Old 24th August 2003, 04:04   #1
dlinkwit27
has no CT
(Forum King)

Send a message via ICQ to dlinkwit27 Send a message via AIM to dlinkwit27 Send a message via Yahoo to dlinkwit27
Relationships with Your Parents

How do you and your parent[s]/guardian[s] get along?

Me? My mom and I get along pretty good. I am confortable telling her a lot of stuff that most kids wouldn't tell their parents. I can tell her about a friend that got drunk or a kid that cut class, and I know she won't tell the kids parents (unless it is a life/death situation, but in that case i'd tell their parents anyway). We watch TV together at night, shows liek Scrubs and Boston Public. We have a pretty good understand about how my social life works. I understand that yes, I am still living at home, and as such have responsibilites around here, but she also knows that I am 18, and as long as I tell her where I am going and who I think I am going with/meetnig there, she is cool with it. We also have an agreeement that if I won't be home before midnight, I call to let her know so she can keep the front door unlocked. I have a lot of respect for my mom. She has raised 5 kids bascily by herself for the past 6 years. My dad got laid off 6 years ago and has basicly been working freelance all across teh country ([nuculear] engineer). We never saw him much, and I guess I never got to know him becuse he wasn't really around durnig my 'puberty' years, but IDK. When he is home, it is weird. He doesn't really seem to haev a place here. We are so used to him not being here. I really only look to him when I need money or something for the computer. I don't like my dad much, and I kinda hope he'd get a job far away again, but I think my mom needs him here. It is rough.
dlinkwit27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2003, 04:08   #2
Fickle
Butterknife of Justice
(Forum King)

mom and me are constantly at each others throats.
Step-dad is okay.
Step mom is a huge bitch
Dad is whipped.

huh. surprisingly how little bitterness is left.

Go read a book without pictures
pabook? | Look, a blog! | Buy Stuff I Wrote
Fickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2003, 04:08   #3
d0rk
I contribute nothing.
(Forum King)

Quote:
but I think my mom needs him here.
You may not like him, but your mom needs that support if he is still around even though he travels around so much. So its a good thing that he is around because you know, if he wasn't that money woulnd't be there and would you be on the computer right now? Maybe, maybe not...but anyway. My relationship with my Dad, mom, and step dad is amazing. I tell them anything that I want too, and they completly trust me. When im going out, all they ask is when are you coming home, and they have no problems. They dont really ask who im hanging out with, what are we doing etc.. because they know im not going to be doing something that they might end up getting a call from me in the middle of the night saying "im in jail can you bail me out" or something to that extent.

I came for the hatred.
I stayed for the ballbag.
d0rk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2003, 04:10   #4
Shenlong
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to Shenlong Send a message via Yahoo to Shenlong
Fine with mom, fine with dad, fine with step-mom...

No drama here.

A very close Japanese friend I knew a while ago once said to me "Watashi no koto wo oboeta, onegai shimasu...Yakusoku?"

I forgot his name though...
Shenlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2003, 04:18   #5
ryan
not fucked, not quite.
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to ryan
Quote:
Originally posted in idiot's Journal
My dad...

He's a fucking alcoholic, he used to be a drug addict (cocain, oxycontin, valium...), a total asshole, a cheater (cheated on my mom 3 times that I know of).

And for just being an all around asshole.

My mom...

For being so stupid to stay with my dad and take his shit. For never doing anything for me when my dad goes on one of his asscapades (starts ordering everyone to do everything all the time and yelling). And not leaving my dad when he treats her like shit.
that about covers it.
ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2003, 05:24   #6
oNaMiSsIo
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to oNaMiSsIo
dad is awesome, lets me do as i please and helps me wit hanything i need.

mom is another story completely. her mother was an alcoholic and abusive, so she never had a mother figure to teach her how to be a parent. and it shows. daamn, does it show.
she:
1) has no idea of the concept of picking her battles - every little thing needs to be talked out in no less than half an hour

2) constantly fucking harps on me for the smallest things imaginable ("You know, you shouldn't speed up past the speed limit to pass people')

3) actually picks fights with me that she knows she will lose, then tried to guilt me into giving up by saying that my "style of arguement makes her feel like an idiot" (she admitted later that she realized that she was so wrong that she felt dumb, it had nothing to do with me)

4) all-around bitches all the time. I once tried to figure out when she was pmsing so that I could stay out of her way at those times of the month, but I realized that she is equally bitchy 365 days of teh fucking year.

/me needed to get that off his chest.

whoo.

My advice is to start drinking heavily. - John Belushi, Animal House
oNaMiSsIo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2003, 06:19   #7
teh Nightwing

Send a message via Yahoo to teh Nightwing
ugh....Turn 18, move oou, get over it.
If your parents don't like you, then tough! But odds are you have something to do with that.
Usually parents get a lot cooler once you leave the house though, when they finally get the idea that they're no longer in controll.
My parents were A** holes, but once I moved out and got married.....they're some of my best friends!

www.joellindow.com
teh Nightwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2003, 06:32   #8
Calrobowiz

My dad and I have a great relationship. We are much more like brothers then a son/father relationship. My mom on the other hand has some mental issues. She started off by being OCD then became somewhat bipolar after time. I love her and every thing but she can get on my nerves at times. The two are of course divorced and I live with my dad and his girl friend. Don't like her much because of her kids. They are drugies and have stolen many of my things.

Calrobowiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2003, 07:22   #9
ctn|chrisw
Forum King

I don't have much of a relationship with my parents. They're assholes, so I try to avoid them. My mom acts like an immature brat and teases me when my sisters do, for stuff I wont mention. She whines because I talk to her, yet why would I want to talk to some bitch who makes fun of me. My dad calls me a faggot most of the time, and they usually are only nice to me if they need pc help.

ctn|chrisw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2003, 07:57   #10
ShyShy
Amazon Bush Woman
Forum Queen

ugh, my family in general actually caused a lot of my depression, although my dad has been backing off a lot ever since i told him that i was diagnosed with that. but, for the most part it's an ok relationship with the folks. ever since the big "argument" between my mom and my ex, they've backed off from chipping away at my self esteem as a person and as a mother. so, now, i can say that we have a decent relationship now.
ShyShy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2003, 14:26   #11
eleet-2k2
Forum King

Good with mom and dad.

"Welcome to the Island of people who know too much."..."Did you really think balloons would stop him?!"
See what I'm listening too.
eleet-2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2003, 15:43   #12
DJ Shredder

Send a message via ICQ to DJ Shredder
I get along pretty well with both my parents. My Mom is always very understanding and lets me do basically anything I want, although always stopping to put her two cents in and nag me if I'm doing something she doesn't approve of, but she lets it go after a little while. She's still over-protective though. I am nearly 20 and I think she still waits up for me, sometimes till after 2:00AM when I go out to a club or something... not that there's anything wrong with that, I just think that when it comes time for me to move out, she's gonna freak out.

My Dad and I generally get along, he always helps me with my car and just loaned me copious amounts of money to buy a new car, and is letting me pay him back at my leisure. He can be demanding sometimes, expecting me to quit whatever I'm doing and come and help him at any time, immediately. He's got a short fuse sometimes, but I find that if I go and help him with his pointless little jobs around the house, we get on fine.
DJ Shredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2003, 16:38   #13
cyu
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to cyu Send a message via Yahoo to cyu
I have only one thing to say: Asian parents are bloody facists.
cyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2003, 16:48   #14
baafie
feminazi
(Major Dude)

Because?
baafie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2003, 16:59   #15
Mrs_Mia_Wallace
has a crush on Bilbo
(Forum Queen)

Location: Switzerland Posts: The starting points at a racetrack.
I get along well with my parents, the relationship certainly got better after I had been gone for a year when I was 16/17. Now I'm moving out which will be good because I love my parents and they love me back but sometimes seeing each other permanently will lead to fights over something very unimportant. But this is normal so I htink we are a pretty normal family (as far as this exists!)

Mia
Mrs_Mia_Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2003, 17:00   #16
ShyShy
Amazon Bush Woman
Forum Queen

Quote:
Originally posted by cyu
I have only one thing to say: Asian parents are bloody facists.

i soooo understand where you're coming from. at least you're a son, try life as an asian daughter, it was not fun
Old 24th August 2003, 17:34   #17
zootm
Forum King

my father appears to have left the country.

i get on really well with my mum...

zootm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2003, 18:21   #18
cyu
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to cyu Send a message via Yahoo to cyu
Quote:
Originally posted by ShyShy
i soooo understand where you're coming from. at least you're a son, try life as an asian daughter, it was not fun
heh, just wondering how do you know that?

You are not azn r u? At least you don't look azn..
cyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2003, 19:37   #19
RATMAN69

Im gonna start my weblog again (I started it in june, and haven’t touched it since.)

My parents are typical ambitious, greedy, lower-middle class people who basically didn’t give me a fucking chance of growing up into something resembling a human being. Currently going through psychotherapy, tho my therapist is away for a month and im starting to miss our sessions…she comes back next Thursday, tho.
RATMAN69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2003, 01:02   #20
OutlawJim
Confused
(Major Dude)

Send a message via ICQ to OutlawJim Send a message via AIM to OutlawJim Send a message via Yahoo to OutlawJim
im fine with both parents

Nobby:I have ADD.... Germ:No shit, Nobby? Nobody would have ever guessed.
OutlawJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2003, 04:55   #21
ShyShy
Amazon Bush Woman
Forum Queen

Quote:
Originally posted by cyu
heh, just wondering how do you know that?

You are not azn r u? At least you don't look azn..

I get that a lot! I'm half white, half Filippino.
Old 25th August 2003, 04:59   #22
DragonSon
Fears the boots
Forum King

Quote:

Half white, half Filippino. 100 Percent PURE beauty.
DragonSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2003, 15:29   #23
mark
Forum King

meh, get on ok with parents. theyre kinda unfair about allowance compared to parents of other local kids my age, but thats about it...
mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2003, 17:34   #24
zootm
Forum King

Quote:
same as my flatmate and friend, bizarrely.

zootm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2003, 19:07   #25
Doktor
Forum Doctor
(Senior Member)

Send a message via ICQ to Doktor
Mum - OK. Have you evere comforted your mum after a row with dad?

Dad - Yuck. He was not here during my puberty, so I made my life so, that I just can basically get around without him. What I hate is, that he comes after two weeks home and starts organizing things that have already been taken care of. And when I tell him he goes like :" why are you saying that in such words, am I an idiot?!". My mum needs him here, but he's not here, so I (as the older son) took after some of his responsibilities, what pisses him really off...

How do they call the Big Mac? Big Mac's a Big Mac, but they call it Le Big Mac! LE BIG MAC?!

Vincent & Jules in Pulp Fiction
Doktor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2003, 23:46   #26
hgnis
Hobbit Humper
Forum King

Mom = Mom.
Dad = Responsible. Like poles repel (his words)

I see the Asian thing is not an anomaly.....

I am so important I feel the need to let it be known like a liberal discovering the internets for the first time. Uh hur hur hur. I also wash myself with a rag on a stick.
Realitybites
<3
hgnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2003, 00:00   #27
godoncrack
Forum King

My mom and i don't talk
Fuckin amazing that we live in the same house
Don't know why, never bothered to figure it out really
no hate,not much else
Dad........i found a picture of him
i think he's dead
not quite sure
again never bothered to find out
i kinda grew myself
don't try that at home kids
godoncrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2003, 03:57   #28
GoldenSphynx
Forum King

If I had to answer to my dad more often I think my life would be sooooo much better than it is. My mom is like a power hungry dictator, and she wants things her way or no way. That's why I stopped talking to her for a couple months. Didn't do anything to her, so I don't care now. All she does is bitch, too bad I'll be in my 30s when she hits menopause.
GoldenSphynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2003, 04:11   #29
caitcid

I am not really close to my parents...or my family. I don't like m mom very much..she is a control freak..and my dad works a lot so I never see him. Mom cant accept my beliefs or what I plan on doing in the future..she always calls it an obsession to work in the gaming industry. -_-
Yeah..my family was the cause for my depression as well...my friends are more like my family..
caitcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2003, 21:32   #30
Calrobowiz

Wow, there are some very interesting relations here. It's to bad that many people don't get along with their parents. I used to hate my dad one time due to lies my mom told me about him. My dad seems to be much more truthful but may keep things away from me. But in my opinion that is much better then telling a negative lie about something or someone.

Calrobowiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2003, 21:39   #31
apollos
Forum King

I look down on my dad as he acts like a child and sometimes I feel that I am the father of the family it gets that odd and weird with him.

I love and respect my mum, she would give anything for me, but I don't share my mind with her, she wouldn't understand / accept as her beliefs are strognly routed in suppressive Christianity, and she often considers a problem I have as not a problem at all and I will get the responce "min les belares" (don't be silly). Little protective still, traditional Greek.
apollos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2003, 22:34   #32
rinaldi

I've been to the extremes of the spectrum... Teen years: Absolutely hated my parents.. I was almost a runaway, put into a 'hospital' against my will (nothing wrong with me.. go figure), and well.. a complete mess. Our relationship was horrible. Fighting every single day.

Then.. after my Junior year in HS, things got better. Now, going into my 3rd year of college, my parents are some of my best friends. I wouldn't have the opportunities I do now without them.

So.. When I say, I've seen it all... I'm generally not kidding
rinaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2003, 00:20   #33
Merlin
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by zootm
my father appears to have left the country.
You say that as if it's not a big deal...

as he faced the sun, he cast no shadow
Merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions