Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion

Old 9th February 2022, 16:33   #1
0x5066

Winamp will most likely have something to do with NFTs

I intended to bump my previous thread about that mystical beta, that somehow got derailed into other things, fun! So, no point in that.
A friend of mine finally got an email asking to fill out another form, asking you a bunch of things and what you want from the new Winamp yadda yadda yadda, marketing talk.

Then what's that thread title about and why should you be concerned?

Someone on Twitter posted a screenshot of Jean-Louis Lauwers's Linkedin where it lists his position at Winamp as "NFT", with another line stating "Metaverse". If either has your head scratching, I'll explain quickly.

NFT

NFT's are "Non Fungible Tokens" where you essentially own a receipt of you owning a link to something, but never the thing you bought. They're often associated with stolen art (and now recently, musicians too), scams and legitimate collections consisting of very ugly art of various animals in the same pose with various different things (hats, expressions, etc).

METAVERSE

The "Metaverse" wants to be a glorified Holodeck, where you use some VR software to interact with others and it has it's ties to NFT and cryptocurrency exclusively, what's the point of that? No idea.

With these things in mind, it should be clear by now that the Winamp we knew and loved is dead, if their "Set the tone" marketing will lead to NFTs/cryptocurrency, which means that, whatever comes out, won't be the same as before anymore.

What to do now? What are your options?

At this point, you're better off with 5.666 or WACUP if you don't want to deal with this and neither the 5.8 beta.
"But I don't want alternatives, I only want the official updates from Winamp!"
GLWT. If you're happy with whatever they do now, I won't bother to stop or help you.
0x5066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2022, 19:08   #2
dynamicradio

I often check the forum for regular updates once a year or so and was surprised to see the website updated - but the wording on the site did make me worry.

Hearing about Cryptomining is also worrying - there seems to be a trend with Antivirus products adding this - why can't the products just focus on what they are good at. I don't really use my desktop to listen to music as much these days as not on it as much but when I do I always use Winamp - I'm a little worried that the name/brand might get ruined by the product trying to do too much and becoming too far removed from what made it so popular in the first place.
dynamicradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2022, 20:09   #3
0x5066

Well if anything, my post does warn you about just that, I'm just waiting for the announcement to drop (whenever that happens)
Old 16th March 2022, 13:24   #4
0x5066

I told you so, none of you just didn't listen.
Old 16th March 2022, 13:58   #5
NJK
FRISIAN

NJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2022, 15:46   #6
DJ-Garybaldy
Forum King

I keep hearing about NFT's and even after reading up on them I still don't understand their purpose maybe I'm thick...
DJ-Garybaldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2022, 16:25   #7
0x5066

That's why I put up a very quick summary of what they are in my thread, which should be easy to understand
Old 16th March 2022, 17:27   #8
Alrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ-Garybaldy View Post
I keep hearing about NFT's and even after reading up on them I still don't understand their purpose maybe I'm thick...
You're not thick... You hit the nail on the head... They have no purpose...

Oh... Except for parting idiots from their cash.
Alrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2022, 09:14   #9
0x5066

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJK View Post
I've no idea if this is sarcasm or not
Old 17th March 2022, 09:53   #10
NJK
FRISIAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0x5066 View Post
I've no idea if this is sarcasm or not
it's what you want to think about it,

as always with Winamp it's options , options and options.

You can use it as a basic player, you can use skins, milkdrop etc but options......
Old 17th March 2022, 11:17   #11
0x5066

not meant as a personal attack or anything, but are you telling me you still believe in them doing the right thing?

credit where credit is due, that's some dedication, at some point you just gotta give up and accept the loss
Old 17th March 2022, 11:52   #12
NJK
FRISIAN

Quote:
not meant as a personal attack or anything, but are you telling me you still believe in them doing the right thing?
Yep , just imagine that you are the current owner of the wellknown brand name Winamp
you would want to earn some money because you have your costs.
But are you willing to shame the name Winamp by forcing users to pay money??

Just think about that.
Old 17th March 2022, 12:23   #13
/usr/bin/Tux

I wish I had better reasons to come here again, but I need to say that WTF.

Could someone please buy Winamp and fire the people responsible for this giant mess?

Winamp user since v1.something.
/usr/bin/Tux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2022, 12:36   #14
DJ-Garybaldy
Forum King

Quote:
But are you willing to shame the name Winamp by forcing users to pay money??
If they are going to charge for Winamp then that boat has permanently sailed to another world... Its not even installed on this machine I have other software doing my music automation
Old 17th March 2022, 13:45   #15
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

NFT was one potential part of the function for implementing support for Artist/Label submissions in a proposed music discovery type service, e.g. to guarantee that an album or song etc. is unique and belonging exclusively to the composer or copyright owner.

This particular additional feature itself has not yet been implemented in any alpha versions and won't be in any initial public beta version either.

We will not be charging for Winamp, though I can't personally guarantee there won't eventually be any additional subscription type services.

I honestly do not know at this point.

Just to be clear...

This new Winamp (6) will be more like a continuation of the WAFA project, but written from scratch, and as a cross-platform app for Android, iOS, web, etc.

As I've said all along, the Winamp (5) for Windows project is not dead.

Myself, Benski and others have been planning to work on it (there has been a few internal updates) - but the past couple of years have been extremely difficult. Personal real-life issues have gotten in the way and taken their toll. I personally have lost loved ones to covid.

Sorry for any confusion.

As always, I/we will keep you updated on any Winamp 5 or other news.
DJ Egg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2022, 14:12   #16
DJ-Garybaldy
Forum King

Quote:
NFT was one potential part of the function for implementing Artist support, e.g. to guarantee that an album or song etc. is unique and belonging exclusively to the composer or copyright owner.
And if it detects an mp3 isn't "Geniune"?

I have a LOT of files in my library ripped from Vinyl... What would happen to those files would I be reported for piracy?
Old 17th March 2022, 14:16   #17
NJK
FRISIAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Egg View Post

We will not be charging for Winamp, though I can't personally guarantee there won't eventually be any additional subscription type services.

A bit like the old days when you could get Pro for money

Quote:
Personal real-life issues have gotten in the way and taken their toll. I personally have lost loved ones to covid.
Very sorry to hear this.
Old 17th March 2022, 14:52   #18
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Quote:
And if it detects an mp3 isn't "Geniune"?

I have a LOT of files in my library ripped from Vinyl... What would happen to those files would I be reported for piracy?

Oops, sorry. I've now edited my first post to hopfully explain it a bit more clearly.

To clarify, this particular element has got nothing to do with the user's music library or local mp3 collection. It relates solely to the hopeful/additional implementation of a music discovery type service akin to Spotify, Deezer, Bandcamp, Amazon Music, Apple Music, YT Music, Jamendo (AudioValley's current relevant/similar service), etc. where artists/labels can submit their music.
Old 17th March 2022, 16:04   #19
0x5066

Quote:
NFT was one potential part of the function for implementing support for Artist/Label submissions in a proposed music discovery type service, e.g. to guarantee that an album or song etc. is unique and belonging exclusively to the composer or copyright owner.
That's funny.

Quote:
This particular additional feature itself has not yet been implemented in any alpha versions and won't be in any initial public beta version either.

I honestly do not know at this point.
This at least tells me a few things, one which says that you aren't fully in the Winamp 6 team, and that the Twitter sh*tstorm from yesterday may or may not have had an impact.

Quote:
As I've said all along, the Winamp (5) for Windows project is not dead.
Why'd the site redesign state before that it's not an on-going project? Who am I supposed to believe now, the official Winamp homepage, or a developer?

Quote:
Myself, Benski and others have been planning to work on it (there has been a few internal updates)
If you are indeed working on whatever new comes from the Winamp 5 line, then I ask of you the following to consider.

Consider open sourcing the entirety of the Modern Skin engine with a license that has no restrictions whatsoever, allowing anyone who has any remote interest to implement the engine into their own programs and to fork and update it with their own needs, I'm sure you're aware of how important it is to at least a handful of people, myself included, and for the sake of history being preserved.

Quote:
but the past couple of years have been extremely difficult. Personal real-life issues have gotten in the way and taken their toll. I personally have lost loved ones to covid.
My condolences.
Old 17th March 2022, 18:01   #20
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Quote:
That's funny.

This at least tells me a few things, one which says that you aren't fully in the Winamp 6 team, and that the Twitter sh*tstorm from yesterday may or may not have had an impact.

Why'd the site redesign state before that it's not an on-going project? Who am I supposed to believe now, the official Winamp homepage, or a developer?

If you are indeed working on whatever new comes from the Winamp 5 line, then I ask of you the following to consider.

Consider open sourcing the entirety of the Modern Skin engine with a license that has no restrictions whatsoever, allowing anyone who has any remote interest to implement the engine into their own programs and to fork and update it with their own needs, I'm sure you're aware of how important it is to at least a handful of people, myself included, and for the sake of history being preserved.

My condolences.

The official Winamp 6 roadmap drawn up a few months back states that the music discovery feature won't be in any initial public beta release.

For the record, I've been part of the "Nullsoft" team for ~20 years.
I've continually stated on here that Winamp 5 for Windows is an ongoing project.

However, I've never been responsible for making executive decisions.
Old 17th March 2022, 18:08   #21
0x5066

So that's a no from making gen_ff/the modern skin engine open source...?
Old 17th March 2022, 18:12   #22
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Quote:
So that's a no from making gen_ff/the modern skin engine open source...?

That's something for company directors/CEOs/managers to answer.
I'm just a lowly QA/support-dev/engineer/tech co-worker.

There was talk of open-sourcing the whole thing at one point, but nothing ever came of it.
Old 17th March 2022, 18:15   #23
0x5066

Well, I can still hope of gen_ff being open sourced one day.
Old 17th March 2022, 19:53   #24
ChocolateAdventurouz

I think Winamp is more like an experiment.
ChocolateAdventurouz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2022, 20:29   #25
0x5066

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rel@m View Post
I think Winamp is more like an experiment.
I told you so.
Old 18th March 2022, 08:19   #26
NJK
FRISIAN

He 0x5066

how about waiting for the release of Winamp 6, use it and than criticize instead of making a whole of fuzz about it and having a biased opinion .

You don't have a clue what it's going to be just like the rest of us
Old 19th March 2022, 19:40   #27
olavinto

Quote:
Oops, sorry. I've now edited my first post to hopfully explain it a bit more clearly.

To clarify, this particular element has got nothing to do with the user's music library or local mp3 collection. It relates solely to the hopeful/additional implementation of a music discovery type service akin to Spotify, Deezer, Bandcamp, Amazon Music, Apple Music, YT Music, Jamendo (AudioValley's current relevant/similar service), etc. where artists/labels can submit their music.
And this is what any modern media player should aim to provide if it wants to be relevant, weather you like and/or use these services or not. This is where the mass media market is these days (music and video) and it should be supported or at the very least considered heavily. This does not mean that it has to diminish the value and functionality of traditional local media playback. Otherwise the product will service only a very limited user base (in comparison) and it would basically be just some kind of a passion project in which case it would work much better as an open source project (again, this does not mean that it can't be a passion project now too).

I would have been shocked if there weren't any plans or at least concept ideas to support Jamendo and obviously Shoutcast since they are products of the same company, after all. As a business decision it would be absolutely idiotic to invest into a media player and not support your own services/resources with it (a "non profit" is still basically a business, it just does not do it to make a profit for itself - "non-profits" is not synonymous with something that does not need income - there are bills to pay).

I have always been a supporter of providing as much flexibility/customization/options for any and all end users to enjoy. As long as they are implemented with care and within reasonable limits to be able to maintain develop them further, of course. If you wish to play local media files, then I'm happy that you are able to do so, even if I don't do that anymore myself (much).
olavinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2022, 00:35   #28
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
Quote:
akin to Spotify, Deezer, Bandcamp, Amazon Music, Apple Music, YT Music, Jamendo (AudioValley's current relevant/similar service), etc. where artists/labels can submit their music.
check this one out:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tidal_(service)

Quote:
For the record, I've been part of the "Nullsoft" team for ~20 years.
I've continually stated on here that Winamp 5 for Windows is an ongoing project.
i'm glad ur still with us and with winamp Egg, u would be missed.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2022, 01:37   #29
olavinto

Quote:
He 0x5066

how about waiting for the release of Winamp 6, use it and than criticize instead of making a whole of fuzz about it and having a biased opinion .

Yeah, hype and speculation is fine as long as it isn't packaged, rated and reviewed as something that actually exists. That is how good things get destroyed and bad ones succeed even before anything is actually known about them.
olavinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2022, 14:56   #30
0x5066

Quote:
He 0x5066

i wish i was just as blissfully ignorant as you , but alas, staying up to date on topics like NFTs and crypto doesn't exactly allow me to just "wait" for things to actually come (i really dont have to point you to the winamp NFT initiative/foundation now, do i? still baffled at how this doesn't even phase you one bit, oh well)

Quote:
Originally Posted by olavinto View Post
Yeah, hype and speculation is fine as long as it isn't packaged, rated and reviewed as something that actually exists. That is how good things get destroyed and bad ones succeed even before anything is actually known about them.
that's kinda funny when you consider how much of a sh*t reputation NFTs and crypto have, and with winamp's name being dragged through the mud with this nonsense has also irrefutably damaged winamp's reputation

yes, the player isn't out, i get it, however with what they're doing now i'm not so trusting in what they have planned for the player
Old 20th March 2022, 17:08   #31
NJK
FRISIAN

Quote:

yes, the player isn't out, i get it, however with what they're doing now i'm not so trusting in what they have planned for the player

that's fine, but intill the release be so kind as to keep your opions to yourself , stop posting things like i told you so if you don't have a clue about how the new Winamp 6 is going to be as you are not a member of the team that is creating this player.
Old 20th March 2022, 17:29   #32
DJ-Garybaldy
Forum King

Are we not allowed an opinion on the New Winamp we are after all THE USER BASE...

Chill mate I moderate on a forum and I'm nowhere as Belligerent to the users on there...

Its Clear Winamp (Radionomy) have burnt a few bridges with this announcement from what I read on social media... telling people to keep the opinions to themselves is BAD by anyone's standards
Old 20th March 2022, 18:37   #33
NJK
FRISIAN

Quote:
Are we not allowed an opinion on the New Winamp we are after all THE USER BASE...
everybody has an opion and is free to speak his/ her mind only this member has a biased opion that is forced upon us in almost every post he/she makes

Nobody yet knows how Winamp 6 is going to be so let's wait and than have your opions about it but don't start making a whole lot of fuzz about it when it's not even released yet

and as DJ Egg cleary stated, Winamp 6 is free , options could be costing you money
Old 20th March 2022, 20:04   #34
0x5066

Quote:
he's stuck in his own world, i'm stuck in mine, just strikes me as odd when direct questions/actual events that i bring up are avoided when i ask them/bring them up, such as this one:
Quote:
(i really dont have to point you to the winamp NFT initiative/foundation now, do i? still baffled at how this doesn't even phase you one bit, oh well)
and i'm not even trying to pick a fight here

Quote:
Its Clear Winamp (Radionomy) have burnt a few bridges with this announcement from what I read on social media...
it's not just a few bridges, mind you, loads of people have had some sort of attachment to winamp, whether it's personal or heard about it being mentioned somewhere else as this cool thing people are using in the early 00's

Quote:
that's fine, but intill the release be so kind as to keep your opions to yourself , stop posting things like i told you
no.
i'll keep pointing out what audiovalley has done recently, this isn't even an opinion, it's a fact that happened just a few days ago, and my gut tells me the exact same thing will happen if the player does release and i keep doing my thing, with you telling me i should just keep my opinions to myself
Old 20th March 2022, 20:46   #35
ChocolateAdventurouz

We should wait a bit, until Winamp 6 releases. Then we can clarify the things (my opinion)

But now, I have second thoughts about Winamp being a streaming service, because we are waiting 8 years (2014-2022). Are they enough for a new streaming service to start collecting songs etc?
ChocolateAdventurouz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2022, 08:32   #36
NJK
FRISIAN

Last thing i have to say about this all

If you believe everything that is written on social media

Yep, we didn't land on the moon, JFK isn't dead , Elvis is still alive and was seen in a 7/11 and the earth is flat.
Old 21st March 2022, 11:20   #37
Pawel

Take it easy, guys.
This discussion is rather pointless... no one know what is gonna happen in future.

The fact is - latest stable Winamp release is almost 10 years old (leaked beta is not stable product)...
In my opinion it means dead software. The legend is buried! Sad, but true.

The young generation does not even know how universal and genius Winamp is.
How easy to use, powerfull and fast it was. Today only old funs remember and even use it.

Now, what current Winamp owners do?
- change Winamp logo few times... each one worse than the previous one,
- redesignes Winamp Website... it is crappy, slow and killing browsers,
- talking, talking and talking about new, great super Winamp 6... I will remind you - 10 years!
- NFT and Winamp. WTF!? This is the way to make Winamp great again? NFT? Stupid idea, for stupid people that want to pay for nothing. For sure it will not help! NFT is wrong!

So, we all know how it looks now... but we can only wait for next move.

So, calm down all.
Those who want to use old good Winamp - use WACUP. Support WACUP: https://getwacup.com
WACUP is the only way to feel old Winamp soul... Winamp that plays YOUR music, on your terms.

Those who want to wait for new, shiny Winamp with streaming services... wait...
Maybe a new Winamp will finally be released. But will it be the Winamp we all love?
I think you all know the answer.

-Pawel

Last edited by Pawel; 21st March 2022 at 12:25.
Pawel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2022, 15:07   #38
NJK
FRISIAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawel View Post
Take it easy, guys.
This discussion is rather pointless... no one know what is gonna happen in future.

-Pawel
Amen to that and it's what i've been saying all the time.
Old 25th March 2022, 11:03   #39
DJ-Garybaldy
Forum King

Which is going to come FIRST?

A Winamp release OR A Nuclear War
Old 25th March 2022, 11:37   #40
0x5066

my ban
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion