Old 11th June 2011, 01:45   #1
ttougar

Song lengths in winamp longer than actual length of song

Recently, I was organizing "My Music" folder putting mp3's into folder's with the artist's name. After I did this I thought all that would be required would be to add the music to winamp again, and then delete duplicates with the old file location. However, all the files I moved now are listed as having a track length drastically longer that the actual length of the song. An example: a song with the length of 9:45 is now listed as having a length of 38:59. When I play these songs, they play correctly, however, after the real length of the track has finished, the remaining time is completely silent.

I am not sure what would be the cause of this as any of the songs I did not move are still correct. I have tried removing the files from winamp and then adding them back, as well and completely reinstalling winamp and then re-adding the media. The same songs which had the problem remained the only ones after I reinstalled. I also played the songs in Windows Media Player, and they played correctly there.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My Specs:

No plugins installed.

ASRock 880GXH
AMD Phenom II x6 1075T
4GB DDR3
On Board Audio
Nvidia GTX 470
Windows 7 - sp1
DX11
Winamp 5.61 (full version I believe)
ttougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2011, 13:04   #2
ujay
Forum King

This is usually caused by a tangled file header.

Not at all sure why this should be happening if you are just moving stuff around in Windows Explorer though.

Try running the affected files through VBRfix - http://home.gna.org/vbrfix/
Backup the original files first.

UJ
ujay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2011, 05:57   #3
ttougar

Tried that, however no good. I don't think what you suggested is the problem though, as I would imagine that would cause the problem in all media players, not just winamp? I am truly at a loss as to what happened and how it did.
Old 13th June 2011, 07:13   #4
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
i would run mp3val on the files, and moonbases ver of vbrfix if any vbrs weren't fixed by mp3val.

then clear the ML entirely and rescan from scratch. backup your winamp first, using the forums backup tool.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2011, 17:45   #5
ttougar

mp3val did the trick.

Thanks a bunch.
Old 13th June 2011, 19:35   #6
MrSinatra
Forum King

that would imply that the headers were off. winamp gets song lengths from header info.

--
Old 29th January 2013, 01:49   #7
LeionKeY

Send a message via Skype™ to LeionKeY
And what if my FLAC's do that?

Note:
I recorded a disk (Deadmau5's For Lack Of A Better Name) and the first song (FML) is alright, and the second song (Moar Ghosts 'n' Stuff) is good too, but the info of the second song is also the info of the first song (FML), even the length... I changed the info of the second song with Alt+3 to the real title and stuff, but the length doesn't change.... But if I Enqueue the next song after the second, it keeps playing without problem, so I think there's no aditional data, just the mistaken value of length...

Anyway, thank you

Those who look only to the past, or the present, are certain to miss the future...
LeionKeY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2013, 03:04   #8
MrSinatra
Forum King

upload some example files to 4shared so we can see whats going on, and post your one for nunz list.

--
Old 31st January 2013, 23:12   #9
sparge

This is an interesting one. I just joined the forum because after sveeral years using Winamp on WinXp boxes, I am having big problems using Winamp to play mp3 files on a DVD on a Win 7 machine (I have observed a minor glitch on another Win 7 machine, maybe I'll get to that at some point). I just started browsing and I found this thread.

The main problem is Winamp will only ever play a few tracks before it hangs. When it does I have real trouble killing it. Last night I observed a new problem - a track finished playing, and instead of going on to the next one, Winamp's time counter just kept right on clocking up more time. The actual track is 6:03 IIRC; it got to twenty-something minutes before I got distracted enough to stop keeping tabs on it. When I eventually came back, it had hung.

Now the thing is, as I said, all the tracks I was trying to play were on a DVD - so no chance of headers getting scrambled.

I have tried setting it to run compatible with Win XP SP3 and it made no difference.

Before I registered here, I also hit the net a couple of weeks ago to find out how to stop Winamp asking me if it was OK to make changes to the hard disk every time it ran. I solved that problem and was hoping that might help, but it didn't help either.

Looking forward to finding out what the problem is!

Andy
sparge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2013, 03:08   #10
LeionKeY

Send a message via Skype™ to LeionKeY
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
upload some example files to 4shared so we can see whats going on, and post your one for nunz list.
Ok, here's what you asked for....

As you can notice, my winamp says that the lengths are the same, but, if you take a look at wikipedia's screenshot, it says it's supposed to be 4:30 and not 6:35....

Wikipedia page where I found the info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/For_Lack_of_a_Better_Name

And yes, I recorded a bought CD, which I have right here at my left hand

Thanks Mr Sinatra

Those who look only to the past, or the present, are certain to miss the future...

Last edited by LeionKeY; 1st February 2013 at 03:12. Reason: Wrong image... (dumb)
LeionKeY is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support

Tags
length, track