Old 7th February 2014, 13:27   #1
evil_pro

Classic EQ window in modern skin

I've had this problem for some time now.
Sometimes, when I'm in the Winamp Modern skin, the classical EQ windows appears, too.
It looks like this:

If I try to close the window, it does nothing.
After a restart of Winamp it's gone.
Winamp Info Tool report here: http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=Dh9GpiX0
evil_pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2014, 07:26   #2
Aminifu
Forum King

What version are you using? I think this was fixed in one of the last few releases.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1809 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2014, 11:12   #3
evil_pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
What version are you using? I think this was fixed in one of the last few releases.
From the info-tool report:
Quote:
Installed Winamp Version: 5.6.6.3516
Old 8th February 2014, 12:36   #4
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi evil_pro,

Sorry, I overlooked that you provided an Info Tool report at the end of your post. The fix I think I was thinking of is discussed in the following link (there may be others more recent).

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=369139

Unfortunately that user did not respond back, so if additional work is needed it will have to wait until the new owners put together a development team to work on it.

In the meantime, you can try what is suggested in post #2 of the thread linked above (i.e. switching skins, closing the eq window, and switching back).

I'm not familiar with the "wasabi" skin you installed. Maybe it had something to do with this (changed configuration file settings or something).

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Old 8th February 2014, 18:17   #5
JonnyMac

If not that, "ghost" images of Winamp windows can be caused by a desktop enhancer or screen manager (examples: YzShadow here or here | ShoveIt or nView). .Are you using some type of a desktop enhancer or screen manager application? Either add Winamp to the apps's exclude list (if there is one) or disable the app.

Please do not PM me for tech support. Any request for tech support through PM will be ignored.
Read the Stickies
---> | | | | <--- Knowledge is power
JonnyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2014, 05:18   #6
evil_pro

No, I'm not using any programs of that kind. It's a fresh installation of Windows 8.1 Pro 64-Bit
with some basic applications installed, like Chrome, Winamp, Skype and Steam.
Old 10th February 2014, 07:39   #7
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi evil_pro,

The report you posted earlier says Windows 7. I'm not able to test things under Windows 8.1

Anyway, when using a modern skin under Windows 7 (and maybe 8.1) the window for the classic main player is opened off screen (in an area outside the visible area for your screen's resolution). I don't know why Winamp needs to do this, even though all skins are just graphic images for the same underlying user interface. But, this is why you don't see an image of the selected modern skin in the taskbar view and when using <Win+Tab> to cycle thru open desktop apps under Windows 7.

Did you try switching to the classic skin, closing all windows other than the main player, and switching back to the modern skin?

Old 10th February 2014, 09:14   #8
DrO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
Anyway, when using a modern skin under Windows 7 (and maybe 8.1) the window for the classic main player is opened off screen (in an area outside the visible area for your screen's resolution). I don't know why Winamp needs to do this, even though all skins are just graphic images for the same underlying user interface. But, this is why you don't see an image of the selected modern skin in the taskbar view and when using <Win+Tab> to cycle thru open desktop apps under Windows 7
its 'offscreen' irrespective of the Windows version as its due to how the modern skin plug-in was implemented to allow for plug-ins to still work with Winamp (as the native classic skin windows are always there even in modern skin mode but some are more special than other windows and is why some visual quirks have been known to happen).

it wasn't ideal and could have been done differently so it'd have worked better with the newer Windows features but that wasn't something envisioned at the time with plug-in compatibility seen as a higher thing (despite plug-ins already being on the wane at the time) and who knew what Windows was going to do years later.

as for the issue seen, things were changed in 5.66x to try to resolve it though there must still be a timing issue with things that are preventing the classic EQ window from being hidden and the option of force hiding the EQ window in classic skin mode and then going back to modern was the best way to ensure its not shown.
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2014, 02:51   #9
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
its 'offscreen' irrespective of the Windows version as its due to how the modern skin plug-in was implemented to allow for plug-ins to still work with Winamp (as the native classic skin windows are always there even in modern skin mode but some are more special than other windows and is why some visual quirks have been known to happen).
Thanks for the explanation. This is the result of 15 years of adding features while still trying to maintain backward compatibility (a mostly successful, but ultimately futile, effort). Moving forward, Winamp became a victim of it's popularity.

Maybe the new owners will opt for a full re-write of the core functions/features while maintaining the APIs that allow the newer plug-ins to still work. As always, the issue is how will this be paid for and whether new plug-in developers are willing to give away the fruit of their labor or accept some nominal payment.

Old 11th February 2014, 10:52   #10
DrO

it's also because of the module nature of Winamp and having the modern skin support as a plug-in was the only way so a 'lite' or customised version can still be provided. yes it's a potential problem but that's how the desktop client is and deviating too much from that just leads to failures in people not updating (and what's then the point of making new clients if people don't download them...? as that's one of the reasons why we're in this new position).

and there have been new plug-in types created but they're mainly background services for the existing types to use and share and that is not a bad thing, but calling for 're-writes' is futile as most things work. plus re-writing something so it's better but looks / works the same as before is hard to convince people to download, just like the shear joke that people view there being crash fixes in every releases (as after 16yrs there shouldn't be bugs... right?).

yes there's things which can be improved and most of which generally can be done a plug-in at a time but as has been seen, Winamp users don't like things being changed (even if it's for the better) and is why there's so many still on the decade old 2.9x version (why update when it works ok for me?) or they refuse to go above a specific version because of a single unsupported plug-in from the early 2000s. it's just insane and that's why Winamp (as far as the desktop client) is well past it's prime and with other changes in desktop usage is why it's been on the wane (so it'll just be a niche player for those that want it and that it suits there needs).

i know this will come across as my seemingly normal negativity but it's just being realistic in that dedicated desktop media clients are a shrinking group and after the 'large' ones, only a few niche players are going to remain in some form (what that'll be only time in the coming years will show). that's why WAFA was getting most of the development resources previously as mobile is the way to go (even if it's at the detriment of those who still require a desktop client which was sadly ignored for Winamp and drastically affected the usage of the desktop client).

and Winamp as-is generally works and yes it'd be wonderful to see it's short comings fixed and it be less 'hacky' and to implement it all consistently without the 'too many cooks' aspect that has been on it but with user apathy and expectations mean that it's limited in what can be done (as definitely parts of existing functionality aren't going to exist in any new client version provided).

anyway, we'll just have to wait and see what will happen in the coming months.
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2014, 12:12   #11
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
anyway, we'll just have to wait and see what will happen in the coming months.
In this case, I would like to think of a re-write as being more like restoring a classic car, but I understand what you're saying, you're just keeping it 'real'. After enjoying using Winamp for over 15 years, I'm just dreading the day when the Winamp to come will no longer be the Winamp I love. Hopefully it will remain a unique desktop app worth using.

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support