Old 25th March 2006, 07:25   #1
rohan_pwln
Major Dude

GirlFriend 1.0 - Software Helpline Excerpt

I'm currently running the latest version of GirlFriend and I've been having some problems lately. I've been running the same version of DrinkingBuddies 1.0 forever as my primary application, and all the GirlFriend releases I've tried have always conflicted with it. I hear that DrinkingBuddies won't crash if GirlFriend is run in background mode and the sound is turned off. But I'm embarrassed to say I can't find the switch to turn the sound off. I just run them separately, and it works okay.

Girlfriend also seems to have a problem co-existing with my Golf program, often trying to abort Golf with some sort of timing incompatibility. I probably should have stayed with GirlFriend 1.0, but I thought I might see better performance from GirlFriend 2.0. After months of conflicts and other problems, I consulted a friend who has had experience with GirlFriend 2.0. He said I probably didn't have enough cache to run GirlFriend 2.0, and eventually it would require a Token Ring to run properly. He was right - as soon as I purged my cache, it uninstalled itself.

Shortly after that, I installed GirlFriend 3.0 beta. All the bugs were supposed to be gone, but the first time I used it, it gave me a virus anyway. I had to clean out my whole system and shutdown for a while.

I very cautiously upgraded to GirlFriend 4.0. This time I used a SCSI probe first and also installed a virus protection program. It worked okay for a while until I discovered that GirlFriend 1.0 was still in my system. I tried running GirlFriend 1.0 again with GirlFriend 4.0 still installed, but GirlFriend 4.0 has a feature I didn't know about that automatically senses the presence of any other version of GirlFriend and communicates with it in some way, which results in the immediate removal of both versions. The version I have now works pretty well, but there are still some problems. Like all versions of GirlFriend, it is in some obscure language that I can't understand, much less reprogram. Frankly I think there is too much attention paid to the look and feel rather than the desired functionality. Also, to get the best connections with your hardware, you usually have to use gold-plated contacts. And I've never liked how GirlFriend was totally ''object-oriented.''

A year ago, a friend of mine upgraded his version of GirlFriend to GirlFriendPlus 1.0, which is a Terminate and Stay Resident version of GirlFriend. He discovered that GirlFriendPlus 1.0 expires within a year if you don't upgrade to Fiancee 1.0. So he did, but soon after that, he had to upgrade to Wife 1.0, which he describes as a huge resource hog. It has taken up all his space, so he can't load anything else. One of the primary reasons he decided to go with Wife 1.0 was because it came bundled with *******Plus. Well, it turns out the resource allocation module of Wife 1.0 sometimes prohibits access to *******Plus, particularly the new Plug-Ins he wanted to try. On top of that, Wife 1.0 must be running on a well warmed-up system before he can do anything. Although he did not ask for it, Wife 1.0 came with MotherInLaw, which has an automatic pop-up feature he can't turn off.

I told him to try installing Mistress 1.0, but he said he heard if you try to run it without first uninstalling Wife 1.0, Wife 1.0 will delete MSMoney files before doing the uninstall itself. Then Mistress 1.0 won't install anyway because of insufficient resources.

My MAKI contribs.: STONE
My WebSite My Blog My Skins: fnk 32 Rioport v1 Sienna Burning Steel
My Saying: Eat healthy, Stay fit... Die Anyway
rohan_pwln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2006, 08:44   #2
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

Send a message via Yahoo to Too-DAMN-Much
do i even want to know what those prog's are for?
hmmm?

I hate everyone, so you don't have to.
Too-DAMN-Much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2006, 13:59   #3
rohan_pwln
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by Too-DAMN-Much
do i even want to know what those prog's are for?
hmmm?
for those times when u get bored of reality.

My MAKI contribs.: STONE
My WebSite My Blog My Skins: fnk 32 Rioport v1 Sienna Burning Steel
My Saying: Eat healthy, Stay fit... Die Anyway
rohan_pwln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2006, 14:25   #4
JaVS_v2.5
Forum King

Send a message via Yahoo to JaVS_v2.5
What's GirlFriend 1.0? A game..

online dating?

http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark...lfriendv10.htm

Last played [offline]: Lamb of God - Nippon
-- JaVS :: h i p o t e s i s
JaVS_v2.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2006, 14:54   #5
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

Wasn't this very thing just posted here like two months ago?

Why yes, it sure was!

You're starting to resemble a Shabaclone.
ElChevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2006, 17:00   #6
fastingaciu
Major Dude

Re: GirlFriend 1.0 - Software Helpline Excerpt

Quote:
Originally posted by rohan_pwln
I'm currently running the latest version of GirlFriend and I've been having some problems lately. I've been running the same version of DrinkingBuddies 1.0 forever as my primary application, and all the GirlFriend releases I've tried have always conflicted with it. I hear that DrinkingBuddies won't crash if GirlFriend is run in background mode and the sound is turned off. But I'm embarrassed to say I can't find the switch to turn the sound off. I just run them separately, and it works okay.

Girlfriend also seems to have a problem co-existing with my Golf program, often trying to abort Golf with some sort of timing incompatibility. I probably should have stayed with GirlFriend 1.0, but I thought I might see better performance from GirlFriend 2.0. After months of conflicts and other problems, I consulted a friend who has had experience with GirlFriend 2.0. He said I probably didn't have enough cache to run GirlFriend 2.0, and eventually it would require a Token Ring to run properly. He was right - as soon as I purged my cache, it uninstalled itself.

Shortly after that, I installed GirlFriend 3.0 beta. All the bugs were supposed to be gone, but the first time I used it, it gave me a virus anyway. I had to clean out my whole system and shutdown for a while.

I very cautiously upgraded to GirlFriend 4.0. This time I used a SCSI probe first and also installed a virus protection program. It worked okay for a while until I discovered that GirlFriend 1.0 was still in my system. I tried running GirlFriend 1.0 again with GirlFriend 4.0 still installed, but GirlFriend 4.0 has a feature I didn't know about that automatically senses the presence of any other version of GirlFriend and communicates with it in some way, which results in the immediate removal of both versions. The version I have now works pretty well, but there are still some problems. Like all versions of GirlFriend, it is in some obscure language that I can't understand, much less reprogram. Frankly I think there is too much attention paid to the look and feel rather than the desired functionality. Also, to get the best connections with your hardware, you usually have to use gold-plated contacts. And I've never liked how GirlFriend was totally ''object-oriented.''

A year ago, a friend of mine upgraded his version of GirlFriend to GirlFriendPlus 1.0, which is a Terminate and Stay Resident version of GirlFriend. He discovered that GirlFriendPlus 1.0 expires within a year if you don't upgrade to Fiancee 1.0. So he did, but soon after that, he had to upgrade to Wife 1.0, which he describes as a huge resource hog. It has taken up all his space, so he can't load anything else. One of the primary reasons he decided to go with Wife 1.0 was because it came bundled with *******Plus. Well, it turns out the resource allocation module of Wife 1.0 sometimes prohibits access to *******Plus, particularly the new Plug-Ins he wanted to try. On top of that, Wife 1.0 must be running on a well warmed-up system before he can do anything. Although he did not ask for it, Wife 1.0 came with MotherInLaw, which has an automatic pop-up feature he can't turn off.

I told him to try installing Mistress 1.0, but he said he heard if you try to run it without first uninstalling Wife 1.0, Wife 1.0 will delete MSMoney files before doing the uninstall itself. Then Mistress 1.0 won't install anyway because of insufficient resources.

Quote:
Originally posted by ScorLibran
Install Lawyer 5.1, then run the sub-application Divorce 3.0

For me this procedure successfully removed both Wife 1.0 and Wife 2.0

One day I might install Wife 3.0, but only after I'm sure it's stable. To be sure beforehand, I'll run Letslivetogetherforacoupleofyearsfirst 7.1.3

Those who can do, do; those who can't do, teach.
fastingaciu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2006, 19:21   #7
Smeggle
Just Strolling By
(Major Dude)

Quote:
Originally posted by ElChevelle
Wasn't this very thing just posted here like two months ago?

Why yes, it sure was!

You're starting to resemble a Shabaclone.
Wondered why I was having a sudden case of 'Deja - Vu'

Hides under hat quickly...

Music is Life, Love and Happiness :|: Life is Music. Serren - 1985 - 2005
Religion? Religion is a Blasphemy against humanity - From the film What the Bleep do we know

siggy link So stumbling? whats it all about
Smeggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2006, 19:33   #8
rockouthippie
Banned

Subroutine for DrinkingBuddies 1.0 fails after B*llshit 1.0 takes over and you notice is all they want to do is empty Refrigerator 1.0 of your Beer 5.0.

Subroutine for Wife 1.0 running with DrinkingBuddies 2.0 and Psychob*tch 11.5.

PeacefulExistence 1.0 runs nicely with NiceDog 5.0. Beer 5.0 becomes obsolete, because you don't need it if your not running DrinkingBuddies 1.0 or Wife 1.0, who you couldn't stand while running Sober 1.0.

Lawyer 5.1 and Divorce 2.0 is Expensive 9.0, but worth it.

Smile 1.0 hadn't been run in 10 years, but now is a TSR.

Last edited by rockouthippie; 26th March 2006 at 19:49.
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2006, 23:16   #9
Jay
Moderator Alumni

yea, quite a while ago I tried running GirlFriend 1.0 beta and it was terrible, the GUI was awesome looking but none of the GUI elements worked as described. The documentation was completely off or missing in a lot of cases as well. It was so bad that I just went with Internet 1.0 and DrinkingBuddies 1.0. They seemed to be perfect for the most part. However I missed alot of the promised features in GirlFriend 1.0. After some investigating I got GirlFriend 2.0 and so far it hasn't had any problems but I do hear that like Windows 98 it may become unstable the longer it stays on your system and the more it is used. We'll see.
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2006, 00:20   #10
ScorLibran
Resident Floydian

Quote:
Originally posted by rockouthippie
Subroutine for DrinkingBuddies 1.0 fails after B*llshit 1.0 takes over and you notice is all they want to do is empty Refrigerator 1.0 of your Beer 5.0.
True, but it's still less of a resource hog that any version the Girlfriend app.

Quote:
Subroutine for Wife 1.0 running with DrinkingBuddies 2.0 and Psychob*tch 11.5.
Ah, I've got lots of experience with Psychobitch 11.5, and all other versions, for that matter. RestrainingOrder 3.0 fixes all the problems the Psychobitch application causes.

Quote:
PeacefulExistence 1.0 runs nicely with NiceDog 5.0.
All I run now is PeacefulExistence 1.0, except instead of NiceDog I run TwoNiceCats 6.2. Out of all the experience I've got with all the other apps mentioned in this thread, this combination is the best for maintaining a stable and reliable system.

I'm a psychosomatic sister running around without a leash.
ScorLibran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2006, 03:51   #11
yenerich
Banned

I hope that GirlFriend 1.0 don't connect with MyBestFriend 2.0 using Cheating 1.5 !!!
yenerich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2006, 17:10   #12
ScorLibran
Resident Floydian

If Girlfriend 1.0 uses Cheat 1.5 to interface with MyBestFriend 2.0, then the app wasn't really MyBestFriend 2.0. It was an imposter. Because the real MyBestFriend 2.0 is incapable of interfacing in that way with the Girlfriend app.

You get that sometimes, unfortunately...an application posing as another. Such infiltrations are becoming more and more common, in fact.

Old 27th March 2006, 18:09   #13
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to k_rock923
Girlfriend 1.0 was infected by the virus Insecure beta. I installed NoIWon'tCheatOnYou firewall however, it couldn't stop the virus. The virus eventually took over the entire system. Things got so bad that only a reformat could solve the problem. I now scan all software thoroughly before installing it and I just ordered a volume license for trojan security software to use with potential girlfriend 43.5

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
k_rock923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2006, 18:57   #14
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by k_rock923
Girlfriend 1.0 was infected by the virus Insecure beta. I installed NoIWon'tCheatOnYou firewall however, it couldn't stop the virus.
Yeah, that's a bad one. However, I've noticed that Insecure beta usually isn't really that at all, it's a Trojan. It's usually Cheater 1.0, pretending to be Insecure beta.

Cheater 1.0 doesn't like to run without Justification 2.0.

Justification 2.0 can't run unless Excuse 1.0 is running.

You'll feel pretty silly that you ran NoIwontCheatonYouFirewall. Actually, I've never seen Insecure beta actually be Insecure beta. One time it took me two years after what I thought was Insecure beta erasing itself to find that out. Insecure beta (Cheater 1.0 Trojan) ran with TattleTale 1.0 that informed me of my error in diagnosing the system failure.

I run Straightshooter 10. Insecure beta wouldn't run if it was real.

So when you run into Insecure beta, look for the Cheater 1.0 trojan, especially if you are running documented Straightshooter 10.

I suppose it's possible that Insecure beta could really be that, but I haven't seen it.

Last edited by rockouthippie; 27th March 2006 at 19:44.
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2006, 21:43   #15
fwgx
Rudolf the Red.
(Forum King)

God, It's like 1999 all over again

"We think science is interesting and if you disagree, you can fuck off."
fwgx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2006, 22:32   #16
fastingaciu
Major Dude

Quote:
Yeah, that's a bad one.
That's not that as bad as purchasing girlfriend vs.2 without uninstaling girlfirend vs.1 and then girlfriend vs.2 runs a check and finds the other version, and after that girlfirend vs.2 will run a format and in the end you wont get any version.

Those who can do, do; those who can't do, teach.
fastingaciu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2006, 22:51   #17
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

You guys should all delete Nerd 1.0
ElChevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2006, 22:55   #18
ScorLibran
Resident Floydian

Yes! Until you get rid of Nerd 1.0 and Virgin 1.0, you'll never be able to run any sexy apps.

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions