Old 1st October 2014, 14:44   #1
mookee

fully working winebottled winamp pro

hi guys

unfurtunatly my good ol pc died and now i got a (my first) mac for. dream cool things btw hihi

thank god, now having winebottler installed, i created a working winamp 5.63 for my mac but many features dont work properly within, like send to, medialibary, etc...a long list.
does anyone know how to create a FULLYWORKING winamp pro winebottle version or even has one for me to send me please?!

AND know how to add plugins with winebottler please..

help us obiwan

V christoph
mookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2014, 22:05   #2
Koogle

finding another music player might be worth trying? might be hard on the mac

My signature was just too damn good to be seen here..
Koogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2014, 22:37   #3
mookee

no way
Old 1st October 2014, 22:53   #4
DrO

Winamp + Wine don't work well at the best of times since Wine doesn't support everything needed, and trying to get it working via it on a Mac is even more troublesome from what i've heard.

i know Winamp can work under Wine, but you often have to ensure you've specified certain commctrl (and other system dll) versions to ensure it'll work correctly. and then you hit the issues with window placement and all that being just plain messed up.

would just be simpler to have a simple Windows VM and run it under that if you really must run it and have to / willingly use a Mac (but iTunes on the Mac is so lovely... ).
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2014, 19:26   #5
mookee

hey.

thats too bad. i guess if even you dont have a good solution i will just virtual it.. but too bad anyway.
yeah.. somehow everything is so lovely on the mac... (exept for the lack of deep preferences adjustments for anything ...dear god, where are all of them?)

thanks. ill be back
Old 3rd October 2014, 21:56   #6
DrO

that's because you don't need things like that on a Mac
Old 4th October 2014, 13:11   #7
mookee

hmmm..
Old 4th October 2014, 13:15   #8
DrO

btw, why base your setup on 5.63 and not the current 5.666 release? also i'd have to suggest trying to do what you're trying to achieve with the development version of Wine as at least based on what i've tried on linux, the 1.7.x releases (at the time of this reply) work better than the stable release, but it's still far from an ideal solution if you have to run Winamp under Wine).
Old 4th October 2014, 13:32   #9
mookee

nevermind my 5.63 preference, i just had my troubles everytime! i tried 5.666, so..
what is far from ideal? what can i expect or what cant i expect. are plugins working?

lg c
Old 4th October 2014, 13:44   #10
DrO

i don't have a mac that can even run it so i don't know what the actual issues would be, i can only base things against what i can try on linux (so it's not necessarily going to be the same as what is seen on a mac based version of Wine).

like the media library wouldn't show it's contents under a classic skin but would when using Bento.

as for 3rd party plug-ins, i've no idea as it's really going to depend on what they need from Winamp and the OS as to how well they'd work.

as for 5.63 vs 5.666, 5.666 is what i've been trying on linux and for me it was a bit more reliable than earlier 5.6x releases. but then anything is possible when running Winamp in a system that is not feature complete and isn't it's intended usage case.
Old 25th October 2014, 13:30   #11
mookee

still, do you know anyone who managed to have a at least working winebottled version of winamp for mac? may you can refere me to him/her please.
am asking cause, who else would know

V
Old 25th October 2014, 13:35   #12
DrO

i'd never heard of winebottled until this thread so i'm not the one to know.
Old 25th October 2014, 15:38   #13
mookee

damn ,/
Old 25th October 2014, 15:47   #14
DrO

all i know is Winamp generally runs under Wine, but it's got issues:
  • window placement / movement issues
  • scrollbar drawing which breaks the library window
  • some of the menus not working correctly
  • just being more unstable than it is on Windows
  • everything else i've forgotten about
some of the things can be worked around like the library + scrollbar issue (though doing that means Wine has failed in it's main goal) and might be worked around for 6.x, but it's never going to be 100% unless running natively on Windows.
Old 25th October 2014, 21:55   #15
mookee

okay. thank you very much, its a starting!) still, if it ever comes to your ears someone got the main issues solved, and especially has more experience with it - please, tell me/him/her.. am looking for solutions

i will give wine another shot, maybe i just havent done it right anyway

btw. , not that it is its only problem )) but why is there no flac support on the Wmp macversion..i was shocked

lg christoph
Old 25th October 2014, 21:58   #16
ChiggyChiggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mookee View Post
okay. thank you very much, its a starting!) still, if it ever comes to your ears someone got the main issues solved, and especially has more experience with it - please, tell me/him/her.. am looking for solutions

i will give wine another shot, maybe i just havent done it right anyway

btw. , not that it is its only problem )) but why is there no flac support on the Wmp macversion..i was shocked

lg christoph
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?p=3007240

*If you have issues with Winamp, ensure you have the currently latest version Winamp v5.666 build 3516 & its patches that fix several issues
*To remove the currently dead Winamp online stuff, see here: removing online stuff
*If you miss the Autotag feature: Gracenote CDDB Autotag alternatives
ChiggyChiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2014, 22:02   #17
DrO

any issues are fundamentally down to Wine / whatever as it shouldn't be necessary for native Windows programs to have to change their behaviour to work correctly on it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mookee View Post
because the Mac client relied entirely on what Quicktime (or whatever it is the OS provides). it was about as far away in it's implementation from how the Windows version does things as you can get. i can't remember if there was going to be support to make it use more of what the Android client used (which could support other formats if needed) before it was killed off.

as the Mac client always seemed more of an experiment in trying to do things differently than being what was expected for a Mac desktop client compared to the Windows client (but that's just how i saw it as being so i'm probably wrong).

[edit]
re-encoding things to ALAC was never a valid solution and just shows how the Mac client missed the point of things (especially based on the precedent that the Windows client had set) as it caused an instant disparity in format support between the clients by effectively being a Quicktime wrapper that was mainly a iTunes clone with the Winamp name slapped on it.

for something that could have stood out from the crowd and provided a different / fresh way of doing things, it just ended up trying to do like the rest of the iTunes clones and is why i think the Mac client never got many downloads / users.

note: all of the above is just my own view on the Mac client (which i think shows i never rated all that highly).
Old 25th October 2014, 22:10   #18
ChiggyChiggy

It sounds like the Mac version worked the same way that something that relies on DirectShow would on Windows, if thats the case then Perian (Mac equivalent of the Klite Code Pack) could be of help.

Perian stopped development some years back, but its been continued here i believe https://github.com/MaddTheSane/perian/releases

*If you have issues with Winamp, ensure you have the currently latest version Winamp v5.666 build 3516 & its patches that fix several issues
*To remove the currently dead Winamp online stuff, see here: removing online stuff
Old 25th October 2014, 22:13   #19
ChiggyChiggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
for something that could have stood out from the crowd and provided a different / fresh way of doing things, it just ended up trying to do like the rest of the iTunes clones and is why i think the Mac client never got many downloads / users.

note: all of the above is just my own view on the Mac client (which i think shows i never rated all that highly).
I never really used Winamp for mac myself to know what it was like, but how was it different than the Windows version? o: Looks wise it looked like Winamp with a touch of OS X to make it fit in with the rest of the OS.

Old 25th October 2014, 22:17   #20
DrO

i can't explain why, it just wasn't Winamp to me, which probably doesn't make sense but that's just how i viewed it. especially as it just didn't do things the Winamp way. hence my comment of it being more like an experiment.

is like using XMMS or anything else which loads Winamp skins where it may look like Winamp but the interaction / functionality just varies enough to obviously not be Winamp - and that's what the Mac client was like, but just far more like a re-branded iTunes-clone was how i found it to be and not all that Winamp-like.
Old 25th October 2014, 22:38   #21
mookee

Quote:
any issues are fundamentally down to Wine / whatever as it shouldn't be necessary for native Windows programs to have to change their behaviour to work correctly on it.
good point!

about the macamp, i totally agree and understand now..hmm. to be continued...
Old 25th October 2014, 22:40   #22
DrO

you cannot call it "macamp", that'd be a whole can of worms that is best not opened.
Old 26th October 2014, 19:35   #23
mookee

) ..
Old 26th October 2014, 20:12   #24
mookee

btw. O, get yourself a mac! (got mine real capeable macbook pro early2008 for just 350euro..)
realy man, all the things that are frustrating annoying, boring and simply wont work on a pc just work like charme and out of the box here..especially when it comes to multimedia..its allmost ridiculous)) trust me, you wouldnt belive until u see (like i never did!)

therefore its really tooo bad that winamp is actually running on the wrong platform..

in the matter of all day usage
(so am not talking about the usage of very specific programms which might be perfect on a simple! windows XP or earlier (i hate all that came after))
its like there is pc which got winamp and there is mac but without. take wmp away from pc and it would be like "gfy pc". so what am trying to say is, the way i see it since i got my mac, winamps capabilities and a macs (or osx) capabilities are actually f**ing ment for each other and NOT to be seperated.. and they miss each other really bad!! like i miss them .(
there could be a great multimedia device in this world called "computer", but unfortunatly we dont have it because winamp aint running on a mac.. i guess thats what i tried to say

gosch, i wish you could do something about that, but yeah, for what i know about that issue is that its caused by apple and its sourcecode policity, not by winamps lack of interest (am i wrong?). what a world we are living in here?!

sorry, i just had to catch a glimpse on the can of worms.. i stop now..for now..and wont call it macamp again..promise

V christoph
Old 26th October 2014, 20:16   #25
DrO

i have access to a Mac setup and i hate using it - it's counter-intuitive to the way i work and i'm obviously just not the type who gets on with it. as i'd rather work on a Linux client than a Mac one (as i just prefer working on a Linux setup - apart from the distribution quirks which make Windows look like a walk in the park imho).
Old 26th October 2014, 20:29   #26
mookee

i like parks
Old 16th April 2016, 23:23   #27
mookee

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
(but iTunes on the Mac is so lovely... ).

WOW, it actually realy is

if u managed to have it with fluke (i use snowleopart, good enough!!) and got the right plugins

synergy(a must)
dockart
screensleeves
and accubeatmix (dont think it will work with anything else than mp3 but who knows..)

cool

so at least got a nice player now if NOT running bootcamp..
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion