Sometimes 9 36.00%
A lot 7 28.00%
I only go to the store if I can't help it. 7 28.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 22nd December 2009, 07:16   #1
rockouthippie
Banned

Online shopping

It seems like among my nerdly friends that I am probably the most prolific cyber shopper of people I know. My experience is pretty good with a lot of different vendors. Ebay has had some problems here and there, but nothing worse than would happen in a retail store. Usually problems have been resolved amicably. Amazon, Target, Costco, Ebay, even Safeway for groceries...

Most of the time, when I want something these days, I order it. I didn't go shopping for Christmas by leaving the house. I sat at my desk and got just about as good a deal as if I camped on Black Friday. It's the first time I exclusively ordered everything on the internet for Christmas... it's all either here or sent.. cool.

You mean get up, get in the car and go to the store? Nah. Punch a button. No video store. Online rentals. I bought a lot of new furniture, flatware, dishes, cookware, a TV, a BD player, a DSLR..... I don't miss the store.
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2009, 07:28   #2
Psythik
Got his CT back
and didn't pay $10
(Forum King)

Just about anything I could possibly want I buy online (save for groceries). The only time I buy things from a store is when I absolutely must have it today and don't mind spending the extra dough to get it.

With that being said, there is one exception: a thrift store about 10 miles from me. They have a decent selection of electronics (amongst other things) at prices so low, sometimes I wonder if they're stolen. I once bought a nice glassware set for $5 from that place. If they had a larger variety of stuff I'd probably have less of a reason to shop online.

This is a sig of some nature.
Psythik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2009, 13:17   #3
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

Outside of groceries, all my shopping is done online mainly due to my geographic location and distance to civilization.
ElChevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2009, 14:02   #4
rockouthippie
Banned

I haven't lived in the sticks for 17 years (pre-internet). I could see that not having to drive 50 or 100 miles to a "real" town for stuff would make that existence much more pleasant.
Old 23rd December 2009, 10:26   #5
! 2 !

Used paypal just once to buy book from one site,other than that never used paypal for shopping.
! 2 ! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2009, 18:11   #6
Warrior of the Light
Forum King

Only if I can't get stuff the normal way

Jesus loves you [yes, you] so much, he even died for you so that you will not need to die, but live forever
Warrior of the Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2009, 20:13   #7
NJK
Forum Frisian

sometimes

but only for tickets for concerts and cd's

Darkwave radio 24/7 --
-----------------------------------
Each Thursday a new show on Celtica Radio with Darkwave music.
NJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2009, 20:35   #8
hgnis
Hobbit Humper
Forum King

Use online ordering mainly for books, and occasional clothes /small electronics. Not big on major purchases unless I can try them out before.

I am so important I feel the need to let it be known like a liberal discovering the internets for the first time. Uh hur hur hur. I also wash myself with a rag on a stick.
Realitybites
<3
hgnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2009, 00:27   #9
deeder7001
Jesus Freak
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to deeder7001 Send a message via Yahoo to deeder7001
I buy most of my computer stuff from Newegg. That is the only place I shop online. Everything else I get at the actual store. Helps to get me out of the house occasionally.

There is no sig.
deeder7001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2009, 09:52   #10
ShyShy
Amazon Bush Woman
Forum Queen

ebay for the win!!!
ShyShy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2009, 12:37   #11
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by hgnis
Not big on major purchases unless I can try them out before.
I used to think that was important, but for a lot of stuff the web provides reviews; like with cameras and electronics.

Furniture worked out good from Costco, sight unseen. So did an HDTV. A freezer from Home Despot.... fine...

I guess I do shop for clothes at the store, but the online items I've ordered have worked out fine too.
Old 3rd January 2010, 21:54   #12
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to swingdjted Send a message via Yahoo to swingdjted
Quote:
Originally posted by ElChevelle
Outside of groceries, all my shopping is done online mainly due to my geographic location and distance to civilization.
Same story here, but I tire of shipping costs.

Don't forget to live before you die.
swingdjted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2010, 01:34   #13
ujay
Forum King

I do a lot of shopping on line, it's far less trouble.

You can always be sure of what you're getting is why I like it most.
I've just bought some P strip(draught excluder)and I know if I'd gone out looking for it I could have traipsed around half a dozen places before I found it.

So, it's pretty much groceries for me as well, even then I can't always get the marmalade I like.

UJ
ujay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2010, 07:51   #14
jimmy32

i don't like online shopping
jimmy32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2010, 12:26   #15
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to k_rock923
A lot. Even clothes if it's something I'm replacing and know that the size will fit me. The only obvious exception is groceries.

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
k_rock923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2010, 00:35   #16
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

I even have to get certain groceries from http://netgrocer.com/ sometimes because of how limited the inventories are in stores around here are.

Clothes are great online - I do a lot with llbean.com, and usually get everything free with rewards from their visa card which I use to buy just about everything I spend money on.

Old 20th October 2010, 19:21   #17
beargy
Banned

I do some shopping online, usually for clothes and sometimes for electronics ... I just find it easier and the cost is usually a little less, even if taking into account s/h and tax
beargy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2010, 19:52   #18
mike-db
Pancakes!
(Major Dude)

Send a message via ICQ to mike-db
I do all my shopping at the gas station 10 km away from my house! They have everything! Beer, smokes, gas, diesel, a subway even! Don't forget coffee, candy, mostly booze but yeah. Everything!

SEX APPEAL UP IN HERE!
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
mike-db is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2010, 15:38   #19
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

Send a message via Yahoo to Too-DAMN-Much
i try to avoid it if at all possible, it's slower and harder to return things if i need to.

I hate everyone, so you don't have to.
Too-DAMN-Much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2010, 11:33   #20
fanhost

I love to do online shopping..!!!
fanhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2010, 14:47   #21
cooky560
Major Dude

Send a message via MSN to cooky560 Send a message via Yahoo to cooky560 Send a message via Skype™ to cooky560
Almost always, I even order my groceries online because I can have a favourite basket and they get delivered to my house at a timeslot I choose. Much cheaper than going into town and much easier

Cooky560 - Making Pointless Posts since 8/12/ 2002

WWW.
Victory Requires no explanation, defeat allows none.
All that Evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing
cooky560 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2010, 15:16   #22
rockouthippie
Banned

I'd have to say that my experience ordering groceries online has been pretty good. Albertsons here quit doing it. Safeway is a kind of high price replacement.

Meat has been better than what you find in the case, and more varied. It's pretty cool to sit down and remember everything you needed over a few hours, rather than trying to get the hell out of the grocery store.

Safeway charges like $13, but I'm not sure I don't save it in getting sales and not forgetting anything. Safeway is kinda high too, but ???
Old 27th November 2010, 17:30   #23
baafie
feminazi
(Major Dude)

Doing groceries online is problematic here -- you they usually screw up your order, and you pay a lot more, and they usually get you the fresh stuff that's almost gone bad. Doing shopping yourself can certainly be unpleasant -- especially on Saturdays, when people bring their young children -- but if you avoid the brat times, it's a worthwhile tradeoff.
baafie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2010, 21:16   #24
cooky560
Major Dude

Send a message via MSN to cooky560 Send a message via Yahoo to cooky560 Send a message via Skype™ to cooky560
the best online store I've found is ASDA

Cooky560 - Making Pointless Posts since 8/12/ 2002

WWW.
Victory Requires no explanation, defeat allows none.
All that Evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing
cooky560 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2010, 02:29   #25
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

ok i may have slightly lied before, i do notice one thing i tend to buy on the internet pretty regularly, cell phones.

i won't as a rule buy really much of anything without a chance to manipulate it in person however, this is still the rule with cell phones, my iphone 3g, i basically got it after toying around with my mom's when she got one and that sold me on it, the droid x i'm thinking about i'll definitely go and fondle one in person beforehand though.

online shopping isn't too bad and in some cases like when you're looking for a new cell, you'll find deals that just aren't to be had in the physical realms, but the monitor can lie, i just can't trust products to be what they claim/hope to be without giving it at least a good quick gnawing on in person to make sure.

then again, i'll probably do my holiday gift list shopping mostly online, i guess i'm more particular about my stuff, but then again i found some great ideas on thinkgeek and other online only places too, also i've bought stuff from them before and been delighted with it, so.... i guess to a point not having a physical store for me to come see your wares at my presumed "face value" after interacting with them hurts online stores because it's much harder for them to get the old proverbial digital foot in the door than it is my physical foot into their real door to be positive.

Old 1st December 2010, 09:52   #26
fanhost

You have given great information..I like it..!!
fanhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2011, 19:27   #27
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
Doing groceries online is problematic here -- you they usually screw up your order, and you pay a lot more, and they usually get you the fresh stuff that's almost gone bad. Doing shopping yourself can certainly be unpleasant -- especially on Saturdays, when people bring their young children -- but if you avoid the brat times, it's a worthwhile tradeoff.
I just tried Safeway.com. Safeway is kinda high, but I did get all the specials, avoided impulse buys, and got really great stuff. Just showed up. The produce is perfect. The meat is perfect. You can tell this stuff got packed right at the warehouse without getting banged around in a store. Beautiful bing cherries. Mmmm..... I got some lamb shoulder chops. Wonderful meat. Noted I was out of mint jelly, which I would have thought I had some.... one more store trip. The milk is dated 3 weeks ahead.

You can start an order for the next day and modify it until 3am. I forgot I needed dishwashing detergent until 2am. That saved me a trip. And you can just punch up everything that's on sale. I did seem to remember everything I forgot on the last 3 in store trips.

I think with the $10 shipping charge (or $7 for over $150)... heck with getting in the rig. They screwed up the order. I got a case of bottled water for free?

I don't mind little brats. I like people under 30

Still, they'res got to be a decent online grocer. Even in the Netherlands where cyclists might not want to haul 200lbs of groceries. I would think especially there.
Old 4th January 2011, 22:47   #28
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

When I lived in a bigger city, I used to shop at strange night/morning hours at 24hr supermarkets, just because it was nice and peaceful - no one there except a bunch of floor buffing people and stock boys. When it came time to check out, 3 people would come and help because I was the only one in there.

I still only buy groceries online when it's hard-to-find stuff since our small-town markets are very limited in selection. Almost everything else I order online, except maybe gasoline.

Old 5th January 2011, 00:27   #29
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swingdjted View Post
except maybe gasoline.
that could very well be a dangerous except ted... don't give anyone ideas

gas-ass-rapery prices + shipping swindling = you, fucked.

Old 5th January 2011, 05:45   #30
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

It's not too far from the truth. We heat our place with firewood almost all the time, but when we're too busy to maintain a fire, we have a heating oil furnace as backup, especially for when we're out for a while and can't keep the fire going enough to keep the pipes from freezing. Heating oil is basically tax-free diesel fuel. I order that online when I'm running low and a truck comes and fills our tanks. Not gasoline, but close. Most farmers around here order their diesel fuel for tractors and other equipment online the same way.

Old 6th January 2011, 15:09   #31
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
I still only buy groceries online when it's hard-to-find stuff since our small-town markets are very limited in selection. Almost everything else I order online, except maybe gasoline.
I lived in the sticks, but if you've got a Safeway, you're good to go. At least in Pendleton, you'd just go ask the Safeway manager, and he'd usually get you anything you want. You could get anything you could get in a big town, you just had to wait a week. I figured this out when I hadn't seen a steamer clam in a couple years or a pomegranate.

I think they figure, if you want it, somebody else would too. That's a town of about 20,000. If you are smaller ????
Old 6th January 2011, 15:24   #32
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

yeah safeway is pretty good about special ordering stuff if you ask

the fucking thriftway near here however can't even figure out how to keep Jolt in stock.... which they carry.... when they luck into pulling their asses out of their heads, at least that's how i assume it appears there sporadically as it does.

Old 6th January 2011, 15:46   #33
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
Heating oil is basically tax-free diesel fuel.
Chemically identical, except for the dye. That tells whether the road tax has been paid on it.

I liked oil heat. I had a 400 gallon tank, so I could skip a winter of filling it, probably 2. I did buy oil if I noticed it was cheap too.
Old 7th January 2011, 04:49   #34
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

lol 20,000...

Our town has 900 people (very small food mart), but about 30 miles away there's a town of about 4,000 but still no real supermarket, just a small grocery store.

The house came with two standard 275-gal. tanks in the basement for heating oil. We don't really need that much though since firewood does most of the work.

Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions