Old 23rd November 2005, 22:00   #1
chris_at

"part of compilation" support

Hi Will,

i know you don't really have time to implement new features and i'm not sure if this wasn't questioned before (sorry if so).

you know the options "part of a compilation" (can be set with mp3tag ITUNESCOMPILATION=1, winamp doesnt support it so far) and "group compilations".

is it possible to add the "group compilations" feature or do you just query the tags available in the media library (don't know if you have access to such additional id3v2 frames). if you can query the "part of a compilation" frame it would be quite easy to include this feature i think - at least the querys shouldnt be a problem don't know how much work the coding is

/chris
chris_at is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2005, 13:12   #2
tamlyn

I would love to see this feature in ml_ipod too. It's something I really need - so much so that I am even considering installing itunes (eeek!).
tamlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2005, 14:40   #3
chris_at

seems the same for me - back to itunes
chris_at is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2005, 15:40   #4
jasus

Question

This feature should be included in possible new versions! It's one of the few lacks in Winamp overall compared with iTunes.
jasus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2006, 09:00   #5
cortana

I'll put my vote in for this feature - if the ID3 tag can be read, it seems like one of the more minor bits to set in the iPod database during sync.
cortana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2006, 20:51   #6
abu
mlipod moderator
(Senior Member)

Hey, can somebody explain what this is for at all? Maybe I could implement it, but I have to understand the issue firts. What do you use this for, and what does it change on the iPod? (I have a Nano only, so please explain if it is a feature only available on the bigger iPods)

BTW: Will is no longer working on ml_ipod, see the announcements on http://www.mlipod.com/ of 2/23/2006 and 4/25/2006
And look at http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....hreadid=236241

WinAmp Pro 5.5 with ml_iPod 3.10 + dev.patches (download it)
ml_iPod documentation Wiki - ml_iPod FAQ - search ml_iPod forum - iPhone/iTouch - Found a bug?
Donations to support the ml_iPod project can be done HERE

Last edited by abu; 29th June 2006 at 21:12.
abu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2006, 20:33   #7
chauvelin01

Since no one else has answered, I'll try. If you mark a track as "part of compilation" if you have the compilation setting on for your ipod (presumably set in itunes, which is not installed on my computer), when you transfer that track to the ipod, it will not add the artist to the list when you go to music>>artists. You can reach the song either through the Music>>Album list, through Music>>Compilation list (which lists only albums marked as compilations), but not throught the artist list, unless the ipod contains an album by that particular artist (in which case the compilation album is listed along with the other albums.
Sorry for the overly long explanation, but this is the one thing that would make me want to switch back to itunes. I wonder if I can hook it up to another computer with itunes to change the settings.
chauvelin01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2006, 10:23   #8
abu
mlipod moderator
(Senior Member)

I tried that with my Nano (and iTunes). Unfortunately this feature does not work as expected: The Songs are listed under Music>>Compilations, but they are also listed under Music>>Artists (even if I have only one song from this artist). Am I missing something here?
If they were hidden from the Music>>Artists view, it would be really helpful...

ml_iPod documentation Wiki - ml_iPod FAQ - search ml_iPod forum - iPhone/iTouch - Found a bug?
Old 21st August 2006, 20:31   #9
abu
mlipod moderator
(Senior Member)

As a temporary workaround, I added the feature to tag a song as "part of compilation" by starting its comment with "[C]" (3 characters)
The comment is editable in Winamp with Ctrl-E.
Part of ml_iPod version 1.42p12

And, regarding my last post: I found the setting in the iPod that switches this feature on...

Whenever we'll be ready to read ID3 tags, then we can add further support. Not at the moment, ml_iPod is limited to what the ML gives as information.

Old 7th March 2007, 20:24   #10
abu
mlipod moderator
(Senior Member)

With patch 2.02p09, the ID3 tag for "Part of Compilation" is correctly read and processed now.

Old 14th March 2007, 13:18   #11
balchy

Hi Abu,

Great! Thanks for this - I assume the [C] in the comments field still works too?
balchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2007, 14:53   #12
abu
mlipod moderator
(Senior Member)

Yes, it does.

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp iPod Plugin Discussion