Old 21st October 2018, 08:22   #41
niwrad777

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Egg View Post
xlat has now been updated with latest wlz (also the ftp server for latest .nsh)

Best website ever!
Thanks!!

You can also inform in this publication if there will be new releases with the languages or not.
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=278039

Note: The FTP server has some problems when trying to connect from filezilla, it only works from chrome.
niwrad777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2018, 08:33   #42
ariszlo

It feels snappier and it plays videos out of the box. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	winamp58.png
Views:	252
Size:	235.2 KB
ID:	54104  
ariszlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2018, 10:14   #43
kzuse

Send a message via ICQ to kzuse Send a message via Skype™ to kzuse
Hey... wow.... was on vacation and didn't expect that!!

As a winamp user since 2000 I only can say: cool!!!!

But I have some questions before I will try to install this one: you say that all former "Pro" versions have been removed. Does that mean also MP3 encoding (which I used a lot) has been removed? Actually, there shouldn't be any license issues for MP3 encoding since you use the free LAME encoder (instead of Fraunhofer) and those patents all are expired...

So, is MP3 encoding possible with this version?

And next question: does the new mpg123 decoder still support raw .aac files?

And last question: will it run on XP SP3 still (I don't use Video decoding in Winamp), but can I listen to .mp3, .m4a and .aac files on XP still?

I think those questions have been discussed in one or the other way in this thread already (yes of course, I read it before asking!), but unfortunately I think those questions haven't been exactly answered as yes or no...

... So a huge thank you in advance and of course, THANK YOU for continuing support on this great thing of software!!!!!

Best regards,
kzuse
kzuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2018, 12:26   #44
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

@kzuse

Yes, MP3 encoding works out-of-the-box.
All mp3 patents expired and lame_enc.dll 3.99.5 is included in the package.

By "former Pro-licensed features", it means Sonic CD Engine, Gracenote (cddb, MusicID, etc), mpeg-4 / h.264 decoding, mp3 encoding (encoder was free, but the patents hadn't expired)... things AOL paid for, that were licensed to AOL, and iirc needed paying for on a regular basis, so therefore needed to be covered by the Pro payments.

Fraunhofer mp3 & aac decoders weren't ongoing payments, but were exclusively licensed to AOL for use in Winamp. Radionomy couldn't use the same license, so we decided to use opensource libmpg123 for mp3 and system WMF decoder for aac instead.

in_mp3 still supports raw .aac files, but via winamp\system\aacdec.w5s
(which is also used by in_mp4, in_mkv, in_avi, in_flv, in_nsv)

Unfortunately though, as I said, it relies on Media Foundation which only comes with Vista and later.
AAC, MPEG-4 pt.2 & H.264 support all rely on Windows MF.

Using MF / MFTs means no additional licensing is required and therefore we can keep Winamp free.

We've replaced CD playback engine; plus mp3, aac, mpeg-4 and h.264 decoding

We've still not replaced CD Burning Engine/Interface (which still works in 5.666) or Gracenote features (cddb, autotag, playlist generator) - therefore those features are currently non-existent.

Winamp 5.8 will install & run on XP sp3, but for AAC support you'd need to use old in_mp3 and aacdec.w5s from 5.666.
See my reply to @eliotime3000 in post #11 for further details/instructions.
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2018, 12:32   #45
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
Egg,

i'm loving this version and think you and Ben have done a great job!

for everyone still running an old OS, the newest iteration of Win10 is stable, fast, and really the best windows yet. e.g. it boots a LOT quicker. consider installing it, and you can get a free license for it here:

https://www.zdnet.com/article/heres-...ws-10-upgrade/

https://www.howtogeek.com/272201/all...s-10-for-free/

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+...hrome&ie=UTF-8

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2018, 20:11   #46
tom white

I'm trying this, but have an unusual problem. Works fine with my headphones, but when I unplug the phones I get no sound from my laptops speakers. This doesn't happen with any other music program (WMP, MediaMonky, MusicBee, etc.). Haven't been able to figure out why yet.

Oh, I'm running Windows 10, on a Dell laptop. Winamp audio output was left as Direct.
tom white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2018, 20:12   #47
tom white

Sorry about the mis-spell on MediaMonkey. Couldn't find a way to edit my post.
Old 22nd October 2018, 04:27   #48
vkaku

I say this: F- yeah! (no expletives intended)

It literally came to life after I last used Winamp 5.5-ish! It's been a major part of life, from 1995-2005, before it literally died and got resurrected recently.
vkaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2018, 11:56   #49
tom white

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom white View Post
I'm trying this, but have an unusual problem. Works fine with my headphones, but when I unplug the phones I get no sound from my laptops speakers. This doesn't happen with any other music program (WMP, MediaMonky, MusicBee, etc.). Haven't been able to figure out why yet.

Oh, I'm running Windows 10, on a Dell laptop. Winamp audio output was left as Direct.
OK. I figured it out. If I "right-click" on the volume icon in the laptop tray, it shows three columns - but only when Winamp is running. The first column is overall volume, the second is system sounds, and a third column for Winamp. The third column was set very low and did not relate to the volume actually set in Winamp. It was more like a maximum volume indicator. I just increased it and all is well.

I've never seen it do that in any other music program.
Old 22nd October 2018, 14:20   #50
aeriolewinters

Thank you for releasing this version, and I hope we hear more from you. I kinda dig the new icon you used in the web site, was wondering if someone could release an Icon set with the same concept?
aeriolewinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2018, 16:47   #51
PeterK.
Quinto Black CT Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeriolewinters View Post
I kinda dig the new icon you used in the web site, was wondering if someone could release an Icon set with the same concept?
Here you go!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Winamp Icon.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	54111  
Attached Files
File Type: zip Winamp Icon (made by PeterK.).zip (10.1 KB, 85 views)
PeterK. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2018, 17:13   #52
joebloggscity

managed to download it and all good so far, thx a lot

Really want to keep this alive and like many would be happy to make a donation.
joebloggscity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2018, 20:28   #53
vkaku

Sweet! I am happy to donate for new versions.

Is there a known issue thread/bugzilla for Winamp? I know it's not Github, but I would like to see known issues being marked as fixed or deprioritized.

No new features, just bugfixes. I think there are too many threads (including ones I created) which all seem to have these reported but I'd like to see them all addressed in one place.
vkaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2018, 23:27   #54
MrSinatra
Forum King

Quote:
OK. I figured it out. If I "right-click" on the volume icon in the laptop tray, it shows three columns - but only when Winamp is running. The first column is overall volume, the second is system sounds, and a third column for Winamp. The third column was set very low and did not relate to the volume actually set in Winamp. It was more like a maximum volume indicator. I just increased it and all is well.

I've never seen it do that in any other music program.
yeah, i see the following issues semi often here in the forum, all relating to low volume.

a mixer one, like you describe above, a similar mixer one where windows has a feature to lower volume automagically when voice chat happens, (i find it crap and so i deactivate it), and an issue where changing to another output plugin, and then back, fixes it.

all kinda nebulous and hard to diagnose, but good to be aware of.

--
Old 23rd October 2018, 04:48   #55
thinktink
Forum King

Send a message via Skype™ to thinktink
Quote:

All mp3 patents expired and lame_enc.dll 3.99.5 is included in the package.

Wait, what?!

I went to the Fraunhofer website and they said that even though the core mp3 codec functions had unrenewed patents there were still some non-core stuff still patended that mp3 relies on. I know they dropped the licensing program for mp3 but I read further and what they wrote implied (at least to my non-legal interpretation) that you still had to contact them for licensing for new products or services. Is my interpretation wrong? Or does it mean I can now legally bundle the lame encoder with my software if I wanted to without paying or getting permission, or is it something else?
thinktink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2018, 21:32   #56
Skolkovich

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwrad777 View Post
What about language support?
Winamp supports all languages, like the old version. The developers didn’t add it easy. The translation into Russian came up from version 5.63
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Безымянный.png
Views:	158
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	54126  
Skolkovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2018, 00:28   #57
musicf8
Major Dude

Quote:
@evil_pro

There might be e.g. a 5.81 and further updates.
We shall see.
I really hope so. It would be a shame to end Winamp on a unfinished beta

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡ʎɯouoıpɐɹ

Current status of Winamp 5.8: Beta released, the last desktop version get wacup

Winamp v5.6.6.3516 bumping through Windows 10 Pro w/ Logitech Z-5500
musicf8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2018, 05:38   #58
eliotime3000

No, K-Lite Codec Pack does just help to WMP on Windows XP

For those people that want to bring out the H.264 video playback on Winamp, the K-Lite codec pack is useful in Windows Vista due to the demuxing process depends directly from Media Foundation feature. Ironicly, the AAC audio playback works on XP, specially on the audio streams.

Also, as an extra reminder, the Windows Media Format Runtime is the former technology that Windows used for Windows Media Player until Windows XP. Since Vista and above, it's replaced by Media Foundation, which actually makes usage of the H.264 and/or HEVC codecs.

TLR, Winamp 5.8 beta does not get improved with the installation of K-Lite Codec Pack, unless that you're using Windows Vista.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	winamp-5.8-aac-stream.PNG
Views:	102
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	54127   Click image for larger version

Name:	k-lite-codec-pack-1385-winamp.PNG
Views:	82
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	54128   Click image for larger version

Name:	winamp-5.8-mp4-avc-bug.PNG
Views:	79
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	54129  
eliotime3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2018, 05:54   #59
eliotime3000

Fraunhofer is actually focuses on H.264 and MPEG-4 coding

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinktink View Post
Wait, what?!

I went to the Fraunhofer website and they said that even though the core mp3 codec functions had unrenewed patents there were still some non-core stuff still patended that mp3 relies on. I know they dropped the licensing program for mp3 but I read further and what they wrote implied (at least to my non-legal interpretation) that you still had to contact them for licensing for new products or services. Is my interpretation wrong? Or does it mean I can now legally bundle the lame encoder with my software if I wanted to without paying or getting permission, or is it something else?
Actually, Fraunhofer is focusing all their efforts into the H.264 and MPEG-4 coding features, which requires some royalties if you want to employ it for commercial reasons. In case of open-source media players like Audacious, VLC and others, the usage of open-source codecs like libav, ffmpeg and/or matroska are valid choices, but in case of commercial support, these codecs may not be embedded. That's the main reason that VLC was initially a paid application in iOS.
Old 24th October 2018, 06:13   #60
eliotime3000

Well, I found a new feature that should be added on 5.666

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkaku View Post
Sweet! I am happy to donate for new versions.

Is there a known issue thread/bugzilla for Winamp? I know it's not Github, but I would like to see known issues being marked as fixed or deprioritized.

No new features, just bugfixes. I think there are too many threads (including ones I created) which all seem to have these reported but I'd like to see them all addressed in one place.
Well, I've found that now I finally can edit the URL's of the Online Service menu, stuff that I couldn't be able to do that until this version.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	winamp-5.8-online-services-edit.PNG
Views:	126
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	54131  
Old 24th October 2018, 08:58   #61
PeterK.

@Winamp Developer Team

I would like to make a request: Please replace old good Bento with Victhor's Big Bento Modern. That skin not only looks extremely good (especially on high-resolution displays) but also works like charm. Winamp in the year 2018 really deserves it.

Please give it a thought.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	big_bento_modern_by_victhor-dcbpn75.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	625.5 KB
ID:	54132  
Old 24th October 2018, 09:25   #62
Lynx24

Will there be an official, full release of 5.8 before 6 comes out, since this is still beta?
Lynx24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2018, 14:48   #63
tom white

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterK. View Post
@Winamp Developer Team

I would like to make a request: Please replace old good Bento with Victhor's Big Bento Modern. That skin not only looks extremely good (especially on high-resolution displays) but also works like charm. Winamp in the year 2018 really deserves it.

Please give it a thought.
Can that skin be made to show everything the regular Big Bento does? Meaning the column browser with panes for Artist, Albums then songs below those two and an album art panel?

I guess what I'm describing could be called an "all-in-one" view?
Old 24th October 2018, 19:21   #64
PeterK.

Quote:
Can that skin be made to show everything the regular Big Bento does? Meaning the column browser with panes for Artist, Albums then songs below those two and an album art panel?

I guess what I'm describing could be called an "all-in-one" view?
Why do you not install it and see for yourself. I am sure you will not be disappointed.
Old 24th October 2018, 19:48   #65
MrSinatra
Forum King

instead of replacing it, why not just include it? i love Bento and Big Bento as is myself.

--
Old 25th October 2018, 18:29   #66
kzuse

Send a message via ICQ to kzuse Send a message via Skype™ to kzuse
@DJ Egg,

thank you very much for those clarifications! Now I got it, and I think I'll give it a try very soon

Thanks!
kzuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2018, 05:28   #67
anonim1979

BUGS (Tested Windows 8.1 64bit):

1. Installer and/or Winamp during first setup/demo run likes to set per-application volume to "0" making Winamp silent. Considering that this setting is fairly obscure and in Windows 10 even more hidden a lot of people after upgrade/first install will have "non working" Winamp and will abandon it.
Reinstallation doesn't help.
WASAPI problems with exactly the same setting compound it further.

SOLUTION:
Installer should run (or at the very least offer an option set by default to "selected") to do something like this:

Quote:
REG.EXE DELETE "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\LowRegistry\Audio\PolicyConfig\PropertyStore" /F
This resets all Windows volume levels to default (also fixing a lot of other possible problems - this key tends to corrupt easily and block all volume changes. It's a really stupid setting and its location in registry shows typical Microsoft's forethought). The key restores itself (Audiosrv service does that) so nothing more is needed.

2. Modern skin ("Winamp Modern") in winamp58_3660_beta (and probably in 3653) is bugged/damaged.
It can read main window position, but doesn't write it to winamp.ini file on exit.

SOLUTION/Workaround:
Use skin from 5.666 or earlier, works as intended.

3. WASAPI
On my system (Realtek HD Audio, drv. 6.0.1.7891 from Windows Update) WASAPI will always set Winamp's per-application volume (see #1) to "0" when playing any MP3 with VBR (you can see this by watching Volume Mixer) and some CBR with header/delays (see example below) - you have to move volume slider a little for it to "jump" to set volume to audiable on each such file played.

I tried to experiment with settings in Windows - "Allow applications to take exclusive control" etc. nothing helps.
Some info from KODI's wiki I found "If using WASAPI do not use the Realtek HD Audio drivers as they do not work with the event driven mode Kodi uses for WASAPI."
So this might be a lost cause - more options with this plugin would be nice like: push/event. Or some kind of fail-safe mode.

I would advise adding info in the release notes.
Anyone who wants to experiment with WASAPI in Winamp should be aware about possible problems with volume.
And that's why #1 should be implemented - a lot of people won't bother to read info, will end with Winamp set at "0" volume that will be carried over even when they switch to DirectSound / reinstall and no idea how to fix it.

In this topic alone volume problems were reported two times.

CBR:
Quote:
Payload Size: 7149319 bytes
Header found at: 5653 bytes
Enc Delay: 576, Zero Padding: 1620
Length: 178 seconds
MPEG-1 layer 3
320 kbps, 6842 frames
44100 Hz Joint Stereo
anonim1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2018, 11:54   #68
zag2me

This is great news, I must admit after 15 years of winamp I recently moved away to a piece of software called Winyl but its great news that there is a new release. I will keep my eye on it over here lets hope people start creating skins again that look more modern and have bigger buttons for 4K screens.
zag2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2018, 16:50   #69
Kaminari

Winamp alive and mostly kicking after five years of development limbo? That's great to hear, since Winamp Classic Skin is still my player of choice.

However, I must be blind because I can't find how to disable video support in the preferences. I've searched through all options without any success.
Kaminari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2018, 17:22   #70
MrSinatra
Forum King

Pres > General Preferences > Video

If it's not there, maybe u didn't install any video options when u installed winamp? Or maybe u previously ini 'd it off. (Just a guess)

--
Old 6th November 2018, 04:03   #71
Kaminari

Thanks for the heads-up.

For some reason, rem_video was set to 1, though I've never touched this setting.
Kaminari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2018, 09:09   #72
gulbis37

If I reinstal to new version,it will be looks like clean or my library and playlists will be saved?
gulbis37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2018, 12:48   #73
MrSinatra
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulbis37 View Post
If I reinstal to new version,it will be looks like clean or my library and playlists will be saved?
Just install over top of existing install, everything should persist.

--
Old 11th November 2018, 19:06   #74
Tohno_Neil

Some people see the Bento skin,
they kown winamp no changes since winamp5.5 (2007) ,

they want a new official skin
Tohno_Neil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2018, 19:10   #75
MrSinatra
Forum King

Bento is updated, and I think improved. I like Bento more than the default classic or modern skin, I hope they keep it going fwd.

--
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion