Old 3rd March 2003, 03:02   #1
seph2k

Linux - your opinions

First off, I'm a forum n00b so feel free to yell at me if I misplaced this topic. Second, I'm looking for opinions as to which is the best OS to go with (linux-wise obviously).
seph2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2003, 03:32   #2
Jay
Moderator Alumni

take your pick really you can format and install forever until you find one you like.
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2003, 03:59   #3
dlinkwit27
has no CT
(Forum King)

Send a message via ICQ to dlinkwit27 Send a message via AIM to dlinkwit27 Send a message via Yahoo to dlinkwit27
/sigh. another newb expecting to be yelled at. we sure to have a bad reputation as a forum.
dlinkwit27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2003, 04:24   #4
Atmo
The Freak
(Forum King)

Lycoris (used to be called redmond linux) is very windows like (which is good if you're used to the windows interface), and i didnt have any probs setting it up on my pc, except for a few minor issues with it wrongly detecting my video card.

I've never used mandrake9 or red hat8 on my current pc, as i cant get them to install (kernel bug detecting ide drives). But a friend of mine uses mandrake and its quite nice.
Atmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2003, 04:29   #5
Bizznatch
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to Bizznatch
Ive used Linux at work and I think it sucks.
Bizznatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2003, 04:31   #6
Jay
Moderator Alumni

red hat has a nifty new interface for 8.0 kind of like a windows XP but with a nix slant. pretty configurable. Most of my nix interactions are command line only however, so I usually don't care as long as it works. If you want to try out different os without all the fuss of formating checkout VMWARE or Virtual PC (however i can't install redhat or mandrake on virtual pc so I guess those are out
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2003, 04:42   #7
RanDom_ErrOr
Banned

Location: The loony bin, just outside of nutsville,USA. I would visit you, but my room is padded and i cant get out...
Send a message via ICQ to RanDom_ErrOr Send a message via AIM to RanDom_ErrOr
gentoo, you compile everything for your system, not to be taken on by a linux n00b, or even someone who knows that they are doing...

anyway, redhat, debian, mandrake *shudder* are all good for the linux n00b, or even for the xperienced user.
RanDom_ErrOr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2003, 04:46   #8
RanDom_ErrOr
Banned

Location: The loony bin, just outside of nutsville,USA. I would visit you, but my room is padded and i cant get out...
Send a message via ICQ to RanDom_ErrOr Send a message via AIM to RanDom_ErrOr
seph i love the sig!
RanDom_ErrOr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2003, 06:47   #9
primenumber

Send a message via AIM to primenumber Send a message via Yahoo to primenumber
Quote:
Originally posted by RanDom_ErrOr
seph i love the sig!
It's not true though.

Anyways, I just installed Mandrake 9 on my laptop. It's my first look at Linux and I'm enjoying it. It didn't detect my modem and I have video problem while playing some games. I have the drivers but am trying to install them. Other than that, I'm enjoying playing with a new OS.
primenumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2003, 06:57   #10
Anacific
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to Anacific
I didn't like Mandrake that much. I'd recommend using Redhat instead.
v8.1 seems pretty good.

"He who desires but acts not, breeds pestilence." - William Blake
WSPA | WWF | RSPCA | AAPA | Green Peace - Know and help...
The Rainforest Site | The Animal Rescue Site - Click and help...
Anacific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2003, 07:20   #11
s0be
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to s0be Send a message via AIM to s0be Send a message via Yahoo to s0be
I'd reccomend redhat for a newbie, then switch to debian once you're comfortable with it. Once you consider yourself profficient, I'd go to gentoo. I use gentoo now, have been for about 6 months. When I got back from christmas I completely uninstalled windows. I'm running all legitimate software on my system now and working towards 100% legality.

s0be

And On that day, the Lords of the land said unto their Master Architect, "The temple you have made to the gods of Wasabi and Maki has brought us no great prosperity" and they sent out him into the lands.

As he traveled to a far off land, he found he wasn't traveling alone, but that he had gained companions, and when they found their new land, they started work on a new temple, one that would be OPEN to all who wanted to worship.

from The Book of Wasabi C 12 Vs 09 (pg 2003)
s0be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2003, 11:48   #12
baafie
feminazi
(Major Dude)

(All of this is only my opinion etc blah blah..)

Unix-like operating systems are great. They're stable, powerful. However, they're not easy to use. Of course, you can stick to a nice GUI, but to fully take advantage of this type of operating systems you need to be experienced. Therefore I would recommend dual booting windows with some unix flavour, and tinker around in unix until you have grown accustomed to it, so you can migrate to unix.
baafie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2003, 14:12   #13
seph2k

Thanks guys, I'll have to think about it. I've heard of lindows (linux with a windows 98 interface) is it any good?
seph2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2003, 14:30   #14
Russ
Mostly Harmless
(Alumni)

I've dual-booted Linux and Windows for years, but I always seem to carry on using Windows. Windows just works, linux seems to always need something tweaking. Case in point: I bought a little USB CompactFlash drive a few months back. On Windows you just plug it in and it recognises it. In Linux you have to patch the kernel because for some odd reason that model isn't included in the supported devices list. Then recompile. Then reboot, and if you're lucky you'll only have to reboot once.

Linux is great fun to fiddle with - however far you get you'll learn something, but don't expect it to be fast and easy to configure. Some of the newer distributions are like that on the surface, but if you use them for any length of time you'll have to delve into the command-line.

As for Gentoo, it's great for those with a lot of patience, but the 48-hour installation time isn't for the faint of heart. It's fun - I'm running it at the moment, but it's just about to be replaced with Debian because I don't have time for recompiling everything.

Lindows is widely regarded by the open source community as a bit of a gimmick - their claims that it can run Windows software, and what's inferred by the name, will no doubt leave unsuspecting users of it with a bad taste in their mouth about linux in general. It's not able to run all Windows software, and they're trying to infer that it's an all-out alternative for Windows, which it isn't. I think this is more or less true for all Linux OSes - don't consider them as an alternative to Windows, because they aren't.

For a new user, I'd recommend Mandrake or Lycoris. Alternatively go with a CD-booting distro like Knoppix or the Gentoo LiveCD (which doesn't require you to compile it ), which won't touch your hard drive at all, and are fairly well-featured.

For long you live and high you fly, but only if you ride the tide, and balanced on the biggest wave you race towards an early grave.
|Musicbrainz|Audioscrobbler|last.fm|
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2003, 14:42   #15
binary hero
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to binary hero
i'm with russ. whilst linux may be a great idea and really powerful, i want my fancy UI, i want my easy hardware setup, i want my games and i want photoshop
binary hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2003, 15:05   #16
zootm
Forum King

yeah, i use win2k because it's good for what i do. until linux developers fully realise what people want/need, it'll remain primarily useful as a hobbyist's OS. and for that i recommend slackware.

zootm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2003, 15:18   #17
dlinkwit27
has no CT
(Forum King)

Send a message via ICQ to dlinkwit27 Send a message via AIM to dlinkwit27 Send a message via Yahoo to dlinkwit27
Quote:
Originally posted by s0be
I'm running all legitimate software on my system now and working towards 100% legality.

s0be
the man has gotten another one of us boys...

Old 3rd March 2003, 16:56   #18
cooky560
Major Dude

Send a message via MSN to cooky560 Send a message via Yahoo to cooky560 Send a message via Skype™ to cooky560
try Kde3

Cooky560 - Making Pointless Posts since 8/12/ 2002

WWW.
Victory Requires no explanation, defeat allows none.
All that Evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing
cooky560 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2003, 19:26   #19
baafie
feminazi
(Major Dude)

..That's not an operating system though, is it?
baafie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2003, 11:37   #20
secretmethod70

Send a message via AIM to secretmethod70 Send a message via Yahoo to secretmethod70
kde 3 is not an OS, it is a window manager. I recommend Mandrake for the newbie - it's what I started out on. As someone pointed out above, Linux is NOT an "alternative" to Windows - it is rather just simply, a different OS. It works differently, it handles things differently, etc.

I'm obligated to point out that many of the things the average user finds missing in Linux are not because Linux developers do not know what users want, but in most cases it is because the copmanies that own patents to software do not cooperate and help create Linux versions of things. Show demand and these things will come.

In the meantime, there are alternatives - for example, there is GIMP which you can use for most things you'd use Photoshop on.

Anyways, I recommend Mandrake because it is easy to install and it does hold your hand a little bit more than many other distros - and coming from Windows that's nice to help get you started. But you must not be afraid to look for help as well. Sign up for mailing lists - I found Mandrake-Newbie to be a GREAT help when I started using Linux.

Here's a great site that explains very well what the "root" user is to a newbie and why it's important that you don't always run it:

http://www.iodynamics.com/education/root101.html

Another great resource:

Although the description may sound like you need some Linux experience, the tutorials start out very much from a beginner's standpoint.

"By the end of this series of tutorials , you'll have the knowledge you need to become a Linux Systems Administrator and will be ready to attain an LPIC Level 1 certification from the Linux Professional Institute. Even for those not preparing for the certification exam, these tutorial are useful for Linux users who want to build stronger Linux skills. "

LPI certification 101 prep, Part 1 - Linux fundamentals
LPI certification 101 prep, Part 2 - Basic administration
LPI certification 101 prep, Part 3 - Intermediate administration
LPI certification 101 prep, Part 4 - Advanced administration
LPI certification 102 prep, Part 1 - Compiling sources and managing packages
LPI certification 102 prep, Part 2 - Configuring and compiling the kernel
LPI certification 102 prep, Part 3 - Networking
LPI certification 102 prep, Part 4 - Secure shell and file sharing

Note: A free registration is required."
secretmethod70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2003, 11:40   #21
binary hero
Banned

i have a start button, i click it, go to programs, then choose what i want to run. if i want to install something, i put the cd in the drive. it is easy and i like it.
Old 6th March 2003, 11:52   #22
secretmethod70

Send a message via AIM to secretmethod70 Send a message via Yahoo to secretmethod70
Quote:
Originally posted by binary hero
i have a start button, i click it, go to programs, then choose what i want to run. if i want to install something, i put the cd in the drive. it is easy and i like it.
LOL, yes. I'm not saying that those are needed to USE Linux by any means. But, if you want to take full advantage, it helps a lot. Just like with Windows - if you want to ADMINISTER a Windows system - and properly - there is just as much reading.

Nonetheless, no one's saying you shouldn't use Windows. If you like it, use it. But, there's no reason to complain how something's hard to use when you've had X years of experience with one (Windows) and little to none on the other (Linux). Remember, we all had to learn to use Windows at one point too.
secretmethod70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2003, 11:57   #23
binary hero
Banned

yeah, i suppose so. i'm just lazy, that's why i don't want to bother with linux
Old 21st March 2003, 22:31   #24
mark
Forum King

i want to try it but im NOT ditching windows.

try
ftp.redhat.com
mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2003, 05:27   #25
ctn|chrisw
Forum King

I recomend rehat. Mandrake didnt like my pc for some reason.

ctn|chrisw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2003, 16:53   #26
mark
Forum King

does anyone know whick iso's i need to download to use redhat. I dont need the source code discs but any extra programs etc would be nice.
Old 22nd March 2003, 16:59   #27
ctn|chrisw
Forum King

You need the first 3 isos

Old 22nd March 2003, 17:20   #28
mark
Forum King

ok
Old 22nd March 2003, 17:21   #29
n_ick2000
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to n_ick2000 Send a message via Yahoo to n_ick2000
Quote:
Originally posted by secretmethod70
kde 3 is not an OS, it is a window manager.
still not exactly right. Kde3 is not an OS OR a window manager. It's a desktop environment. It uses the KWin Window manager.

OS's are like Redhat, Mandrake, Debian, etc

Desktop Environments are KDE and Gnome. It's pretty much a full desktop shell.

Window Mangagers are like Kwin, Enlightenment, Fluxbox, Blackbox, Metacity, IceWM, Sawfish, Window Maker, etc. They just manage Windows.

edit: and yes, I use linux. Redhat 8.0, but will switch to Debian one of these days. Now, I am just using the Window Manager Enlightenment without any desktop environment.

|
n_ick2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2003, 17:45   #30
ctn|chrisw
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by n_ick2000
still not exactly right. Kde3 is not an OS OR a window manager. It's a desktop environment. It uses the KWin Window manager.

OS's are like Redhat, Mandrake, Debian, etc

Desktop Environments are KDE and Gnome. It's pretty much a full desktop shell.

Window Mangagers are like Kwin, Enlightenment, Fluxbox, Blackbox, Metacity, IceWM, Sawfish, Window Maker, etc. They just manage Windows.

edit: and yes, I use linux. Redhat 8.0, but will switch to Debian one of these days. Now, I am just using the Window Manager Enlightenment without any desktop environment.
you're a little wrong also linux is the OS, redhat, debian, etc are distributions

Old 22nd March 2003, 18:02   #31
mark
Forum King

ding ding ding WE HAVE A WEINER!
Old 22nd March 2003, 19:22   #32
n_ick2000
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to n_ick2000 Send a message via Yahoo to n_ick2000
yes, technically, but that's not the point.

|
n_ick2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2003, 22:42   #33
rpxmaster

Linux is the kernel. The entire operating system is called GnuLinux.
rpxmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2003, 22:45   #34
Russ
Mostly Harmless
(Alumni)

Bleh. Linux is the kernel. GNU/Linux is the OS. Redhat/debian/etc are distributions. If you want to be really anal.

For long you live and high you fly, but only if you ride the tide, and balanced on the biggest wave you race towards an early grave.
|Musicbrainz|Audioscrobbler|last.fm|
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2003, 22:54   #35
rpxmaster

Heh..."KDE is an operating system"..."Linux is an operating system"...let's just do what we always do and call X an operating system. I recall the Mozilla project referring to Mozilla as one.
Old 22nd March 2003, 22:58   #36
rpxmaster

I use Redhat 8.0 myself. It's pretty nice, but from my experience, it does really nasty things to DVD playback. True enough, you can edit a single line in a certain configuration file in order to get your movies to play properly, but it becomes really convenient to do this every time you recompile your kernel.

Oh, Redhat does not come with a DVD player program. However, it does come with XMMS.
Old 23rd March 2003, 04:38   #37
s0be
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to s0be Send a message via AIM to s0be Send a message via Yahoo to s0be
and always remember, there is no x-windows.

it's X, or Xfree86, or The X-Windowing System, but not x-windows.

s0be

And On that day, the Lords of the land said unto their Master Architect, "The temple you have made to the gods of Wasabi and Maki has brought us no great prosperity" and they sent out him into the lands.

As he traveled to a far off land, he found he wasn't traveling alone, but that he had gained companions, and when they found their new land, they started work on a new temple, one that would be OPEN to all who wanted to worship.

from The Book of Wasabi C 12 Vs 09 (pg 2003)
s0be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2003, 10:19   #38
mark
Forum King

does aol support linux?
i hate aol but my parents signed up years ago and when it came time to get DSL they wanted to keep their email adress so they got AOL Broadband
O.o

help me..............please!
Old 24th March 2003, 04:51   #39
rpxmaster

I thought AOL and Redhat were doing something a while back. What was it?
Old 24th March 2003, 05:36   #40
dlinkwit27
has no CT
(Forum King)

i remember hearing about that too...
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions