Old 19th January 2003, 08:11   #121
anamenotused

Send a message via ICQ to anamenotused Send a message via AIM to anamenotused Send a message via Yahoo to anamenotused
and another thing. I also have a 6 button microsoft intellipoint optical mouse. WORKS just as it did on my Windows XP box. so blow me. Im sick of all your lame ass mac roumers you guys stick to. Why not read up on what you are preaching before you say it!!! You talk about incidences that have happend on a mac, well lets talk about incidences that have happened in WINDOWS!!! ok. im getting to damn drunk to think of anything else. hard to belive the words froma drunk dude is more intelligent then some of yours. hahahaha. peace.
anamenotused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2003, 18:03   #122
Joshuatree
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to Joshuatree
Finally someone else who knows what they're talking about. I can bet that if anyone has used a PC, then they should know how often it crashes, lags, or freezes. I know mine lags or freezes every day. Even if all I'm running is Photoshop. In my opinion, you get what you pay for. And when you include the fact that there are Mac versions of all of the high-end apps, then why even bother with a PC at all. Plus, all of the iApps, the stability, and the fact that even if there isn't a Mac version of a program, you can always just get Virtual PC. I think that in time...the Mac will grow in popularity, and that there will also be more and more ways to customize the Mac. I see nothing but sunny skies ahead for the Macintosh industry. Even if you loose the customizability with the Mac OS, it still looks better when you do customize it. Just take a look at the Macintosh screen shots on Deskmod. Especially the screen shots by saved and carbon. I think the sacrifice of customizability is nothing compared to the functionality and sturdiness you gain when switching to the Mac.
Joshuatree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2003, 18:28   #123
zootm
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by Joshuatree
Finally someone else who knows what they're talking about. I can bet that if anyone has used a PC, then they should know how often it crashes, lags, or freezes. I know mine lags or freezes every day.
i know mine doesn't.

Quote:
Originally posted by Joshuatree
I think that in time...the Mac will grow in popularity, and that there will also be more and more ways to customize the Mac. I see nothing but sunny skies ahead for the Macintosh industry.
this is, scarily enough, what i've been saying about linux. we live in hope.

i'll concede the mac laptops are high class, but it is neither practical nor sensible for me to switch to mac.

as for anamenotused's posts, all these issues have been raised previously in the thread (or in 'macinshit', i get them mixed up), and i have no desire to reiterate.

zootm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2003, 19:28   #124
Joshuatree
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to Joshuatree
I'll have to find the macinshit thread
Joshuatree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2003, 19:46   #125
sean2002

Why can't this end?
sean2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2003, 20:31   #126
ChickenKiev

it all depends which os you are more used to using. i have a mac and a pc but because i used pcs first (and more often) i find macos confusing but i can see that if i used it more i would find loads of advantages with it. . the macs are much more expensive (for speed) but the retain their value much better and also have a much longer lifespan.
i recon my next computer (desktop) will be a $300 one which i will upgrade every year (it will end up faster for the same price.)KILL ALL FLOPPIES
ChickenKiev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2003, 20:58   #127
the road guy

Well I probably won't be much help in this debate, sorry Joshuatree I have never used a Mac, I have been using the basic home PC's for a few years now, and I really haven't had any problems with lag or freezing using a variety of programs (ie: EZ CD 5 platinum, photoshop pro 7, kazaa, ect ect) I am using an AMD XP cpu (1600+), 512 Mb ddr...........anyway like a few of the others have said they both have good and bad sides, so it's up to you to weigh out what you are going to be using the new machine for and which would be the best buy for the bucks you will be spending, either way I hope you enjoy the new machine I'm sure your choice in the end will be the best for you!
the road guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2003, 04:20   #128
Curi0us_George
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to Curi0us_George Send a message via Yahoo to Curi0us_George
Quote:
Originally posted by anamenotused
allright... im using an apple ibook running yes. OS X 10.2.3 Jag. This thing runs smooth and its a friggen older tangerine ibook. 300MHZ. Now lets compare this to a windows based laptop. in 1999 you would have gotten a latop with windows 98 on it. it would have ran it well but would crash. Now you hear XP came out and you want to upgrade. Oh damn, you cant, it runs too damn slow. Lets say you got an apple ibook 300mhz at the same time (1999). and you run os 9 for a while. it crashes sometimes but not nearly as much as windows does. then you hear osx comes out. you finaly get the money and get the latests. OSX 10.2. You install it and it runs flawlessly. Now you can write your papers and such without fear of the dang thing locking up!!! I dont know about you but when im writing my essays for college. I would rather do it on my laptop (ibook) then my PC sitting right next to it just so i dont loose it. I never touch my pc at all anymore. (anyone want to buy a desktop pc running windows XP?) Another thing i seen on this forum.... RISC and CISC. Okay. Macintosh processors (G3 and G4 and by this summer G5) are all RISC based processors. Intel and AMD are CISC. RISC are reduced instruction, CISC are complex instruction. BIG difference. You can hook anything up to a mac as you would a PC. AND the laptops arent as upgradeable just as pc laptops. Heres teh advice im going to give you. If you want to get a laptop do to actual work and not have to fear it crashing on you, get a mac. If you want a laptop to play video games (cant see why anyone would with a LCD/Active matrix display anyways because of the horrible refresh rates) then get a pc based laptop. You stil can get games wiith MAC just not as much. Otherwise everything else a PC can you you can with a mac. Take it from someone who used PCs for years and got an ibook. I know what im talking about. Peace out.
1. Good for you
2. I don't know why you would want to run Windows XP on a 300 MHz machine, but I'm going to laugh at you for trying. I see no reason why it is so surprising to you that you can't run new software on old hardware. By your logic, WindowsXP should be able to run on an 80286.
3. 300 MHz PC Processors have been available since 1998.
4. My computer works great. It doesn't freeze or crash.
4. Don't even mention RISC and CISC. You quite obviously don't really know much about them. The G3 isn't really RISC. It has more instructions than the P-III. It's more properly referred to as a FISC processor.
5. A lot of PC laptops are upgradable.
6. I don't know why you seem to think that all computers are laptops, but I'm not going to argue with you.
7. Damn it. Stop saying that PCs crash and Macs don't. Saying it over and over doesn't make it true.

Quote:
and another thing. I also have a 6 button microsoft intellipoint optical mouse. WORKS just as it did on my Windows XP box. so blow me. Im sick of all your lame ass mac roumers you guys stick to. Why not read up on what you are preaching before you say it!!! You talk about incidences that have happend on a mac, well lets talk about incidences that have happened in WINDOWS!!! ok. im getting to damn drunk to think of anything else. hard to belive the words froma drunk dude is more intelligent then some of yours. hahahaha. peace.
8. The mouse thing has been addressed many times in this thread. Read some of the old posts before you reply, or don't reply at all.

Joshuatree, please read number 7.

For the freedom to express myself in my own way without fear of being censored or banned.

47 65 6C 61 65 64 2E 63 6F 6D 00
Curi0us_George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2003, 04:51   #129
SNYder
Forum King

windows = penis
mac = vagina

gimmie some dat vagina!
SNYder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2003, 05:46   #130
cmountford
The Rapper
(Major Dude)

Send a message via AIM to cmountford
This thread keeps getting longer & longer! LOL! Yeah, I don't know what people are talking about when they say that PCs crash and Macs don't. I can't argue that Macs crash because I've hardly used them, but the ones I used had really crappy software.

I'm a DJ. You can DL my mixes free from my website: www.djcmount.com

You have the right to refrain from posting unless you write in the "rap battles" thread. Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court by mods.
cmountford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2003, 05:52   #131
SNYder
Forum King

I haven't had enough experience with Mac OS X yet, but I've had tons with Mac OS 9, and I've crashed it a million times. It is a sucky piece of crap. but so far Mac OS X has made up for my years of Mac hell. Dito with Windows XP and my years of hell with Windows 95 and 98. Although I have great memories and experiences Win 3.1 and DOS, which I grew up on.

Now bring on the 17" widescreen vagina!
SNYder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2003, 06:15   #132
anamenotused

Send a message via ICQ to anamenotused Send a message via AIM to anamenotused Send a message via Yahoo to anamenotused
Curious George. No offence but your a moron. You totally didnt even get the point I was comeing across. You answered my point as if to make it your own argument. Heres some advice. Learn how to read critically or shut the hell up. I know all computers arent laptops but the main question that started this thread involved the buying of a laptop. Stick with the subject. (other then the fact that you are a moron). Hmm. Never said PC's crash. I said windows does. PC's can run unix or linux just as apples can. "Mac" refering to the OS hasnt crashed on me yet. Programs that run in teh OS have (which were ONLY the ones made by microsoft) according to my own experience. Well im done venting. All of this goes out to Curious George. Ive also noticed that quite a few of your threads seem like they were written by a 10 year old. The quote i mentioned earlier about learning your stuff (without bias) before you start going off..... i was directing that mostly over to you. And a few nameless... ok i have better things to do now. goodbye.
Old 20th January 2003, 06:20   #133
anamenotused

One last thing curious george. Re-read what I first wrote and please tell me when I mentioned a PC (laptop) with a 300Mhz processor. I did mention my ibook 300. Maybe you should learn to read FIRST. Then try other things. WHo knows. it might help you get a girl someday. (yes... i contradicted myself there by straying from teh topic at hand). Oh well. You have just lost your credibility so anything you say beyond this point is invalid.
Old 20th January 2003, 06:51   #134
n_ick2000
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to n_ick2000 Send a message via Yahoo to n_ick2000
Quote:
Oh well. You have just lost your credibility so anything you say beyond this point is invalid.
The last ditch effort of a person who can't admit when they are wrong.

|
n_ick2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2003, 07:40   #135
anamenotused

oh really n_ick200? Care to elaborate? Offer some proof and examples on that statement. Or is that just your opinion? And what am i wrong about? I havent stated anything... just offered some OPINIONS, and opinions cant be wrong. Something you should have learned already as well. By the way. Who asked you?
Old 20th January 2003, 08:07   #136
zootm
Forum King

Quote:
No offence but your a moron.

that's the most unintentionally ironic thing i've ever read.

Quote:
You answered my point as if to make it your own argument.
ja, it's called arguing. i think you should learn some things about persuasive debate before you criticise someone else

Quote:
Ive also noticed that quite a few of your threads seem like they were written by a 10 year old.
funny, i thought his threads were fairly intelligent. and by the way, of the 3 quotes i've taken from you so far, not one was "correct" from an english language viewpoint, so let's stop the pointless criticism, eh?

Quote:
Now lets compare this to a windows based laptop. in 1999 you would have gotten a latop with windows 98 on it. it would have ran it well but would crash. Now you hear XP came out and you want to upgrade. Oh damn, you cant, it runs too damn slow. Lets say you got an apple ibook 300mhz at the same time (1999). and you run os 9 for a while. it crashes sometimes but not nearly as much as windows does. then you hear osx comes out. you finaly get the money and get the latests. OSX 10.2. You install it and it runs flawlessly.
how about this:
you get a PC laptop in '99, with windows 98 installed. it crashes fairly frequently, so you jump at the opportunity when windows 2000 pro comes out a year later. you install it and it runs flawlessly. a little later you hear about "windows XP". it's exactly the same as windows 2000 except with a lot of shiny addons and things that are designed for faster computers. you decide not to upgrade, knowing that the stripped down, thinner version of this new windows is in fact what you're already using, and enjoying the stability of every day. you also read about mac's next big thing, mac os X, that's predicted to be released fairly soon too. you're pleased that mac users are going to finally be treated to the compatibility and stability you now take for granted.

and on a final note (because i think it's funny):
Quote:
And what am i wrong about? I havent stated anything... just offered some OPINIONS, and opinions cant be wrong.
some non-opinion things you have said (i've highlighted the one you were definately wrong about, incidentally):

Quote:
Macintosh processors (G3 and G4 and by this summer G5) are all RISC based processors. Intel and AMD are CISC.
You can hook anything up to a mac as you would a PC.
(unless it's only got Windows drivers )
I also have a 6 button microsoft intellipoint optical mouse. WORKS just as it did on my Windows XP box.
im getting to damn drunk to think of anything else.

Old 20th January 2003, 08:18   #137
feroxis

Quote:
By the way. Who asked you?
In a similar thread, who asked you? As this is a public thread, I believe anyone is free to chime in their two cents, as all of us have done / are doing.

Also, making vague allusions to someone else's ability to pick up girls is a pretty lame non-tactic. If anything it makes your "arguments" weigh less in the mind of every reader.

Please take the time to learn how to write in the English language. If you're going to try to belittle someone in a public way, you shouldn't make gratuitous spelling and punctuation mistakes. It's difficult for me to take you seriously on a level higher than playground namecalling.

Quote:
Originally posted by anamenotused just offered some OPINIONS, and opinions cant be wrong.
Well, that's your opinion.

Actually, an opinion is merely a "a view, judgment, or appraisal formed in the mind about a particular matter". It can be my opinion that the world is flat, but I wouldn't be any less wrong.

For the record, I own an XP based home PC (love it, and no problems with stability), but would certainly not be opposed to having one of the newer Macintosh laptops. I've never cared much for Apple's desktop machines, but I think their portable offerings are fast approaching sexy.
feroxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2003, 08:28   #138
anamenotused

ok man. you said:

ja, it's called arguing. i think you should learn some things about persuasive debate before you criticise someone else

Now. Take a look at what i said that made you say that. Yes i know what argueing is. Im in college and according to my major its what i do almost every single day. Exvept when im drinking and typeing in these forums. Just as i am right now. Now. What HE did take something that i said. And tried to use it against me but what he was intentionally doing was helping out my point. okay dude? I personaly think you know what your talking about so i wont rip on you. now what else diid you say. Correct from an english language point of view..... so im drunk...deal with it. The ideas from the words come across just fine. Ok... about the whole windows 2000 thing. Umm. Ok. I dont know if you ever had the opportunity to buy the latest stuff when it comes out like i do. But ok. On my PC i had windows 98 on it when i got it. Just as you mentioned. Now i saw that windows 2000 came out so i was like ok lets give it a shot. UNFORTUNATLY. NOTHING was compatable. I needed driveers which i didnt have and the programs i used would not work. So i didnt upgrade. Now maybe your experience was different i dont know. But from MY experience it wasnt so good. Then windows XP came out. I thought i would get a copy and try it out. HURRAH! It was more compatable with my windows 98 crap as well as drivers. UNFORTNUATLY. I had to upgrade my processor, video card, and sound card. As for this mac laptop. It had OS9 when i got it. (crashed as much as windows 98). I got OSX jag and it upgraded jsut fine and everything worked awesome. That is my statement. From experience. Call it opinion or whatever you want. Its what DID happen. So how am i wrong again? Thanks for agreeing with me at the end however. Sorry if this is gona piss you off. Im just curious.
Old 20th January 2003, 08:29   #139
Curi0us_George
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to Curi0us_George Send a message via Yahoo to Curi0us_George
Quote:
No offence but your a moron.
Yes. I'm a moron. And you don't know the difference between second person possessive and the contraction of the words "you" and "are". I rarely point out grammatical errors, but if you are going to insult my intelligence, you should at least learn grade school English.

Quote:
You totally didnt even get the point I was comeing across.
What are you talking about? I addressed every point you made. I understood your points (well, most of them), and I disagreed with you. That doesn't mean that I didn't "get your point". It means that I think your point is wrong.

Quote:
You answered my point as if to make it your own argument.
What?

Quote:
Heres some advice. Learn how to read critically or shut the hell up.
Once again: What?

Quote:
I know all computers arent laptops but the main question that started this thread involved the buying of a laptop. Stick with the subject.
Sorry, you just inserted references to laptops in the middle of your reply. It wasn't coherent with the rest of your reply, nor was it consistent with the rest of the thread. We had been having a general Mac vs Windows discussion, and suddenly you were talking about laptops as if nothing else existed. I misunderstood. I'm sorry.

And for the record, the first post did not involve laptops. It was just a general "what about Macs" question.

Quote:
(other then the fact that you are a moron).
Since you have decided to insult me again, I'll point out that "then" is a temporal or conditional reference. I think you might want to try the word "than", which is a conjunction, used to introduce the "other option" after a comparison.

Quote:
Hmm. Never said PC's crash. I said windows does.
Again, I'm sorry. I should not have said "PC". I should have said "PC running some version of the Microsoft Windows operating system". Would that have pacified you? The point remains valid. The fact that you say Windows crashes does not mean that it is true. My "PC running some version of the Microsoft Windows operating system" does not crash. My "PC running some version of the Microsoft Windows operating system" has not crashed randomly since I upgraded to Microsoft Windows XP Professional.

Quote:
PC's can run unix or linux just as apples can. "Mac" refering to the OS hasnt crashed on me yet. Programs that run in teh OS have (which were ONLY the ones made by microsoft) according to my own experience.
Your hatred for Microsoft is quite obvious. Good for you. You're really "sticking it to the man".

Quote:
Well im done venting.
Brava

Quote:
All of this goes out to Curious George. Ive also noticed that quite a few of your threads seem like they were written by a 10 year old.
Should I go through and point out the rest of the grammatical errors you made? Stop it with the personal insults. They make you look petty and foolish.

Quote:
The quote i mentioned earlier about learning your stuff (without bias) before you start going off..... i was directing that mostly over to you. And a few nameless... ok i have better things to do now. goodbye.
I know my "stuff". I also know that Macintosh used a cooperative multitasking operating system until Mac OSX, so forgive me if I have little respect for Macintosh's "superior technology". I also know that Steve Jobs effectively told Linus Torvalds that he was wasting his time with Linux and that he should work for Apple. Yet now Linux is the most popular non-Windows OS for PC. So forgive me also for having trouble respecting Apple as a whole.

Quote:
One last thing curious george. Re-read what I first wrote and please tell me when I mentioned a PC (laptop) with a 300Mhz processor. I did mention my ibook 300. Maybe you should learn to
read FIRST.
This coming from someone who drug up the "I can use my multi-button mouse" argument again . . . . I misread. My point is still valid. New software should not be expected to run on old hardware.

Beside, I thought you said you were "done venting".

Quote:
it might help you get a girl someday.
I don't know how you expect me to respond to this.

Quote:
(yes... i contradicted myself there by straying from teh topic at hand).
You speak teh truth.

Quote:
Oh well. You have just lost your credibility so anything you say beyond this point is invalid.
I'm a little tea pot,
Short and stout.
Here is my handle.
Here is my spout.
When I get all steamed up,
Hear me shout.
Tip me over and pour me out.

For the freedom to express myself in my own way without fear of being censored or banned.

Old 20th January 2003, 08:31   #140
anamenotused

Do ya think i actually spend the time and effort on this forum when im sober?? please.....
Old 20th January 2003, 08:38   #141
anamenotused

Ok. curious george you did manage to not piss me of for once. YES I do hate microsoft probably more then anyone in this forum. I have written congress on ideas i have to end the monopoly.
Old 20th January 2003, 08:44   #142
zootm
Forum King

Quote:
Now. Take a look at what i said that made you say that. Yes i know what argueing is. Im in college and according to my major its what i do almost every single day.
then why did you criticise him for doing it? once again, persuasive debate. which involves taking one person's point and using it against them, or disproving it. and he didn't help your point. especially not intentionally. what is your major, as a matter of interest?

there shouldn't have been much unsupported (modern) hardware at the release of win2k - i suspect you were horribly unlucky. just like if you bought a USB piece of hardware for your mac and found that it only had windows drivers.

Old 20th January 2003, 08:51   #143
anamenotused

Management Information Systems is my maj. Thinking about Criminal Justice.....

Maybe i was unluckly i dont really know. I guess i dont care anyways because I upgraded everything when i got windows xp. and i plan on doing it once again to get the fastest pc desktop you can get (AMD based). As for my mac. I love it and havent had to do any upgrades. All of my USB devices work on it . (my hub, mouse, printer, scanner, and camera all work)
Old 20th January 2003, 08:53   #144
feroxis

Quote:
I have written congress on ideas i have to end the monopoly.
Laudable that you work towards your ideals, but why do you hate Microsoft? I think many would agree that their monopoly is a natural one. Due to the difficulties in implementation and adoptation of new operating systems in the general market, why is only having one operating system available necessarily a bad thing? Granted the potential for abuse is there, but thus far Microsoft has continued upgrading their software and I can't complain about XP or Office except to say that they're a bit expensive for my tastes.

If anything, I would argue that Microsoft has done little but good for the computing industry. By more or less unifying everyone under a system standard they've allowed computers to become universally accessible, adaptable, and chock full of usable software.

Or, to put it in terms you may understand, they bailed out Apple Corp.
Old 20th January 2003, 08:53   #145
Curi0us_George
Forum King

Quote:
Ok. curious george you did manage to not piss me of for once.
If my first reply to you pissed you off, then you really need some anger management therapy. If anything, though, my last reply was a lot more inflammatory.

Quote:
YES I do hate microsoft probably more then anyone in this forum. I have written congress on ideas i have to end the monopoly.
I'm not fully happy with some of Microsoft's practices, but overall I like them. I think they make some excellent products. They produce arguably the best development studio in the world, and Windows 2000 and XP are excellent as far as I'm concerned. I'm sorry you had such horrible luck with them. I didn't have any problems upgrading. Most of the upgrading problems that I heard about were actually due to proprietary OEM hardware. The manufacturers didn't want to supply Windows 2k/XP drivers, and Microsoft didn't want to spend its time developing drivers for rarely-used hardware components. That's not really Microsoft's responsibility.

Old 20th January 2003, 08:59   #146
anamenotused

Like microsoft all you want guys. My approach to end the monopoly isnt directed twards microsoft at all. It actually doesnt even concern them other then the fact that people will be given a choice. A choice what to use with equal opportunities. In lamens terms. You will have the choice to use whatever OS you wnat with all the available software as you would the other. Just like you have the choice to drive a Chevy, or a Ford, or...whatever. :-)
Old 20th January 2003, 09:06   #147
anamenotused

You want to see what microsft really does? Spend acouple minuts a day reading www.osnews.com. Its amazing the stuf microsoft gets away with.
Old 20th January 2003, 09:06   #148
Curi0us_George
Forum King

Quote:
You will have the choice to use whatever OS you wnat with all the available software as you would the other. Just like you have the choice to drive a Chevy, or a Ford, or...whatever. :-)
I don't really know how you expect that to be enacted. Microsoft will be required to produce an OS that can run on any hardware, and that can run Linux or Mac software? Will Apple be required to do the same? What about Linux? Sun? There's just no way, and no reason. You already have the choice. You can buy a PC, or you can buy a Mac, and you can run the OS that you choose: Windows, Linux, Mac OS, etc.

Your comparison to cars is flawed. You can't put a Chevy engine in a Ford car (without changing other things as well). You can't even put a big-block Chevrolet engine in a Chevy designed for a small-block engine.

Quote:
You want to see what microsft really does? Spend acouple minuts a day reading www.osnews.com. Its amazing the stuf microsoft gets away with.
The headline I saw was Apple's iApps Killing the Little Guys Softly?

Apple isn't some lovable, huggable company. The fact that they are smaller than Microsoft doesn't make them magically more moral.

Old 20th January 2003, 09:10   #149
feroxis

Quote:
In lamens terms.
The term isn't French or something. It's "laymen's terms" - as laymen are manual laborers it is assumed that they would have little propensity for technical vocabulary.

Quote:
Originally posted by anamenotused You will have the choice to use whatever OS you wnat with all the available software as you would the other.[/B]
While that's a perfect ideal, the implementation would be horrific. Having a standard API, etc, would be a nightmare and leave little room for innovation among developers. Every developer would have to change / update their OS before any program would work systemwide with the new code. It would quickly shift into the natural affair of things, and one OS would start to dominate the others. Laissez-faire capitalism will work in this way in this particular instance until there is a drastic change in the way programs and OSes relate.

Also note that if all OSes do the same thing in a very similar fashion, the differences are purely cosmetic. You can do plenty of those mods to your wintel system.
Old 20th January 2003, 09:10   #150
anamenotused

You cant put the windows kernel into the mac kernel and vice versa. You do have the choice to drive a chev or ford but when when you get things for each, you have to get ford of chev parts. You hate ford so you use a chev to get it to do what you want to do. You hate microsoft so you use linux to do what you want it to do. The difference? More is availabe for microsoft then linux. With cars??? Its about the same with chevy and ford comparably. I personally think its a good analogy.
Old 20th January 2003, 09:13   #151
anamenotused

feroxis stay out of this. THERE WOULDNT BE ANY DIFFERENT API, ETC....!!!!!! Perfect example, Adobe Photoshop. You can get it for the mac and you can get it for windows. No change in api what so f**king ever!

Yes i do need to take anger management :-)
Old 20th January 2003, 09:16   #152
anamenotused

yeah that story is talking about a program called MacAmp and how they arent going to continue to sell it because of itunes. Should we talk about how Microsft has done this a shitload more? they have even killed OS companies. (BeOS)
Old 20th January 2003, 09:19   #153
Curi0us_George
Forum King

Quote:
You cant put the windows kernel into the mac kernel and vice versa. You do have the choice to drive a chev or ford but when when you get things for each, you have to get ford of chev parts. You hate ford so you use a chev to get it to do what you want to do. You hate microsoft so you use linux to do what you want it to do. The difference? More is availabe for microsoft then linux. With cars??? Its about the same with chevy and ford comparably. I personally think its a good analogy.
More is available for Microsoft than Linux? Of course. It's also easier to walk into Pep-Boys and buy a part for your Chevy than it is to buy a part for a Porshe.

If you saying that all software manufacturers should be required to produce software that runs on all OSes, then you are indeed ignorant. It is not easy to port software to another OS.

Have you never wondered why Winamp for Mac is still not available? It's not worth the time for a lot of companies. They can't afford to produce the software.

I know that I, as a CS major, have no desire to port any of my projects to Mac. Most of my projects work under Windows, and only under Windows.

You can't expect everyone to produce software for Macintosh. Would you also say that everyone should produce software that runs under Linux? How about Solaris? OS/2? BeOS?

Quote:
feroxis stay out of this.
Public forums. He has as much right to respond to you as you had to respond to Joshuatree, or as I had to respond to you.

Quote:
THERE WOULDNT BE ANY DIFFERENT API, ETC....!!!!!! Perfect example, Adobe Photoshop. You can get it for the mac and you can get it for windows. No change in api what so f**king ever!
It required a lot of work to make Photoshop available for both Mac and Windows. A lot of plugins still aren't available for both. Surely you don't expect both Microsoft and Apple (along with everyone else who produces OSes) to throw away their current APIs to adopt some government mandated API.

Quote:
yeah that story is talking about a program called MacAmp and how they arent going to continue to sell it because of itunes. Should we talk about how Microsft has done this a shitload more? they have even killed OS companies. (BeOS)
I never said that Microsoft hasn't put companies out of business, but you talk about Apple as if they are some sort of holy, church-approved organization. The only real difference between Apple and Microsoft is that Microsoft managed to get Windows onto the market before Apple. Apple would be the same as Microsoft if it were in the same position.

Old 20th January 2003, 09:23   #154
anamenotused

As a CS major you should be educated to port any program to any platform. Closing youself off to one OS such as microsoft is gonna land you a low playing job considereing MOST companies use some form of unix-postix. By the way. I get to be your boss. hehe.
Old 20th January 2003, 09:25   #155
anamenotused

about the car thing. it all depends on where you look. if you buy a porshe, more then likely there is a porshe dealer near you where you go it. So you go there for parts. The car analogy works so just back off from it. What you are saying just isnt working against it. Visual Basic isnt going to get your far dude.
Old 20th January 2003, 09:27   #156
feroxis

Sorry, but it's quite a different matter to write a program for a Mac and a wintel machine.

I don't know what they teach MIS majors at your school, but you can't take the same code and have it magically work.

Making photoshop for windows and macintosh, while it does the same things on both OSes, requires a good deal more work than simply making Photoshop for one or the other. That's why they have to "port" things instead of "put the CD in the drive on the other system".

My point is that it would be more work than it would be worth, financially, to make programs for a multitude of operating systems all harmoniously competing, instead of making a program for simply one OS, or even two.

You must know that the bottom line is all that really matters to companies - they don't want to expend the energy and money to make and remake every single product 5 times, and if you make every single OS compatible you assume that there's no real competition. Every operating system manufacturer will continue adding new, proprietary features until they again become completely incompatible.

The only way to achieve your ideal of a multitude of compatible, harmoniously competitive operating systems would be through government regulation and bailouts. That would completely choke all development and innovation. I don't think anyone wants that.
Old 20th January 2003, 09:32   #157
anamenotused

"Microsoft is that Microsoft managed to get Windows onto the market before Apple"

Maybe you should read up on that. Microsoft stold the GUI from apple hence they were forced to buy stock from apple (stock that they had no say in with the company), and had to develop office and explorer for the OS as well.
Old 20th January 2003, 09:37   #158
feroxis

Quote:
Maybe you should read up on that. Microsoft stold the GUI from apple
And Apple stole the GUI from Xerox. There's hardly such a thing as an original idea any more.
Old 20th January 2003, 09:38   #159
anamenotused

Umm. The sold it to apple. Once again. read up on it.
Old 20th January 2003, 09:42   #160
Curi0us_George
Forum King

Quote:
As a CS major you should be educated to port any program to any platform. Closing youself off to one OS such as microsoft is gonna land you a low playing job considereing MOST companies use some form of unix-postix. By the way. I get to be your boss. hehe.
1. I can port to other platforms. That doesn't mean that I should be required to. Most companies produce exclusively for Microsoft. I seriously doubt that I'm ever going to have problems getting a job based on my preference toward Microsoft.

2. Most companies do not provide software for Unix. And Windows 2000/XP is POSIX compliant.

3. You will never be my boss. I plan to produce software. MIS majors do not get management positions in software firms.

Quote:
about the car thing. it all depends on where you look. if you buy a porshe, more then likely there is a porshe dealer near you where you go it. So you go there for parts. The car analogy works so just back off from it. What you are saying just isnt working against it.
The car analogy does not work.

1. Third party companies to not produce nearly as many products for Porsche as they do for GM/Ford.
2. The analogy falls apart because computers allow you to add new software and expand capabilities. The only thing you can really do for a car is replace parts with new parts that duplicate the function of the part you replaced.

Quote:
Visual Basic isnt going to get your far dude.
Who ever said anything about Visual Basic?

Quote:
Microsoft stold the GUI from apple hence they were forced to buy stock from apple (stock that they had no say in with the company), and had to develop office and explorer for the OS as well.

. . .

Umm. The sold it to apple. Once again. read up on it.
You are completely wrong. Xerox-PARC produced the first GUI, just as they produced the first mouse and numerous other technologies we take for granted. Both Apple and Microsoft stole the idea of the GUI from them.

Microsoft chose to buy stock in Apple. They were under no obligation to do so. They were also under no obligation to produce Office or Explorer for Mac. In fact, Microsoft has threatened to pull Office from the Mac if sales don't start to go up.

P.S. I added to my previous post as well.

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions