Old 24th June 2009, 16:02   #1
the_webninja

Send a message via Yahoo to the_webninja
Winamp for Ubuntu?

Ubuntu is on the rise, this year Dell or HP is putting out PCs with Ubuntu pre-installed on them. The reason for this is Ubuntu is more Stable than Windows, more Secure than Windows, and more Customizable than Windows, which means there is a very real probability that Ubuntu might just overtake Windows in the next few years. If for nothing more than the sheer number of Mal-ware and virus threats out there that are specifically written for Windows.

So with this in mind, I think it would be a really good idea for someone over there to start thinking about a Linux Based Winamp version.

Thank You,

the_webninja
Old 24th June 2009, 20:55   #2
Sawg
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to Sawg Send a message via AIM to Sawg Send a message via Yahoo to Sawg
1. No it isn't.
2. Winamp will never be ported to Linux. You might have some luck with Wine.

| Brought to you by ^V ^C | The one... the original... no seriously!
Old 25th June 2009, 12:19   #3
the_webninja

Facts speak Louder than Opinions

My intention in posting here was not to argue the facts, because the FACTS speak for themselves. If you do not KNOW the Facts, then it is YOUR responsibility to educate yourself and LEARN the facts, (Such as Ubuntu being more Stable, more Secure, and More Customizable, AND FREE, along with the FACTS about PC makers producing PCs with Ubuntu installed on them.)

All these Facts illustrate a change in market attitude, and possible projections for the future. Projections which WILL affect YOU like it or not. I mean you can claim that Winamp will "Never" port with Ubuntu, but if everyone switches to Ubuntu in the next ten years because they get sick of all the Viruses which are written for Windows, or they just like the idea of getting a good Operating System FREE, either way, no matter how much you say "never" you could always stick to your guns and wind up in your mother's basement using Windows and your Fossilized version of Winamp I guess.

But the Trends and Market Projections Rule the World, not you. Remember that. The People Rule, not you.
And when you have a majorly positive Operating System that has Lots of Reasons to switch while Window$ is $till $ucking you dry with every Application. Eventually you will begin to think about switching to Ubuntu. At that time maybe you will wise up and realize what I was trying to say.

My goal here was to inspire intelligent thinking.
Maybe I came to the wrong forum.

Old 25th June 2009, 13:31   #4
homes32

Re: Facts speak Louder than Opinions

Quote:
Originally posted by the_webninja

My goal here was to inspire intelligent thinking.
Maybe I came to the wrong forum.

Before you go running around spouting off how much we don't know perhaps you should think about what you DON'T know about Winamp's programming. IT ISN'T POSSIBLE TO PORT due to it's extensive use of the Windows API. use some intelligent thinking and do a forum search and you will find some nice threads detailing this.

that being said, the lite version of Winamp works decent in Wine. don't bother with the full version. video,vis,cd burn,ML, Modern Skins, won't work without windows. I'd also like a decent media player for *nix but its not gonna happen with Winamp unless they do a complete rewrite.

homes32
Old 25th June 2009, 20:38   #5
Sawg
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to Sawg Send a message via AIM to Sawg Send a message via Yahoo to Sawg
Facts do speak Louder than Opinions. Maybe this is the year Linux hits 1%, WOO!

http://marketshare.hitslink.com/oper...e.aspx?qprid=8

Winamp still isn't being ported to Linux. if anything a Mac port would come first, but that isn't coming either.

Old 26th June 2009, 14:57   #6
the_webninja

Check the Links

Search Techrepublic.com for Dell + Ubuntu

Search Cnet.com/downloads for Ubuntu

(Oooo look at all those Stars, must be quite a few satisfied people for that to happen huh?)

Go to Ubuntu dot net to read all the Facts about WHY you should switch.
Old 28th June 2009, 09:05   #7
Wildrose-Wally
The Albertan

Windows will become a lot less vulnerable to virus treads once the virus developers switch to creating them for Ubuntu. That is, they concentrate on where they can do the most damage. At this time that is Windows.

In a few hundred years that very well might be Ubuntu, and at that time you will be swearing at that fuckin' operating system that will be less stable than Windows with more virus treads.

The ONLY reason Ubuntu appears more secure, and that really is "appears" (in reality, it is just as vulnerable), is the relative low percentage of users when compared to "other" operating systems.

Now to porting Winamp.
Since a port will require a complete re-write to another operating system, be that Mac, Linux or whatever else, it is folly to think it will still be Winamp.
What you get after a complete re-write is a complete new program.
This of course means that you might as well pick the program that best suits your needs from the ones already available for your operating system.
Old 29th June 2009, 10:23   #8
Sawg
Forum King

Sure, I can troll the Linux Fanboys all day, the the answer is till "no." And surprisingly this hasn't been locked yet...

Winamp 5.0 Wishlist (Read this first before posting here)

Quote:

Note: Threads asking for items on this list will be locked. Any posts asking for hardware mp3 player ports, or linux/mac/handheld/phone/etc ports will be locked instantly. Posting phrases such as "Like (insert some other p.o.s. player here) does" will probably get you totally ignored.
Or as the average Linux user would say.... RTFM. (Alright, couldn't read that one, and it really isn't a fucking manual, but a fucking sticky post clearly labled "Read this first before posting here").

Closed Thread
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Wishlist