Old 16th January 2007, 18:14   #1
mk01

"Inject" iPod (vs Eject) [FR?]

I think this should go to Feature Request site of ml_ipod project, but since I don't know whether it's even possible, I'll ask here.

Is it possible to re-establish connection with iPod after ejecting it (I mean _without_ pulling the plug and plugging it in again physically), which would basically be opposite to "Eject"?

It would be useful not having to unplug iPod every time just to make a minor modification and check the results (actually not having to plug it in again).
mk01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2007, 18:21   #2
Stupifier
Major Dude

yea....I guess a button would have its benefits if it weren't too much trouble to implement
Stupifier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2007, 19:02   #3
abu
mlipod moderator
(Senior Member)

Sorry, that's not possible. Ejecting is a Windows OS API call. Then you can't see it in Windows Explorer any more. There is no opposite API call...

WinAmp Pro 5.5 with ml_iPod 3.10 + dev.patches (download it)
ml_iPod documentation Wiki - ml_iPod FAQ - search ml_iPod forum - iPhone/iTouch - Found a bug?
Donations to support the ml_iPod project can be done HERE
abu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2007, 22:15   #4
mk01

I managed to "safely remove" iPod device and make it visible again using devcon tool http://support.microsoft.com/kb/311272

It doesn't work with "Eject" only... I had to "safely remove" it first.
Quote:
Originally posted by abu
Sorry, that's not possible. Ejecting is a Windows OS API call. Then you can't see it in Windows Explorer any more.
After ejecting Windows Explorer still _can_ see it as a "removable drive", not accessible though. But ml_ipod, as well as Windows Explorer recognized it after "safely removing" and typing
devcon restart *usb*

I don't know if it's of any use to anybody, but it sure saves a lot of (un)plugging :].
Old 17th January 2007, 14:21   #5
abu
mlipod moderator
(Senior Member)

Interesting tool. But if I do that, my screen starts to flicker for some seconds. Doesn't look to good...

WinAmp Pro 5.5 with ml_iPod 3.10 + dev.patches (download it)
ml_iPod documentation Wiki - ml_iPod FAQ - search ml_iPod forum - iPhone/iTouch - Found a bug?
Donations to support the ml_iPod project can be done HERE
abu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2007, 15:16   #6
mk01

Well, the tool itself has some limitations (from what I noticed, some administrative privileges is a must, no Win9x support and the list probably goes on...).

The command I posted may work fine with only one device attached (like my iPod). Doing so ('*usb*' naturally means ALL usb devices) with mouse/keyboard/... on usb could obviously lead to trouble.

The source code is, however, available (at least there is a link), as well as a crapload of options to use devcon with (including restarting a correct device), so maybe even a simple shell call would suffice as an "inject" button.

I'll try to dig a little deeper into this, but from what you say it won't be universal or elegant solution anyway.
Old 30th January 2007, 06:51   #7
BCan

iTunes is able to reinitialise the connection after the iPod has been ejected. Not sure how they do it, so it can be done.
Maybe something related to the iTunesHelper service?
BCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp iPod Plugin Discussion