Old 9th June 2006, 11:15   #1
ryan
not fucked, not quite.
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to ryan
Guitar Problem

I bought a new guitar last week (A Dean Performer E Electric\Acoustic). I played it in the store and it sounded fine but when I got it home I noticed that on some notes (like playing the A string at the 12th fret, and other strings at other fres) there is a strange vibrating\buzzing sound coming from behind the bridge on the soundboard. If I put my hand over the spot it lessens the buzzing but it's still noticable. I thought it just might be the strings causing it, so I bought a new set today (Dean Markley Blue Steel medium gauge) but the problem is still there.

I can't find anyone else having this problem on the internet, so I'm afraid something might be wrong with my guitar. I was wondering if anyone here knows what may be wrong. I don't want to take it back just yet if there is something I can do to fix it.
ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2006, 11:43   #2
Schmeet
Major Dude

I've got the same problem with this aswell actually, 'cept it's my High E string which vibrates against the frets when playing on the 12th. I'm pretty sure it's something to do with the bridge not raising the string, so it could be on yours aswell.
Schmeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2006, 11:47   #3
ryan
not fucked, not quite.
(Forum King)

The vibrations feel like they're coming from inside the guitar, and I noticed it's not so bad when playing with a pick, but I prefer not to use one, since a great deal of songs I like to play are finger picked.
Old 9th June 2006, 11:51   #4
ujay
Forum King

Maybe a lose rib or pickup fitting.

If it's brand new take it back and don't mess with it yourself.

UJ
ujay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2006, 12:02   #5
. - .... .- -. ....
Backpacking

Send a message via ICQ to . - .... .- -. .... Send a message via Yahoo to . - .... .- -. ....
My first guess would have been the strings, specifically that one of the tie-offs were hitting the inside of the guitar at the other side of the pins, but seeing as you've changed the strings, it's unlikely.

The most I would do would be to look at the underside with a small mirror, out of curiosity more than anythign else. But definitely return the guitar - at a week old it's not worth taking the risk.

Like my photography? Buy some here....
. - .... .- -. .... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2006, 22:51   #6
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to swingdjted Send a message via Yahoo to swingdjted
Quote:
Originally posted by ujay
Maybe a lose rib or pickup fitting.

If it's brand new take it back and don't mess with it yourself.

UJ
@ Ryan - my guess is that the problem is what ujay said. If you just bought it, you'd best leave it to the store to handle. A lot of acoustic-electrics have a wire that is up against the wood, and the wire can annoyingly vibrate against the wood when the right note is played. Same can be true with a loose rib or pickup fitting as ujay said. It's common for this sort of problem to only happen on a certain pitch (or certain small range of pitches). The store people should be willling to help you; if not, break the guitar over the store person's head and steal a better one.

Don't forget to live before you die.
swingdjted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2006, 14:05   #7
ryan
not fucked, not quite.
(Forum King)

Thanks for the help, I'll have to take it back next week when I'm off.
Old 10th June 2006, 15:33   #8
JFASI
Major Dude

This could also be due to low action on the guitar. How high are the strings frmo the fretboard? If its a brand new guitar, it tends not to have some of the more degenerate problems which are mentioned above. Go into the store and see if they can turn the truss rod up a bit. This tends to happen a lot on used guitars and basses, that the truss rod get loose, but sometimes it factory adjusted that way, too.

I play both classical and acoustic guitar, and the action is ridiculously high on my nylon string, and I never get any sort of sound. Ever. Try taking it to the store.

Certified Spam Connoisseur.
JFASI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2006, 16:28   #9
taylormemer
made his slipknot mask in woodwork class
(Forum King)

Send a message via ICQ to taylormemer Send a message via AIM to taylormemer Send a message via Yahoo to taylormemer
^^

That is my guess to the problem, the truss rod may need adjustment to remove the dead notes. Quite common really.

DeviantART|¤¤|DS-Lair|¤¤|Dissectional|¤¤|Pearl Drums|¤¤|Viralsound|¤¤|PabUK
Hey you! Don't tell me there's no hope at all. Together we stand, divided we fall.My PLAYLIST

MSN: taylor.jake@hotmail.com
taylormemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2006, 09:00   #10
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

^^ where would that be located on an acoustic electric? I've never had to adjust that but would like to know how if I ever had to.

(I know it's easy to find and adjust on a regular electric)

Old 11th June 2006, 10:50   #11
skryingbreath
Post initializing...

Some necks are just fucked. On my Ibanez electric it does the same thing on the seventh freth. On my Mocking Bird it does it on the third.

Nothing you can *really* do. Try bigger guage strings or raising the action a bit, but not too much else you feel like losing playability.
skryingbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2006, 09:53   #12
. - .... .- -. ....
Backpacking

Send a message via ICQ to . - .... .- -. .... Send a message via Yahoo to . - .... .- -. ....
Quote:
Originally posted by swingdjted
^^ where would that be located on an acoustic electric? I've never had to adjust that but would like to know how if I ever had to.

(I know it's easy to find and adjust on a regular electric)
It depends. Many acoustic electrics have a cover plate at the back of the head that, once uncovered, exposes an allen bolt that can be adjusted. Though I have seen others that the truss rod can be adjusted through the sound hole.

Like my photography? Buy some here....
. - .... .- -. .... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2006, 13:55   #13
ujay
Forum King

I wrote a whole screed on truss rods and stuff yesterday, but somehow it never got sent

If you think this is fret buzz then try the truss rod, most often on acoustics you get at the compression nut through a plate on the front of the head, usually disguised as an escuchion. The better ones are adjusted with a tommy bar. Raise the action(at the bridge) or take some emery cloth to the offending fret(best found with the straight edge of a pocket rule).
This is always a bit of a balancing act and if its causing resonances elswhere then it can be the devil to get rid of completely. You can usually tell if it's fret buzz though.

As JFASI said earlier many problems come mainly with age. Hold the guitar up and sight across the soundboard, look for any humps and hollows, often a sign a rib has become unstuck. Just below the bridge is a favourite spot, most guitars develop this and usually it's not a problem.
Sight up the neck as well, look for any twisting, and obvious irregularities in the frets. All good things to look for buying second hand, most of the guitar fixing I've done has been for people who dug up something that had been sitting in the garage for the last 10 years.
Twisted necks are a nightmare, I only ever had to fix one once, wouldn't want to do another

UJ
ujay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2006, 17:31   #14
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by ethan_h
It depends. Many acoustic electrics have a cover plate at the back of the head that, once uncovered, exposes an allen bolt that can be adjusted. Though I have seen others that the truss rod can be adjusted through the sound hole.
Sadly it's adjusted through the sound hole. After some searching, I finally found the paperwork on it buried in a file cabinet. I don't like that design because you have to take the strings off to access it, and don't you need strings on to see how much to adjust it?

Old 12th June 2006, 18:53   #15
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by swingdjted
don't you need strings on to see how much to adjust it?
Loose is probably the problem. So tighten gently. You should be able to get at it without taking all the strings off so you can see the angle of the dangle. You'll probably know, because the truss should be a little more than finger tight. If it's loose, it should feel loose.
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2006, 19:15   #16
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by rockouthippie
Loose is probably the problem. So tighten gently. You should be able to get at it without taking all the strings off so you can see the angle of the dangle. You'll probably know, because the truss should be a little more than finger tight. If it's loose, it should feel loose.
Thanks. It's not a problem now, but if it ever does become a problem I'll at least know what to do.

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions