Old 19th June 2013, 11:52   #1
mikehende

How to view music folders?

Hello, I don't have "playlists", I would like to load some folders of music located on my hard drive, so for example, I would like to see in the library my "Dance, Reggae, Rock, Pop" folders so I can easily change a folder without having to go to FILE in the toolbar then having to navigate to and select a folder on my HDD every time I wish to change the folder that's playing, is this possible please?
mikehende is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2013, 14:18   #2
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi mikehende,

From what I know about how Winamp currently works, nothing would be easier than what you are currently doing unless you make playlists of the songs from each folder, save them to the media library, and then be able to select the list of songs you want to hear.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Quinto Black CT v3.1 skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1909 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2013, 14:47   #3
mikehende

Ok, at least now I know, thanks.
Old 19th June 2013, 15:09   #4
DrO

or have everything in the library and create specific smartviews / queries to get the files wanted (which can be done against file paths or the preferred method of values in the file metadata - though that assumes everything is tagged correctly, etc). then like the library playlists option, you can drag /double-click the view to get it playing in the main playlist editor.
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2013, 23:55   #5
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi mikehende,

Playlists are not automatically updated as you add and remove songs in the folders. If you make frequent changes, deleting old lists and creating new ones (or modifying lists) can get to be a chore.

So having all your music files in the Winamp media library would be better than playlists and creating smartviews is easy once you get the hang of it. Creating a view for each of your file folder paths would guarantee that all files in the folders would be selected as you add and remove songs.

To get and keep all your current files in the library, go the General Preferences (Ctrl+P) - Media Library - Local Library - Watch Folders options. Add each of your folders (or just add the root folder, select it, click the "Edit selected" button and select the option to include sub-folders). Select the "Automatically remove missing files" option. Then decide how you want new additions to the folders added to the library. You can select one or more of the automatic scan options and/or use the "Rescan now" button to manually start a scan.

Sorry if you already know how to do Watch Folders, I don't mean to talk down to you. Just want to be sure you have all the related info. I'm not convinced that playlists or smartviews would be easier than what you are currently doing, but you now know the alternatives.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Quinto Black CT v3.1 skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1909 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2013, 10:40   #6
mikehende

Ok, noted, thanks for the info guys.
Old 20th June 2013, 11:36   #7
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

There IS a way to do some of what you are wanting. My music is organised on various PCs and hard disks in various folder based categories. The way I handle this in Winamp is to go into the Media Library's main view and add a column to the track list view.

Right click the column header and select Customise Columns. Now add the FILE PATH to your columns. Now if you click on this FILE PATH column header you can sort the whole library in order of your FOLDERS which then lets you make use of your own file system while keeping all the advantages of Winamp's search and filters.

For example. I have my FLACs stored in a folder called \\server\!public\music\FLAC\ so any time I want to listen to a FLAC version I just type FLAC into the search box and it filters everything else out. Ditto with my Soundtracks in \\server\!public\music\Soundtracks\

And so on.
Batter Pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support