Old 6th November 2016, 16:11   #1
Worez

Move X close button more to the right

Right now if you have the Winamp at the top and touching right edge of the screen, if you go with mouse pointer to the very right side and top side [point exactly at the corner], you are not really selecting the "X" button- you have to move it back a little to the left

I often close [especially when resetting system] software by just making a one smooth move to that corner and just clicking multiple times, without looking. Unfortunately, with Winamp [which sometimes I close and reopen multiple times during one session] I can't just sweep with the mouse on a table to the right and upward- I have to aim at that "X" close caption
Worez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2016, 17:12   #2
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

Good point, it may be easily fixable on this case*, but as you mention I think it's a common behaviour encouraged by Windows UI, so it makes sense if Winamp could follow that rule too (maybe next versions?).

*Let me see if I can prepare you a couple of files for a temporary fix.. You're using Bento skin no?

· · TMCT · KOMODO X
Victhor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2016, 18:06   #3
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

Mmm... what skin are you using? I've just tried that on Bento and Big Bentoand it works like it should. I guessed it didn't worked 'cause I remembered the look of it -the x is not near the edge- but the button area DOES extend to both edges, top and right.. so, what skin are you using?

· · TMCT · KOMODO X
Old 8th November 2016, 15:44   #4
Worez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victhor View Post
Mmm... what skin are you using? I've just tried that on Bento and Big Bentoand it works like it should. I guessed it didn't worked 'cause I remembered the look of it -the x is not near the edge- but the button area DOES extende to both edges, top and right.. so, what skin are you using?
Quote:
Mmm... what skin are you using? I've just tried that on Bento and Big Bentoand it works like it should. I guessed it didn't worked 'cause I remembered the look of it -the x is not near the edge- but the button area DOES extende to both edges, top and right.. so, what skin are you using?
Windows 7 x64

Winamp 5.666

Bento 1.2.1

The "X" is something like 5 pixels below the top edge and around 10 pixels away from the right edge
Old 20th March 2017, 20:42   #5
Worez

Here is a screenshot showing how it looks on my 21:9 screen https://pichoster.net/images/2017/03...bb8cc46f29.jpg

Please note that there is this black vertical space, but not only on the right, but also on the left side. It is 3 pixels wide on the right and 1 pixel wide on the left; and does not show up with other software [you can see in this image that the webrowser utilizes all the space, going horizontally beyond Winamp]

[I had the same problem on the 16:9 monitor, with the exact black pixels at the sides]

This black space adds to the problem, but it is probably not the main issue. Because there is still around 5 pixels of space between the "X" and that black area, where clicking does not close the Winamp [the "X" ion does not light up when I hoover there- I have to move the pointer further to the left]
Old 21st March 2017, 13:36   #6
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi Worez,

I don't object to your request to move the 'close trigger area' more to the right (just not all the way to the edge). Most Windows apps use all 4 of their corners (whether borders are used or not) to trigger the window resizing control which lets you resize the app's window vertically and horizontally at the same time. Usually it only takes pointing to a window's edge close to a corner. I think this is the behavior that Microsoft suggests. What bugs me is that Winamp only allows pointing close to the lower right corner to trigger this resizing control.

Winamp Pro 5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2017, 15:21   #7
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

Dumb me.. I didn't catch you were talking about the shade mode.. the current behaviour is due to those pixels reserved for the resize function (otherwise there would be no way to shrink down after maximize).

One possible fix is to move the resizer space to the left side and leave the right corner for closing.. let me try it..

· · TMCT · KOMODO X
Old 21st March 2017, 15:57   #8
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:

One possible fix is to move the resizer space to the left side and leave the right corner for closing.. let me try it..
That sounds reasonable.

If it is possible will you add it to the update list for Komodo X.

If it is also possible to add access to the vertical & horizontal resizing control to the left side corners, that would be appreciated too. The single point of access to this control is a nuisance, but it's better than only being able to use the vertical resizing control followed by the horizontal resizing control, or vice versa. So if access to the vertical & horizontal resizing control has to stay where it is, that's better than nothing.

Old 21st March 2017, 17:04   #9
Worez

I do not think I understand completely those last there posts

Quote:
Dumb me.. I didn't catch you were talking about the shade mode..
What shade mode?

[Dumb me?]

Quote:
the current behaviour is due to those pixels reserved for the resize function (otherwise there would be no way to shrink down after maximize)[...]
What does the user need this space for if the Winamp is in the form of a docked ticket bar? If I click the maximize button, my ticket bar is just moved down, leaving empty space at the top [with a height equal to the size of ticket bar]. The same thing happens when it expanded to the "normal" [classical] form- I click "maximize" and an empty space shows up at the top [big as Winamp itself]

I do not have such issues with any other software; and I use a lot of big and small: each is possible to be closed, when it is maximized, by moving the pointer to the right upper corner and clicking it without any sort of aiming

So just why did Winamp got such user unfriendly behavior?
Old 22nd March 2017, 03:17   #10
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worez View Post
What shade mode?
Shade mode (official name) = Docked ticket bar (how you call it)

Quote:
So just why did Winamp got such user unfriendly behavior?
I think this is due to WinXP standard, "docked bars" were cool and when Winamp introduce it followed what was usual then (sort of a "content centered as much as possible"). Sort of what I think that happened..

Anyway, you can try the attached Big Bento version I've prepared for you, it has a resizer on the left side, and the close button has a "ghost" button behind which extends to the far right. That should fix it for the time being..

---------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
If it is possible will you add it to the update list for Komodo X.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
If it is also possible to add access to the vertical & horizontal resizing control to the left side corners, that would be appreciated too.
XD
Attached Files
File Type: wal Big Bento - Extended shade Close button.wal (405.9 KB, 95 views)

· · TMCT · KOMODO X
Old 22nd March 2017, 11:38   #11
Worez

Quote:
[...]
Anyway, you can try the attached Big Bento version I've prepared for you, it has a resizer on the left side, and the close button has a "ghost" button behind which extends to the far right. That should fix it for the time being..
Thank you

This works- almost. Because the area is indeed extended to the far right. But the pointer has to be visible- I must click over the very first pixels that are on the right side [or those further to the left]. While with other software the pointer can be off the screen, which is apparently counted as being at the edge of it

So with your solution I still have to, after making a blunt move to the upper right corner, move it back to the left [although this time much less]. So Winamp works better now, but that problem has not been eliminated
Old 22nd March 2017, 12:24   #12
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

Mmm.... I miss something. Try this one, it adds 2 or 3 pixels more.
As far as I can see, it works fine, only when using Auto-dock Winamp leaves a blank space at the right top corner (which doesn't even point to Winamp itself so is impossible to make it use the extended close button..).
Attached Files
File Type: wal Big Bento - Extended shade Close button v2.wal (405.9 KB, 97 views)

· · TMCT · KOMODO X
Old 22nd March 2017, 17:28   #13
Worez

Quote:
Mmm.... I miss something. Try this one, it adds 2 or 3 pixels more.
[...]
It seems to work A-OK

But:

A] Can you also make such adjustment for the Main Mode?

B] How can I import my settings from my old Big Bento after switching to this modified one?
Old 23rd March 2017, 02:44   #14
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

Quote:
A] Can you also make such adjustment for the Main Mode?
I was 99% sure you were gonna ask about this one.. heh. I'll post it here later.

Quote:
A] B] How can I import my settings from my old Big Bento after switching to this modified one?
It'll be easier to import MY modded files into your Big Bento skin, I'll tell you how tomorrow. See you.

· · TMCT · KOMODO X
Old 23rd March 2017, 13:48   #15
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

Correction: the adjustment is not needed on Main mode, it actually works like it's supposed to (that's the reason of my second response here). You need to use the Maximize button, not manually expanding the player.

To import my mod on your current Big Bento;
- Rename my original file ("Big Bento - Extended shade Close button v2.wal") from .wal file to .zip
- Unzip it into a new folder.
- Copy the file "player-shade.xml" inside "xml" folder.
- Go to your Big Bento skin folder (usually C://Program files/Winamp/Skins/Big Bento).
- Then to "xml" folder, rename the original "player-shade.xml" into something else (optional, just to not loose the original) and paste the modded one you previously copied.
- Close and re-open Winamp or refresh it hitting F5.
- Done.

· · TMCT · KOMODO X
Old 23rd March 2017, 16:53   #16
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi Victhor,

I'm in error stating that Winamp only allows pointing close to the lower right corner to trigger the vertical & horizontal resizing control. After checking other skins in my collection, I see that this only occurs with a few cPro skins and Komodo X (which started as a cPro skin). I've only been using cPro skins for last few years and wrongly assumed that what I see in Komodo X and those other cPro skins was in all Winamp skins.

The Winamp skinning engine allows that control in all 4 corners of a re-sizable window. It is up to a skin's developer to provide it where he/she wants it.

Old 30th March 2017, 18:05   #17
Worez

Quote:
Correction: the adjustment is not needed on Main mode, it actually works like it's supposed to (that's the reason of my second response here). You need to use the Maximize button, not manually expanding the player.
Well for me it works differently

With my settings when I am in the Shade Mode [the Ticket Bar mode as I called at the beginning] after clicking Maximize my ticket bar gets moved down, leaving an empty space of size equal to the height of my ticket [which behavior I have already noted here http://forums.winamp.com/showpost.ph...2&postcount=9]. And I get the same behavior when I switch to your "Big Bento - Extended shade Close button v2" skin [after making quick core changes vital / equal to my old settings, concerning docking etc.]

Quote:
To import my mod on your current Big Bento;[...]
As I stated at the beginning, I am using Bento [and not Big Bento]

So after coping your player-shade.xml to
C:\Program Files (x86)\Winamp\Skins\Bento\xml
I got a message saying "Could not load script ..." and the following
C:\Program Files (x86)\Winamp\Skins\Bento\scripts\mute.maki
C:\Program Files (x86)\Winamp\Skins\Bento\scripts\seek.maki
C:\Program Files (x86)\Winamp\Skins\Bento\scripts\shadelinks.maki
C:\Program Files (x86)\Winamp\Skins\Bento\scripts\shadesize.maki
C:\Program Files (x86)\Winamp\Skins\Bento\scripts\songticker.maki
C:\Program Files (x86)\Winamp\Skins\Bento\scripts\syncbutton.maki
C:\Program Files (x86)\Winamp\Skins\Bento\scripts\visualizer.maki
after which I got a messed version of Winamp

So I also copied all those MAKI files taken out from your WAL / ZIP to my Bento folder and this time I was not prompted and Winamp did work. But that solution to the whole "X" problem was not present and my Shade Mode has had this black line at the top, while buttons got ~2 pixel more of space between them and between the edges [my elements just simply got moved a little]

As for the importing of my settings to "Big Bento - Extended shade Close button v2", if it comes up I will be unable to add your solution to my Winamp: would it be that after switching to your skin, all I would have to do is to adjust the colors and the overall size; because all other settings are stored in
C:\Users\USER\AppData\Roaming\Winamp
?

And do you happen to know, what is the difference between Bent and Big Bento- default size of buttons / fonts?
Old 31st March 2017, 00:20   #18
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

Uuffss.. this is getting messy or I'm missing something..

Don't use the files I've uploaded before, buttons sizes are too different from Bento to Big Bento (size of the components are basically the main difference between each skin). Use the one I'm submitting now instead.

The steps are quite like before:

To import my mod on your current Big Bento;
- Rename my original file ("Big Bento - Extended shade Close button v2.wal") from .wal file to .zip
- Unzip it into a new folder.
- Copy attached file "player-shade.xml" inside "xml" folder.
- Go to your Big Bento skin folder (usually C://Program files/Winamp/Skins/Bento).
- Then to "xml" folder, rename the original "player-shade.xml" into something else (optional, just to not loose the original) and paste the modded one you previously copied.
- Close and re-open Winamp or refresh it hitting F5.
- Done.
Attached Files
File Type: xml player-shade.xml (10.3 KB, 89 views)

· · TMCT · KOMODO X
Old 7th April 2017, 15:10   #19
Worez

Quote:
Uuffss.. this is getting messy or I'm missing something..

Don't use the files I've uploaded before, buttons sizes are too different from Bento to Big Bento (size of the components are basically the main difference between each skin). Use the one I'm submitting now instead.

The steps are quite like before:[...]
Well, I did placesthat new player-shade.xml version in my Bento folder

And now it works but only as far as the skin goes- clicking 2-3 black pixels on the right does not close the Winamp in the shade mode

As for the Main Mode it does work but only when Winamp is not maximized- which results in Main Mode being docked below the top, wasting a whole lot of space [and it is futile to move pointer to the corner of the screen because there is nothing there to click on]
Old 28th April 2017, 17:33   #20
RichardGhval

Move X close button more to the right

for playlist in shade/compact mode, when quit button is held down the unshade button beside shifts a pixel. This is a small bug however it is really anoying for me as I make my skin. Any of u skinmakers experience this when skinning the playlist?
RichardGhval is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Wishlist

Tags
close caption, closing, x button