Old 28th May 2005, 01:42   #1
tuckerm
Forum Emo

help on an I frame

ok i need all of your help, im trying to create a thingy that will allow me to see part of a website on my homepage i think its an I frame or somtin..like here: http://www.freewebs.com/mymsnstatus/ and i want that on the buttom of my homepage (www.mystuffradio.tk)
tuckerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2005, 03:34   #2
jerimiah40
Major Dude

Erm, why not just copy the page source into the website...
jerimiah40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2005, 08:54   #3
shakey_snake
Forum Domo

You know you can turn off that .tK popup right?
anyways...
mystuff you need serious markup help.
Every basic webpage should at least include the following:

code:
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01
Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
<html>
<head>
<title>Title goes here</title>
</head>
<body>
stuff goes here
</body>
</html>

And it wouldn't kill you to have at least this info:
code:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" >
<head>
<meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1" />
<meta name="author" content="Authour's name" />
<meta name="keywords" content="stuff" />
<meta name="description" content="stuff" />
<meta name="robots" content="all" />
<title></title>

</head>
<body>

</body>
</html>

Head over to W3Schools Online Web Tutorials To find out more about how to create proper markup.

elevatorladyelevatorladyelevatorladyelevatorladyelevatorladylevitateme
shakey_snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2005, 09:04   #4
siebe83
Forum King

And yep, use iframe to display another site inside your page...
code:

<iframe name="msn" src="http://www.freewebs.com/mymsnstatus/" width="230" height="80" scrolling="no" frameborder="0">
</iframe>

Good Winamp plugins by Joonas, DrO and shaneh.
If you're bored go here or, if the boredom is more serious, here.
siebe83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2005, 13:22   #5
tuckerm
Forum Emo

i know how to do html and all but i just needed an I frame
Old 28th May 2005, 19:36   #6
PulseDriver
w3 addict
(Major Dude)

Quote:
Originally posted by shakey_snake
You know you can turn off that .tK popup right?
anyways...
mystuff you need serious markup help.
Every basic webpage should at least include the following:
Well, not that I am an expert on iframes but if I got it right, the page he posted an URL to is only a part of a page, so if he loads this page as an iframe, I would guess all the markup you recommended is in the parent document of the iframe. Not the iframe document itself.

09 F9 11 01 9D 74 E8 5B D8 41 56 C3 63 56 81 C0
PulseDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2005, 22:14   #7
yenerich
Banned

<iframe src="http://www.site.com" height=800 width=800></iframe>
yenerich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2005, 05:50   #8
HeatherS78

Send a message via Yahoo to HeatherS78
you are trying to do a iframe correct, well, k you find a template that has iframe use the iframe code for theat, I don't have it right now, I had to reboot my comp but when I get all my stuff back onto my computer, I'll give you the code in a pm if like kk my stuff radio
HeatherS78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2005, 13:20   #9
tuckerm
Forum Emo

i use the .tk thingy cause its easir saying visit us on the web at www.mystuffradio.tk rather than www.freewebs.com/mystuffradio
Old 3rd June 2005, 22:53   #10
tuckerm
Forum Emo

is there a way to have a color inside of the I frame..like such

<iframe src="http://www.freewebs.com/todaysshow" height=100 width=100></iframe>

and i need that in a white background cause when i put it on the site im working on it uses the same background color on the page which is black.
Old 4th June 2005, 01:46   #11
tuckerm
Forum Emo

*bump*

bump this before i leave in another 15 minutes
Old 4th June 2005, 02:28   #12
Smeggle
Just Strolling By
(Major Dude)

Quote:
Originally posted by my stuff radio
i know how to do html and all but i just needed an I frame
No - not according to the page src I just looked at - go back to [url=http://www.w3c.org]School[.url]

You don't even have a header in the page....

Music is Life, Love and Happiness :|: Life is Music. Serren - 1985 - 2005
Religion? Religion is a Blasphemy against humanity - From the film What the Bleep do we know

siggy link So stumbling? whats it all about
Smeggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2005, 06:02   #13
PulseDriver
w3 addict
(Major Dude)

smeggle. if he imports the document intp another HTML document, he might not nead a header into this documnet.

Mandetory markup:

PHP Code:

<html>
    <
head>
       <
title>The page title</title>
    </
head>
    <
body>
    </
body>
  </
html

Old 4th June 2005, 10:46   #14
siebe83
Forum King

Quote:

and i need that in a white background cause when i put it on the site im working on it uses the same background color on the page which is black.
No you can't, as far as I know. You'll have to change the color in the source. Either that, or use Server Side Includes, PHP, etc, but your server has to support that before you can use it.

Old 4th June 2005, 12:26   #15
tuckerm
Forum Emo

homepage: black

iframe site im trying to put on there is white
Old 4th June 2005, 12:48   #16
tuckerm
Forum Emo

did any of you ever think that i didnt want a header?

any way i just used a white text box seemed to work the best.
Old 5th June 2005, 00:45   #17
Smeggle
Just Strolling By
(Major Dude)

Quote:
did any of you ever think that i didnt want a header?
Huh? why the fuck not? and looking at your code src your mixing 3 types of html markup.
Fuck - I just hate lazy crappy coding - I can't wait until browser manufacturers decide to set there browser engines to display this instead of crappily coded pages

'You are seeing this instead of the page you requested because the person who coded the page is either to lazy to code correctly or has coded incorrectly'

That might just help to clear up at least 50% of the crap code that causes nothing but problems on the net...

Religion? Religion is a Blasphemy against humanity - From the film What the Bleep do we know

Old 5th June 2005, 00:54   #18
tuckerm
Forum Emo

im so sorry for not putting the header in..but im not going to fix it either..i have set how i want it and im not going to fuck with it. its my homepage and not yours so you cant tell me what i can or cannot do on my own homepage so leave it be.

do you even have a home page??
Old 5th June 2005, 01:05   #19
Smeggle
Just Strolling By
(Major Dude)

Quote:
im so sorry for not putting the header in..but im not going to fix it either..i have set how i want it and im not going to fuck with it.
only thing firefox friendly about it is firefox displays it - I.E. hates it and even though it was on your i.p. it decided not to find the server.. Apart from that the layout looks a mess which is a shame because it could be a reasonably nice page if you bothered to do it correctly.

Here is the reason why you need a header (was gonna post this last night but the data base was acting up

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by PulseDriver
smeggle. if he imports the document intp another HTML document, he might not nead a header into this documnet.

Mandetory markup:

PHP Code:

<html>
    <
head>
       <
title>The page title</title>
    </
head>
    <
body>
    </
body>
  </
html
what? As in the header being in the iframe src html document? nope - thats totally ignored by the browser. Basic on how the browser reads an html document

Line 1 - Browser ere What are ye?
Line 1 Answer I am html 4.0 (Yuk) or html 4.01 (even yukkier) or I am xhtml (YaY! ^_^ )

Broswer = Cool I will read you as 'x' code (say here xhtml ok)

next line 2 open head ok, great stuff
next line 3 title - yep excellent (we're on a roll - I can feel it says the browser)
line 4 charset (browser is chuffing along happily here ^_^ WooTs for xhtml)
next line 5 the css meta tag
Line 6 begins the meta tags
variable on the following meta tags such as Author, Copyright date, robots..
next keywords
then description
Browser hang on are those the last two in order - keywords first and description after? Correct xhtml code replies a resounding A ok there mate
Browser and your definately the last two meta tags - just check that - yep cool

ok We'll close the head now and next line opens the body variable..

Get any of the above wrong in html 4.0 (yuk), html 4.01 (even yukkier) or xhtml (YaY! ^_^) and the browser is off on a guessing game. Firefox etc will 9/10 get it right - I.E. will say Fuck you I'm back of to I.E 4.0/5.0(ish) along with my inherant box model problem (amongst other little bits of evil - just to royally piss you and fuck you off, cause we're microjerk and we rule OK!)...

So - em no - an iframe is an embedded object - any header is stripped out of the html or completely ignored..

Oh and strictly speaking the extra meta tags are such as copyright, Author, date, robots etc are not actually valid but are allowed. They mainly relate to the Alexa and ...whsts it called dMOZ[?] and how they list, otherwise strictly speaking the head should look like this

Basic xhtml

dtd - doc identifier
head
title
charset
css meta tag
robots meta tag
keywords meta tag
description meta tag
close head

(Couldn't be bothered with exm. code - late and I'm tired).

Ok I know the above sounds daft but thats the way I learnt it over at w3c or my simplified intepretation of it plus I'm in a nutty mood because me stupid dog went and knocked my connection 97% into the download of a fucking 349/3mb download ( :growls: lol)...

Oh and don't forget it's space/forward slash to implicitly close the meta tags in xhtml and br, hr, img etc. The space is for backward compatibility. xhtml just implicitly closed the tag without a space first. It was found that most browsers below i.e. 5.0 for example could not read tge html. Putting a space cured the problem short term. As more and more upgrade, the space will be phased out (As far as I'm aware that is).

G'Night - me's of to bed

That was actually in reply to what PulseDriver posted but it will explain why you need a header - unless you like browsers to fuck up your style/code by playing guessing games etc..

Old 5th June 2005, 01:17   #20
tuckerm
Forum Emo

ill tell ya what i know how to do my own website ok i got my codes done and its not like a little town in wisconsin will notice i dont have a header i just ended 8th grade im not even in collage ok and its just a page to see if im online or offline. its worked cause ive gotten a lot of hits.
Old 5th June 2005, 03:52   #21
HeatherS78

Send a message via Yahoo to HeatherS78
Quote:

I use Front Page Express, its a bit easier I know how to do html but using that saves me time lol

but to do what you want to do, you would have to make a page with the color you want it to be
HeatherS78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2005, 12:34   #22
tuckerm
Forum Emo

no the homepage i have is black and i wanted to create a white I frame but it kept coming up back. i just did a text box. i dont have frontpage.
Old 5th June 2005, 15:24   #23
Smeggle
Just Strolling By
(Major Dude)

Quote:
ill tell ya what i know how to do my own website ok i got my codes done and its not like a little town in wisconsin will notice i dont have a header i just ended 8th grade im not even in collage ok and its just a page to see if im online or offline. its worked cause ive gotten a lot of hits.
yeah of course it will work. Strictly speaking it does not need a header in html for the content to display but it's there for a reason.

I'm trying to help you here btw - you more than likely are getting hits and thats great but would you not like more? The search engines will probable not see your page - so the only hits your probably getting is from your sig links etc (check your server stats and see what there saying - I'll hazard a good guess that not one search engines even looked at the page).

The thing is without the document being properly identified (the dtd) your allready into all sorts of problems, mainly with I.E. At this stage, I.E., as I said has allready dropped back to I.E. 5.0 with all it's inherant problems and as over 80% of users still use that browser? Well the answer is obvious - you've just dumped the biggest percentage of hits your gonna possibly get.

So i.d.ing your document tells the browser how to read the code (And all of this helps your page/s work better and load faster).

As I said you don't have to use all the meta tags just the essential ones in the head. So you would open the head, then title, then charset. Why is charset so important?

Well what character set are you using? utf-8? iso-8859-1? etc etc

The browser will automatically fall back on utf-8 but if your using iso-8859-1, then some or all of your page may not display or display correctly.
css meta tag if you use an external style sheet (vey recommended). Then keywords, description metas. then close it.

Do that and your hits will more than likely double or treble. Remember 'Hits' do not neccessarily mean that someone has accessed and seen your page. Theres a big difference between 'actual 'Hits' and 'Unique users'. It is 'Uniques' that equal actual times your page has been viewed. 'Hits' on there own mean very little.

You have quite a nice design. It's clean, color is well balanced and well used but is being let down because the layout is messing up.
That is happening first of - mainly because your header is missing. I'm sorry if that is bugging you but it is the most important part of how a page is rendered and displayed.

It looks to me like you want this to be a success and looking at your other thread, you have some good ideas for making it a fun place to hang about at. You've done a very good job upto now, so all I'm saying is why spoil it by ignoring the essential structure?

At the end of the day it is up to you after all, It's your site but follow the above advice (And not just given by me) and you will have a great deal more success (And believe me a lot less headaches when you develope your place and find all sorts of problems turning up).

I'm not knocking your site - I'm just trying to recommend a way to make it better for you is all...

As I said - it's upto yourself though

Old 5th June 2005, 15:48   #24
PulseDriver
w3 addict
(Major Dude)

header is strictly needed. dtd and style is not

The REQUIRED model recommended by w3c is the model I posted before.

Old 5th June 2005, 17:21   #25
tuckerm
Forum Emo

i added a header. any other sugesstions
Old 5th June 2005, 17:23   #26
PulseDriver
w3 addict
(Major Dude)

Header and title are manditory. So if you don't have a title, I suggest you add that too.

Here you can check the validity of you page:

http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=referer

Just replace referer with the URI of the page you want to check. Remember this just checks one page, not the site so to validate your whole site, you need to check every page, included generated ones.

Old 5th June 2005, 17:45   #27
tuckerm
Forum Emo

eek! (http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=ht...tomatically%29)
14 errors..sigh what should i do..the following link i have all of my codeing on there..see if you can work with it some time.

http://www.freewebs.com/mccumbershow/ (old radio show homepage)
Old 5th June 2005, 19:24   #28
PulseDriver
w3 addict
(Major Dude)

I got one suggestion. Leave iframes. I just see textboxes containing markup lol, on the old site that is.

Old 5th June 2005, 19:28   #29
tuckerm
Forum Emo

no those are my codes for my current webpage (www.freewebs.com/mystuffradio) and i got 14 errors for it and i want someone to look over those codes and make any corrections as the see fit and pm or post it on my or winamp forums.
Old 5th June 2005, 20:28   #30
shakey_snake
Forum Domo

Quote:
no those are my codes for my current webpage (www.freewebs.com/mystuffradio) and i got 14 errors for it and i want someone to look over those codes and make any corrections as the see fit and pm or post it on my or winamp forums.
Quote:
eek! (http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=ht...tomatically%29)
14 errors..sigh what should i do..the following link i have all of my codeing on there..see if you can work with it some time.

http://www.freewebs.com/mccumbershow/ (old radio show homepage)
OK. I'm going to calmly explain this to you WITHOUT SCREAMING.
You are a true test of patience.

As I suggested in the second reply in this topic: YOU NEED A FREAKING DOCTYPE DECLARATION!!!!
This is true wherther the page is a whole page, a frame, or an iframe.

Your validation results tell you this BEFORE IT EVEN LISTS THE ERRORS:
Quote:
No Character Encoding Found! Falling back to UTF-8.

I was not able to extract a character encoding labeling from any of the valid sources for such information. Without encoding information it is impossible to reliably validate the document. I'm falling back to the "UTF-8" encoding and will attempt to perform the validation, but this is likely to fail for all non-trivial documents.

So what should I do? Tell me more...

No DOCTYPE Found! Falling Back to HTML 4.01 Transitional

A DOCTYPE Declaration is mandatory for most current markup languages and without one it is impossible to reliably validate this document. I am falling back to "HTML 4.01 Transitional" and will attempt to validate the document anyway, but this is very likely to produce spurious error messages for most non-trivial documents.

<insert rm.txt here />

Old 5th June 2005, 20:53   #31
tuckerm
Forum Emo

pretend i dont know what that means....
Old 5th June 2005, 21:05   #32
shakey_snake
Forum Domo

Could you be a little less ambiguous please?
I really want to help you, but you're being really unhelpable.

Old 5th June 2005, 21:06   #33
siebe83
Forum King

Ok. First remove all the header stuff you got there now at the top of the page, like those html, head, and body tags. After that, put this at the top of your html page:

PHP Code:
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
<
html>
<
head>
  <
meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html;charset=ISO-8859-1">
  <
meta name="author" content="Your name goes here">
  <
title>my stuff radio</title>
  <
style type="text/css">
  <!-- 

A:link {color:3399cc;text-decoration:underline overline}

A:visited {color:3399cc;text-decoration:underline overline}

A:active {color:3399cc;text-decoration:underline overline}

A:hover {color:3399cc;text-decoration:underline overline}
  -->
  </
style>
</
head>

<
body bgcolor="black"
At the bottom, remove the style stuff (that long line of code), and put this in place:
PHP Code:
</body>
</
html
In other words: the site itself, the content, should be between the start and end body tags; i.e. between <body> and </body>

Then try validating the site again and we'll see what's still there...

Old 5th June 2005, 21:07   #34
PulseDriver
w3 addict
(Major Dude)

lol, the <!doctype> tag isn't even HTML, it's SGML, but it's required for SGML documents, which includes HTML.

Since your HTML is so poor "my stuff", you should use the loose document type definition, since this isn't picky about depricated tags and elements.

Old 5th June 2005, 21:19   #35
tuckerm
Forum Emo

k put that code on top and delete the header that was already there. second you want me to put the </body>
</html> thing on there..done that..now what about the style stuff?? are you talking about the <br><span style="color:3399cc;"><font style="font-family: comic sans ms;" size="2">
current annoucments: stuff?? you want me to delete all of those??
Old 5th June 2005, 21:20   #36
tuckerm
Forum Emo

now the next is all red and im missing my marqee thingy

anyway its all shitty because i converted from basic to html and thats how freewebs had it and i deleted alot of crap that was not needed.
Old 5th June 2005, 21:24   #37
siebe83
Forum King

no only delete the the style stuff
it5 now in the header

5orry keyoard fucked u

Old 5th June 2005, 21:25   #38
PulseDriver
w3 addict
(Major Dude)

marquee is for noobs anyway. If you want it the proper way, do it with DHTML. If you want me to, i could write a simple script that do this "the-right-way" for you.

Old 5th June 2005, 21:28   #39
tuckerm
Forum Emo

@ pulse i have no idea what that is either. i just need something to tell people the following in my code:

<marquee bgcolor=3399cc>(if a dead image appears above, simply refresh or press F5)</marquee>
Old 5th June 2005, 21:33   #40
PulseDriver
w3 addict
(Major Dude)

Yeah, but there is no such element named <marquee> by the w3c (world wide web consortium) which works for making the web a structured place. I am not sure where the marquee element spawned from.

Don't worry though. I could make one for you right now. I'll include instructions for how to implement it into your page. Just gimme the URL to the page you want to display this.

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions