:31   #212
sgtfuzzbubble011

When I picked out all the parts for this computer, I specifically made sure that this motherboard was supposed to support Hi-Speed USB. It was advertised as that, but when I got it, I found out that it only supports Full-Speed. Go figure.
Old 8th July 2006, 00:31   #213
gaekwad2
Foorum King

Quote:
Originally posted by razzinno
I've read this thread since its inception with only a passing interest. After all, I had two digital and two 35mm cameras already. That was until Wedneday when someone(s) stole my latest digital camera, wallet, and other items from my truck (those back windows are not secure!) Now I'm looking at Sarge's list with keen interest:

The main thing I'm balking at is the lens. Right now it just sets the total too high for comfort.
If you need IS/antishake and can wait a while, both the Sony Alpha and the Pentax K100D with comparable lenses should be cheaper (the Sony with 18-70 and 70-300 on preorder is already down to €1018 over here, once it actually hits the stores the price should drop further).
gaekwad2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2006, 01:39   #214
Razzinno
Piffle Producer

Thanks Sarge and gaek. Those are definitely viable alternatives. I'm checking out the specs on everything now.

Till then, I guess I'll use my old Canon Rebel. It'll outperform the other digital (bought in 99). I've been using digitals so long, I probably won't last the month going back to using film. Right now I just grateful to have other cameras to use.
Razzinno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2006, 06:29   #215
sgtfuzzbubble011

Hope you find what you're looking for.
Old 9th July 2006, 18:51   #216
sgtfuzzbubble011

I got fed up with connecting the camera using the USB cable. Every time I connect my Rebel XT to the front USB ports on my computer, it would just hang and not work. I'd have to unplug it and plug it back in, then an icon would show up in the system tray. I'd have to click the icon to bring up an error message stating something along the lines of "The connected Hi-Speed USB device will function at reduced speeds when it is connected to a USB Full-Speed port. Blah blah blah." Then it would show up in Windows Explorer as a drive so that I could get the pictures... But, I couldn't cut and paste them to the hard drive. I had to copy them. I can't figure out why it won't let me cut and paste. None of the images are protected.

Anyways, I'm already sick and tired of this crap, so I went ahead and ordered an internal card reader. And while I was at it, I also ordered another CF card.

Atech PR0-28U 28-in-1 External / Internal Card Reader
Sandisk 2.0 GB Ultra II CompactFlash Card

Ordered both from Newegg for less than the MSRP on the card alone. That'll give me 4GB worth of space to take pictures with. Woot.
Old 10th July 2006, 04:25   #217
SSJ4 Gogitta
Followed by Gnomes
(Forum King)

Should be a nice card. I use a Sandisk Ultra II 1.0 GB SD card for my cameras.

Old 10th July 2006, 04:32   #218
dlichterman
Forum King

^That the one with the USB built in?

Old 10th July 2006, 04:46   #219
SSJ4 Gogitta
Followed by Gnomes
(Forum King)

No, the USB one would be this one

Old 10th July 2006, 06:36   #220
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to swingdjted Send a message via Yahoo to swingdjted
Quote:
I couldn't cut and paste them to the hard drive. I had to copy them. I can't figure out why it won't let me cut and paste.
I fucking HATE that about my Canon camera. The only way it'll let me delete the camera's pics from the computer is if I use the included "Zoom Browser" software that came with the camera. I hate that software, because it loads the entire hard drive's library of pics every time you plug in the camera, takes time to load, and wastes resources. There's not a single feature in that software that isn't found on a better common photo browsing/editing program, and the camera doesn't show up as a drive on "My Computer" unless the bundled software is installed.

Quote:
Ordered both from Newegg for less than the MSRP on the card alone.
Nice work shopping.

Don't forget to live before you die.
swingdjted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2006, 23:17   #221
sgtfuzzbubble011

Quote:
Should be a nice card. I use a Sandisk Ultra II 1.0 GB SD card for my cameras.
I'm pretty happy with the one I've got already. It's got enough speed to let me shoot 25+ continuous frames before it starts with the buffer lag. Having two of these cards will let me take a buttload of pictures before I have to transfer them to my computer.

Quote:
I fucking HATE that about my Canon camera. The only way it'll let me delete the camera's pics from the computer is if I use the included "Zoom Browser" software that came with the camera. I hate that software, because it loads the entire hard drive's library of pics every time you plug in the camera, takes time to load, and wastes resources. There's not a single feature in that software that isn't found on a better common photo browsing/editing program, and the camera doesn't show up as a drive on "My Computer" unless the bundled software is installed.
Yeah, that's crap. My Fuji point-and-shoot camera acts just like a removable drive when I connect it to the computer with the USB cable. I can do whatever I want with it. I don't understand why Canon is different. Luckily though, I didn't have to install the software to connect it. I just get an error message each time I do stating something like "The connected Hi-Speed USB device will only work at reduced speeds when connected to Full-Speed USB ports blah blah blah." (Of course, that's because of my motherboard.) I just close that and then the camera will EVENTUALLY show up in Windows Explorer as a drive... but the only menu command I can use is 'copy' when I right-click the picture files. I'm hoping that card reader is as good as all of the reviews on Newegg tout it to be.
Old 11th July 2006, 05:15   #222
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to swingdjted Send a message via Yahoo to swingdjted
I really should look into that too, since I still have an available 5.25" bay to mess with.

And yes, when I bring home digital cameras from work (Sony CyberShot models), just like you said, it pops up as a new drive and is easily used for CUT and paste.

Don't forget to live before you die.
swingdjted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2006, 03:22   #223
sgtfuzzbubble011

Aye.

I just went through the menu settings on this camera, and I found out that I had it set up to connect directly to a printer instead of to a computer. Strangely enough, when I set it to use a normal PC connection, it wouldn't let me do anything at all with it, not even copy and paste the images. Go figure.

Also, I still haven't been able to wear out the batteries in this battery grip. I must've taken a couple thousand caputures with it already, AF and IS on continuously, AF assist flash and regular flash quite a bit as well, and these batteries are still going strong. I've had the camera for a couple weeks now, and I haven't had to charge the batteries once yet.
Old 14th July 2006, 03:36   #224
! ! ! Myspace !

what is good easy and good camera ? where?
! ! ! Myspace ! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2006, 04:06   #225
mikm
Major Dude

Hell. Go to. Now