Old 14th February 2015, 12:54   #1
nynoah

Preview DJ feature

I just wanted to pass along a business idea about winamp. One of the key features for me when I am using Winamp is the ability to drag and drop songs from other players onto the Winamp playlist and play those songs out of my external sound card. Winamps code makes it into the most foolproof and simple DJ program ever. I can preview songs on Media Monkey (another player) using my headphones hooked into my laptop so I know which song I want to choose next and drag that song over to Winamp to play out on the USB card.

I have professional DJ programs with beat matching and tons of other features, its all not needed for me and totally too complicated. I can set and preview a 10 song playlist and walk away, reset and add another 10 song playlist seamlessly and do it again and again. Winamp plays them out flawlessly through my external soundcard. I never drop the wrong song or have to go by memory as to which might be best to follow another song. I can preview listen before I play for the crowd.

I am not alone in doing this. I know of a lot of people who use Winamp just like this. In fact this is the preferred method of DJing for our social dance nights. (swing dancing, blues, tango etc) and is for most all of us nationwide.

If you built a player off winamps code or even enabled a feature that allowed me to preview songs on my headphones and then drag and drop them to another playlist section tasked to playout on my USB sound card, I would gladly pay for that. Just make sure the EQ is working for the USB out. That is very necessary.

If you have any questions or need any help in developing this. I can do my best to help.

Thanks
Noah
nynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2015, 13:43   #2
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi nynoah,

Have you tried running 2 instances of Winamp? 1 outputting to your headphone and the other to your usb soundcard. The instances can be setup to use the same user data or be completely independent from each other.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1809 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2015, 13:45   #3
nynoah

I have not. Is there a method for running two instances? Because if I double click to open it just pops the currently open tab up.
Old 14th February 2015, 14:23   #4
Aminifu
Forum King

On the 1st page of the General Preferences there is an option to allow multiple instances (and hold down the Shift key when clicking the icon to start another instance). There are posts (I don't remember exactly where, but you can search for them) that explain how to setup to use the same or independent user data files.

I could be miss-remembering stuff. It could be that multiple instances would use the same user data and multiple installations would be needed to use independent data. I'll try to find the relevant posts.

Edited:
I changed the post to add additional comments.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Old 14th February 2015, 17:01   #5
nynoah

Well what you are basically saying is it is very possible to do this with the current coding. Which also means if an effective skin or setup can be made easily. My suggestion is to have a button added to a future release of Winamp which will launch this form of interface for end users. Call it DJ mode and have a link to a wiki explaining how to set up the external card. Bam you have a DJ player which is simple to use and countless people will love it. I am sure there has got to be some way to make money from this.
Old 14th February 2015, 17:57   #6
Aminifu
Forum King

There are already old plug-ins that did this. I don't know if they still work with the current release. Winamp is very versatile and it had been left up to the user or 3rd party developers to adapt it for things it isn't natively designed to do.

There are also users on this forum that currently use Winamp to DJ (at live events or via the internet). You could seek them out and ask for tips.

At the moment, Radionomy is focused on getting SHOUTCast to provide revenue and it is expected that Winamp will be re-released as a 'free' app including the features that were previously in the Pro version that was sold. Using Winamp to also make money is not in their immediate plans, afaict.

Old 14th February 2015, 22:23   #7
djpete
Major Dude

I've been djing with Winamp for over 10 yrs without issue re playlists or seeing what is coming up etc. BUT I don't preview songs beforehand. I think you can do it with 2 sound cards and 2 instances of Winamp as Aminifu suggests but for me it's not necessary as I know my music pretty well, and just another potential crash waiting to happen. I like to keep things a simple as possible. I do use some excellent plugins though that may help you in other areas of using Winamp to DJ. PM me if interested please.

Cheers, Pete

Anything & Everything Winamp - All In One Place...
Winamp Enthusiasts Group
djpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2015, 08:28   #8
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpete View Post
I think you can do it with 2 sound cards ...
Yeah, I forgot to mention that at least 2 output devices are needed. I have used the soundchip on my mobo connected to my cans and my soundcard connected to my speakers. The sound quality of the soundchip is not that great, but it's good enough for previewing.

Old 16th February 2015, 18:00   #9
nynoah

I use a Turtle beach USB sound card. They are pretty decent. I def need to preview. I have 500 gigs of music and I play whats next based on the feeling. So listening to it triggers the feeling of what should come next.
Old 16th February 2015, 20:46   #10
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
if it were me, I'd prob do something like this:

have one typical physical install of winamp be my "main" that uses the hopefully stable mobo audio of the machine to output the dance stuff.

have a second physical install of winamp, (in a different from default HD location), be my "DJ only" instance that uses a ext USB soundcard or something similar, to power headphones for previewing. I would also prob enable the trick for this install that keeps all the winamp files in the winamp dirs, and out of the windows profile area. this second install must use a second piece of physical audio hardware unrelated to the first.

I would do it like this b/c i don't trust running multiple instances from one install.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2015, 14:41   #11
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
I would also prob enable the trick for this install that keeps all the winamp files in the winamp dirs, and out of the windows profile area.
Read DJ Egg's post (#3) in the thread linked below for the 'trick' MrSinatra is referring to. Note the warnings at the end of the post. This type of installation will not be able to use some of Winamp's features provided by licensed code from other companies, but it should allow playback of audio files encoded in the major formats (i.e. mp3, flac, wav, aac, etc.).

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=357461

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Wishlist