Old 8th August 2022, 13:26   #201
Mikey7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Egg View Post
It also looks like the Runtime DLLs we include in the “Winamp\Microsoft.VC142.CRT” folder aren't enough on some Windows 7 - 8.1 systems.

If Winamp is crashing on load for you on Win7-8.1, then try installing the full VS2019 Runtime Redistributable package from:

- https://www.itechtics.com/microsoft-...edistributable

- https://aka.ms/vs/16/release/vc_redist.x86.exe

We could make the Winamp installer check the registry to see if it's already installed, and if not, attempt to download and install it - but as we've found with DirectX and WM9, it doesn't always work (probably because of local firewall blocking it).

Or we could add that MS installer to our installer (maybe have a separate installer for Win7-8.1)?
But it would add anything up to 13mb to our installer...

Or we could just add it to the FAQs (forum, wiki, Help, etc), i.e. if Winamp doesn't load at all on Win7-8.1, please install this!

What a shemozzle, eh?
Unfortunately most users won't read. It has to be in the most conspicuous place. How about a big warning card at the beginning of the installer, with a yes/no choice to proceed with installing the runtimes?

Winamp 5.9 RC4 & Modern Skins: Quinto CT 3.6 & Big Bento Modern 1.2.
MS Surface Pro 8 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-1185G7 @ 3.00GHz
Windows 11 22622.601. Avatar art by Zohaib Khan
Mikey7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2022, 13:31   #202
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey7 View Post
Unfortunately most users won't read. It has to be in the most conspicuous place. How about a big warning card at the beginning of the installer, with a yes/no choice to proceed with installing the runtimes?

Yes, I thought about that too.

We've already got a similar warning for DirectX (if d3dx9_31.dll and d3dx9_42.dll are missing, and our installer fails to download & install them).

If we could make both warnings into a clickable link (the DirectX one is currently just text), then maybe it's a feasible solution?

Not the best of user experiences...
DJ Egg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2022, 13:35   #203
Mikey7

Quote:
Yes, I thought about that too.

We've already got a similar warning for DirectX (if d3dx9_31.dll and d3dx9_42.dll are mssing, and our installer fails to download & install them).

If we could make both warnings into a clickable link (the DirectX one is currently just text), then maybe it's a feasible solution?

Not the best of user experiences...
Considering that you're trying to maintain compatibility all the way back to Windows 7/8.1, those users need to understand that Winamp needed to move into the future to support modern Windows versions and can only *try* to meet the needs to older OS users. I've been very, very pleased with the user experience, especially once I found some earlier versions of plugins I use to tide me over until RC2. Of course, I'm a Win 11 user so there's that.

Old 8th August 2022, 16:48   #204
w7amp

I have installed "winamp59_9999_rc1_full_en-us.exe" but I did not uninstall the previous version (5.666). I choose same folder as version 5.666 (C:\Program files (x86)\Winamp) .

My O.S. is Windows 7 SP1.

It seems 2 main problems:
- I open the media library (Alt+L) correctly, but when I double-clic on "WINAMP LIBRARY" up bar nothing happens (it should retract as previous version). This happened too in another newer version than I tested some years ago (newer than 5.666).
- General purpose plugins: gen_tray.dll appears as NOT LOADED (I cannot show my play-pause, next, back, stop buttons on my Windows bar).
- Lots of .dll seems to be "NOT LOADED". Maybe previous version 5.666 one's and I could/should delete it?

How to go back to 5.666? Could I re-install 5.666 and overwrite it?

MANY THANKS!
w7amp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2022, 16:50   #205
w7amp

Quote:
Originally Posted by w7amp View Post
I have installed "winamp59_9999_rc1_full_en-us.exe" but I did not uninstall the previous version (5.666). I choose same folder as version 5.666 (C:\Program files (x86)\Winamp) .

My O.S. is Windows 7 SP1.

It seems 2 main problems:
- I open the media library (Alt+L) correctly, but when I double-clic on "WINAMP LIBRARY" up bar nothing happens (it should retract as previous version). This happened too in another newer version than I tested some years ago (newer than 5.666).
- General purpose plugins: gen_tray.dll appears as NOT LOADED (I cannot show my play-pause, next, back, stop buttons on my Windows bar).
- Lots of .dll seems to be "NOT LOADED". Maybe previous version 5.666 one's and I could/should delete it?

How to go back to 5.666? Could I re-install 5.666 and overwrite it?

MANY THANKS!
Another point:
- Cannot add certain podcasts URLs: for example, http://feeds.soundcloud.com/users/so...250/sounds.rss (and other hosted by other podcast sites like Podomatic).
w7amp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2022, 16:59   #206
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

@w7amp

Both those issues are referenced in the first post.

Some 1st-party gen & ml plugins are not loading on Windows 7-8.1
We are aiming to fix this for the next public release, hopefully coming soon...

In the meantime, yes, you can go back to 5.666 or 5.8.

Some podcast subscriptions not working is due to the ML (Podcasts Directory, Online Services, etc) using IE10 engine.
Some sites, including soundcloud.com no longer support Internet Explorer, so those podcast subscriptions won't work.

Did podcast subscriptions from soundcloud work in 5.666?

We aim to replace the IE engine with Chromium or Mozilla for a future release, hopefully 5.9.1.
Sorry.
Old 8th August 2022, 17:43   #207
Mikey7

Yeah, I should have mentioned podcasts earlier. Since the subject came up above, I can add podcasts from "The Conversation" website for example, by using their RSS Feed link *easily in that alternative version of Winamp* but not in 5.9 RC1. I can only add podcasts from the Podcast Directory which is pretty limiting. Once you change the engine, that should work.

Last edited by Mikey7; 8th August 2022 at 19:01.
Old 8th August 2022, 18:31   #208
chshrkt

What I want to know before I install this new (probably buggy) version: Does it still whip the Llama's A$$?
chshrkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2022, 21:01   #209
Dwedit

I had to disable the Vorbis input plugin because some opus files use the .ogg file extension, and the Vorbis plugin doesn't play them. I configured the DirectShow plugin to play .ogg files instead.
Dwedit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2022, 22:45   #210
gelland

Quote:
Originally Posted by chshrkt View Post
Does it still whip the Llama's A$$?
Yes it does.
gelland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2022, 00:24   #211
Mikey7

Quote:
Originally Posted by chshrkt View Post
What I want to know before I install this new (probably buggy) version: Does it still whip the Llama's A$$?
Read through the thread. Depending on what version of Windows you're running, it might be very buggy or not. You'll also find posts for some older plugins that still work, including standalone Album Art. But please do read through the thread before making any assumptions. The answers to a LOT of questions are there. For me, it's really whipping the Llama's A&&!

Old 9th August 2022, 01:41   #212
Jimekus

Send a message via Yahoo to Jimekus
I'm absolutely thrilled. Winamp hasn't crashed since 5.9.0 was installed. My setup has dual Winamp instances taking up the top left of my 1080p screen, surrounded by seven 480x270 cameras. The left Winamp plays AVS, and Milkdrop plays on the right while reading articles and books over distributed end-to-end harmonic mixing. Because I can't fully publicize what I do with my AI host migration, I don't bother, but I live enhanced by its entrainment. If I went straight to Shoutcast could I find a sympathetic audience to help me with my Audio Visual programming?
Jimekus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2022, 02:05   #213
Mikey7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimekus View Post
I'm absolutely thrilled. Winamp hasn't crashed since 5.9.0 was installed. My setup has dual Winamp instances taking up the top left of my 1080p screen, surrounded by seven 480x270 cameras. The left Winamp plays AVS, and Milkdrop plays on the right while reading articles and books over distributed end-to-end harmonic mixing. Because I can't fully publicize what I do with my AI host migration, I don't bother, but I live enhanced by its entrainment. If I went straight to Shoutcast could I find a sympathetic audience to help me with my Audio Visual programming?
That sounds absolutely awesome! What version of Windows are you running? Which Winamp skin do you use?

Old 9th August 2022, 02:56   #214
Jimekus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimekus View Post
Until six days ago, Winamp used to crash a lot but nothing else was good enough for my distributed playlist AI. Here's a 54KB screenshot: -

http://ingridx.dynu.net/Winamp5.9.0desktop.JPG
Old 9th August 2022, 03:17   #215
Fernando Villarroel

Quote:
Or we could just add it to the FAQs (forum, wiki, Help, etc), i.e. if Winamp doesn't load at all on Win7-8.1, please install this!
Given how small the amount of people who actually read and document themselves, I'd dare to say it would be the best option to add those 13mb to the installer in order to contain the Win 7/8 version.
Fernando Villarroel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2022, 07:18   #216
MadMonday

Oh, you are all so kind and lovely!

I wanted to thank you very very much for the nice surprise,
but especially for thinking of me and working so hard on "5.9 RC1"...

The July 26th was my 55th birthday...
MadMonday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2022, 07:50   #217
Jimekus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey7 View Post
That sounds absolutely awesome! What version of Windows are you running? Which Winamp skin do you use?
Hey Phoenix, I use Windows 10 Pro, Winamp Azenis Skin: installation requires own copy of TextAloud and Voices, with plenty of deal breaking prerequisites needed to mix distributed playlists by intensity, key, bpm, genre, all via Rapid Evolution 3 for my Ingrid AI.
Old 9th August 2022, 08:11   #218
kzuse

Send a message via ICQ to kzuse Send a message via Skype™ to kzuse
Quote:
We could make the Winamp installer check the registry to see if it's already installed, and if not, attempt to download and install it - but as we've found with DirectX and WM9, it doesn't always work (probably because of local firewall blocking it).

Or we could add that MS installer to our installer (maybe have a separate installer for Win7-8.1)?
But it would add anything up to 13mb to our installer...
My suggestion for the installer's behavior would be:

1. Detect if it is needed (e.g., scan registry whether already installed or Windows 10 or newer detected where it isn't needed)...

2. If needed, display a message about the fact that this runtime is needed and offer to automatically download and install.

3. If this fails (firewall, no internet, etc.), display the user a link (copyable) where they can download the Redistributable manually, and clear out that Winamp won't run properly on their OS until this runtime is installed.

That's the way many commercial software products are doing it and I think it's the best compromise for all edge-cases.

Until then, I think I'll wait for RC2/Final which will fix a couple of bugs and will be able to load JTFE - no matter what his creator says about it...

(Whom I, btw, still really have respect for because of his great work, but just cannot understand that silly beef he has with the Winamp team - I mean as a plugin creator I should be happy if my plugins are used by the software I wrote them for, especially when at one time this plugin had been moved to the default distribution of that software... - which in my opinion means that that last version has been "licensed" to Winamp in some way so they would have the right to continue distributing it anyway, but i'm not a lawyer.

And anybody who desperately NEEDS Win XP/7 or older OS compatibility for their Retro systems, you can still use 5.666 or even more classic 2.x versions. Noone's going to stop or judge you. Really, I am a big fan of backwards-compatibility, it being the heart, soul and DNA of the whole PC and Windows ecosystem. Also I have great respect and sympathy for the whole retro-scene. BUT, at the end, it shouldn't stop us from modernizing current infrastructures, build systems etc.)

Anyway, back to topic - and thanks for the ongoing development on Winamp!!!

Best regards,
kzuse
kzuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2022, 08:56   #219
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzuse View Post
My suggestion for the installer's behavior would be:

1. Detect if it is needed (e.g., scan registry whether already installed or Windows 10 or newer detected where it isn't needed)...

2. If needed, display a message about the fact that this runtime is needed and offer to automatically download and install.

3. If this fails (firewall, no internet, etc.), display the user a link (copyable) where they can download the Redistributable manually, and clear out that Winamp won't run properly on their OS until this runtime is installed.

That's the way many commercial software products are doing it and I think it's the best compromise for all edge-cases.

Yes, that's how we do it for DirectX (d3dx9_31.dll and d3dx9_42.dl) and Windows Media 9.
Though the link for those isn't currently copyable.

We'll look at adding it...
Old 9th August 2022, 13:51   #220
kzuse

Send a message via ICQ to kzuse Send a message via Skype™ to kzuse
Copyable, or maybe even clickable (opening it in the user's Default browser)... though that may be useless if the reason for the failed download is that the machine isn't currently connected to the Internet, so the browser won't display the download page as well...).

But on the other hand, it's unlikely that the user then will copy the copyable link, save it to a text file, take it to a PC connected to the Web, download the Redists, take them back, install them.... But at least, they'd have the opportunity to so then.

I'm sure you will find a good solution for a UX that works.
kzuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2022, 14:30   #221
Flomyen

The DSP download link is down. Any alternative?
Flomyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2022, 15:33   #222
BoFiS

C++ Runtime Error on startup, but then it seems to open and function fine...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/c8uja60esc...error.png?dl=0
BoFiS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2022, 16:00   #223
Mikey7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzuse View Post
And anybody who desperately NEEDS Win XP/7 or older OS compatibility for their Retro systems, you can still use 5.666 or even more classic 2.x versions. Noone's going to stop or judge you. Really, I am a big fan of backwards-compatibility, it being the heart, soul and DNA of the whole PC and Windows ecosystem. Also I have great respect and sympathy for the whole retro-scene. BUT, at the end, it shouldn't stop us from modernizing current infrastructures, build systems etc.)
Man, I couldn't agree more. That Discord mentioned above is full of these Retro-users and Retro-gamers with their ancient equipment and displays that they refuse to upgrade. Hey, I was into RetroOS/Games with the Amiga via UAE for years but I never fooled myself into thinking the Amiga was still relevant (it was the coolest computer I ever owned back in 1989-1994). 5.9 should never be sacrificed just to make the Win 7/8.1 users happy.

Give them a set of instructions to get 5.9 running either in the Installer or here on the Forum with a big Sticky but above all, move on toward the Final Release.

Old 10th August 2022, 04:06   #224
Mikey7

Sorry, I should have added to the above...but they always complained when things wouldn't run on their OS or their equipment. At least 5.9 will run on Win 7/8.1 it if they don't panic and follow some instructions.

Old 10th August 2022, 11:53   #225
ECraig

I see some people here deciding to switch back to 5.666 just for the sake of skin and playslist juggling, installer nuances and the like.
It means they do not care much about the sound quality, which is significantly improved in 5.9 RC1 over 5.666.
I gave some suggestions for the sound improvement, but without any reaction, including the developer.
After all, Winamp is a player, and supposed to sound as good as possible. Or I'm wrong?
ECraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2022, 12:05   #226
NJK
FRISIAN (MOD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECraig View Post
After all, Winamp is a player, and supposed to sound as good as possible. Or I'm wrong?
hitting the nail right on the head.

It all stands or falls with your soundcard and the speakers you are using on your PC.
NJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2022, 16:21   #227
Mikey7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJK View Post
hitting the nail right on the head.

It all stands or falls with your soundcard and the speakers you are using on your PC.
That's all there is. I might add whatever job the sound processing software bundled with the soundcard or provided by the OS for the soundcard does for you.

Winamp's decoders(s) have been upgraded. I suppose you could throw in how well a job the encoder used to convert the original CD (or vinyl or tape) to the digital format of your choice - FLAC (or ALAC - there's a 3rd party decoder on this forum), mp3, aac, etc., etc. does for you as well.

Old 10th August 2022, 23:12   #228
RobustControl

Issue with modern skin /equalizer presets

every time I launch winamp, it shows me the following message:

"You are attempting to use a modern skin ("winamp modern") but have not installed the modern skin support plug-in required to load these skins.

you will need to re-run Winamp installer and ensure you select modern skin support to be able to use this skin"

I already install winamp three times, I check the checkbox related to modern skin support but this issue is still there, after that winamp crashes.

Another issue is, why the equalizer presets is in chinese?

thanks in advance.
RobustControl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2022, 23:41   #229
Docqualizer

Newest Winamp

Looking good!

Just a couple of questions:

1. How do I suppress the displaying of album covers?
2. How do I display JUST the playlist?
3. Are there skins available or is it better just to stick with "the basics" for now?

It has been a while since I have used this, but it is good to see you guys back.

Looking forward to the next iteration.

Lou

What's so funny about peace, love, and understanding? (Elvis Costello)
Docqualizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2022, 09:47   #230
gulbis37

it happen this morning . I realise winamp stopped. restarted,push file from library-file does not start playback - Shoutcast DSP stopping and Windows asked to close programm. nothing changed even after laptop restarted.
gulbis37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2022, 14:36   #231
gulbis37

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulbis37 View Post
it happen this morning . I realise winamp stopped. restarted,push file from library-file does not start playback - Shoutcast DSP stopping and Windows asked to close programm. nothing changed even after laptop restarted.
Sorted out after full reinstall of player.
gulbis37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2022, 00:33   #232
dragornard

Good evening,
first of all I would like to say that I don't know English very well.
I have tried to read all the previous pages but I am not sure to understand everything.
Thank you for resurrecting WINAMP, I feel like I'm 25 years younger!
I have of course some questions:
- I can't figure out how to activate wasapi reading.
- I'm not sure I understand the spectrum analyzer display, it doesn't correspond to anything either in level or in frequency.

Thanks again for your work!!!
dragornard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2022, 11:09   #233
DOOOOOM

Smart Views

Hello!
Is there any way to import saved smart views from winamp 5.666 to winamp 5.9?C:\Users\user\Desktop\Smart Views.JPG
DOOOOOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2022, 11:12   #234
NJK
FRISIAN (MOD)

We can't see your link , you can't link to your own computer.
post it as an attachment or upload it to your webspace and link to that.
NJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2022, 11:24   #235
DOOOOOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJK View Post
We can't see your link , you can't link to your own computer.
post it as an attachment or upload it to your webspace and link to that.
Here it is.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Smart Views.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	157.0 KB
ID:	54988  
DOOOOOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2022, 03:28   #236
Omega X
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to Omega X Send a message via Yahoo to Omega X
Holy crap! An actual release!
Omega X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2022, 16:47   #237
septimus

Hi all, I am using 5.9 RC1, W11 and a 4K monitor and the Winamp menu bar freezes after 1 use, I have to close it from Task Manager to make it unfreeze but again only works once.

Also when trying to upscale to make it look better nothing happens no matter what skin I try.

I have uninstalled/reinstalled it many times. I might be thick but i cannot see this problem mentioned anywhere and it might be just my system.
septimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2022, 17:48   #238
Fernando Villarroel

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
Also when trying to upscale to make it look better nothing happens no matter what skin I try.
Have you tried to set the scaling settings from within Winamps options itself?, there are some scaling options specific for a given type of skins: modern, classic, etc.
Old 14th August 2022, 19:50   #239
septimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernando Villarroel View Post
Have you tried to set the scaling settings from within Winamps options itself?, there are some scaling options specific for a given type of skins: modern, classic, etc.
Thanks for the answer, yes I have but they don't take effect when i change them, then I have to close Winamp because the menu bar freezes
septimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2022, 00:16   #240
Fernando Villarroel

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
Thanks for the answer, yes I have but they don't take effect when i change them, then I have to close Winamp because the menu bar freezes
Ouch, sorry to hear, and hope for them to solve that issue soon.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion