Old 22nd August 2003, 16:41   #1
dlinkwit27
has no CT
(Forum King)

Send a message via ICQ to dlinkwit27 Send a message via AIM to dlinkwit27 Send a message via Yahoo to dlinkwit27
The Official Stump Atmo Thread.

After reading thousands of tech questions in thousands of threads, I have come to the conclusion that Atmo knows all there is to know about computers. Or does he...? (dum dum dum!) This is thread where we post tech questions and atmo is going to answer them. C'mon people, let's stump him!
dlinkwit27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2003, 16:56   #2
d0rk
I contribute nothing.
(Forum King)

The power supply in my new ATX case does not seem to work. After I plugged the power supply and turned on the switch, the fan did not turn. I did not detect any voltage coming out of the power supply, either. Is this a defected power supply?

*found this on the net*

I came for the hatred.
I stayed for the ballbag.
d0rk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2003, 17:05   #3
Atmo
The Freak
(Forum King)

Quote:
The power supply in my new ATX case does not seem to work. After I plugged the power supply and turned on the switch, the fan did not turn. I did not detect any voltage coming out of the power supply, either. Is this a defected power supply?
Not necessarily.

If the 20 pin atx connector is correctly plugged into the motherboard, the power switch is also correctly connected, and it's known that no other hardware is faulty, then it's likely a deffective psu. The way to test it is to connect pin 14 to a ground (with a paperclip or similar) and then turn the power on at the wall. If the fan spins up, then the psu is working, if it's not, then the internal fuse may have blown (very possible if it's overloaded when it was first powered up) or it is in fact faulty.

P.s. you'll get me soon enough, i dont know everything...
Atmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2003, 17:11   #4
Ghoti

Pssst, Atmo!
You might want to tell him to be sure that the wall receptacle has power going to it.
If not, suggest that he check the circuit breaker for that circuit in his home's power panel.

Whoa! You see it too?!
Ghoti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2003, 17:14   #5
Atmo
The Freak
(Forum King)

Heh, i usually assume that if someone can replace a psu properly, then they can plug it into the power properly (and test whether the power outlet actually works).
Old 22nd August 2003, 17:15   #6
Vie
Forum King

Location: Thoron fields and Duranium shadows. Posts: Crap mostly
Name the first programable computer.

Member most in need of SpellCheck Lifetime Achievement Award

I'm a Twitch Streamer these days, it's weird.
Vie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2003, 17:16   #7
dlinkwit27
has no CT
(Forum King)

Send a message via ICQ to dlinkwit27 Send a message via AIM to dlinkwit27 Send a message via Yahoo to dlinkwit27
Quote:
Originally posted by Vie
Name the first programable computer.
that is not a tech question.
Old 22nd August 2003, 17:17   #8
Vie
Forum King

Location: Thoron fields and Duranium shadows. Posts: Crap mostly
bah, but I bet he dont know.

Member most in need of SpellCheck Lifetime Achievement Award

I'm a Twitch Streamer these days, it's weird.
Vie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2003, 17:18   #9
Atmo
The Freak
(Forum King)

Quote:
that is not a tech question.
True, but it was the Z1 (i knew it, but i needed google to confirm it).
Old 22nd August 2003, 17:18   #10
randman
Ol' Dirty Loser
(Major Dude)

Send a message via ICQ to randman Send a message via AIM to randman Send a message via Yahoo to randman
I run Windows XP SP1 Home edition on a single computer. Besides Windows Messenger, what other services are unnecessary? (I'm not talking about the built-in firewall, CD burner, Unzip tool, etc.)

I see no stinking sig! Do you see a stinking sig?
randman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2003, 17:22   #11
Atmo
The Freak
(Forum King)

Quote:
I run Windows XP SP1 Home edition on a single computer. Besides Windows Messenger, what other services are unnecessary?
There's quite a few that are uneeded.

I'll take the lazy way out this time, and link to black vipers service configuration page, since it explains it far better than i ever could.

http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm
Old 22nd August 2003, 17:22   #12
pixiefied
Mother Trucker

Send a message via Yahoo to pixiefied
my speakers cut out back and forth almost like the stereo quality is borked. when a song is played through my computer,it will switch constantly between the speakers. but when i play a movie.. its fine.

"Well, got to love you and leave you, need to go get into the shower and rub my hard naked body all over with soapy bubbles, I'll be back later to carry on playing....

It'll take you some time to get over the image of me naked in the shower......mind you don't masturbate to hard thinking about it...."
- Mr.Jones
pixiefied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2003, 17:31   #13
Atmo
The Freak
(Forum King)

Quote:
my speakers cut out back and forth almost like the stereo quality is borked. when a song is played through my computer,it will switch constantly between the speakers. but when i play a movie.. its fine.
If the song is being played from a cd, and digital extraction is disabled (requiring the cable with the 4 pin connector on each end to be connected to both the sound card and cdrom drive), then it's possible the connection at one (or both) ends is loose, or the cable is damaged and the wires themselves are bridging. Vibrations from the speakers or fans/hard drives could cause the cable to move enough to not make contact or bridge the wires intermittently (yeh i know it's a longshot, but i've seen it happen).

If it's an mp3, wave or some other format being played from a digital source, then it's most likely either a driver problem, or a problem with the player itself.
Old 22nd August 2003, 17:34   #14
dlinkwit27
has no CT
(Forum King)

Atmo: 5
Questions: 0

Go atmo!
Old 22nd August 2003, 18:05   #15
mikm
Major Dude

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=143476

The only time I've ever seen Atmo with a tech support question.

powered by C₂H₅OH
mikm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2003, 20:28   #16
dlinkwit27
has no CT
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by m²k
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=143476

The only time I've ever seen Atmo with a tech support question.
No! It's fake! It can't be! What is happening to me! Black is white, blue is red. NOOOOOO!
Old 22nd August 2003, 21:56   #17
Smeggle
Just Strolling By
(Major Dude)

Em What's a code10 USB Problem ..And the fix of course....

Music is Life, Love and Happiness :|: Life is Music. Serren - 1985 - 2005
Religion? Religion is a Blasphemy against humanity - From the film What the Bleep do we know

siggy link So stumbling? whats it all about
Smeggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2003, 02:22   #18
dlinkwit27
has no CT
(Forum King)

anyone else wanna have a go at him?
Old 23rd August 2003, 02:29   #19
Mr. Brownstone

why do many kazaa-downloaded songs have distorted and deafening sound glitches a few seconds into playing?

why does winamp crash between tracks after being opened for a long time?
Mr. Brownstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2003, 02:37   #20
griffinn
Court Jester
(Forum King)

Send a message via ICQ to griffinn
Sometimes after installing a Windows patch, the system asks if I wanna reboot, but sometimes it doesn't.

Next time the system asks the question, how do I tell if it's just kidding or really needs to reboot?

The smiley slot machine! | Quotable Blog
griffinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2003, 04:24   #21
J. Burnaway
Forum King

Send a message via Yahoo to J. Burnaway
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Brownstone
why do many kazaa-downloaded songs have distorted and deafening sound glitches a few seconds into playing?
I would guess the RIAA has something to do with that - flooding kazaa with borked songs to piss you off so you leave (in that case it really wouldn't be a computer tech problem, so I don't feel too bad not waiting for Atmo to answer...and I am probably wrong anyways)
J. Burnaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2003, 06:23   #22
jakeledel
Banned

how can i get rid of my mouse blip thingy
?

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....hreadid=144320
jakeledel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2003, 06:25   #23
Psythik
Got his CT back
and didn't pay $10
(Forum King)

oh, oh, I got one!

Lately my speakers have been going whacko. I plug my headphones in, but I get no sound until I fiddle around for about an hour with hardly any results. Since I figure the speakers are busted, I just plug my headphones directly into my pc, however, that leaves me with high-treble sound w/little bass, since the amp is built in to the speakers, not the soundcard. Anyway, how do I restore the bass when running regular programs that don't have an equilizer? (I already checked my soundcard volume, and it doesn't have a bass control) On top of that, whatever your solution is cannot affect Winamp output, but it can to everything else.

This is a sig of some nature.
Psythik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2003, 06:57   #24
oNaMiSsIo
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to oNaMiSsIo
atmo is a tech support god.

My advice is to start drinking heavily. - John Belushi, Animal House
oNaMiSsIo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2003, 18:10   #25
Atmo
The Freak
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by Smeggle
Em What's a code10 USB Problem ..And the fix of course....
I think we went over this one other time didnt we?

Code 10 means the device cannot start, which is usually a driver problem.

Refer to these knowledge base articles for the fix.

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;297511
http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;329184

Quote:
how can i get rid of my mouse blip thingy
?

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread...threadid=144320
By the looks of it, you have some form of 3rd party drivers which are removing the option to disable it.

In control panel > add/remove programs, look for your mouse drivers and uninstall them. Reboot and check if the option to turn off the mouse blip when the control key is pressed is there, then re-install the mouse drivers if they're needed. With a bit of luck they wont re-enable it. If they do, look for an updated driver.

Quote:
Lately my speakers have been going whacko. I plug my headphones in, but I get no sound until I fiddle around for about an hour with hardly any results. Since I figure the speakers are busted, I just plug my headphones directly into my pc, however, that leaves me with high-treble sound w/little bass, since the amp is built in to the speakers, not the soundcard. Anyway, how do I restore the bass when running regular programs that don't have an equilizer? (I already checked my soundcard volume, and it doesn't have a bass control) On top of that, whatever your solution is cannot affect Winamp output, but it can to everything else.
Control panel > sounds and audio devices > volume tab > advanced. Go to options, and tick advanced controls. An advanced button should appear under the master volume control, giving you bass and treble controls. If the bass and treble controls are greyed out, it means you have drivers installed which can control the bass/treble themselves.

Quote:
atmo is a tech support god.
Then why dont i have tech support job offers flooding in??

I'm not a god, i just spend way too much time at tech forums.
Old 23rd August 2003, 18:13   #26
dlinkwit27
has no CT
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by Atmo
Then why dont i have tech support job offers flooding in??

I'm not a god, i just spend way too much time at tech forums.
becuase we here at the forums havn't done a good job of spamming your name to the companies. Sometime this weekend I plan of e-mailed HP, M$, Compaq, Sony, and any other computer type company i can think of. Who's with me?
Old 23rd August 2003, 18:16   #27
ryan
not fucked, not quite.
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to ryan
nevermind <3 baafie
ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2003, 20:43   #28
Psythik
Got his CT back
and didn't pay $10
(Forum King)

Quote:
Control panel > sounds and audio devices > volume tab > advanced. Go to options, and tick advanced controls. An advanced button should appear under the master volume control, giving you bass and treble controls. If the bass and treble controls are greyed out, it means you have drivers installed which can control the bass/treble themselves.
Hmm, no "sounds and audio devices" in control panel. The closest thing to that is "Sounds and Multimedia", which has no " volume tab > advanced" tabs.

Old 23rd August 2003, 20:52   #29
Atmo
The Freak
(Forum King)

Ok, which version of windows are you using?

If you're using 98/2000 you should have a speaker icon in the taskbar, click on that, go to options and select advanced controls. Then the advanced button should show up under master volume, allowing you to adjust bass and treble.
Old 23rd August 2003, 21:18   #30
randman
Ol' Dirty Loser
(Major Dude)

Send a message via ICQ to randman Send a message via AIM to randman Send a message via Yahoo to randman
How do I get rid of this annoying bar on the XP Start Menu? (See attachment.) I did it before and I don't remember it being complicated. I did a clean install of XP and I can't get rid of it and it's ugly and driving me mad. Mad, I tell you!!
Attached Images
File Type: gif ss.gif (13.9 KB, 207 views)

Old 23rd August 2003, 21:46   #31
Atmo
The Freak
(Forum King)

Right click the taskbar > start menu tab > customise. In the advanced start menu options, tick 'show small icons in start menu'.

The system identity bar will dissapear, but your icons will be smaller.

The other way would be to use reshacker to edit explorer.exe, and make that image the same color as the start menu background color, but it would still take up the same ammount of space.
Old 23rd August 2003, 21:48   #32
randman
Ol' Dirty Loser
(Major Dude)

Thanks. I knew it was something simple. I'm such an ejit.

Old 23rd August 2003, 22:17   #33
Psythik
Got his CT back
and didn't pay $10
(Forum King)

Quote:
Ok, which version of windows are you using?

If you're using 98/2000 you should have a speaker icon in the taskbar, click on that, go to options and select advanced controls. Then the advanced button should show up under master volume, allowing you to adjust bass and treble.
Unfortunately, I'm using winME.

All I have is an advanced icon under microphone and the bass and treble controls are grayed-out. That's why I was hoping that there would be an alternative.

Old 23rd August 2003, 22:22   #34
kichik
M.I.A.
[NSIS Dev, Mod]

Here's a problem I had a few years ago:

I have just installed my new GeFORCE and no matter what drivers I have used, no matter what Windows updates I have applied it always had some of the following problems:
  • Screen "jumping" every few minutes, divided into blocks, or stripes, some black, some purple, some from the original image displayed. It just "jumped" to that situation and then returned to normal after a split of a second.
  • Starcraft had this weird habit of lagging out and hanging the computer while counting out to the drop.
  • GeFORCE's VR glasses never worked, it simply ignored me.
  • Every time I switched the screen resolution the screen would fill with junk and only switch it for real after a few seconds.
  • Other games also hanged the computer for no apparent reason all the time.
  • Direct3D always gave me hell.
  • My internet connection has also become crazy. Sometimes it wouldn't connect, sometimes it was just painfully slow.

The relevant specs are Windows 98, ASUS GeFORCE 256, Yamaha sound card and ISDN.

I have contacted ASUS about this but they never responded. The solution to my problem was in the mail I sent them, I said I think it was the problem. Had they confirmed... Same thing happened with the computer lab.

So, what does the doctor have to say?

NSIS FAQ | NSIS Home Page | Donate $
"I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand." -- Confucius
kichik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2003, 22:53   #35
Atmo
The Freak
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by kichik
Here's a problem I had a few years ago:

I have just installed my new GeFORCE and no matter what drivers I have used, no matter what Windows updates I have applied it always had some of the following problems:
  • Screen "jumping" every few minutes, divided into blocks, or stripes, some black, some purple, some from the original image displayed. It just "jumped" to that situation and then returned to normal after a split of a second.
  • Starcraft had this weird habit of lagging out and hanging the computer while counting out to the drop.
  • GeFORCE's VR glasses never worked, it simply ignored me.
  • Every time I switched the screen resolution the screen would fill with junk and only switch it for real after a few seconds.
  • Other games also hanged the computer for no apparent reason all the time.
  • Direct3D always gave me hell.
  • My internet connection has also become crazy. Sometimes it wouldn't connect, sometimes it was just painfully slow.

The relevant specs are Windows 98, ASUS GeFORCE 256, Yamaha sound card and ISDN.

I have contacted ASUS about this but they never responded. The solution to my problem was in the mail I sent them, I said I think it was the problem. Had they confirmed... Same thing happened with the computer lab.

So, what does the doctor have to say?
First thing i'd usually suspect is a dud card, or driver issues but there are other possibilities.

The power supply may not have been able to supply enough current, or there may have been insufficent cooling, either insufficient airflow through the case, or an improperly mounted heatsink/fan on the card (i've also seen video cards ship with no thermal paste between the gpu and hsf).

There may have been an irq conflict between the video card and soundcard/other hardware. Windows 98 didnt handle irq conflicts particularly well. The solution being to either manually assign an irq to a slot in the bios, enable acpi or to swap slots for other hardware.

It's possible the card was simply incompatible with the motherboard, an updated bios (for both the card and mobo) may have solved that.

It's also possible the slot the card was in had enough dust/crud in it to prevent proper contact from the pins in the slot to the traces on the card. I've fixed a pc that had that exact problem, took me hours to find it, and a quick squirt with compressed air fixed it.

It's possible you didnt ground yourself before installing the card, and the built up static in your body zapped one of the chips, but not one that was critical for the card to actually work.

I've actually got a similar problem with the old voodoo banshee pci card i use to run the third monitor in my main rig. Occasionally on boot i'm presented with a garbled screen. The card works 100% fine in any of my other pc's, so i'm guessing it's a driver or incompatibily problem. However, since it's only running my third monitor i can just go into display properties on my primary, disable and re-enable it and it works fine from then on. So it's more of an annoyance than a real problem.
Old 23rd August 2003, 22:57   #36
SSJ4 Gogitta
Followed by Gnomes
(Forum King)

Location: West Virginia Googolplex: 10^10¹°° FB:/SSJ4.DominusDeus DeviantArt: DominusDeus XboX GT: A Wild Meeseeks Playstation 4: DominusDeus
Send a message via AIM to SSJ4 Gogitta
I would guess bad pins in the connector that goes to the monitor.

SSJ4 Gogitta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2003, 22:57   #37
kichik
M.I.A.
[NSIS Dev, Mod]

Quote:
There may have been an irq conflict between the video card and soundcard/other hardware. Windows 98 didnt handle irq conflicts particularly well. The solution being to either manually assign an irq to a slot in the bios, enable acpi or to swap slots for other hardware.
That's the one. Damn!

I've since moved to Windows 2000 because I didn't have any spare IRQs and it solved all of the problems.

NSIS FAQ | NSIS Home Page | Donate $
"I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand." -- Confucius
kichik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2003, 23:03   #38
Atmo
The Freak
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by SSJ4 Gogitta
I would guess bad pins in the connector that goes to the monitor.
That may have explained this:

"Screen "jumping" every few minutes, divided into blocks, or stripes, some black, some purple, some from the original image displayed. It just "jumped" to that situation and then returned to normal after a split of a second."

and this:

"Every time I switched the screen resolution the screen would fill with junk and only switch it for real after a few seconds."

But bad a bad connection from the monitor to the card wouldnt have caused crashing, the 3d glasses to not work, D3D problems and the problems with the isdn connection.
Old 24th August 2003, 01:00   #39
ujay
Forum King

A couple of problems I have with win2k.

If I try and delete a file that is still being used elsewhere them the dialog box flashes up on screen and dissapears immediately. It happens in some other circumstances as well.

If I run 'system information' everything comes up 'unknown'

UJ
ujay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2003, 01:14   #40
Atmo
The Freak
(Forum King)

Quote:
If I try and delete a file that is still being used elsewhere them the dialog box flashes up on screen and dissapears immediately. It happens in some other circumstances as well.
Hmm. What's running in the background? Services?

Quote:
If I run 'system information' everything comes up 'unknown'
I've never had that problem myself, but then again i rarely use ms' system information tool. Download aida32 (this is a far better sysinfo tool than ms'), and see if it picks up everything.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions