Old 12th January 2002, 18:12   #41
chaseskip

iPAQ

LOL... Maybe Compaq will send you one for promotional purposes...

Chris
chaseskip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2002, 22:46   #42
jsss

server and streaming

I have an mp3 server with around 7,000 songs. I am using wireless networking on my iPaq. I would love the ability to stream to the device. This would give me a nice selection of songs on a portable that I could use anywhere around my house or 2 acre yard.

I already use the iPaq for complete home automation including control of all lights, sprinklers, home entertainment center and winamp. The winamp control is only for accessing winamp on the PC I connect to. And while I can blast winamp through the stereo, sometimes my wife wants quiet. But headphones on an iPaq sound unbelievable. The sound subsystem of the iPaq is rated higher than most sound blaster models.

Streaming winamp through the iPaq would also allow me to go from the iPaq into a stereo out by the pool. I dont want to install a computer at this locations because of the unsecure nature of the location.

Does anyone know of another audio program for pocketpc that can play shoutcast streams?
jsss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2002, 07:55   #43
seamonkey420

Have you ever used an Ipaq Curious?

Hello. i was just bored tonight and was (like anyone who owns a ipaq or pocket pc) looking/hoping for a winamp port. I was reading the earlier comments on this forum and found myself laughing because of a few peoples ignorance or unwillingness to see what a pocket pc can do. a question to those who are against a port of winamp to pocket pc, have you ever used a pocket pc before? They are sweet. I watch divx movies between my classes, listen to mp3s walking to my classes, write notes, sync my email and excel worksheets. and the best, compact flash is getting cheaper. i got 128mb for $40 (including shipping) Plus, mp3 players still cost too much and you can like earlier mentioned, convert a harddrive to be used with a pocket pc (involves some computer know-how but very cool.. your better off just getting a Mp3-playing CD player instead of just an mp3 player. I had a rio300 when they first came out and it was cool, but if you giong to spend over $200 on just a mp3 player, why not have a movie player, word/excel editor/viewer, and more for just anotehr $80 ?? oh well.. i am boring ya all and i just want to say one thing:

PLEASE PORT WINAMP 3 TO US POCKET PC USERS!!! PLEASE!
i've used winamp since version 1.1 and will always love it, so please??

peace
seamonkey420

-iPAQ 3635, geeks unite!
seamonkey420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2002, 15:32   #44
nerdyklown

hi! i just got myself an ipaq 3765 and i was wondering if there's a winamp for ppc. i've read the messages and got the urge to post a message myself. looks like it's all against one. i don't see the logic in the reasoning that "it's better to buy an mp3 player separately instead of having winamp in my pocketpc just like it's better to have a cellphone and a pocketpc separately." if that's the case, then we should all just buy an audio system with an mp3 player instead of using winamp in our desktop pc's to play our music files! for pete's sake it's a pocketpc! a personal computer that fits in a pocket! why don't we exploit it's power?!? i believe that we pocketpc owners bought the device because we want to do things done in a desktop pc while we're on the go (without having to bring a bulky laptop computer). and that includes playing our favorite songs! some people just don't understand that we prefer carrying just one device that does it all instead of carrying a lot of gadgets. just like using our desktop pc's to perform multiple tasks like watching movies and playing music. pocketpc's are improving now and cf cards are getting cheaper and are being developed to have greater capacities. i think it's about time that winamp be ported to pocketpc's. almost all the applications i frequently use are being ported to pocketpc (ACDSee, CAD softwares, digital audio sampler/mixer for our band, games, etc.) so why not this one? we're really bored by windows media's boring looks, limited media type support, poor controls. so please! please make a winamp for pocketpc's.
nerdyklown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2002, 18:21   #45
psycho_maniac
Major Dude

what is up

hey i got a 20 gig mp3 player and it rules i already got 48 cds on the thing and i use winamp to creat the cds cuz im sopposed to use mm (musicmatch ) but i hate using it and i love winamp it rules i have it to open when my puter turns on thats cool
psycho_maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2002, 18:25   #46
Merlin
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
(Forum King)

Invasion of teh killer n00bs

armed with i-Paq ppcs

Seriously, what's the deal?

as he faced the sun, he cast no shadow
Merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2002, 06:59   #47
liquidmotion
Smokes Two Joints
Beta Team

Send a message via ICQ to liquidmotion
Quote:
Originally posted by Nofx Guy
hmm it will be possible when we get quantum computers!!!!! YEAH COMPUTERS SUPER TINY THAT ARE MILLIONS OF TIMES MORE POWERFUL THAN THE COMPUTERS WE HAVE!!

sorry i just read timeline
i just finished that book earlier today (awesome read)!

and it's BILLIONS, not MILLIONS! instead of using binary, which has two states (1,0 ; open,close), a quantum computer uses all thirty-two states of the atom(i believe), making it BILLIONS of times more powerful than anything we currently have on the market.

i love quantum physics and stuff

For a good time: shup | stashbox | my homepage
liquidmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2002, 13:48   #48
Curi0us_George
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to Curi0us_George Send a message via Yahoo to Curi0us_George
Quote:
Originally posted by liquidmotion

i just finished that book earlier today (awesome read)!

and it's BILLIONS, not MILLIONS! instead of using binary, which has two states (1,0 ; open,close), a quantum computer uses all thirty-two states of the atom(i believe), making it BILLIONS of times more powerful than anything we currently have on the market.

i love quantum physics and stuff
If I understand, they use the 4 possible phases of a particle, but it's been quite a while since I've read a quantum physics book or read about quantum computers.

For the freedom to express myself in my own way without fear of being censored or banned.

47 65 6C 61 65 64 2E 63 6F 6D 00
Curi0us_George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2002, 01:55   #49
reggiek945

stream mp3 using your pocketpc

jsss,

There is a way to stream mp3 using your pocketpc. I don't know if you know this yet but there is a program called pocket player. you can find it at www.conduits.com/ce/ also you will need the program pocket lan. pocket lan lets you share your PC with your PDA. It's a great program and you can find it at www.handango.com The reason I pick "pocket player" is becuase it seems to be the best player over the wireless LAN. I've tried others and they do not work as well. pocket player is seamless with no skips no matter what I do to it. Let me know what you think after you have tried these options.
reggiek945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2002, 06:44   #50
jjp5421

Shoutcast on PocketPC is the real reason

I have 196MB on my iPaq which is mainly MP3's, but with an 802.11b wireless NIC connected to it I really am jonesing for a shoutcast client. The 365 client is supposed to work, with some rigging, but nothing beats the tiny, efficient winamp interface (and everything beats WMP).

I think the real solution is loading Linux on my iPaq and using xmms.
Jeff
jjp5421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2002, 07:14   #51
jjp5421

reply to nerdyklown

I The people against a port of Winamp to PocketPC are the people without a PocketPC.

They might also be the people that you see carrying their full tower, homebuilt Athlon machines, with 75 fans to Friday and Saturday night LAN parties/mini-star trek conventions.

Personally, after reading their advice I have converted back to singing instead of listening to music. It turns out that this is much more efficient, and spares the Nullsoft crew of concentrating on anything but improvements to the Nullsoft Web Browser (which I have now made my default browser since it is so chic to hate anything MS).

Really and truly people, Winamp is the premier MP3 player. I have used dedicated MP3 devices and excluding the iPod none of these seem to have thought about the Human Interface, or seemed to care if they produced a good product. Imagine if you could combine your PDA (that you most likely have no choice to carry) with the best MP3 player available netting 1 device and 2 uses.

This is what myself and many others wish for. If it is impossible, I understand. If it is not, it would be greatly appreciated.

I would love to be able to listen to shoutcast anywhere on my campus (via 802.11b on a PocketPC iPaq)

JJP

Note: Please do not send me death threats because of the LAN Party and Star Trek comments. I was trying to make a point… We are all geeks to some level (posting and reading community messages on an MP3 players web site is not traditionally considered the activity of a bad @$$).
Old 21st May 2002, 07:18   #52
Avalon
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to Avalon
Quote:
Originally posted by guidogabriele

it has 16 megs onboard + a 64 meg MMC card, so it actually has more mem than my old Rio had.
okay, forgive me for being late on this one, buuut... why not just screw the pocketpc all together (it's pretty much like playing MP3's on the sony Clie, useless), and just get a riovolt, I mean it's cheaper than a pocketpc AND is plays, CD's, MP3's (off of CD-R and RW's), and the top of the line one costs about... $250.00. Although if you're buying it for just a CD player... spend the $20 and get a cd player.
Avalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2002, 07:21   #53
Avalon
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to Avalon
Re: reply to nerdyklown

Quote:
Originally posted by jjp5421

Note: Please do not send me death threats because of the LAN Party and Star Trek comments. I was trying to make a point? We are all geeks to some level (posting and reading community messages on an MP3 players web site is not traditionally considered the activity of a bad @$$).
Wait, it isn't? But the guy around the street corner told me it was. He lied to me... LIED... LAIR!

I feel soo... violated.
Avalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2002, 07:21   #54
jjp5421

Reason for PocketPC

My job issues me a PocketPC and I am busy enough to actually need it (treeware was making me late for many meetings). So since I am carrying it anyway, why not make it a kick@$$ MP3 player/shoutcast client?
Old 2nd June 2002, 08:35   #55
modifiedbears

i've seen too many ignorant posts from people who probably don't even own a pocketpc to not say anything. you go ahead and carry around your lil rio chit or other mp3 player. i'll carry my pocket pc around and listen to mp3s plus surf the web, watch movies, play my emulators(nes, etc..), keep phone numbers, appointments, important notes and much more while you amaze yourself with the number of songs your rio holds but guess what?!??! you'll never sit there and listen to 40 cds in a row so what is the point? oh yea the point is your stupid.

to the moron who said they only have 32 megs or memory or whatever. that is why the have these things called "compact flash cards". 512 megs or 1 gig. prices are always dropping.
modifiedbears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2002, 22:15   #56
Kimmo Jaskari

Well, at the moment at least it is possible to play MP3's fairly well on the Pocket PC, using Pocket Divx. The interface is a crime against humanity and its anything but stable but at least I haven't had the latest version balk at playing back MP3 files. It even has a software equalizer built-in which is somewhat useful.

It's still a far cry from Winamp though.

As for all the people advocating separate devices instead of using a Pocket PC - the point of it is to be able to avoid carrying more than one device. At the moment I'm carrying my Pocket PC and a mobile phone and its already a bit of a pain. Having to haul a third device has all the appeal of a root canal.

The Pocket PC's can do everything from basic calendar and to-do stuff through serious work (if you add a foldable keyboard for example) to watching movies, reading e-books and yes, listening to music.

The convenience of always having it with you and having it centralized is what makes it so useful. Even two or three cd's worth of music when you get it for "free" in that you don't have to carry anything extra rather than what you already were going to take is great.

It's like e-books; I keep several available on the machine so I know if I ever get to some of life's inevitable "down times" like having to wait somewhere etc, I always have something to do. It costs me nothing to have them there since I always carry the Pocket PC anyway, whereas two or three paperbacks would be a pain in the butt to carry around... so I wouldn't do it.

With Pocket Divx I can at least use the machine to listen to music, but I would cheerfully part with money for something that was winamp-slick and worked right on the Pocket PC.
Kimmo Jaskari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2002, 14:28   #57
Curi0us_George
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to Curi0us_George Send a message via Yahoo to Curi0us_George
Quote:
Originally posted by modifiedbears
i've seen too many ignorant posts from people who probably don't even own a pocketpc to not say anything. you go ahead and carry around your lil rio chit or other mp3 player. i'll carry my pocket pc around and listen to mp3s plus surf the web, watch movies, play my emulators(nes, etc..), keep phone numbers, appointments, important notes and much more while you amaze yourself with the number of songs your rio holds but guess what?!??! you'll never sit there and listen to 40 cds in a row so what is the point? oh yea the point is your stupid.

to the moron who said they only have 32 megs or memory or whatever. that is why the have these things called "compact flash cards". 512 megs or 1 gig. prices are always dropping.
Don't be an ass. You dredge up a post that hasn't been seen for a month and start bitching. Go enjoy your PocketPC. Maybe you can get a nice vibrating attachment for it and really go have a blast. I don't care.

I did not say that the PocketPCs only have 32 megs of memory. I asked. You could at least pay attention if you are going to go off the deep end and throw a tantrum. It might benefit you to know that most devices that support CompactFlash do not support the 512, 1024, or 2048 meg cards. I don't know which PocketPCs do adnd which ones don't, but you might want to check before you go spend several hundred dollars on a stick of memory your PocketPC can't read.

I wish people would stop reviving this thread. We've been over and over it long enough. If you want Winamp that badly, then send Brennan a PocketPC. That's what you need to do. Right now, it isn't worth their time to port it. I understand that you might think it's the most important, life-altering thing imaginable, but the Winamp team doesn't seem to see it that way.

Maybe I want Winamp for BeOS. Sucks for me. I'll live without it.

For the freedom to express myself in my own way without fear of being censored or banned.

47 65 6C 61 65 64 2E 63 6F 6D 00
Curi0us_George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2002, 14:13   #58
hubzik

Guys, your missing the point. Your all saying if you want a portable mp3 player than buy one instead of using a Pocket PC. I can see your point, now see if you can see mine.

Can you use Word, Excel, and powerpoint on an mp3 player? can you play games on one? can you use your mp3 player as a computer? NO!!!

So if people have Pocket PC's that they use for work or play, then they need a Pocket PC version of Winamp so that they don't have to carry around 2 devices, when the Pocket Pc can do both.

Also, winamp to Pocket PC is a very good idea, considering the space that Pocket PC's can now hold. I have an iPAQ 39xx series handheld, with 64MB on board RAM and a 1GB CF card.
With my music encoded at 64kbs in MP3 format, i can store now store up to 34 hours worth of music. And i would love to have a winamp for Pocket PC.

Also if the Pocket PC COULD PLAY mp3PRO then i could encode my music to 32kbs in mp3PRO format (Which is CD quality for mp3PRO) and then i would be able to get 68 hours out of my device.

-HubZik.com Webmaster-
HubZik.com Pocket PC Software and Reviews
http://www.hubzik.com
hubzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2002, 21:46   #59
SecondShadow

Quote:
Originally posted by Curi0us_George

Maybe I want Winamp for BeOS. Sucks for me. I'll live without it.
Ummmm....maybe you should check out http://www.xmms.org 'cause xmms is basically winamp for linux. I mean, check out the nostalgia section. It used to be called x11amp (which is when I had started using it actually). Looks and feels a alot like winamp 2.x and even supports winamp 2 skins supposedly (not a big skin person so I don't know). And being that they distribute the source (as with most *nix stuff you find) yes you can run it on BeOS (if I'm not mistaken). And if you were curious I do know that
SecondShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2002, 19:11   #60
hubzik

ok i'm sorry, MP3PRO at 32 kbs, is NEAR CD quality. I have done many tests, and this is true. I will be coming out with a report on this later in the month on my website for Pocket PC's about BEST AUDIO FORMATS

Honest to god, 32kbs with mp3PRO IS NEAR CD Quality. Try converting a few mp3's with Musicmatch Jukebox.

although 32kbs with a regular mp3, is about radio quality

-Travis-
hubzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2002, 07:26   #61
cparker6

Send a message via AIM to cparker6
wireless shoutcast

iPaq
+
3g Sprint Vision Phone
+
Winamp for PPC
=
Wireless Shoutcast stations!

I would love to stream shoutcast stations on the go, with headphones, or just jack the audio out into my CD Players Aux jack for Shoutcast in the car. I think Winamp for PPC would be great!!!

agent zero
cparker6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2006, 04:21   #62
seamonkey420

bring back a dead thread but very applicable now!

sorry, was bored and browsing my older forums.. hehe..

anywho.. no winamp for ppc/wm5 yet? guess i'll still use my The Core Pocket Media Player; TCPMP does everything i need and then some..

stream shoutcast/video over EDGE? check
playback video/subtitles? check
mp3 playback, hard buttons? check..

a port still would be great.. windows media player 10 mobile is still bloated.. and think of all of the great winamp skins that could be used or created..

anywho... thought i'd ask one more time..

winamp for WM5.. please??!

my mda is begging....
Old 7th July 2006, 06:08   #63
QuadHeliX
Major Dude

hows about a Fullscreen mode like in Vortex, that covers the whole pocket pc screen. That would look pretty cool.
QuadHeliX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2006, 06:17   #64
drewbar
Sawg 2.0
Major Dude

I belive the anwser is still no. Winamp will not be ported to anything, ever.

Count with us!
Jan 1st, 12AM (PST, GMT -8) 2010 - 282,246
drewbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2006, 21:26   #65
diablo7806

I think winamp for PocketPC ould be a goo idea actually, i have a 4GB SD Expansion card on mine, and 64MB Ram, so i thunk it would work very well!
diablo7806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2006, 21:30   #66
drewbar
Sawg 2.0
Major Dude

That's nice. Still no, though.

Count with us!
Jan 1st, 12AM (PST, GMT -8) 2010 - 282,246
drewbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2007, 16:15   #67
mojazz

Then watch Winamp die a slow death because the phone (PocketPC and others) is where nearly all consumer audio is going to end up.
mojazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2007, 17:48   #68
DrO

it's been requested for years and winamp's still going (apparantly quite well from the figures i've heard thrown around). and personally i'd rather see the very limited project resources spent on the current player rather than being split onto something else that would be just a niche product

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2007, 21:28   #69
Warrior of the Light
Forum King

seamonkey: yea, I'm running tcpmp on my mda vario aswell. a friend uses winampiPAQ on his pda.. it is a 100% rip, but at least it looks like winamp.

Jesus loves you [yes, you] so much, he even died for you so that you will not need to die, but live forever
Warrior of the Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2007, 21:46   #70
Warrior of the Light
Forum King

* typo fix: winampaq (too late to edit)

Jesus loves you [yes, you] so much, he even died for you so that you will not need to die, but live forever
Old 11th August 2007, 02:54   #71
seamonkey420

ok, i still don't understand why we'll never see winamp for any wm5/6 device ever.

why not allocate a small team to work on the project, hell it can't be that hard to port a win32 app to wm5/6 (atleast ms claims it isn't but thats m$ too.. so i apologize ahead of time if i'm totally ignorant in porting of applications/coding)?

and then charge $5 for it. i know i would dish out $5.

oh yea, i promise this is my last request..

peace
Old 11th August 2007, 11:15   #72
Vie
Forum King

Location: Thoron fields and Duranium shadows. Posts: Crap mostly
Quote:
Originally posted by mojazz
Then watch Winamp die a slow death because the phone (PocketPC and others) is where nearly all consumer audio is going to end up.
Bull

Member most in need of SpellCheck Lifetime Achievement Award

I'm a Twitch Streamer these days, it's weird.
Vie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2007, 11:25   #73
Rocker
Hiding in plain sight (mod)

i use orb(winamp remote) on my phone (nokia n95) to play songs. it uses realplayer to actually play the songs, and webpage to pick the songs I want to stream from my hard drive at home.

many phones on the three(3) network allow this. too bad for the people in the US who do not even have a 3G network.
Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2007, 21:31   #74
billyvnilly
Forum King, M.D.

Send a message via ICQ to billyvnilly Send a message via AIM to billyvnilly
CorePlayer is a great application, as is GSPlayer, though Im sticking with coreplayer as its robust. Though GSPlayer does have a winamp skin. http://www.gsplayer-skins.tk/
billyvnilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2007, 02:33   #75
ScorLibran
Resident Floydian

I'm a psychosomatic sister running around without a leash.
ScorLibran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2007, 02:34   #76
ScorLibran
Resident Floydian

I tried them ALL for my Windows Mobile 5.0 phone, and Pocket Player is the one I settled on.

In my case, the square screen was the biggest issue. But this player is also loaded with features, most of which I actually use. If you want a tall stack of features, this is a great product for you. If memory and storage are at a premium on your device, then you should choose something else.

I did like GSPlayer a lot, and used it for several months. After a while I just needed it to do some things of which it wasn't capable; that's the only reason I changed.

I'm a psychosomatic sister running around without a leash.
ScorLibran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2007, 22:25   #77
Gringos_78

I use Pocketmind PocketMusic, it's similair to winamp.
Gringos_78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2007, 23:55   #78
djpete
Major Dude

This could be it

I use this on my pocket pc to dj if my laptop crashes.
Its small and almost the same as Winamp.
Hope it helps...
http://www.pocketmind.com/screenshots.htm

Cheers, Pete

Anything & Everything Winamp - All In One Place...
Winamp Enthusiasts Group
djpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2009, 19:54   #79
seamonkey420

back again..

last time i post here since i have totally abandoned all hope and totally gave up on the idea of it ever making it to mobile devices.

so again, any possible ports to WM6.0 /WM6.x?? or WebOS? or Android?

i assume we'll get the usual, get-off-my-lawn replies from the mods saying "NEVER WILL HAPPEN".

sell it for $5 and let it control your desktop winamp and/or stream and you'd pay for development within a week.

but hey, what do i know. not like i use or buy these type of things.

/sarcasm

btw, here is what i do w/my winamp shoutcast on the desktop and tcpmp on my previous Windows Mobile 5.0 phone. but hey, who'd want to be able to do this right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0r9C1Ah3XKc
Old 8th October 2009, 21:10   #80
Warrior of the Light
Forum King

here's a link to winampaq - but indeed, nothing will come out of Nullsoft's labs

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions