Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp for Android

Old 19th April 2011, 18:00   #1
mario0318

Send a message via AIM to mario0318
One possible solution to Winamp's wireless sync problem

Like many others I've been getting alot of problems trying to have Winamp find my Android phone, with the even more annoying issue of it not being able to sync certain tracks while getting stuck at "Connecting..." during transfers.

I've found that the first issue where Winamp hardly saw the discoverable devices in Windows 7 had little if nothing to do with renaming your network adapters and everything to do with enabling Media Network Sharing. Ever since then Ive been able to both maintain all my network adapters enabled without being renamed AND Winamp now detects my Android with no glitch, albeit sometimes if Winamp is already open and you bring in the phone it may not automatically detect it, requiring you to close and reopen Winamp, but that happens rarely.

My top issue has been the tracks syncing to only get stuck at Connecting. Some of them go through and some don't. At first I figured it may have been a SD card format issue, since my Android formats the card in FAT32 by default, I thought maybe the issue with transfering the files may have been some sort of file or folder name limit. But that didn't make sense because Fat32 can support rather long file names.

Then I figured it may be related to certain characters found in the metadata of the files, and indeed this was the case. I was unable to sync any track that contained a colon ( : ) in ANY of its metadata fields, be it title, album track, comment, etc. If you have the same issue where your tracks are getting stuck at Connecting while some transfer just fine, try renaming whatever may have colon and get rid of it.

Winamp should really be in development for a fix on this. I'm considering this a temporary solution since I definitely cannot go on renaming all my files for the simple task of syncing them with my phone.

Anyway, a colon may not be the only character is has a problem with. If you guys know any other maybe you can list them just to get an idea.

In my lifetime, we've gone from Eisenhower to George W. Bush.
We've gone from John F. Kennedy to Al Gore.
If this is evolution in terms of leadership, I believe that in twelve years we'll be voting for plants.
mario0318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2011, 01:31   #2
CantHearYou

Oh thanks mario0318... This problem was driving me crazy and your solution worked here. Hope Winamp Developers correct this bug soon or i will have to rename all my music library to sync with wireless.
CantHearYou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2011, 23:10   #3
StephanePare

what exactly is media sharing and where do i enable it? I found no such option in winamp, and a google search refers me to windows media player somehow
StephanePare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2011, 00:11   #4
mario0318

I refer to the Windows 7 media streaming options, if youre on Windows 7 and you do a text search in your Start Menu for "media streaming", launch it. The window will tell you if Media streaming is on or not.

I should mention some recent findings, since I opened this thread a month ago. Even with media streaming on I still find that I must set up a wireless-friendly, system wide rule in my Android device in order to avoid having the wifi turn off while Winamp is open. Often times I do have to go to my android's Winamp and simply launch it in order for the winamp wifi sync service to run and stay on, then it shows up and works in my desktop Winamp. Sometimes I still have to close and relaunch both the desktop and android Winamp programs to get them recognized.

Still, this is a much better procedure to perform than what we had to do when the sync feature first came out, like disabling your local network adapters which I haven't had a need to do. It's very buggy and I still have the issue of some files not transferring over because its ID3 tag contains a colon.

If this is evolution in terms of leadership, I believe that in twelve years we'll be voting for plants.
Old 19th May 2011, 01:21   #5
StephanePare

thanks, i turned it on, i told it to auto-accept any and all devices, and i still can't detect my htc desire hd. I'm on the opening poage of winamp on my phone, wireless sync is enabled, and still when i click discover on my pc's winamp it doesnt work. I disabled all firewalls on my pc, router and modem, no go either. I only have 1 network device in my devices manager, so i'm at a loss of what is keeping my phone from getting acknowledged.
StephanePare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2011, 01:29   #6
mario0318

There are a couple of things you could still try. There is this thread http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?p=2715809 which has a few options you could try if you haven't already done so. For example, deleting the pmp_android.dll from the Winamp plugins directory could reset the configuration and make your device show up upon restarting the program. Or you can try launching it from the Winamp Agent notification tray icon and see if it discovers your device then.

You can also make sure that the wifi sync service is running on your phone. Go to Settings > Applications > Running services and look for the Winamp wifi sync process. If it's running then your device is set but keep an eye and check if there is no app task killer terminating the sync service.

Old 9th November 2011, 15:49   #7
texasmax

Single quote in album name field as well.
texasmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2012, 00:37   #8
sajattack

I ran into this today. This is a ridiculous issue that really needs to be fixed.
sajattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2012, 09:09   #9
irony78

Thanx mario0318! Good catch!

Weird the guys (and gals) of WinAmp haven't solved that yet...
irony78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2012, 12:14   #10
xlordvader

Found "EncoderSettings" tag using Mp3Tag software on my computer. Deleted the tag and it still won't work. WTF - That's a random bug. All my tags have just plain text. No special characters.

I really hate this Auto Wifi connection option for android. Why can't there be a manual connect to device option. It should show a list of devices that are saved on Winamp and allow for manual connection. The auto connection works sometimes and the other times its a pain in the ass..
xlordvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2012, 05:48   #11
wildwind

Hello Fellow sufferers !

Personally, I consider the Winamp wi-fi sync as not yet "fit for purpose".
Here is a summary of my findings. I am not sure this will help other members of this forum, but I hope catches the attention of the Winamp development team and be of some help to them.

- Problem
/ The transfer via USB works fine with several Adnroid devices I use. I recommend that alternative, but unfortunately that is not always possible - I have an Android media player that is far beyond the max length of a USB cable to connect to the PC where I keep all my music in .mp3 files. Wi-fi wold be the ideal solution, but it is not reliable enough.
/ I confirm the erratic on/off connection problems other member reported.
/ I confirm the problem with track names that contain a single quote (possibly other characters as well - see more bellow).
/ I confirm connection and transfer of tracks stops randomly (I couldn't find a recurrent reason).
/ I found that it is possible to transfer tracks/playlists to Android devices, even when Winamp is not running on the device, but that had a strange effect on the playlist
- I sent a playlist to the Android device with the first track "Ain't nobody" (Chaka Khan). The playlist had 16 tracks, but only that first one appeared later in the playlist on the Android media player, all other tracks had disappeared from the playlist.
- If Winamp was not running in the Android device when I transferred that playlist I mentioned above, I could see on the Widows PC I am using to send the playlist, that the playlist on the device had all tracks, but a few seconds after I started Winamp on the Android device, all tracks after "Ain't nobody" disappeared from the playlist.

My Temp fix
/ Fed-up with wi-fi transfer, I removed the hard-disk from the media player and transferred 38GB of tracks to it, organized as /artist/album/trackname. This is more reliable and much faster than wi-fi sync.
- IMPORTANT :- When I reconnect the hard-disk to the Android player, ANY .m3u found on the hard-disk is automatically "imported" as a Winamp playlist - Make sure the hard-disk doesn't have any .m3u files you do not want as a Winamp playlist (hard to get rid of them later).

Suggestion
/ I believe we can do the same with the SD card of an Android phone.
- Mount the card on the Windows PC
- Copy all tracks to the card.
- Create a folder on the PC with .m3u playlist files and copy that folder to the card. A few seconds after installing the card back in the phone and starting winamp, the playlists will be imported and appear in the phone.
/ I agree this not very pratical for those who change very often the music content of the phone.

Conclusion
Winamp wi-fi sync needs major improvement and I hope I have contributed to that with my comments.
wildwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2012, 05:35   #12
wildwind

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwind View Post
Hello Fellow sufferers !

Personally, I consider the Winamp wi-fi sync as not yet "fit for purpose".
Here is a summary of my findings. I am not sure this will help other members of this forum, but I hope catches the attention of the Winamp development team and be of some help to them.

- Problem
/ The transfer via USB works fine with several Adnroid devices I use. I recommend that alternative, but unfortunately that is not always possible - I have an Android media player that is far beyond the max length of a USB cable to connect to the PC where I keep all my music in .mp3 files. Wi-fi wold be the ideal solution, but it is not reliable enough.
/ I confirm the erratic on/off connection problems other member reported.
/ I confirm the problem with track names that contain a single quote (possibly other characters as well - see more bellow).
/ I confirm connection and transfer of tracks stops randomly (I couldn't find a recurrent reason).
/ I found that it is possible to transfer tracks/playlists to Android devices, even when Winamp is not running on the device, but that had a strange effect on the playlist
- I sent a playlist to the Android device with the first track "Ain't nobody" (Chaka Khan). The playlist had 16 tracks, but only that first one appeared later in the playlist on the Android media player, all other tracks had disappeared from the playlist.
- If Winamp was not running in the Android device when I transferred that playlist I mentioned above, I could see on the Widows PC I am using to send the playlist, that the playlist on the device had all tracks, but a few seconds after I started Winamp on the Android device, all tracks after "Ain't nobody" disappeared from the playlist.

My Temp fix
/ Fed-up with wi-fi transfer, I removed the hard-disk from the media player and transferred 38GB of tracks to it, organized as /artist/album/trackname. This is more reliable and much faster than wi-fi sync.
- IMPORTANT :- When I reconnect the hard-disk to the Android player, ANY .m3u found on the hard-disk is automatically "imported" as a Winamp playlist - Make sure the hard-disk doesn't have any .m3u files you do not want as a Winamp playlist (hard to get rid of them later).

Suggestion
/ I believe we can do the same with the SD card of an Android phone.
- Mount the card on the Windows PC
- Copy all tracks to the card.
- Create a folder on the PC with .m3u playlist files and copy that folder to the card. A few seconds after installing the card back in the phone and starting winamp, the playlists will be imported and appear in the phone.
/ I agree this not very pratical for those who change very often the music content of the phone.

Conclusion
Winamp wi-fi sync needs major improvement and I hope I have contributed to that with my comments.
Update:-

I found a work around the problems found when trying to sync playlists from Winamp PC and Winamp Android. The files are transferred correctly, but not the play lists themselves.

Here is what I have done :
/ Connected Android phone to PC with USD.
/ Created folder "My Music" (or any other name) in the Phone and copied all tracks I want in the phnone with format \artist\album\trackname from the PC to the phone (this is very fast).
/ I had all my playlists, created in the classic format .m3u by an older media player. - This is just a text file which can be created "by hand" with a text editor and one line per playlist entry, in the format \path\trackname, example:
(C:\My Music\Phil Collins\But Seriously\09 All Of My Life.mp3)
/ I created a folder "My Playlists" in the phone and copied all .m3u playlists to that folder.
/ Disconnected USB
/ Turned the phone OFF for a minute.
/ Turned the phone ON and started Winamp (this forced winamp to re-scan all files, everywhere in the phone) looking for playlists. ATTENTION ! This may take a few minutes.
/ Presto ! When a tiny circle in a corner of winamp stops spinning, all playlists appear, very neatly in alphabetical sequence (winamp has no way to do this otherwise).
/ Now, every time I want to remove a playlist, I just connect to USB and remove that playlist from folder "My Playlists", to change a playlist, I overwrite the file in the phone with the updated playlist and to add I just transfer the new .m3u file to the phone.

Very easy and much faster than trying to sync via wi-fi. At least until Winamp fixes this issue.

What I think happens:
/ Winamp stores the playlist in an internal database, instead of just as text files.
/ Winamp is good at finding and reading old style .m3u playlists and updating it's database with data extracted from those text files - It does this every time you switch the phone OFF and ON again.
/ Winamp is not working properly when it syncs it's database in the PC with it's database in the phone.

I hope this helped someone.

Merry Christmas !
wildwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp for Android

Tags
sync, wi-fi