Old 28th January 2012, 14:58   #1
sankt

FBI's Most Wanted: A Social Media Monitoring Tool

An FBI listing on FedBizOpps.gov is putting out the call for developers to submit software capable of automatically monitoring social media channels for he purpose of detecting criminal activity. "Given the overwhelming volume of data generated on the Internet ... it is no surprise that the FBI is completely overwhelmed and unable to do any type of canvassing through basic human intervention," said Cornell's Tracy Mitrano.

http://www.technewsworld.com/story/74290.html

How quickly will such a project be turned from "monitoring" criminal activities to other areas of "observation".

Scenic Television is your ambient window to the world - - www.ScenicTelevision.com
sankt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2012, 22:36   #2
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to swingdjted Send a message via Yahoo to swingdjted
That's like putting cameras in your homes, except in the digital world. There are private places and public places on the internet. Private places should be allowed to stay private.

Don't forget to live before you die.
swingdjted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2012, 22:44   #3
sankt

See a pattern here ?

- Broad spectrum signal monitoring (Echelon)
- E Mail Monitoring ( Carnivore / NarusInsight )
- Warrant-less wiretaps
- Cell phone tracking (Carrier IQ)
- Social Media targeting

Scenic Television is your ambient window to the world - - www.ScenicTelevision.com
sankt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2012, 19:37   #4
rockouthippie
Banned

Yeah I see a pattern. This stuff isn't as secret as it used to be. Waterboarding? We've gotten kinder in our old age. 1960 would have found you strung out on acid, dipped in fat and fed to a German Shepherd.

We never would have heard about Gitmo 30 years ago or about any of the inmates that went there.... ever....

NarusInsight can't be used without a warrant. Your boss might have it installed though.

Cell phone tracking is being figured out in the courts. It's probably gonna need a warrant. If not, there is off.

Social media stuff.... I can't believe people will tell you there entire life story on the internet. Call me paranoid. Advertise your crime on Facebook? DUH!

Nah man. I think things are pretty good compared to what we were looking at 30 or 40 years ago. We're addressing this stuff. It's not as secret. Where there were no laws about this before, no accountability, and no public knowledge of anything.... we were in more trouble.

None of this stuff has anything to do with foreign countries. If you call a foreign country, you can be monitored by NSA or CIA without a warrant. Your email may be intercepted at will. There is no privacy in non-domestic communications. They can open your mail too.

So far, all we have is a few "accidental" intercepts of domestic communications during the Bush administration. The key intercepts were with a warrant issued by a FISA judge.

Obama signed that patriot act stuff. I'll bet that gave him a couple gray hairs. The guy is a liberal constitutional law professor. He's not 007. He said he didn't like it. I'll bet he didn't like it. Obama must think it's necessary.

If the wuss liberal law professor thinks it's necessary... you gotta take that into account.

Last edited by rockouthippie; 7th February 2012 at 20:41.
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions