Old 18th April 2013, 17:50   #1
puehri

Synchronize Playlist with File

It would be nice, if i can sync a playlist with a file.
First I import a playlist (screenshot001/002/003).
After a few days i want to add some new tracks to the playlist and easlily add it to the active playlist. I´m saving the playlist via Ctrl+s to Best.m3u.
Then it would be nice, if there´s a button to sync the playlist (screenshot004) with the playlistfile (screenshot004_2).

This means it loads data from the new edited file and replaces the old playlist.

Automatically load an edited file would also be nice
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenShot001.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	9.1 KB
ID:	50436   Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenShot004_2.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	50438   Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenShot002.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	2.5 KB
ID:	50439   Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenShot004.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	9.7 KB
ID:	50440   Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenShot003.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	4.0 KB
ID:	50441  

puehri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2013, 12:07   #2
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Why not just use the playlist editor to load your "best.m3u" playlist, make a change, then save it back on top of the "best.m3u"?
Batter Pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2013, 17:01   #3
puehri

I´m changing the active playlist regularly and i want to change between the playlists via the playlists on the left. They have to be latest, as i saved them before.
Everytime I import the playlist, it loads it and adds it to existing playlists(see attachment). I don´t want tho add my playlist from the file, and delete the old playlist, i imported before.

I hope you understand my problem.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ScreenShot005.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	2.9 KB
ID:	50455  
Old 22nd April 2013, 18:40   #4
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

I don't use playlists enough to be able to help you. If saving the same playlist list on top of the old one doesn't work for you, then I am not sure how to do what you want to.

Are you the kind of person who can hack xml files? Check out %appdata%\Winamp\plugins\ml\playlists\playlists.xml and you will see the list of playlists that appear on the left of the screen there.

This is also the folder where those playlists are copied to. Maybe you can move this folder to somewhere more accessible to you. Then update the playlists that way? I know I have heard of people changing the names of the playlists in playlists.xml to match their own naming scheme on the hard disk.

I can assist with this if you want?

(note - the paths above from from Beta 5.7. Before the beta the playlists were just dumped in the level above)
Old 23rd April 2013, 19:38   #5
puehri

Hey,

thanx for helping, but I don´t want to write a program that automatically updates playlist.xml.
I don´t know how to move the file, while winamp knows where to look for the file.
I´ve attached a *.jpg where you can see what i want.

--> add 2.: Load=Synchronize
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ScreenShot006_2.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	50461  
Old 23rd April 2013, 19:44   #6
DrO

in the library playlist view, use 'manage playlist' -> 'import active playlist' and that will get from right to left (not automated but it does achieve what you sort of want).
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2013, 17:08   #7
puehri

OK. I think i have to be more precise (or improve my english).
Here is a normal process I want to do:
  1. Select "Best" playlist --> Is now the active playlist
  2. Change active playlist
  3. Save it to Best.m3u
  4. Select "Base" --> is now the active playlist
  5. Select Best --> Should be latest. Is old version of playlist. See 1.

An easier way (for programming) would be synchronizing the playlist before selecting it.

I don´t want to import the active playlist, because it just adds it to the existing ones.

I hope this is clear enough
Old 24th April 2013, 17:20   #8
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

I realise we do have a challenge here with the language barrier. And yes, we can see what you are trying to do now.

But you also need to try and understand the answers we are trying to give.

We can get there. (I wish I could speak ANY language as well as you are speaking English...)

What you are asking is not possible in the current configuration of Winamp. BUT one of the above methods can be used to make something work for you.

I think your best option is to look at what DrO has suggested as this is the quickest way to get to what you want to do. Yes, you may not like clicking the DELETE button but that is the only simple option open to you. And it works. It just requires that extra button press from you each time. You'll soon get into the habit.

Or... we can spend a little more time changing the layout of Winamp. I can assist in teaching you how to take control of the playlists from a low level. And then you will be able to exactly what you are requesting. BUT we need to hack Winamp a little bit to manage this for you.
Old 25th April 2013, 15:45   #9
puehri

Ok
show me how to hack winamp pls

P.S.: I thought this is "Winamp Wishlist".
The way i do it now is: saving the playlist, then "import playlist from file" and then delete the old version of the playlist one.
Old 25th April 2013, 16:09   #10
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Ah - I didn't realise this was a wishlist thing. I don't usually click on this bit of the forum. But, if I have it right in my head, your wish is about to be granted...

I am going to go and have a quick play with the current Beta to make sure what I am about to suggest makes sense. And then I'll return to explain. (Or be told off by a Dev telling me I am breaking their design... hehehe....)

The main idea of the trick is... moving Winamp's own Playlist folder to somewhere easier for you to save your own playlists to. This will also involve a small bit of editing of file names in that XML file so that they are less "auto generated" and more "human readable".

By looking at your screenshot you have a small collection of "best" playlists that you like to update a lot. If this is just five or six then my suggestion should work well for you.

The first thing to do is to go find the 5.7 Beta. Download and install this. Doesn't seem to be crashy at all and has been a good experience using it. The reason I am pointing you to the beta is that playlists are handled slightly differently in there to the older 5.6
Old 25th April 2013, 16:14   #11
DrO

before doing _any_ of that (which will likely work by changing the m3u directory in paths.ini though manually changing the playlist stored in playlists.xml is simpler and more reliable), i'd wait to see what happens for 5.7 final as having Winamp just use the original playlist instead of making a new one (when importing) should be enough for what is needed and keeps cropping up so has merit to be dealt with now (assuming i can wiggle some time in for it since it's a simpler change than other things being requested elsewhere).
Old 25th April 2013, 16:24   #12
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

DrO you are reading my mind as to the hacking around I was about to do. So I will wait a bit to see what 5.7 final does and then return here.

Meanwhile - a quick question for you. Why are there no linefeeds in playlists.xml? It makes it kinda tricky to edit. Or even read in something like notepad++

I guess the answer is that humans should not really be reading the file... but my response to that is I am not fully human...
Old 25th April 2013, 16:29   #13
DrO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batter Pudding View Post
I guess the answer is that humans should not really be reading the file...
pretty much that (as far as internal handling of the file goes, it doesn't need line feeds so it doesn't generate them) and i like saving bytes in files where possible :evilgrin:
Old 25th April 2013, 16:38   #14
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Ahh... of course. The minimal byte chase. You're a real programmer and not one of those .NET "eat up the RAM" fools.

I just tested and noticed that the important thing to me is that I didn't break the XML file when I whacked in lots of linefeeds with notepad++. (I replaced <playlist with \n<playlist so I could read it). And, of course, Winamp happily read in the file, ignored my linefeeds, and then cleaned them up when writing them back to the disk.

Nice code. Now I'll go away and stop distracting you.
Old 25th April 2013, 16:49   #15
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
i'd wait to see what happens for 5.7 final as having Winamp just use the original playlist instead of making a new one (when importing) should be enough for what is needed and keeps cropping up so has merit to be dealt with now (assuming i can wiggle some time in for it since it's a simpler change than other things being requested elsewhere).
I'm not fully awake yet, but want to be sure I'm understanding this.

In the 5.7 final, when importing library playlist(s) with the same name(s) and location(s) of any existing list(s), then the existing list name(s) will be maintained instead of the imported list name(s) being added as if they are new list(s).

If I got it right, then this is a good change, imo.

Winamp Pro 5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2013, 17:07   #16
DrO

all i'm considering doing is instead of making a cloned copy of the playlist on import, if an option is checked to use the original version, then it'll use that and trying to re-import should cause it to skip over doing anything.
Old 25th April 2013, 17:58   #17
puehri

This would be nice
Old 25th April 2013, 18:01   #18
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
all i'm considering doing is instead of making a cloned copy of the playlist on import, if an option is checked to use the original version, then it'll use that and trying to re-import should cause it to skip over doing anything.
Ok, not quite what I thought. But anything to help keep the library listing from filling up with the latest update of a playlist and multiple older copies of the same playlist, is an improvement.

So to import/re-import the latest updated list with this new option enabled, the existing version must be deleted first. This is what I currently do now, so an option like this would only enforce this practice.

Winamp Pro 5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2013, 20:05   #19
DrO

if you'd already imported the playlist, there's nothing to know where it came from so yes it'd make a seeming duplicate / new entry in that case. otherwise if i can get it done in time, then when you import the playlist, all that happens is it'd store the path in playlists.xml so any changes are made to the original (which seems to be what is wanted).
Old 25th April 2013, 20:37   #20
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Thanks. That sounds rather neat. Updating playlists in their original location is handy. This means that we can store our playlists anywhere we like, and therefore save them back to those locations easily. Certainly sounds like it will solve OP's problems.

Remember to handle berks like me who will have a playlist sitting on a Read Only server which cannot be updated. (I'll test this for you when next Beta out)

(I also have a few other test thoughts to check with this change. Like the auto-imported playlists from a newly ripped CD.)

And I assume you have realised all the disk space you will save? No more duplicated playlists. As well as less need of long paths inside the playlists when they are auto-imported from the CDs. Now there will be one absolute path to the playlist and that playlist then will have relative paths in it.

Yay!! Bytes saved
Old 25th April 2013, 20:49   #21
DrO

well it's been possible to do what was wanted, just there hasn't been a nice ui way to do it and messing around with files (which can change as we've seen) isn't something people should be having to do.

read-only handling should be ok with things, it'll just give you a warning on leaving the view from what i remember fixing it to do months back.

this won't have any effect on auto-generated playlists within Winamp, this is just for the import actions via the ml_playlists ui (changing other things is more work and time than i want to even attempt and is outside of the scope of most of the 'requests' for using the original playlist for things.

only downside is if the external playlist gets removed / location changes and then it needs to be re-found / removed. but then that's the same if people mess around inside of the settings folder, etc. so that's likely something which would have to be improved post 5.7 (as there will be a 5.71, just because that's how things go, heh).
Old 25th April 2013, 21:52   #22
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Cool. That makes sense. I'll still try and break the beta for you anyway - gives me an excuse to mess around with playlists more.
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Wishlist

Tags
autmatically, playlist, sync, synchronize