Old 20th November 2009, 14:48   #1
Catchit

"Please use iTunes to sync iPod" message.

My sisters iPod Shuffle (3rd generation) cannot be synced by Winamp. I've sucessfully dragged and dropped songs onto the device, but when I go to play them, a audiable message states: "Please use iTunes to sync your iPod".

When I connect the device to iTunes, I can see the songs and then it plays. Go back to Winamp to update songs andthe message returns.

Winamp seems to be missing a step when updating the iPod (perhaps the iTunesDB file). I've tried both the default Winamp ipod option and ml_ipod add-on. Are there any known bugs, or am I doing something wrong?
Catchit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2009, 01:08   #2
Entegy

Both the built-in iPod support and this forum (ml_ipod) do not support the iPhone/iPod touch 3.X, nano 5G and Shuffle 3G due to changes Apple made to the devices.
Entegy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2009, 11:08   #3
DrO

it's a mix of lack of resources to develop the fix and also legal constraints i believe which would make it difficult for the offical pmp support to work with the newer ipods. this is where the 3rd party plugin gets it easier but as there's not the developer resources available to work on the issue (as other apps are holding details to themselves it seems making that even harder) then Winamp is going to fall further behind via either plugin.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2009, 18:14   #4
Stupifier
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by DrO
it's a mix of lack of resources to develop the fix and also legal constraints i believe which would make it difficult for the offical pmp support to work with the newer ipods. this is where the 3rd party plugin gets it easier but as there's not the developer resources available to work on the issue (as other apps are holding details to themselves it seems making that even harder) then Winamp is going to fall further behind via either plugin.

-daz
Legal constraints are actually preventing development for pmp support? Strange. Do the new iPods have completely new legal jargon attached to them? What legally separates these new iPod's from previous iPod protection formats cracked by pmp? I know the new iPod's changed a few technical things up to impede 3rd party use. That is technical computer junk though.....what changed legally?

What I am getting at is....why would legal constraints stop pmp from cracking the protection on the latest ipods when these types of constraints have not stopped pmp previously?

In short, if legal constraints are stopping pmp from cracking the protection scheme, they might as well just remove the entire iPod support for previous iPods as well since those have cracked iPod schemes in them as well right?

Edit: Or am I missing the point entirely and the legal issue is not between Winamp (pmp) and Apple....but more between Winamp (pmp) and Other 3rd party programs who have already cracked the protection?
Stupifier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2009, 11:24   #5
DrO

i'm not sure about the full specifics but i know the legality of it has hindered how and what can be done based against currently known ways of accessing the newer devices.

from what i've seen of other people's implementations which make use of Apple dlls, that would most likely cause the greatest issue with having that included as part of the player (especially in the case of the paid 'pro' versions).

yes you've a fair point that if things can't be completely supported then it shouldn't be there but then again that's no more different than people offering an alternative which is crippled in the same way.

the real issue is that the people with the means [coders] to make say ml_ipod or another alternative work with the newer versions don't want to or cannot work on implementing a means for people to make use of the newer devices despite there being a large number of people [non-coders] who want to use an alternative to the Apple platform. it's more of a reflection of Winamp's changing userbase from i guess more coder oriented to the casual user which leaves people moaning that it doesn't do x,y & z when there's not the means even from the community of users to do something about it either (as despite Winamp's claimed user base growth, the community it evolved upto a few years ago has been drastically ruined or better alternatives are now available).

-daz
Old 26th November 2009, 12:49   #6
Catchit

I will not be forced into using iTunes. The hardware was purchased and it is none of Apples business how I use it. I'll be returning the product if there isn't a viable solution for updating song lists.

Can anyone suggest an alternative to iTunes that is small in size and has the ability to add/remove songs?
Old 26th November 2009, 17:39   #7
DrO

would have to say foobar2000 + this based on what i've read on their forums though depends on what you're looking for as the UI can be a bit daunting at times.

-daz
Old 28th November 2009, 23:09   #8
Juanus
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to Juanus
Sorry to join this late, but I use Media Monkey. I think it does a great job. Its free and easy to use.
Juanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2009, 15:58   #9
Catchit

Ok, so I checked Media Monkey and it supports generation 3 iPods. Don't understand why it wouldn't be a "legal issue" for them. Feel free to explain why.
Old 30th November 2009, 20:37   #10
DrO

because they're a different company and don't have the fine AOL (or is it Aol now??) legal team. i can only go on snippets of info i've gathered and legality has always been an issue for any large company reverse engineering iPod support into their apps especially with certain redistributables required like the foobar method uses (no idea about the other players).

now ignoring the legality issue, the real thing causing Winamp+iPod support issues is that there's no one wanting to code support or have the time avaialble to code support and it doesn't look like that is going to change too soon though i'd love to be proven wrong for those who want to have a Winamp+iPod setup.

-daz
Old 30th November 2009, 21:19   #11
Juanus
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to Juanus
Personally, I would love to have Ipod support built in. But I do not know how to code. However, I can say that Apple makes things very difficult at a whim.

I own a Palm Pre mobile phone. Great phone, but they started a war with apple to make the phone sync via Itunes and with each incremental update Apple would break the sync and then Palm would reenable the sync. Anyway, my point is, Apple really doesnt want you to use any products but their own, and they will go to greath lengths to make sure that is the case.
Juanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2010, 03:09   #12
cellar

Trying not to cross post

See this post http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=273638

So I guess the answer is not yet? I'm pretty sure her iPod is a 3rd gen.
cellar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2010, 08:14   #13
DrO

cellar: you're mixing up the different ipod management plug-ins for Winamp by posting in this forum (for the non-nullsoft version) and the PMP version shipped with Winamp (which that thread you've posted relates to).

from what i'm aware from reading things (like the stick thread in this sub-forum) essentially any of the newer ipod devices from the last 2 years i believe have issues (under both plug-in implementations) and it looks unlikely that things will be resolved anytime soon on either of them.

this is predominantly due to a lack of native & 3rd party developers and that Apple keep changing things which makes it harder when there's no one to do the coding required - not helped that most of the recent Winamp userbase seems to be ex-iTunes users and a massive lack of technical people who have the means/skills to do coding especially aimed at ipod devices.

-daz
Old 23rd February 2010, 14:40   #14
cellar

Thumbs up Thanks for your answer

Thanks for confirming what hours of research finally told me. I am aware of the 2 plugins. Currently I only have the stock Winamp plug. In the course of my research, I became aware of an older plugin (the one refered to in this thread) and was briefly hopefull that it would solve my problem. On reading this thread I found it unlikly that anything would help. I just wanted to be sure. I'll try this plugin anyway and let you know if it works. If worse comes to worse, I'd rather install MediaMonkey than iTunes. It was one of the only apps that almost took over for Winamp on my computer.

Again thank you for your response!!
cellar is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp iPod Plugin Discussion