Old 1st December 2010, 03:14   #1
cedbled

watch this get deleted......

While it's up:

WHERE THE FUCK IS EVERYONE ELSE?!?!?!?!
Android market says more than 250k users have downloaded this shovelware, and I cant believe no one else is tripping over here on the official forums.....

Question 1 :
What the FUCK is goin on with the GOT DAMN Shoutcast crap?
My device runs Froyo natively.

Earlier today, I could see all channels, but got an error trying to connect

Now, I can't pull any channel lists "error parsing"

(my other post has the exact message; it's on the front page BEING IGNORED, so im NOT TYPING IT AGAIN)

Question 2:
Where the FUCK is the support and or supported devices list for this mess?

Question 3:
Why is there no more llama on download of 0.9.2?

I am pissed cause with all these people complaining about the same crap on the market comment section, there's no information here, searching for my errors on Google turns up nothing, and NO ONE seems to be talking about this anywhere on the netz.

Oh, and BTW I know what Beta means; it means your crap should now work better than Alpha did.....
cedbled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2010, 03:45   #2
catalysto

U mad bro??
catalysto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2010, 04:47   #3
cedbled

Quote:
Originally Posted by catalysto View Post
U mad bro??
so, this is what i gotta do to get a response up in this bitch!!!!
this forum is as worthless as the fukkin app
Old 1st December 2010, 05:33   #4
tekkitan

hey kiddo, see that string next to the name of the app in the Android market, "Beta"?

IT IS NOT STABLE, IT IS IN BETA TESTING. THINGS DON'T WORK. DEAL WITH IT. DON'T LIKE IT? GO DOWNLOAD ANOTHER MUSIC APP AND DIE.
tekkitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2010, 09:32   #5
XebozZ

beta? honestly, this feels more like alpha.
in a beta version i expect at least the most basic things to work properly (e.g. transfer music to my device?? create SIMPLE playlists???)
i cant believe winamp is still totally messing up the root directory of my sd card.

i really want to like winamp for android, but its been virtually non functioning for weeks now and i am starting to get pretty pissed too.

please stop adding crap and fix the existing problems!!!!!
XebozZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2010, 10:32   #6
bemymonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekkitan View Post
hey kiddo, see that string next to the name of the app in the Android market, "Beta"?

IT IS NOT STABLE, IT IS IN BETA TESTING. THINGS DON'T WORK. DEAL WITH IT. DON'T LIKE IT? GO DOWNLOAD ANOTHER MUSIC APP AND DIE.
Beta apps work, and may have a few minor bugs. This does not work, and has many major (i.e. functionality-breaking) bugs. It isn't even close to alpha status, unfortunately, and should never have been released in this state. I'm a die-hard Winamp fan, and have converted many a WMP/iTunes user, but this is really too much...

Weeeeeeeeeeee
bemymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2010, 13:16   #7
Nikster

Well unless I'm dumb (new to Android) I can't figure how to even kick any shoutcast related stuff into action for it to fail (this was downloading http://www.winamp.com/android last night)

It does seem at sorts for a beta

EDIT: just seen the other thread mentioning there's a button missing for this functionality, well that would have saved me some time working out wtf it was hidden..
Nikster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2010, 13:35   #8
dragonGOD

I'm having the same problems. Yesterday I could view a list of Shoutcast servers, but none would successfully play, today the list of servers won't even load.
dragonGOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2010, 15:05   #9
marvin_rock

This is a radical departure from your other post. I'm surprised that a music app can make you so upset to shout obscenities all over the net. Life is short, use a different music app. You didn't pay for winamp, they don't owe you anything, try doubletwist for wireless syncing, and there are plenty of apps that stream music. Would it be nice if Winamp could do it all, and do it well, sure... but that's just not the case. Have some patience, let them fix thier issues, try winamp again in a few months.
marvin_rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2010, 15:29   #10
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Your thread is still here :-)

"Error parsing data"

I don't think the SHOUTcast dir was expecting such a heavy load.
SHOUTcast appears to be down as a result (or some of the internal/serverside API's are broken).
Our engineers are working hard to fix the problem.

We apologize for any inconvenience caused. Please bear with us.

[EDIT]

Yup, appears to be a server load/limit related issue. D'oh!
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2010, 17:34   #11
catalysto

Quote:
Originally Posted by XebozZ View Post
i am starting to get pretty pissed too.
Someone needs to relax. It's a music app. On your phone. Relax. Go volunteer for a food shelter, or adopt a starving kid from Ethiopia. Just.... relax.

Why are you people getting worked up over something so trivial?
Old 1st December 2010, 18:07   #12
Stupifier
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by catalysto View Post
Someone needs to relax. It's a music app. On your phone. Relax. Go volunteer for a food shelter, or adopt a starving kid from Ethiopia. Just.... relax.

Why are you people getting worked up over something so trivial?

I agree.....take a chill pill...wow. Great Apps are not made overnight. Be patient. Personally, I don't use Winamp Android right now....but I certainly am keeping my eye on it. Just be patient and watch.
Stupifier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2010, 19:01   #13
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

The SHOUTcast 'error parsing data' issue is now fixed :-)

Note, although the fix for that was serverside, there's still an updated WfA app available on the market
which fixes force close issues with Dell Streak & Samsung Galaxy tablet models.

And just as a reminder....

The SHOUTcast features for WfA require Android OS 2.2 (Froyo).
The button/features will not show/work on any older OS version
because said feature requires the newer Flash Player included with 2.2
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2010, 20:00   #14
cedbled

First of all, thanks mods for not deleting this...

Secondly, I love how had i not made this thread, i'd still be in a world of confusion about this issue, (i can tell cause of the exorbitant number of relevant posts on my other thread, hehe) had i not done this cussing...

Believe it or not, I really do appreciate the folks that came here and either expressed a common situation, or even tried to help.

The other folks that came on here wasting their time trying to tell me my other hobby alternatives, are simply the icing on top.

Thanks again; hopefully it's not months before we get a fix....Im still a fan
Old 2nd December 2010, 00:06   #15
catalysto

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedbled View Post
First of all, thanks mods for not deleting this...

Secondly, I love how had i not made this thread, i'd still be in a world of confusion about this issue, (i can tell cause of the exorbitant number of relevant posts on my other thread, hehe) had i not done this cussing...

Believe it or not, I really do appreciate the folks that came here and either expressed a common situation, or even tried to help.

The other folks that came on here wasting their time trying to tell me my other hobby alternatives, are simply the icing on top.

Thanks again; hopefully it's not months before we get a fix....Im still a fan
I was just trying to make the point that you DIDN'T need to be huffy and swearing like crazy. The devs here are quite responsive and understanding. Anyway, I'm glad everyone is happy now; Winamp for Android will only get better!
Old 2nd December 2010, 06:16   #16
ladams00

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedbled View Post
...up in this bitch!!!!...
ROFL, that made my day. Gives me hope and patience
ladams00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2010, 06:38   #17
tekkitan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bemymonkey View Post
Beta apps work, and may have a few minor bugs. This does not work, and has many major (i.e. functionality-breaking) bugs. It isn't even close to alpha status, unfortunately, and should never have been released in this state. I'm a die-hard Winamp fan, and have converted many a WMP/iTunes user, but this is really too much...
Quote:
Originally Posted by XebozZ View Post
beta? honestly, this feels more like alpha.
in a beta version i expect at least the most basic things to work properly (e.g. transfer music to my device?? create SIMPLE playlists???)
i cant believe winamp is still totally messing up the root directory of my sd card.

i really want to like winamp for android, but its been virtually non functioning for weeks now and i am starting to get pretty pissed too.

please stop adding crap and fix the existing problems!!!!!
Seeing as I can play my music, I would say that counts as WORKING. Just because a few of the features that you want to work, don't, does not mean that it doesn't work.

Again, if you don't like it, download another music player. No one will miss you, I promise.
Old 2nd December 2010, 07:31   #18
bemymonkey

Quote:
Seeing as I can play my music, I would say that counts as WORKING. Just because a few of the features that you want to work, don't, does not mean that it doesn't work.

Again, if you don't like it, download another music player. No one will miss you, I promise.
So when you get a new car, with a navigation system, the sports package, audio upgrades and so on, and then none of the extra crap works, but the car still drives, you're just going to be satisfied?

If I only wanted to play back music, I could stick with any of the other tens of players out there... But no, I want to see Winamp succeed on Android... and the current state of the app really isn't helping with that. The app has NOT been well received (check out any of the usual Android forums), and has quickly gotten a reputation for being buggy and broken.

I guess I'm just disappointed - after using Winamp on the desktop for all these years, I've come to expect a certain quality... not just another stock Android media player clone with some additional functionality.

So far, except for Shoutcast and the broken WiFi syncing, the Winamp app feels like it's just a fancy skin for the stock Android media player...

Weeeeeeeeeeee
Old 2nd December 2010, 09:55   #19
tekkitan

Quote:
So when you get a new car, with a navigation system, the sports package, audio upgrades and so on, and then none of the extra crap works, but the car still drives, you're just going to be satisfied?

If I only wanted to play back music, I could stick with any of the other tens of players out there... But no, I want to see Winamp succeed on Android... and the current state of the app really isn't helping with that. The app has NOT been well received (check out any of the usual Android forums), and has quickly gotten a reputation for being buggy and broken.

I guess I'm just disappointed - after using Winamp on the desktop for all these years, I've come to expect a certain quality... not just another stock Android media player clone with some additional functionality.

So far, except for Shoutcast and the broken WiFi syncing, the Winamp app feels like it's just a fancy skin for the stock Android media player...
Is the car in beta testing? NO. Did you BUY Winamp or did you download it for free? Give it up. Go find another media player. Quit whining about features that don't work in a beta build of software.

I have been a Winamp user since it's beta on the PC. In the beginning, all it did was play music. If you want it to be like it is on the PC after years of development, come back and get it in five years. MAYBE you will be satisfied then, but not sure about that since you don't seem to grasp the common sense of software development and testing.
Old 2nd December 2010, 10:03   #20
bemymonkey

Quote:
Is the car in beta testing? NO. Did you BUY Winamp or did you download it for free? Give it up. Go find another media player. Quit whining about features that don't work in a beta build of software.
Beta != Pre-alpha.

Are you sure you know what you're talking about?

And yes, I've paid for Winamp. Twice.

Quote:
I have been a Winamp user since it's beta on the PC. In the beginning, all it did was play music. If you want it to be like it is on the PC after years of development, come back and get it in five years. MAYBE you will be satisfied then, but not sure about that since you don't seem to grasp the common sense of software development and testing.
It's not about the app being perfect or feature-complete, but rather being released with features that work. If a feature doesn't work at least half the time (judging by the feedback on this forum and others, I'd say 50% is very optimistic), don't put it in a public beta.

Weeeeeeeeeeee
Old 2nd December 2010, 10:20   #21
tekkitan

Quote:
Beta != Pre-alpha.

Are you sure you know what you're talking about?

And yes, I've paid for Winamp. Twice.

It's not about the app being perfect or feature-complete, but rather being released with features that work. If a feature doesn't work at least half the time (judging by the feedback on this forum and others, I'd say 50% is very optimistic), don't put it in a public beta.
It is not pre-alpha, it is beta. It does it's main job (playing music) with no problem. Again, just because the features you want don't work yet, does not make it alpha.

Did you pay for Winamp on ANDROID? Are you really this smart? Keep replying and make yourself look more and more ridiculous.

You seem to not get the concept of beta, still. For some reason, you have this idiotic thought in your head that says because you can download it, all features should work. A BETA IS NOT A RELEASE. IT IS PRE-RELEASE.
Old 2nd December 2010, 10:24   #22
bemymonkey

Quote:
You seem to not get the concept of beta, still. For some reason, you have this idiotic thought in your head that says because you can download it, all features should work. A BETA IS NOT A RELEASE. IT IS PRE-RELEASE.
Interesting - why was the app released to tens of thousands of users via the Android Market then? You can argue semantics all you want, but right now, people are stumbling across Winamp on Android, installing it, noticing that it doesn't do what it's supposed to according to the description, and uninstalling again, remembering that bad Winamp experience for all time.

Once again - if you release something to the world, make sure it works (regardless of what you label it as). Anything else is just damaging to your brand...

Weeeeeeeeeeee
Old 2nd December 2010, 10:32   #23
DrO

will everyone take a chill pill please

different people are experiencing / expecting different things from the app which irrespective of it maybe being a tarted up base android media player, is going to be a work in progress no matter what to get it to something which will work in all cases. every single app will have issues and with the massive fragmentation known as the Android ecosystem then there are going to be issues when using it on different apps.

hopefully posts are being noted and bugs will be fixed but bear in mind that the app now pulls resources from the main player so there is a balancing act going on with getting things implemented / fixed / etc.

finally, it does work form what i understand (i don't have an android device and neither do i have the interest / need to have one) though there are always going to be issues and those will hopefully be worked on.

Quote:
Once again - if you release something to the world, make sure it works (regardless of what you label it as). Anything else is just damaging to your brand
without releasing it, you'll never know what the issues are, hence beta testing it in the wild, and really bemymonkey i'd have hoped you'd understand that based on the length of time you've used the main Winamp client and would hope you remember the number of issues that has had over the years. software developement of any sort will involve bugs and issues in early versions and should be resolved over time (though how the android platform is doesn't help that in all cases). so just be a bit more patient and let them work on fixing the issues (posts are being read / noted even if you don't get a reply back).

and with that, there's nothing else i can offer in this forum

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2010, 10:34   #24
tekkitan

Quote:
Interesting - why was the app released to tens of thousands of users via the Android Market then? You can argue semantics all you want, but right now, people are stumbling across Winamp on Android, installing it, noticing that it doesn't do what it's supposed to according to the description, and uninstalling again, remembering that bad Winamp experience for all time.

Once again - if you release something to the world, make sure it works (regardless of what you label it as). Anything else is just damaging to your brand...
You don't seem to get the term "Release" in the software world. Release is when software comes out of all testing and is finally released as a fully working software. I guess that is a concept that eludes you, obviously.

If the people downloading it don't understand what "beta" means (as most of you seem to not understand as you create these stupid threads using expletives and demeaning the developers), it is not Nullsoft's fault. Software companies do this ALL the time.

Do me a favor, search the market for "beta". The only reason Nullsoft put the software on the market for people to download was to help them iron out the problems and to build hype on the upcoming release of the final product. People download it, thinking they are going to get a complete working software. Those people do not understand what it means to develop software, and people like you and the OP of this thread come here and think you are helping. Fact is, Nullsoft isn't charging you for this. They are making ZERO money for you downloading this. If you are unhappy with it, wait for them to fix the damn problems or MOVE TO ANOTHER MUSIC PLAYER.

I will say it again. MOVE TO ANOTHER MUSIC PLAYER. NO ONE WILL MISS YOU. YOU ARE NOT HELPING THE DEVELOPMENT PROCESS. NULLSOFT KNOWS WHAT IS WRONG AND IS WORKING ON DEVELOPMENT. IF YOU CANNOT BE PATIENT, THEN GO SOMEWHERE ELSE.
Old 2nd December 2010, 11:24   #25
bemymonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
will everyone take a chill pill please.
Gladly. I would love for this discussion to stay civil, meaning less comments such as, "Quit whining!" or the multiple general allegations of idiocy our dear Tekkitan has been spouting.

Quote:
different people are experiencing / expecting different things from the app which irrespective of it maybe being a tarted up base android media player, is going to be a work in progress no matter what to get it to something which will work in all cases. every single app will have issues and with the massive fragmentation known as the Android ecosystem then there are going to be issues when using it on different apps.

hopefully posts are being noted and bugs will be fixed but bear in mind that the app now pulls resources from the main player so there is a balancing act going on with getting things implemented / fixed / etc.
Issues are to be expected. As an Android user, I'm no stranger to bugs, and am willing to put up with many, especially from small-time devs who are working alone and as a hobby. What I don't expect, however, is completely broken core functionality and little to no developer acknowledgement of these issues. The Skype app has the same problem: Tons of issues that no big-name brand app should have, and no developer response other than "We're working on it."

Hopefully posts are being noted? Gee, nobody's asked for a single diagnostic test, error log or anything that may help narrow down the issue. The most I've heard is "Unable to reproduce"...

Quote:
finally, it does work form what i understand (i don't have an android device and neither do i have the interest / need to have one) though there are always going to be issues and those will hopefully be worked on.

without releasing it, you'll never know what the issues are, hence beta testing it in the wild, and really bemymonkey i'd have hoped you'd understand that based on the length of time you've used the main Winamp client and would hope you remember the number of issues that has had over the years. software developement of any sort will involve bugs and issues in early versions and should be resolved over time (though how the android platform is doesn't help that in all cases). so just be a bit more patient and let them work on fixing the issues (posts are being read / noted even if you don't get a reply back).

and with that, there's nothing else i can offer in this forum

-daz
If the issues are really being taken care of, fantastic. That's all any of us want.

However, one should note that the issues facing the Android client are very different from a few niggling issues on Winamp for Windows... when a new feature in one of the many desktop releases is buggy or non-functional, it's not detrimental to the core experience. When core features such as WiFi Sync (let's be honest - that's one of the main selling points for Winamp on Android) or Sync in general don't work reliably, that's a pretty big oopsie.

Quote:
You don't seem to get the term "Release" in the software world. Release is when software comes out of all testing and is finally released as a fully working software. I guess that is a concept that eludes you, obviously.

If the people downloading it don't understand what "beta" means (as most of you seem to not understand as you create these stupid threads using expletives and demeaning the developers), it is not Nullsoft's fault. Software companies do this ALL the time.

Do me a favor, search the market for "beta". The only reason Nullsoft put the software on the market for people to download was to help them iron out the problems and to build hype on the upcoming release of the final product. People download it, thinking they are going to get a complete working software. Those people do not understand what it means to develop software, and people like you and the OP of this thread come here and think you are helping. Fact is, Nullsoft isn't charging you for this. They are making ZERO money for you downloading this. If you are unhappy with it, wait for them to fix the damn problems or MOVE TO ANOTHER MUSIC PLAYER.

I will say it again. MOVE TO ANOTHER MUSIC PLAYER. NO ONE WILL MISS YOU. YOU ARE NOT HELPING THE DEVELOPMENT PROCESS. NULLSOFT KNOWS WHAT IS WRONG AND IS WORKING ON DEVELOPMENT. IF YOU CANNOT BE PATIENT, THEN GO SOMEWHERE ELSE.
I read everything you write and understand it very well, thank you. There's no need to SHOUT EVERYTHING.

That said, you really seem to be hung up on your own personal definition of a release and that labeling an app as beta software excuses any and all bugs which may be present. I'm sorry if it breaks your perfect little bubble, but that is quite simply not the case.

Also, I'd like to remind you that I'm not the one running around calling people idiots (or implying that they are such, or using expletives for that matter)... If you're worked up, that's fine with me - just stay on-topic and don't start trying to underhandedly insult people.

But alright. I'll give it a bit of time and wait for the final release. No more bug reports from me on Winamp for Android, as they're probably not needed - as you said, Nullsoft is all-knowing and is working out the issues as we speak... beta testing be damned.

Weeeeeeeeeeee
Old 2nd December 2010, 11:56   #26
tekkitan

Quote:
Gladly. I would love for this discussion to stay civil, meaning less comments such as, "Quit whining!" or the multiple general allegations of idiocy our dear Tekkitan has been spouting.
Quote:
Also, I'd like to remind you that I'm not the one running around calling people idiots
Really?

Quote:
I read everything you write and understand it very well, thank you. There's no need to SHOUT EVERYTHING.
Not meant to be shouting. Meant to be emphasis because you seem to not understand common sense, so I will emphasize and hopefully you'll get it one day. I won't hold my breath though.

Quote:
That said, you really seem to be hung up on your own personal definition of a release and that labeling an app as beta software excuses any and all bugs which may be present. I'm sorry if it breaks your perfect little bubble, but that is quite simply not the case.
My own personal definition? You haven't been around software development much, have you? This is a common software term. One of my favorite examples is FreeBSD. When each version comes out of testing and release candidate, they come out with the "RELEASE" which is the final product ready for production.

Quote:
But alright. I'll give it a bit of time and wait for the final release. No more bug reports from me on Winamp for Android, as they're probably not needed - as you said, Nullsoft is all-knowing and is working out the issues as we speak... beta testing be damned.
Now you're beta testing? I thought it was "pre-alpha"? And you call insulting Nullsoft developers beta testing?
Old 2nd December 2010, 11:57   #27
bemymonkey

Case in point. You may keep your (not so) thinly veiled insults...

Weeeeeeeeeeee
Old 2nd December 2010, 12:00   #28
tekkitan

Quote:
Case in point. You may keep your (not so) thinly veiled insults...
Oh mine are thinly veiled? What are yours?

Case in point, it is obvious who supports Nullsoft (and other software developers) and who doesn't.
Old 2nd December 2010, 12:11   #29
bemymonkey

Quote:
Oh mine are thinly veiled? What are yours?

Case in point, it is obvious who supports Nullsoft (and other software developers) and who doesn't.
I'm beginning to think we may have a bit of a language barrier here... I in no way insulted you or your intelligence, and you are welcome to sift through the thread once again and check. I have just done so myself and can find no instance of an insult on my part...

You on the other hand? In summary, according to you, other people including me are pretty much whiny idiots... see below.

Quote:
...Quit whining about features that don't work in a beta build of software.

Quote:
...Did you pay for Winamp on ANDROID? Are you really this smart? Keep replying and make yourself look more and more ridiculous.

Quote:
You don't seem to get the term "Release" in the software world. Release is when software comes out of all testing and is finally released as a fully working software. I guess that is a concept that eludes you, obviously....
Quote:
Not meant to be shouting. Meant to be emphasis because you seem to not understand common sense, so I will emphasize and hopefully you'll get it one day. I won't hold my breath though.

Take a moment to think about what you've written before replying with more insults please.

-edit- I am well aware of the fact that this is completely off-topic, and I will therefore refrain from replying to further posts in this thread. Sorry for the clutter, people.

Weeeeeeeeeeee
Old 2nd December 2010, 15:14   #30
tekkitan

Quote:
I'm beginning to think we may have a bit of a language barrier here... I in no way insulted you or your intelligence, and you are welcome to sift through the thread once again and check. I have just done so myself and can find no instance of an insult on my part...

You on the other hand? In summary, according to you, other people including me are pretty much whiny idiots... see below.

Take a moment to think about what you've written before replying with more insults please.

-edit- I am well aware of the fact that this is completely off-topic, and I will therefore refrain from replying to further posts in this thread. Sorry for the clutter, people.
I know what I have written. I never said that I didn't insult you. I did, because your replies have made zero sense and had no depth to support your argument. You just keep saying the same thing over and over all making zero sense in reply to what I have said. Sorry if I hurt your feelings, but if you can read and understand English you should have zero problems trying to understand what I have been saying.

This is my last reply to this thread. I have made my point. If you don't like the unstable beta software, move on to something else.
Old 2nd December 2010, 19:30   #31
catalysto

Wow, would you retards kindly stop turning this thread into a mess? Bemymonkey, stop being so argumentative about wording and insults and whatever else. You sound ridiculously immature.

And yes, the Winamp for Android beta qualifies as a beta.
Old 3rd December 2010, 17:17   #32
marvin_rock

Glad I had my popcorn for all this.
marvin_rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp for Android