Old 10th July 2014, 09:42   #1
ivoermejo

Linux version

I would like to have a Linux version of Winamp.
I'm using ubuntu + gnome 64 bit 14.04 Lts and, and I'd be really honored if I could test a beta version.
if you send me the binaries files, I can try to compile the program and run a few tests.
ivoermejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2014, 11:08   #2
DrO

even if there was a Linux version of Winamp (which there isn't and pretty much is unlikely to happen) we wouldn't be giving out source code so you can compile it yourself.
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2014, 23:46   #3
red1d1

Just fueling a little bit here.

Linux is quickly gaining popularity. You really should consider porting to the linux environment and releasing binaries for some of the major distros. If porting isn't an option, you should considering emulating the .NET environment with Mono.
red1d1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2014, 05:05   #4
ChiggyChiggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by red1d1 View Post
If porting isn't an option, you should considering emulating the .NET environment with Mono.

Winamp is a .NET app o.O?

*If you have issues with Winamp, ensure you have the currently latest version Winamp v5.666 build 3516 & its patches that fix several issues
*To remove the currently dead Winamp online stuff, see here: removing online stuff
*If you miss the Autotag feature: Gracenote CDDB Autotag alternatives
ChiggyChiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2014, 10:01   #5
DrO

it isn't written in C# or anything from the .NET family. so such a request makes for a double port which is insane imho. as for the ever growing popularity of Linux, I've seen that mentioned as a reason for most of these sorts of requests for well over 11 years.
Old 15th September 2014, 01:47   #6
red1d1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
as for the ever growing popularity of Linux, I've seen that mentioned as a reason for most of these sorts of requests for well over 11 years.
Great attitude!
red1d1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2014, 02:02   #7
DrO

i'm being realistic of both time, resources and the financial implications which have always made a linux version non-viable. yes there was the Winamp3 Linux version which was a super rough alpha and as soon as the person who used linux left, it never progressed any further (though that was also not helped by Winamp3 being killed off).

as no one has ever been able to explain what it is that they're wanting from an 'official' version as it would not be the same as what is on Windows in a number of critical ways, just as was proven by the Android and Mac Sync clients which were radically different to how the desktop client works.

sure most of the current desktop skins could be able to be used on a linux version, but then that's already been done by XMMS, BMP and all of the other players which were derived from that and had / have Winamp skin support.

and just having it from us official would mean a buggy player for a long while (as was proven with the Android client which was started from a fresh code base), and that's before even starting on getting the code base (whatever it is derived from or if started from fresh) into a position to have a working player. which as i put in another thread is more likely in the 2 year position (and probably longer) to get to a point of something working.

and really, Windows, Android and iOS are far wider reaching platforms to be aiming things at. so if you think my attitude stinks then so be it, but it's not going to help get anything done towards a linux build - there's enough to do to get a newer Windows version released, let alone even looking at something for another desktop platform like linux. and it's not like there aren't linux players that cannot already load Winamp skins (which is the main part of being like Winamp anyway).
Old 26th September 2014, 16:14   #8
dexter22

why not try to do it.

I think some programmers can join if somebody start the Linux project, I don't know what language you use to program this I just start learning how to write code.

I would like to have Winamp Linux version because the others player including amarok sucks.

We can have the best on Linux then I don't see why not we can try one more time.
dexter22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2014, 16:19   #9
DrO

then why not have people fix up those players than trying to start over on another one that will suck even more for a lot longer whilst it's built? or just take one of the many Winamp clones that exist and work from that.

as no one can ever give a compelling reason why there has to be an 'official' Winamp client other than it being 'official' which means it's never going to help to change the official view point.

so yes, i look like an arse once again for slamming this down, but a 'linux' version other than being able to use the same skins and trying to emulate the same native functionality would never be comparable to what the Windows client is like - and if that's what is naively assumed that you'd get, then that's one more reason why a linux version is just not viable as perceptions vs implementation would never match.
Old 26th September 2014, 17:09   #10
ChiggyChiggy

On OS X theres a tool (this one http://winebottler.kronenberg.org/ ) that can create WINE wrapped Mac apps (as in creating the equivalent of a .exe that you just click to run) out of Windows applications, basically an app that can be used like any other on OS X.
On Linux i suppose this could do the same https://www.playonlinux.com/en/download.html

Perhaps eventually to satisfy all the Linux users an officially released WINE wrapped version of Winamp? Since a Linux port would just be another average media player that cant use any of the plugins etc... that are meant for Windows, but since a WINE wrapped version would be basically the Windows version, then it could have all the Windows features and satisfy them all. Heck that sounds even better than the current OS X version.

Some developers dont make Linux versions of their apps but make the Windows version of it so that it can run well in WINE (such as ImgBurn for example)

The official Mac version of Google's Picasa was basically just a WINE wrapped version of the Windows one, some game developers have done the same too. From what ive read over time it runs rather well already on non Windows stuff already, plus theres this https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManag...lication&iId=5

The only thing i dont imagine working would be using DirectShow to decode stuff (not bundling it on a WINE wrapped version perhaps?).

Who knows maybe a WINE version could even possibly run AVS in fullscreen, unlike Win7/ Vista >_>

*If you have issues with Winamp, ensure you have the currently latest version Winamp v5.666 build 3516 & its patches that fix several issues
*To remove the currently dead Winamp online stuff, see here: removing online stuff
*If you miss the Autotag feature: Gracenote CDDB Autotag alternatives
ChiggyChiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2014, 20:24   #11
DrO

the main issue i see with that is Winamp + WINE doesn't work all that well from what i've tried (even with newer versions of WINE from a few months back). mainly window placement / moving and display issues with the library (e.g. the library window won't show in a classic skin but ironically does with some modern skins like Bento).

yes maybe something could be done on Winamp's side to improve things but that somewhat defeats the point of running under WNIE in that it's meant to be provide everything that is needed so we don't have to try to work around WINE bugs / missing features.
Old 8th October 2014, 02:12   #12
DrO

i've found the cause of the library tree not showing in all cases when running under Wine....

it's due to the skinned scrollbars we use and as soon as you don't have them enabled or you size the library tree height-wise so a scrollbar is not needed then it'll display it all correctly. why it's generally ok for the listview controls which show the skinned scrollbar and not the navigation tree i just don't know.

so for the time being, i'm probably going to disable skinned scrollbars when Winamp detects it is running under Wine. that's better than it completely messing up (and is about as much i'm willing to do at the moment towards improving Winamp under Wine).

however... drawing on resizing of the windows is still a mess, the handling when moving multi-window skins is poor and is too easy to loose the windows offscreen when they just random disappear and anything to do with online services (that seems to cause it to crash like nobodys business but could be because i've not applied all of the winetricks or something like that). there's other drawing quirks as well but is too late for me to be bothered to note them down now.
Old 9th February 2015, 17:09   #13
mikejamer

Send a message via ICQ to mikejamer
I don't know how the project matured over the years, last time I built and used it was in like 2000.... on an older slackware distribution. But there was a project called xmms, which looked and felt oddly similar to winamp 2.. I think it even supported winamp 2 skins. lol

There was a newer one called xmms2, which appeared to be a completely different project all together. (yes an audio player, but nothing at all like winamp that I could see)

I think the xmms player was a front end to the x11amp library, for which I've since seen many players. Might be worth a checking out.. at least from a nostalgic point of view. =)
mikejamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Wishlist