Old 2nd February 2015, 14:12   #1
DrumAmper
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 2
Better handling of network latency

I store all my music on a home server and load a playlist of everything into Winamp to play over the LAN (wired and wireless).

I often find that it hangs or locks up (especially on wireless), often to the point of triggering Windows to suggest killing the program. When the playlist is open, Winamp is basically unusable while loading and parsing meta data.

I'd like to see Winamp's user interface run asynchronously with its internal processes and have either a progress indicator or, at least, an activity indicator. It just needs to not hang up whenever there's latency on a file op taking more time than it expects.
DrumAmper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2015, 16:55   #2
mikejamer
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Posts: 4
Send a message via ICQ to mikejamer
Sounds like two different things you're asking for. But in terms of latency, the problem (I think) is because you're reading the file over a network, and having winamp play the file as if it were local.

Services like shoutcast are specifically designed to stream media. The difference is like, if there were not enough bandwidth to send the song properly, you would get garble sounds. This is when not every single bit of data is necessarily required. (optimized for over the internet broadcasting)

When you do expect to see every bit of data, you end up with buffering situations. And I think that's what you're dealing with. Kind of like when you view a youtube video with the quality too high. It buffers for a few seconds, starts playing, you get 2 seconds in and it starts buffering again.

I wonder if you could solve your problem by setting up a shoutcast server just for your lan? It would then be optimized to stream to whatever computers on your network you want to listen to it from.
mikejamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2015, 20:57   #3
DrumAmper
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 2
Quote:
But in terms of latency, the problem (I think) is because you're reading the file over a network, and having winamp play the file as if it were local.
That's exactly the problem and exactly what I believe Winamp is doing incorrectly. Rendering core user interface elements and dealing with background processes should be asynchronous and independent whenever possible, especially for data ops (whether that data is located on a remote server, a local server or even the local disk), which can be fickle, unpredictable and subject to uncontrollable factors.

Quote:
When you do expect to see every bit of data, you end up with buffering situations. And I think that's what you're dealing with. Kind of like when you view a youtube video with the quality too high. It buffers for a few seconds, starts playing, you get 2 seconds in and it starts buffering again.
Yes, exactly. Thank-you, I think you've found a more succinct way to express what I'm trying to say: Winamp should indicate buffering for everything and not just remote network streams.

Quote:
I wonder if you could solve your problem by setting up a shoutcast server just for your lan? It would then be optimized to stream to whatever computers on your network you want to listen to it from.
That would probably work, but it's hacky workaround.
DrumAmper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2015, 17:41   #4
MrSinatra
Forum King
 
MrSinatra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: WKPS, State College
Posts: 5,559
Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
are these lossless files?

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2015, 17:59   #5
Aminifu
Forum King
 
Aminifu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 4,643
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumAmper View Post
That's exactly the problem and exactly what I believe Winamp is doing incorrectly.
It may not be entirely Winamps fault. I have Windows Advanced Performance Otions setup to "Adjust for best performance of:" Background services instead of Programs.

I also have the Winamp mp3 input plug-in (in_mp3.dll) setup to read the entire file into RAM before further processing is started. Most of my files are mp3s.

This works for me, but I also don't use wireless connections.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1809 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2015, 17:12   #6
Benski
Ben Allison
Former Winamp Developer
 
Benski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 1,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumAmper View Post
I often find that it hangs or locks up (especially on wireless), often to the point of triggering Windows to suggest killing the program. When the playlist is open, Winamp is basically unusable while loading and parsing meta data.
For which filetype? Each type was coded separately, and maybe of the input plugins don't have very sophisticated network playback.
Benski is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Wishlist

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump