Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support

Old 27th May 2015, 16:54   #1
zorkiii

Surface Pro 3 tablet icons way too small - is there a solution?

I am using Winamp on a Surface Pro 3 and the icons are ridiculously too small to see/use. I can click them with a mouse but there is absolutely no way to use a finger to minimize/maximize the window and dozens of other icons are too small to touch.

Is there a skin of Winamp that makes *everything* larger? Is there a touch-screen style skin by chance with any large icons and larger text? I searched the forum using several different keywords, including "Surface Pro", "larger text", "larger icons" and so on but not finding anything that has worked for me.

If anyone here has a Surface Pro 3 tablet and has Winamp installed you will likely know what I am talking about. It's just really tiny icons! Hoping someone can steer me towards a solution for picking up my Surface Pro 3 tablet and being able to use Winamp as a touch interface for my music collection.

Thanks!
zorkiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2015, 20:04   #2
DrO

for modern skins, you could try 'big bento' and then increase the scaling on the window.

for classic skins you can try using the double-size option but that doesn't work on all windows.

additionally, you'll most likely need to look at increasing the playlist editor font (which is linked to the UI elements normally) which will help increase the size of the data in the library, playlist, etc.

and ensure you're using the current patched version of Winamp. though Winamp isn't really setup to cope all that well on high-dpi screens as you're finding but some of the suggestions may help to lessen the pain (but the only real way would need a newer Winamp that's designed to better support high-dpi usage).
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2015, 01:44   #3
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

I have a skin mod in (slow) progress which I want to make as much touch-friendly as possible, maybe you'll be interested in testing when it's (more) finished. I would definitively use the input on it to improve since I actually don't have a touch screen =D

Early preview:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kameleon-28-05.png
Views:	371
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	51815
Victhor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2015, 23:06   #4
ozrock

Yes I too have tried it on the Surface Pro m3 but gave up.

Oddly enough I have also tried many other free and paid players and non of them show controls larger enough for me on the SP3.

I did increase the screen res size which helped.

I will keep looking though. I have gone back to an Aspire One netbook and a 17" HP Pavilion laptop.

Let the forum know if you find an answer.

oz
ozrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2015, 14:45   #5
Aminifu
Forum King

Victhor has released a beta version of the skin he is talking about in post #3 above. Link below.

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=382601

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1809 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2015, 22:42   #6
ozrock

This certainly is very nice looking at the images and I am sure will be very popular. Talented guys no doubt.

oz
Old 8th November 2015, 14:25   #7
ujay
Forum King

Hi

I run Winamp on a 10" tablet with very few problems.

Does a stylus help ?

Are you making best use of Winamp's right click menu ?

AFAIK, the only part of Winamp that fully supports touch screens is the Shoutcast browser, which is generated serverside.
ujay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2015, 14:32   #8
Aminifu
Forum King

Victhor now has a touch screen and that skin above he is working on supports touch screen. It is a cPro skin, so you also have to install the cPro v2.02 beta 2 skinning engine system plug-in. The download link is in post #7 of the thread link below.

http://forums.skinconsortium.com/ind...&threadID=2093

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Old 8th November 2015, 15:31   #9
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
Victhor now has a touch screen and that skin above he is working on supports touch screen. It is a cPro skin, so you also have to install the cPro v2.02 beta 2...
Actually only the beta needs the cPro plugin, but only for a single feature which can be easily ignored if you don't want it (the web reader). FINAL RELEASE WON'T NEED CPRO AT ALL, it will include the Web reader but it'll be totally independent.

My skin is mainly aim to Surface users actually, it doesn't support touchscreen in the common sense since Winamp doesn't support it, but it does include a lot of things that will help touchscreen users:
- Big buttons
- Easy access to Right click menus (I'm happy Ujay mention it, it's a powerful tool that not many people pay attention to)
- Improved use of Double clicks (on covers, topbar to maximize, etc)
- Smart distribution of buttons ("not everything needs to be visible all the time")
- Smart distribution of windows (idem). Implemented through the original skin's system of specific "pages".
- Touchscreen ready Playlist 1: coverflow style (drag song by song + double tap to play)
- Touchscreen ready Playlist 2: List with great visibility and spaced distribution of content + drag to scroll (or use scrollbar if wanted)
- Windowed and Fullscreen versions.
- Big notifier
- Big fonts (specially on Now Playing, Coverflow and Touchscreen Playlist)

+ A lot of goodies that makes the skin a precious thing on its own =)
Old 8th November 2015, 18:23   #10
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victhor View Post
Actually only the beta needs the cPro plugin, but only for a single feature which can be easily ignored if you don't want it (the web reader). FINAL RELEASE WON'T NEED CPRO AT ALL, it will include the Web reader but it'll be totally independent.

That will teach me to be very careful to promote the work of others accurately. I like the skin so much, I wanted to encourage people to try it.

Old 8th November 2015, 19:47   #11
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
That will teach me to be very careful to promote the work of others accurately. I like the skin so much, I wanted to encourage people to try it.
And it's VERY WELCOME! And currently truth in fact (at least for the current beta), so huge thanks! But I want to promote the fact that it has cPro features without actually need it* (which I accomplish on my current build).

*I like the idea of having a lot of features that can be used right "out of the box", without having to install anything, unlike cPro skins or even the original Komodo itself.
Old 8th November 2015, 22:58   #12
ozrock

Hi,

I have loaded WA again to my Surface Pro3 and fixed some of my own personal problems by
only have the Player and Playlist showing and upped the Playlist text to 25. I can now see it from a little distance very nicely. The Player unfortunaley is still small.

Because I need this as a no frills player, I hope you might have a really basic option for the new skin (which is very nice by the way) which can only show the player and the playlist but with really big basic buttons for RW, play, stop, FF. That's all I need myself but I in a way it is ruining what you have created .. sorry :-(

Aside from the new skin, I have found a 15/1/2006 version of gen_nos.dll and somehow it works with 5.666. I will post this in another thread where I have been ranting about how I need this next on stop option.

Looking forward to the final skin and many thanks..

oz
Old 10th November 2015, 16:01   #13
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

Maybe I'll add some sort of Remote control or mode or something to control music with very VERY big buttons..
It should be something containing few items (the more the smaller..), like:
Play / pause
Stop
Prev
Next
Volume
Song name + Artist name
Time
Open? Shuffle? Repeat? Seek?
Old 11th November 2015, 01:10   #14
ozrock

Yes that sounds great !

This is what I had in mind for those who really just want the controls with no frills..

Nearly the size of the full screen.

Lots of musos around who use Winamp for backings etc.

Just an idea anyway..

Playlist Name -Playlist Time length New Playlist to load
List at top next 4 songs and times

Time to Playlist end. Songs to end of Playlist

Previous Play/Pause Stop Next Level meter

Song now playing and time

and other stuff much smaller
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Winamp- Surface panel idea -details.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	188.4 KB
ID:	52077  
Old 26th November 2015, 16:26   #15
michaFl

Hi, I have just bought a surface 3 tablet and have the same problem, the window and the icons are too small to touch. I prefer winamp modern skin. When I klick double-size option, nothing changes. How does it work? How can I increase font to 25? My version is v.5.666. Thanks for your help.
Another problem with winamp on surface 3: when the energy saving option says save energy after (for example) 10 minutes, the music stopps after 10 minutes. Only the original windows music app "groove music" continues playing music even with the energy saving on. For winamp you first have to turn it off.
michaFl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2016, 13:30   #16
sahartech
Banned

I will keep looking though. I have gone back to an Aspire One netbook and a 17" HP Pavilion laptop.
sahartech is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support